Masters Running

Friday, 4.8.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Simple doubling of numbers in today's date.

So, we've got Pickle's 60-hr. work weeks (and TW unemployed retired; photos of the cutest little Leslie; Enke hanging out with (and kicking) MBE; Tammy roasting with B&B a'swimmin;, worn out Tet; Tselbes walking, eating and walking; RCG getting us upset (again) about healthcare; Holly guest-speaking in high-heel boots; Deeze coming back as strong as ever; Mike in the rain, and Mariposai enjoying some beautiful flowers. Oh - and there are some excellent runs and other workouts in there too!

We just learned a couple of days ago about a proposed amendment to the state regs. that govern conservation commissions that scares a lot of us because it is being rushed, has not been adequately-vetted, and especially because of unintended consequences. I have a previously-scheduled meeting Monday morning with con. coms. from about 10 near-by towns and the ED of the NH assoc. of conservation commissions will also be there. You'll never guess what has moved to the top of our agenda for that meeting...

6.2 RW miles this morning in new shoes - NB Fresh Foam Zante - and they felt good. It was about 45F, and the air was damp but fresh from yesterday's and last night's rain, and fog-laden along the coast.

Good luck, fleet feet, and big grins to this weekend's racers:

04/08 runnerclay--Miles for Maria 6/12/24

04/09 Stumpy77 - Ukrop's 10K, Richmond, VA

04/09 Ileneforward - Seal Beach 10k, Seal Beach CA

04/09 tammyingp - Pear Blossom 10 mile, Medford, OR

04/10 Dennis Ley - ORRRC ½ Marathon

04/10 HollyS - ORRRC Marathon, Xenia, OH

04/10 milktruck - Great Bay Half, Newmarket NH

OK, gotta go. Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Good luck, fleet feet, and big grins to this weekend's racers:

04/08 runnerclay--Miles for Maria 6/12/24

04/09 Stumpy77 - Ukrop's 10K, Richmond, VA

04/09 Ileneforward - Seal Beach 10k, Seal Beach CA

04/09 tammyingp - Pear Blossom 10 mile, Medford, OR

04/10 Dennis Ley - ORRRC ½ Marathon

04/10 HollyS - ORRRC Marathon, Xenia, OH

04/10 milktruck - Great Bay Half, Newmarket NH

04/10 aamos- Runners Marathon of Reston

04/10 RCG and family- Runners Marathon Relay of Reston

OK, gotta go. Have a greta Friday!

Jay

FTFY

50F

5 miles

Just the rocket scientist and me this morning. Eastern State and Skipwith then into the rec. center for stretch and planks.

Might be a little chilly in Reston on Sunday morning... Brrrr!  And Stumpy is going to have a bit of a blustery 10K in our commonwealth's capitol.

No more stirring the pot for me, Jay. I will behave.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

No more stirring the pot for me, Jay. I will behave.

But what fun is that??? 

Nice to see Deez back at it again.

Jay - Your conservation stuff makes my head swim.

Beautiful flower photo yesterday, Posie.

A quality hour of core/ST this a.m.

I've been given the opportunity to work with two other attorneys in our office who are representing clients who are working to get legal medical marijuana grows going.  Actually, it kind of defaulted to me when one attorney needed help getting corporations/LLC's started for these people, and I'm the only one who really knows what to do, and then it kind of snowballed from there.

It's going to be very interesting and very time consuming.  I'll be doing that in conjunction with my other work (estate planning, probates, trust administration) with my direct boss, so it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.  The new legal secretary for one of the attorneys didn't work out and was let go a couple of days ago.  It sucks because we had a dog of a time finding her.  A legal secretary with litigation experience is needed, and there aren't any around here looking for work.  While I won't be dealing with the litigation stuff (thank you, Lord!), I will be working as paralegal and secretary for the medical marijuana side and working to get some kind of system in place.  As one of the attorneys said, this is sort of like it's one specialized practice that we're having to build and figure out from the ground up.  And as the county and state laws change, we'll have to constantly be adjusting.

I'm excited about it.  I like to learn new things  And if all goes well, maybe - just maybe - I'll get a raise . . . but doubtful.  They usually give raises at the end of the year.  But who knows - we'll see.

Enjoy your Friday, friends ~~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Leslie - that's nice.  However, you might as well do the litigation one too.

Then your attorneys can have a (1) trusts-and-estates paralegal,

(2) a marijuana paralegal and (3) a litigation paralegal for the price of one.

Tell 'em y ou'd love to do it, especially if they can share

some of all the extra income they are expecting.

