Masters Running

Sunday, June 15th Daily......Father's Day Special (Read 438 times)

Good morning. There are some good race results showing up already from the weekend. Thanks to each one who posts. All of us enjoy these reports. Father's Day! Certainly the word "Father" evokes emotion from us all. For me, it is a wonderful emotion. My Dad has been gone now for 23 years and I still find myself wishing I could ask him for advice when certain situations arise in life. A kind, quiet man he loved to help people and always had an incredible garden from which he freely shared the vegetables with many. The circumstances of the early days of his life, did not allow him to even finish high school, but that did not stop him from eventually becoming the manager of a department in a large paper mill. It was a position that required a university degree at the time, but they made an exception in his case just because he knew the paper making industry so well. He never stopped learning and was always experimenting on what types of vegetables grew best together. He used radish planted in a circle to protect other plants from bugs. He would plant certain plants on the edge of the garden to ward off deer from going to the middle of the garden where he had crop he wanted protected. With no background in construction, he pulled together an old barn, a shed and a garage to form the house that I grew up in. He actually used this shell to totally rebuild it over time, to become the beautiful house that is was. Four acres of lawn were developed with shrubs, flowers, trees and bushes of every sort were carefully placed to form a showcase of horticulture. A favorite story goes back to the early 1960's when I went window shopping for cars with him. He always liked Oldsmobiles. On this particular occasion, we were at the Bean and Conquest Oldsmobile dealership in Bangor, Maine where he often bought. One particular vehicle caught his eye and after inspecting it carefully he moved around to the window sticker to check the price. I can still see him flinch as he eyed the numbers and said aloud..."Yea...sure....the day I will pay more than $3,000 for a car simply won't happen." Some 20 years later, I came home to visit my parents. I was now an adult and had my family with me to visit them. Soon our conversation turned to a new Oldsmobile that Dad had recently bought, that was sitting in the front yard. He invited me outside to look it over and together we admired the features that this new beauty had. Finally I turned and asked...."Dad, did you get this for less than $3,000?" With a chuckle he said....."You remember that day huh"? "Yes" I replied, "and I will never forget it". I managed a nice 6.5 mile run yesterday afternoon and was planning on more miles when a much appreciated rain shower showed up to get me heading home. I hope to put in a few more nice miles this afternoon. I trust you have a wonderful day. If you have your Dad still living, be sure to honor him with a visit, a call, or in some other way. Literally, were would you be without him? Enjoy this special day.
    Vista
    SteveP

Thanks for getting us started Vista. Your thought provoking post makes my brain all hurting. My dad is a good man. Though we didn't get to know each other until my mid 30's. He tried and we'll leave it at that. Those male boomers who have children...be an active father, even if you didn't have one. Though I have no fruit of my loins, I have four setp kids. Now a grandson!! Sweet!!! As I grew up, I needed an adult male role model. Thank goodness for comic books! It could have very easily been the 24 year old single guy who got the 13 year olds high. He wasn't a pervert, but still, not the kind of guy you want your kids looking up to. A greeting card company offered free cards to prison inmates for Mother's Day. They ran out and had to make another shipment. The same card company offered free cards to the same inmates for Father's Day. 90% of the cards went unused. http://www.fathersloveletter.com/Newsletter/newsjune07.html . Where would these people be with an active father? Today is the day that the greatest number of collect phone calls are made. There are single Mom's in this forum. God bless them. Encourage your kids to have healthy relatioships with adult men. If it's healthy, make sure it's the child's dad. As men can not be both a Father and a Mother to their kids, a woman can not be both a Mother and a Father. Kids need healthy male examples. They will find male role models. Guide them. Men in this forum who had absent fathers, we can not change history. Often, I ask myself what a good Dad would do, then I do it to the best of my ability. Kids need us just as much as we need them. I'm far from a perfect role model. The kids and I have a loving, friendly relationship. However, we're not friends. The kids have lots of friends. They need a Dad. As we step up to the starting line at races, we need to step up to the plate as men...... ..... .... Off the soap box nowand into a comfy cape

