Masters Running

Sunday Sep 6 Runs and Workouts (Read 309 times)

Me first?

I tell you, flat and cool beats hilly and hot any day Smile  I ran up past Lexington from Cambridge on the minuteman bikeway http://www.minutemanbikeway.org/Pages/intro.html .  It really is a nice run.  I guess it was slightly uphill on the way out (only 200' "climb" over 5.5 miles which helped my pace just a bit on the way back.  I was happy to find a fountain in Lexington to refill my water bottle.

15.2 miles, 2:08:52, 8:30/mi, AHR 143 (73% MHR)

5@9:00(137), 5@8:30(142), 5.16@8:01(149)

Time for a shower then eggs and sausage, yum.

Go racers!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Renee the dog

13.7 miles run on purpose as a depletion run.  I'm not fully functional yet.  Missed the final .3 mi since my family was already at the deck of our favorite breakfast joint...wasn't mentally tough enough to run around the block.

Will do a 1/2 mi TM penalty run this afternoon for penance. 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps

21-mile progression run…more or less.  I was trying to sense my pace without looking too often at my Garmin.  I went out a little fast, got hot in the sun later on, and didn’t quite finish on pace.

6@9:00--right on target (8:59)

5@8:45--oops, too fast (8:32)

4@8:30--still a little fast (8:22)

3@8:15--hit 8:10...but was hurting

2@8:00--nope, not gonna happen (8:11)

1 mile untimed cool-down

8:27 overall average.

Be safe. Be kind.

spacityrunner

7.5 wonderfully sunny miles in 1:30...just what I wanted to do.  Went over the 14th st. bridge and along the Mt. Vernon Trail.  Beautful river and monument views, weeping willows and all sorts of bright green trees...it was so nice to get "out of the city" for a bit. 

Lots of folks out there today enjoying this wonderful weather. 

WRFB:  I like flat and cool too...

Nono:  I would not be able to run past my fav breakfast place either...especially with family a waiting...good call.

Good runs and good day everyone!

Trails Rock!

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice long runs already for Lou, Nono, Tramps, and Liz!

Erika, I loved your picture yesterday of Cheyenne and Midnight.  My first dog, Sherpa, once helped raise a litter of kittens, because the mama cat was barely more than a kitten herself, and largely ignored her kittens.  When they were tiny, they would get out of their basket and wander away, then meow pitifully when looking for their mom.  Sherpa would pick them up gently in her mouth and put them back in their basket, while the mother cat lay on the windowsill and watched.  The cats belonged to my roommate, and she kept one from the litter. When he was full-grown, Sherpa would still pick him up by the scruff of the neck and carry him, but he was so big his legs were dragging on the ground. He'd just go limp and let her drag him around - he probably thought she was his mother!  Then when she put him down, he'd roll over on his back and bat at her with his paws. Very cute.  I'm not normally a cat person, although there have been certain cats I was very fond of (mostly the ones that acted more like dogs!)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I too am celebrating Int'l Long Run Day.

19 miles, 2:41:something

1-9 hilly, 9+ m/m

9-18 MP-ish 7:50 m/m

1 mile WD. 133/189

It's beautiful out today....I'm glad I got out before the sun warmed things up too much.

Good runs to all today.

Walt

dg.

hi all

very nice runs & views !

Carolyn that is such a sweet story. 

LR for me too but not really so long.  12.02.   I saw Markguy, twice.  Smile   will post tmi later, as usual.  :-)

evan, sorry to hear about your dog.  It sounds like he had a good life.  teresa, good job by both of your sons at their XC meet.  rs, nice 5K with PR.  Buckeyechamp, good job by your daugter in her XC race.  Twocat, congrats to your wife on her 10 mile race and distance PR.  lynden, good for your daughter, joining the XC team.

In the long run category, yesterday seems to have been an elevation change day for fatozzig, wild, and evan.  Other long runs for CNY, breger, deez, Tammy, WRFB, nono, Tramps, Walt, and dg (with MarkGuy siting).

This morning it was in the low 50s, calm, and with some fog.  I got in 8 miles in about 1:18:40 for a 9:50 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice long runs!

...we'll at least mine FELT like a long run Smile

I'm ditching the big hills and running flatter and faster next week....

