Masters Running

Thursday It's Almost the Weekend Runs and Stuff (Read 369 times)

No one's started the daily yet? Okay, I'll be brave. 7.5 miles this morning, 9:41 pace, We haven't had any significant rain here in over a month and everything is starting to look pretty wilted. At least I don't have to cut the grass as often!

Holly - how's the ankle this morning? Hope there were no residual effects.

Nice tall ships Henry. Can you imagine what life was like sailing on ships like that back in 1492?

Wow - 90° for Evanflein. You guys must be loving it! Your DH's brother is Palin's attorney? How is everyone handling this latest bit of news? I liked the picture of her in the national news wearing waders. What are everyone's bets she's setting herself up to run for president?

Steve - how is Tag this morning? Between your poison ivy incident and Tag's spill, you guys have had some adventures lately!

Waiting for a road crew to finish surfacing the street in front of my house so I can go to work. This could take a while.

Have a great Thursday, everyone.

Morning, all.  Busy in PA with school and errands all day yesterday, so didn't even scan the daily.  Will catch up this evening.

Glorious morning here in suburban Philly - temps in the mid-60s, low humidity, light breeze.  Just ran the most pleasant 3 miles I can remember in weeks.  Felt extra-sproinky in my new PINK running skirt.    With a pale green top - my inner preppie just won't die.

Another quick errand at school this morning, then lunch with a friend, and I'm on my way back "down the shore" this afternoon.  So grateful to live this dual life of mine on both sides of the Delaware River.

Good Thursdays, all!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning!

Jlynne – the ankle feels fine today, just mildly twingy (whew!).

Erika - that kind of heat just sucks the speed out of you.  Remember in Seattle, the temp when we finished was either 75 or 80, depending on which sign you looked at.  Too hot for marathoning, really.

1.45 miles for me today doing a walk/run with DD (we ran on the sidewalks, then walked across the streets), followed by my favorite lower body workout:

1.Alternating side lunges (20L, 20R), bench step-ups (20L, 20R).
        2. Weighted squats (30), weighted ballet squats (30), split squats (20L, 20R).
        3. Single leg bridges (30L, 30R), forward lunges (20L, 20R)

(we’ll see how my glutes/hams feel tomorrow, given that I haven’t done this since before the Seattle taper), plus lateral raises, push-ups, dumbbell curls, superman lifts, and stability ball crunches, and 4 chin-ups.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Felt extra-sproinky in my new PINK running skirt.    With a pale green top - my inner preppie just won't die.

Very kewl!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Had an eye appointment scheduled for this morning. When I got there they asked if I had received the call re-scheduling my appt.? I hadn't!!! Threw my morning off. But since it's cool and sunny here (sorry;Alaskans and Texans) I'll go out for a 3 miler shortly and bike this afternoon.   

For more on Palin, read Maureen Dowd's column in the N.Y. Times this morning-funny, funny.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Eliz--we can live with the colors--just PLEASE don't tell me you turn the collar up .

I'll have to go through Garmin withdrawal for the next 7-10 days.  Their diagnosis of my erratic HRM readings is that they need to look at the 305 in person.  Nothing of any of the troubleshooting tips worked (battery change, cotton shirt, wearing it on my back, etc) so I''ll be running with just a watch again.  Guess I'll survive.

SteveP--you and Tag sound like a perfectly matched pair.  Hope you both survive your adolescence .

Erika--That's about as close as I've ever come to knowing someone famous.

ETA:  So sorry to hear about Tobias.  he had a well-loved life.  Condolences to SRL.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

4 sproinky miles today.

All thru my run I was thinking of Tobias, SRLopez' dog who went to doggie heaven yesterday. I wish I had a picture of Tobias to post here today.  I think, thru the years,  we have all learned to love Tobias and Bailey's pictures and stories.

Butterfly hugs to Robert and Bailey.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holly.. glad the ankle's fine! Whew!

Eliz.. pictures!

Jlynn.. nice 7+!

8.5 miles of hills in 1:11:37, 8:25 pace progression style: 9:43,  
                  9:06, 8:48( up 200 ft hill), 8:25, 8:20, 8:05, 7:35, 7:42, 7:34 (.5  
                  mi). 70F and muggy.

Lesson for the day: hills seem shorter the faster you run up them.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Tobias!  {{{Stevie Ray}}}

This morning I went to run with the local clubbers.  But everyone else ran faster than my planned recovery pace.

As I debated whether to catch up to the Fast Wimmins (and others), my mantra was "Running slow to get faster", so I hung back and resisted.

I hope it works.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Way to resist Breger!!

Ooh Fashion report from Eliz, very stylin'!

Same run as Steve, just shorter, even had the 200 ft hill too.  I've been trying to slow down on my easy days so today I did a different route, one that includes about a five minute uphill and then a couple others as well.  The bonus is that the hill I ran today is the same hill that I'll have to run up for the marathon in September. 

5.17 mi, 9:05 pace.

Happy Fri eve runs to all!

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)
                        TammyinGP

Steve - somehow I don't think you wore your batman shirt yesterday just to celebrate Act Like A Kid day. I kinda think you act like a kid most days  . . . and that's a good thing!

So sorry to hear of Tobias' passing. {{srlopez}}

Glad your ankle is feeling okay Holly! That could of been a close call.

hey, I'm wearing Pink and Green today too . . . . a lime green . . . ahem . . undergarment . . . and my pink Life Is Good shirt. Along with black capri's and flip flops. I love my casual office

Won't be running today. DH and I are taking advantage of our last night without our son - who's away at camp - and going out on a date to our favorite restaurant where we'll sit out on the deck along the river. 

Have a good day everyone!

Keep cool Erika!

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Robert, so sorry for your loss of Tobias.  I'm sure he's in doggy heaven, wagging his tail and missing you. 

Kevin, I like your comment about Batman and Tag the wonder dog surviving their adolescence!

Erika, you ran in 90° heat?   You're braver (or dumber) than I am!  It was 93° in town and 75° in the mountains after work, and I decided it was too hot to run outside.  Yeah, I'm a heat wimp - but it was sunny, so even 75° felt hot.  So I went to the rec center and ran barefoot intervals on the indoor track.  I did 6 400 meter intervals at 2:00 each, with a 100 meter walk in between, but  then got a queasy stomach and needed a bathroom break.  Turned out to be a good thing I was at the rec center.  So I finished up with an easy mile and headed home.  Total just over 4 miles with warmup and cooldown.  I haven't done intervals in ages, since I usually only run on the track in bad weather, it's too hot to run on the flat trails in town, and doing intervals on mountain roads or trails doesn't work very well.

Bill, your interval session yesterday was really amazing - only 30 sec walk breaks, and your times got faster at the end.  I want to be like you when I grow up!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

SRL, sorry to learn of Tobias' passing.

7.1 for me today, a bit sluggish, but not because of the heat.  Temps were 82 here so it wasn't bad at all.  I am having a good week and I think it just caught up with me.  Flex and core work at the Y after my workout.

One of my clients is a large Pittsburgh-based bank, and this year they bought a large Cleveland-based bank.  Those of you from either city know which banks I am talking about.  Next week I will be in Pittsburgh for two days, and then in August I have trips scheduled for Cleveland, Cincinnati and Indianapolis, to help both banks with their integration.  Looking forward to running in other cities.   Spareribs

Thank you Carolyn.  From what I see you did a wonderful job with yours today too.  My 30 secs walk recoveries sound pretty similar to your 100m walk recoveries.  Do some again next Thursday - maybe 8 next time.  They get easier as your body gets used to speedwork.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong