Masters Running

40s+/50s+ On the Run - It's Summer Time!! (w/e 06/27/09) (Read 601 times)

Then followed that beautiful season... Summer....
    Filled was the air with a dreamy and magical light; and the landscape
    Lay as if new created in all the freshness of childhood.

(Henry Wadsworth Longfellow )

Happy Pops Day, Happy Summer Solstice, Welcome to Summer!!  Yee haw!

Well, this is the first time I've ever had 40 or more miles in a week.  Hit 46 today.  Sweet!  Today's 10 was a lesson in power walking the hills as I was tuckered out from yesterday.  I just kept telling myself, "I'm buiding stamina!  I'm building stamina!"  Thankfully, tomorrow is an SRD.  Think I'll be kicking the cats outside in the wee morning hours so I can get some extra sleep.

Yesterday, passed a young woman who was climbing #8 while I was making my first descent.  I turned around at my designated spot and started to climb again.  Came around a corner and saw her sitting on the ground.  She was dizzy and nauseous.  Gave her some of my fluids, told her take her sweatshirt off (sweatshirt?? it wasn't cold!), and we walked for a short bit.  She said she'd eaten that morning, but I think she probably didn't eat well over the past couple of days, meaning the right stuff for exercising.  And that, coupled with getting overheated (sweatshirt, two t-shirts, and long yoga-type pants), did her in.

Also had sort of a run-in with a lady on the highway.  I'm driving through the safety corridor (50 mph zone), and I'm going about 54, creeping past cars that are in the slow lane.  This lady in her big-a$$ truck comes up behind me and sits on my rear, which, of course, PO'd me to no end.  I was going over the speed limit anyway and still creeping past cars, and there were cars in front of me.  I was not getting over.  We get to a point where there's an entry lane at the far left for cars come from the opposite side of the highway and enter the highway, I'm in the left passing lane . . . and she passes me in the entry lane on the left!!  As soon as she got around me, she had to hit her brakes 'cause there was a car in front of me.  HELLO!!!!  I laid on the horn and I gave her the single digit greeting, she gave me a few fist pump w/single digit greetings back, and as soon as I got in the edge of town and could pull over, I called the cops.  Doubt they caught her, but I felt better.  Geez, if you're in that big of a hurry, leave earlier next time!

Anyhoo - Later, folks ~ 

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

All the fast guys were in 10k yesterday so they let me win 2nd in 50-59ag in yesterdays race. Just like my old rodeo cowboy friend of mine used to say,  "if ya go to enough of them they will give you one once in awhile." A good day overall, I guess, I was about 6 seconds slower than last yr at this race and off my pr but a decent race for the sh!tty spring we have had. 24:20. I got in probably 6 m for the day with warmups and running Lynda in and then running her 10yo niece Em in.

Lynda has run that course 3 times, once last summer, once in a jingle bell run and at this summers race and has been within 4 seconds on all 3 races. She was a little faster in the winter race because I was supposed to run it with her injured. I kept trying to speed her up 'cause people were passing us until she got tired of me and sent me on my merry way !!! Spent the rest of the day yesterday after the race attending the festivies at the Nebraskaland days celebration, watching the parade and going to the Buffalo Bill ProRodeo last night.

Nice weekly miles Leslie.

Ev I took your good advice, thanks!

Joe hope the graduation festivities went well.

Arla hope your bad runs are few and far between.

Carol hoping Scooter is coming around.

Jewels and Kelly hiya

Cindy the storms basically formed that nite (thurs) in a line from Sterling to Sydney and marched east, hope Dougs family was spared.

Its a friggin' mess here, was glad to escape for a day.

pics in order cowboy runner, runnin Em in,  Lynda tracking a 20 somethin', sunrise (we got up at 3am)

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Jim - Congrats on the AG placement!  And Lynda - being within 4 secs of 3 different races, good for her!  Great pics, too.  Love the sunrise.

I sure am sorry about the disaster you guys and other folks have faced with these storms, Jim.  Keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey fatozzig and Jim.

Leslie, very nice week of running for you.  And the 22mile run on the trails....very nice!

Jim, nice speedy 5K. 2nd in AG.....doing something right.  Congrats to you and Lynda and Em (look at the knee pump!)  The pics are great....the sunrise is a keepr.

Joe and Arla and mtnchck and jewels and carol and ultra and evryone else......Hello!

9miles for me yesterday evening. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Good Monday morning and a belated Happy Fathers Day,

Nice mileage Leslie, really, really nice.

Jim and Lynda, great race for you both and I love the pics. Glad you got to get away for the day and enjoy yourselves after the mess that the storm caused. That's just horrible.....

Ev, congrats on your race as well. I know I'm a little late but super speedy pace you had there. Not bad for an old fart!

Joe, hope your son's graduation went well. You and your wife should be proud, getting 3 boys through school. It's not always easy.