15.5 miles in 2:14:19 (8:40 overall pace)

• 1 mile warmup with the dogs (dog jog pace)
                    • 10.5 miles very hilly along the City of Oaks Marathon route (Raleigh) which goes through Umstead Park. Managed to average 8:20 for this loop (a PR)
                    • 4 miles cooldown in the Umstead hills at 8:56

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Some very nice LRs today and some scary elevation charts yesterday.....

Erika - I love the picture of Cheyenne and Midnight.  How old is Midnight now?  I know it's rather soon to bring it up, but have you thought about getting another dog?  Sometimes it eases the hurt if you have another one to pour your love onto.

Absolutely sucky 15 mile run for me today - legs tired and sluggish, no energy whatsoever.  I started out as a wave run, with miles 3 and 5 at 8:30and 8:28 but just gave up attempting any speed after that, and ended up taking walk breaks near the end just to make it home. (ave pace, including walk breaks, was 10:30)

{{{Men - TMI alert}}}  I figured out later in the day why I had zero energy.  Ladies - do any of you find that your runs are affected by your monthly cycle?  I have found, again and again, that the 1-4 days directly preceeding my period I have a noticeable drop in energy, sometimes quite extreme.  I'll be okay to get through maybe an hour of running, but after that it's like my muscles have no energy left in them at all.  I can only hope that my goal marathon doesn't fall into this span of time.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Maniac 505

absolutely soaked 10 miles this morning.  park was almost empty.  all the ankle deep lakes broke in my new shoes nicely.  My MP3 player drowned.  hopefully it will come to life when it dries out.

Mari is no doubt getting soaked on her hiking trip.  bet she will have some stories.

Dave

I too joined the long run parade...

17.5 miles in 2:59, hilly the first 10 then flat after that, that was planned

DW had trouble only got 3.5 miles then had to walk back  seems like a possible piriformis problem

Have 13.1 planned next week then 20 in 2 weeks, so I'm not sure what to have her do now

Of course that all assumes she will recover by next weekend, 6 weeks to marathon.    

Nono it's a good thing breakfast wasn't waiting at mile 8

Lots of nice long runs out there today, great job ladies & gentleman

Changed my avatar since my baseball season is over

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

evanflein

Sorry for the tough run, Holly, but sounds like you might have found a reason. I don't remember mine ever being more than an inconvenience. Glad I don't have many anymore. As for a new dog, I think we're going to wait for awhile. And Midnight just turned 12 in June.

Nice runs for Lou, Steve, Tramps, Walt and Sarge. Nono, I don't blame you a bit. Did you go right from the run to breakfast? I don't think I'd be welcome at the table until at least a good shower...!

After yesterday's longer-than-planned run on the hill, not sure what to do today. Got a really late start after a nice morning of sleeping in, so sort of drifting today. Guess I'll head out on the bikepath and see how far I get. Another gorgeous day here, gotta get out there and enjoy it!!

Nice runs here for many and good celebrations on International Long Run Day too.

Hang tough Holly----you are probably right about the source of the fatigue. 

{{{{{Sarge's DW}}}}}} 

Ran this morning---spectacular day today here----no long run since I am racing 20k tomorrow in New Haven (I'll be thinking of you Twocat)---6.6 miles with some strides. We spent most of the afternoon on Mt. Sugarloaf enjoying the view and lunching with super granny. Perfect day.

Renee the dog

Sarge, LOL -- mile 8 -- I had to run by there at Mile 11 -- what a PITA...and then there's just no more island, or I wouldn't have turned around knowing I'd be .3 short.  I really thought I could do the lap around the restaurant no big deal, but seeing my kids sitting waiting at the table...well, that was it.  Plus, I knew I had beer and french toast waiting.

evanflein, I had my family bring me a fresh shirt and a bunch of baby wipes.  We were on the patio and I was downwind of everyone in the place (Bayside is always thinking!). 

I ran this one intentionally depleted, but in thinking back, I was more depleted than I planned.  I had 1 liter of water than I used to hydrate before and carry.  Then, I had 2 clif shots (I think that's about 67 calories).  That part was OK.  The part that wasn't OK is that I didn't make my dinner last night -- we ended up going to a spur-of-the-moment party on our old block...I ate lightly.  Didn't snack when I got home.  Soooooooooo.....I did pretty good out there, as I ran my miles in the pace range I planned.  

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!