SteveP

Happy Father's Day Thanks for the start Vista Up at 5am today to take DD to BIL's in nearby town so she can go on vacation with his family to Outer Banks. BIL from Allentown & family will meet them there at the 5 bedroom beach house. DD is 20 yrs. & there will be 7 kids under 10. I think she will be glad when the week is over. Well we used the chance to run somewhere different, a very nice paved trail for 6 easy miles w/DW on the perfect running morning 56F sunny on a mostly shaded trail. Smile Two afternoon summer college games to ump today then to in-laws for Father's Day dinner hopefully DS will be in from Cleveland. Father's enjoy your one day for this year! Wink

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Happy Father's Day to my Dad. And also to all of you who may be Dad's. If your Dad's are still with us, be sure to let them know you're thinking of them. My Dad was (and is) a quiet, kind man who was shaped by his upbringing - he was the yougest of 5 children, all his older siblings are girls - and all more than a decade older than him. When they were discovering "boys", he was not the boy they had in mind. So he tended to be alone a lot. He grew up on a very small family farm and learned to work hard. But more importantly, he learned he didn't want to work manual labor all his life. So he used his considerable brain and will power to become the first of the family to graduate college. He became one of the first people to ever work on a computer. Those monstrous things with vacuum tubes and room size cooling systems, that had less computing power than what we have in our MP3 players now. I am a second generation computer guy. The example was set. I got his quiet nature also. His upbringing makes it hard for him to physically show his love - no hugs for me or my brother for example - men of his time didn't do that. But I never have doubted that he loves all of us dearly. He tried hard at one point to hug me, during one particularly painful time in my life - a story I'll relate to you all in a month of so. But not much since. Dad is a good man, with a great heart. I Love You dad. Oh yeah. Running. 14.5 hot and sweaty miles at a sluggish 9:30 min/mile pace. But it's done! And I'm happy with it. 48.4 miles for the week. The most since before Eugene. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Nice racing yesterday from Karin, Tim, Perch, and Holly. (Hope I didn’t miss anyone.) Nice pics from Steve and Ace! 14.1 miles @ 9:11 this morning (142 AHR) on my mostly flat course. Sweating buckets but felt good overall. Took a cold water bath (no ice) when I got back, which felt great. Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there! 16.02 miles of hills @ 9:25 pace...everything felt good today and I could have run longer but decided that 16 was enought for today. My last split was 8:59. I put together a Chicken-Penne-bean salad last night and have a lot of it left over for lunch today...perfect meal following a nice LR today. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Quick post for now. Just over 18 miles this morning with a friend of mine. They finally posted the results from the 5K I ran last week! I was 18/277 OA. Not bad, but not good enough for a trophy as they handed them out in 10 year brackets. Would have had 3rd if it was 45-49. Sad Such is life. Happy Sunday runs all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy father's to all, too. a little strange that a made up holiday can be positive for so many but bitter-sweet for some. Maybe that means it needed to be made up. Seems worthwhile. As I have mentioned a couple times in the past, I lost my Dad when I was 8 (he was 38) to a heart attack. I feel lucky to have had many friends, neighbors, and relatives that served as good role models, but still feel as I must have missed a few things along the way. Hope my kids will feel I was a good dad--I tried the best I could. And I hope my son will feel he had a good role model, too. On a much serious note, (but still uplifting for me Smile ) a very nice run for me this morning after dropping DD off at work. 5.2 miles in 50:53 for a new post-shin high. there are a series of streets that run off Main street on my lake loop that have a nice rise up to the next cross street, so I got the benefit of added distance and up and downs that I don't get on the base loop. I'll definitely do this one again. it also started pouring about halfway through, but since it was 60, it felt really good. definate squelch in the shoes by the end! and the only reason it didn't look like I went swimming, was that the back of my shorts were still a little dry. Kevin eta: DW just made me a very nice breakfast of scrambled eggs with ham and cheese. Yum. now I get to sit and digest whilst reading the Sunday Globe. All is good.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Happy father's day, everyone. I sure miss mine. It was just the way I like it today -- let's leave it at that. I decided to run pretty easy, this longest run since my last marathon -- it's also the first week I ran completely to plan in a while. Nice racing all of you from yesterday -- who's racing today? Workout: 13.2 miles, 8:55/mi, AHR 150 Overall: 14.2 miles, 2:07 Stay cool.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