Shout out to Carol, Cindy and Arla.

Another good week for me last week. 3x at the gym with 2 short runs. Eating healthier and feeling much better.

MTA: My sister starts the P90X program today. She is very determined and her fiance is doing it with her so they have lots of support. She said in 90 days she is going to look like a kick a$$ 52 yr. old. She is the one who ran the half marathon with me.

Have a great week everyone,

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Wohoo, Jim, check out the AG award!!!  I don't care how grown up we are supposed to be by now...getting medals, trophies and whatnot is just fun.  Great time both on the clock and for you, Lynda, and your neice.  LOL, on Linda ditching you in that earlier race.  Sounds familiar.  I did the Speedway Run 5K w/ DH as my first outing coming off my hip injury last yr.  I was encouraging (he calls it nagging) him to go a little faster.  He still claims I was trying to kill him.  So sorry about your wheat crop and all the damage.  Serious bummer Sad  That sunrise sure is beautiful though, and a reminder of better things to come.

Dang Leslie, look at you rack up those miles!  You not only busted 40, you killed it!  Poor lady on the trail, glad you were able to help her out.  Hard to tell what some folks are thinking when they get dressed to work out.  As for the highway incident, please be careful.  Don't want you to be a victim of road rage.  Glad BK is doing better! 

Hey there Jewels, good to see ya!  Good job with the gym, food and running.  Sounds like you are putting all the elements together.  I'm not sure what the P90X program is, but it sounds intense. 

Ev, you are a model of consistency.   I know you are sweltering too, so 9 miles is awesome!

Ran w/ my friend on Saturday, and really was sucking wind.  So we ran a little over 3 miles, hit the coffee shop and then walked another 3.5.  This morning it was already 81 degrees at 6:30 am with no wind, and I didn't even want to know the humidity.  But I got out for a little less than 3 plus sweaty miles + some pushups, situps, etc. at the park.  Was looking at my Garmin Stats and noticed that I might have a chance to reach a mileage high this year if I'll get serious/consistent about it.  Some of my miles are walking, and the pace reflects it, but here's the history:

2007 (starting 6/17...when I got the Garmin) 382 miles 12:22 pace

2008 616 miles 12:59 pace

2009 (through today 6/22) 327 miles 12:43 pace

So if I can log as many miles in the 2nd 1/2 of 2009 as the first 1/2, it could happen.  I tried linking my garmin stuff to the site early on, but may have to try it again so you guys can harass me if I'm not getting the miles in.   

Had a great Father's Day bash here yesterday, and our houseguest arrived so we started getting caught up w/ him as well.  We all met about 20 years ago playing volleyball, and he's getting set to coach HS volleyball for the first time, which is pretty cool Smile.

MTA:  Scooter is doing fine, though not too happy with his special diet.  I am, however, happy to report he is peeing freely.  Thanks for all your well wishes for him, and sorry if that was too much information.

Howdy to everyone...hope you have a great week!   

Progress Trumps Pefection

Carol - You realize that when you ask us to get on your butt about your mileage, um, we will.  Just forewarning you.  Re the highway incident - don't be an a$$ and tailgate me when I've just run for 5:25 hours.  I'm tired, I'm cranky.

Jewels - Good to see you've been getting out there.  Here's a real good, in-depth review of P90X that my coach found on line: http://shapingmyway.blogspot.com/2006/07/p90x-review.html  I've seriously been considering this, but would only use it on my xtraining days.  (Sorry the link is so long.  With this new way of putting in links, I can't figure out how to give the name only to click on like before . . . if that makes any sense.)

Ev - How's the heat down your way??

Rest day for me, thankfully.  I'm still pooped from the weekend, between running and my side work.  However, I'm nearly done with all the extra transcription for awhile.  Whew!

Have a great week ~

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ev - How's the heat down your way??

Hot.

Yesterday the high was 100F.....at run time (6:30 pm) it had cooled down to 96F.    I keep telling myself I've got to start running in the morning. 

But I am not one to really push myself....I go slow and easy and drink plenty. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Yesterday the high was 100F.....at run time (6:30 pm) it had cooled down to 96F.    I keep telling myself I've got to start running in the morning. 

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey Jewels - Did your sister complete the fitness test they recommend? http://www.beachbody.com/text/products/programs/p90x/p90xFitTest.pdf

Just curious.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

I think Ev musta left the gate open 'cause its sure warmed up here.

Anyway 2.5 recovery in the heat and humidity after work but not quite Oklahoma hot.......yet

Jewels good job on the runs &workouts this week!

