Masters Running

Injury question (Read 165 times)

umwb

So... I went to the 5K soles for souls run today, I should mention that this would be my first race since I twisted my ankle in last May's 12k. I am running about 7 miles during my training runs so I did not anticipate any problems with a 5K . The New Balance truck was there, and if you tried a new pair of shoes during the race, at the end you had a chance to win them in a raffle. So with that little voice in the back of my head saying " dont do it, dont take the chance " I pulled off my Brooks and put on a new pair of New Balance 769's. The first mile went by well enough I checked my watch and I was at a 9.15 pace, soon after that I felt some tightness in my left calf, I must have adjusted my stride to accomodate my calf or something because I then felt a slight amount of tightness on the inside of my right knee. I slowed down a bit and it seemed to feel better and by the end of the race I hardly felt it at all. I checked my watch and I finished at 30.19...So now here I am a few hours later I can hardly walk or straighten my right leg Angry Angry and I'm thinking, Why did I wear those shoes?....So... does any one have any experience with this kind of injury? could an unfamiliar pair of shoes cause this?, Oh yea no I didnt win the Raffle Black eye
    When I'm not running I'm on my Triumph Rocket 3 !
    coastwalker

Hi UMWB, I hate to say it, but you should'a listened to that little voice in the back of your head.Take a day or three to rest up, and then, if you are walking OK,head back out with your Brooks shoes. If things are back to normal, and you are running without your new-found pains, you'll know that those 769s just weren't the right shoes for you, or at least that they needed more breaking in before being worn in a race. Frankly, the folks at NB should have known better than to encourage people to wear brand-spanking new shoes in a race! Good luck! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Hill Runner

UMWB Sorry to hear about your leg but I suspect that it really doesn't have much to do with you change of shoes for a 30 minute run especially since the Brooks and NB are both Stability shoes. Sometimes we are just on the cusp of getting an injury and it may have nothing to do with a change of shoes. Take a break for a while and give yourself a rest. If it is something that you feel is more serious then seek some medical advice. Good luck.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13