............well, there's about 5 songs you DON'T want stuck in your head during a run,,,,,,, unfortunately I got ''Kalinka'',,,,,, it's a toss up between it and the ''O-Reo'' Wizard of Oz Song..... ..here it is if you want it stuck in your headl..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_A7Hu0uKNw ============ .....but I digress......... ........55min track run.........unlike my Father's Day Run from a few years ago,, not a drunk to be seen....... ..70's when I got there, 80's when I left....Life is Good..... ................good running guys..........off to my 2nd Church ..... ============ ...

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Happy Fathers day to the fathers!!!!!!!!! My focus today is going to be to "celebrate" the father in my house today since both of our kids are gone overseas. We will start off the day with a delightful breakfast, then off to church, then a day in the woods hiking, mushroom hunting and a "surprise" romantic picnic at the end. Peter, that salad sounds great. Wanna share the recipe? Happy and relaxing day to all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Happy Father's Day to the dads out there. (And step-dads!) 15.13 miles in 2:48:40, 11:09 pace. Thankfully it was a little cooler than last Sunday and I survived a bit better. Now a quick shower and off to have brunch with dear-old-dad.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Happy Fathers' Day everyone. What a gorgeous day!! Came 3rd overall in my 5K race today out of 543 runners. 1st in my AG. Great race but hot..humidity was a killer. It is a great race an in support of Prostate Cancer. I run it every year but this year was special as my girls were with me and got to see me race hard. Unfortunately my record this year of not being passed in the later stages fell as a young buck went by me with a K to go and I could not catch him back. An age grouper tried to do the same but with 400 to go I blitzed him hard and he never recovered. I finished in 17:22 not super fast but in this heat a solid run. Look at the strength of the 40 year olds in this race. First time I have beaten my nemesis and goo friend Frank. Place Name City Bib# Time Chip Pace Category Category Place Gender Place 1 MATTHEW VOIPI OTTAWA 887 17:08.2 17:05.8 3:26 Men 19 - 29 1/26 1/288 2 TERRY RUSHWORTHY OTTAWA 824 17:16.5 17:14.0 3:28 Men 30 - 39 1/54 2/288 3 FRANCOIS GUAY STITTSVILLE ON 510 17:25.6 17:22.6 3:30 Men 40 - 49 1/75 3/288 4 JEAN-FRANCOIS FILLION GATINEAU 857 17:27.0 17:24.4 3:30 Men 40 - 49 2/75 4/288 5 MARCUS BOYLE OTTAWA ON 915 17:35.6 17:31.9 3:32 Men 40 - 49 3/75 5/288 6 ROB LIVINGSTON NEPEAN ON 579 17:37.7 17:34.4 3:32 Men 40 - 49 4/75 6/288 7 FRANK WRIGHT GLOUCESTER ON 163 17:40.6 17:39.1 3:33 Men 40 - 49 5/75 7/288 8 RANDY FONTAINE OTTAWA ON 1106 17:42.2 17:38.9 3:33 Men 30 - 39 2/54 8/288 9 ADAM LEWANDOWSKI GLOUCESTER ON 576 17:48.7 17:48.7 3:34 Men 19 - 29 2/26 9/288 10 PHILIPPE KEARNS OTTAWA 905 17:50.1 17:50.1 3:35 Men 40 - 49 6/75 10/288 11 HAROLD WALKER OTTAWA ON 927 17:51.1 17:50.0 3:35 Men 40 - 49 7/75 11/ I received a $75 gift card to the running room. Nice. Off to brunch with the girls. Have a great day. Hungry Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Happy Fathers Day fellow fathers ! Went for a run today. I started out just going by feel and to get in a kind of longer run since my marathon. I had no real plan and most times these turn out to be my best runs. Well it started out that way and I got through the first 3 miles at a 8.5 mile pace and feeling strong. I turned the corner and decided 6 miles would be a good distance for my first week back. At about the 3.5 mile mark I felt a grinding sensation in my left knee. I stopped stretched walked a little and took off again. No pain and no grinding feeling, I thought OK just a tight muscle or tendon pulling on my knee and the stretching must have taken care of it. No because at about every 1/2 mile after that I stopped and had to stretch or walk. I am home now with no pain no swelling and it feels fine. Confused I am not sure what to do . I don't run again until Tuesday and I am planning on wearing a knee support but I am not really sure what else to do. I will just see what happens next time out I guess. My father was not rich , he was not super smart, he was not a great athlete , he did not run a big corporation or invent the wheel. He just loved me and his family and that's what being a father is all about. I follow in his footsteps knowing that my sons know that where ever they are or what ever they may need I will be there for them to my dying day. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