Carol good news on the pup! Nice workout sat.

suppers on, I am outa here

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Hi Kids, glad to see everyone's busy. I have extremely busy and away from the computer since last week. My 78yo Dad is up from Fla and it's really been like baby sitting for me. He has some issues,some of it just "getting older" stuff,but mostly it's a messed up personality. He took off on us when I was about 15 yo.Reconnected a few years later after marrying his second wife. It didn't effect me so much as my two younger sisters,and my Mom never forgave him. I have mostly forgiven him for a lot of things, mainly because I don't want to carry the weight of a grudge my whole life, but it really comes down to the fact that the whole world revolves around him. With DS's graduation,Father's Day, and some other things going on in RL, it's been a trying and emotional week for me.Mainly my father reminds me of the things not to do and be as a Dad,so I use it as motivation in raising our DD and 2 DS's. Thanks everyone for the congrats on the graduation! Miraculously it cleared up beautifully for the ceremony,and has been raining since.

Thanks for letting me vent. Happier post coming soon.......

Top 'O the World!

G'mornin everyone!  Sounds like the weekend treated everyone perty fair...

Woo-Hoo Jim!!  Now yer the "pup" in a new AG!!!  best make the most of that!!   but I doubt they "give ya one"...& Congrats to Lynda for consistency!  & rubbin' runnin' off on da neice~  Good Job!  Nice pics!  ....nothing serious @ the relatives' places, as far as word's getting around - just messy.

I didn't know Ev was in charge of the "gate" but yeah, supposed to be about 92* again today @ w/this am's humidity levels, well, we will be brewing up some more T-storms again!  I'd figure out night runnin in those temps!

Which means that Carol should be about roasting!!!  Gah!  time to break out the neck coolies & keep the paces easy! Glad Scooter is doing much better...is not TMI to let us know that systems are getting back in check..

Good job Jewels!  Wish I could get my butt motivated to get my core work done! ....btw: P90X has 3 recommended levels....unless you're already a fitness Diva/Dude I would start w/the Lean program for sure...yeeess it'll take longer than 90 days to look like Tony, but you'll be able to pick up your coffee pot in the am! We have the program & the w/o area set up in the basement & have done some of it, but have other things going on just now....

Hey! to everyone else....

Tired, tired, tired this am...some days, finding the time making the time to run this time of year can be such a challenge....my wknd was all mushed together...BBQ Sat pm. got home 1am, back up @ 5:30 to get a couple miles in before loading everyone up to run up to Breckenridge for the guys tee time. Kingdom days (there's always some festival going on wknds in the mtn towns) so, us girls wandered about the shops & vendors & free BBQ....home by 9:30-ish pm...back up 5am for more golf...supposed to do my long run this am...I'm tired - went back to bed for an hour - couldn't sleep really, just couldn't wake up either!....just couldn't get it together to get out & do it early...then it warmed up quick! & kept climbing...I opted out by this time. Doug got home abt noon, got his gear together & went out! IN PEAK HEAT for 14 miserable miles!!! back end was mostly walking...followed by cool shower & nap!  I ended up going out for 2.5 after sunset still warm & sticky - (relatively speaking), got back up @ 6 to try to get more in....dead, leaden, tired, non-perky 5!  I wanna nap, the girls wanna go to the lake....guess I'm swimmin!!

MTA:  posting @ the same time {{{{Joe}}}}  ~ vent away!!  we all need to sometimes!!  You said "is up" meaning he's still there?! ....

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Morning, Friends -

Joe - Feel free to vent anytime.  We all need a release once in awhile.  And it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things with your dad.  You can be very proud that you've turned out to be a good husband, good father - a good man - despite the obstacles.

Cindy - Mary over on the daily found out she's anemic.  Maybe you should check into that, too.  . . . or maybe it's just your circus life.

Jim - Nice recovery run.

5 miles this a.m. w/10 steep hill repeats in about 51:??.  I've changed to do doing my hill repeats on The Hill by my house, which is sort of in two sections.  My goal is to be able to run up that thing without stopping.  However, that wasn't to be today.  My legs were still a bit tired after this past weekend, but, strangely enough, the last 5 repeats and the last 1.5 miles were easier than the first.  Go figure.

BK seems to sort of be on the mend, but I'm still worried about the little guy.  He'll eat if you bring him the food, but he doesn't make an effort to go to his food bowl himself.  Got him some "special" canned food that he seems to like.  Maybe this infection just took a lot out of him and it'll take a bit to bounce back.  He does manage to raise a ruckus, however, when I come at him with a towel and his antibiotics.  I have to "burrito wrap" him in the towel or I can't get the meds down him.

I was cracking up last night - I had 4 syringes (no needles) with meds - 3 for Fats, 1 for BK - and the fluids ready for Fats.  Looked like a frigging cat hospital in my kitchen!  Luckily, Fats is too old to run from or fight me.  He's pretty much resigned to his fate.

Listen to some Patsy Cline at the moment - - - ah, classic!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I didn't know Ev was in charge  

Having Ev in charge of anything is a big mistake.