dg.

good morning & happy father's day! From what I've read, the fathers & stepfathers in this group are exceptional. hugs to you all. thanks for starting us, Joey. I'm enjoying all of your thoughtful posts today, but don't think I'll get serious right now. It's percolating in the back of my head, but may stay there. SteveP, I esp. liked your late post yesterday & your post this morning. Very nice (ice) picures. Wink. WTG all of yesterday's racers! I was wondering the same thing as Lou, who's racing today? Should go look at Ilene's thread (thanks Ilene!). Eliz, I'm so glad you're feeling better! That was an awful bout you had. TW, glad little Claire is good, definitely we need pics. So nice that it at least sounds like you are not injured right now. Is this true? Kevin, congrats on your most since shin! Glad you're having a nice morning. Holly, thanks for your post-- I think it was Friday. It made me think. I really thought I was being cautious! The good thing is that Friday's plan worked out well, no repurcussions, but I have been cutting it a little close. Sure I want to progress too fast! Really did that in April, a teeter-totter since. I'm going on too long here.. but it was a timely post. I actually (no one else read this) caught myself thinking that maybe i could do 9 today. I was doing a flatter route than the neighborhood, & thought let's just bump it up. I've never done more than 7! or 5, since the injury. Where do thoughts like that come from? there was no danger of this one happening, but still. I really liked today. I tried the river route (thanks again MarkGuy if you are looking in) for the first time this year. got there about 6:30, & they were getting ready for a 5 & 10K which I didn't know about. teeny thoughts of jumping in but nope. Wasn't sure how it would all work out but it was good. I escaped before it really got crazy & didn't hit anybody. My HRM wasn't working! Everything else was, so maybe a battery thing. Using auto-lap along with manual laps I don't recommond, fwiw. 63F, 87%H. mist over the river. Didn't get hit by a goose. Overall was 4.72, run was 3.72. just shy of 9. But the average pace was 9:58.25... first time ever under 10, I think. Barely, but under! Max pace was 7:25. Best mile was 9;35. I did take very small walk breaks several times because my hr was too high. but it made me happy because many times when i wasn't really pushing it I looked down & the pace was in the 7 or 8 range. Just can't maintain it for very long, I guess. I'm liking this running stuff. So, Peter got 16 for today, I got 16 for the week. Smile. Back outside before the thunderstorms hit. Nancy, i hope today is just perfect. PDR, glad you survived better; enjoy your time with dear-old-dad. have a great day, everybody. mta, wtg Tall! {{{ Larry's knee}}}