Unfortunately, it’s not usually in the way I would like but the slower I get the more my running seems to be drifting into dreaming more-and-more of running like my heros herein such as on this morning’s five mile ‘muter when I picked up an early season sunflower someone had dropped on the bridge that was seemingly still as fresh and yellow as when I first saw it there yesterday.  After carefully tucking it into my pocket and filling a little water in a bowl upon arrival, I found out no wonder why it hadn’t wilted. Though I don't know why, I hope it is okay to say, for some reason, it being plastic reminded me of MikeE.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

I thought I had this stress thing figured out, but yesterday I got pushed over the edge by a guy who lives to argue.  I packed my computer and went home.  Probably more ticked off than I have ever been (at least that I can remember.) That gave me time to get in a run of 4 miles yesterday. I stayed home today and ran another 4 this morning.

It is embarrassing to be older than 4 and get that upset. 

I asked the guy to fix a program and he argued that it wasn't wrong. It was so wrong that it was like he was trying to argue that 2+2=100. I would think I had him straightened out and an hour later he'd come by my desk and start it over. This went on for hours.  In retrospect, I should have taken a few deep breathes and told him to prove it worked by bringing me proper results from running the program, but I kept trying to prove I was right.

I don't know when I can show my face in the office again. I may have to get a new job to save face. Luckily I'll be working up on Long Island next week and give people time to forget what happened.

Maybe I'll never go back.  Just go in over a weekend and clear off my desk. Go back to being a 100% work from home person. Obviously I shouldn't be around people too much.

Dave, there is nothing wrong with standing up for what was right, and getting in a huff when you hit a brick wall.

MBE has a very similar job and complains almost daily that people are not on the same page, not doing things they way they were outlined, not seeing the problems, and all this software has to integrate somehow.

This morning I ran from MBE's house to Green Lake and back, 5 miles.  Gorgeous morning!  Sunny, 51F and Miss Spring in all her glory.  However, the last 1/4 mile I had to walk as I have injured my big toe - from my shoe rubbing on the toenail and the underside and cuticle is bruised and it will eventually fall off I'm sure.  Why do we have toenails again?  I need to find roomier shoes for this weekend's runs.

Again I was slug-slow.  Cardio is great, breathing is easy, hills are even no problem, legs just don't want to move.  Pace was around 11:30 again.  Ugh.  I figure in about a month after consistently doing about 25 miles per week, my easy pace will suddenly shift to 10:40.  I hope.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59 it happens. I have done things like that. You are right about the solution in your case, make him come back with results that are right.

Holly S. clever having the slippers on backup.

deez4boyz what three relays now and I had no idea you do not eat meat!

enkephalin sometimes you are better off if your spouse does not cook! Mine put me in the hospital with food poisoning for three days. Since that day way back in 1980 I have not suggested she do any of the cooking.

coastwalker I think you secretly enjoy all of these meetings and political machinations.

fatozzig better to be busy than not! Even better to be too busy than not.

Mike E I am not sure about rain all through the country, but it was raining in CT yesterday. What else is new. It has been raining sort of nonstop it seems for over a week now here in the north-east.

My right hand has been bothering me the past few days. It got bad enough I went to see my orthopedist this morning. Some tendon in it is inflamed. I am in a wrist brace for 2 to 3 weeks and on an anti-inflammatory. At least it is not running related. On my way home I picked up some salmon to brine tonight and smoke tomorrow. For tonight we are having some flank steak that I am marinating and will turn into tacos. My DW 36 year cooking ban marches on. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

{{{Dave}}} I, too, have a hard time with pig-headed, argumentative people.  I can never come up with a good, snappy come-back, I can feel my face heating up, and I'm sure it shows my total irritation and that what I would really like to do in that moment in time is punch the person in the face.  We have a client I had to talk to just a few minutes ago who has rubbed me the wrong way since the beginning and it takes every fiber of my being to be pleasant to him.

Some people are just whacked and there's not a lot that can be done about it.  I take a lot of deep breaths.  A LOT.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave - good for you.

As Clint Eastwood said when asked to explain about his otherwise highly-ridiculed talking to an empty chair as if someone were in it at the Republican National Convention in 2012, ~“there is something about the aging process that you don’t give a carp what anyone else thinks.”  Glad you’re finding out it’s true too.   However, you can always go back and tell the illiterate that you’re sorry you got perturbed and go to lunch to see if he has any redeeming values, after all, but I doubt it.

ps - you got a real smart DW twocat

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - good for you.

+1

Jay - I love new shoes!

Leslie - sounds exciting!  And terrifying.  Are you hourly, at least?

Tet - had to be a good replica, though, to fool you.  Sounds like a keeper.

5 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet - had to be a good replica

actually, it turned out to be real nice silk one so, since I like to pick up flowers

and attach leaves here-and-there to my shirt, hat, etc. in my races,

I'll probably bring it to Portland, . . . along with other oddities.

No new shoes, though, that's for sure.

Get ready for a real weird guy.

sorry.

Mike E

MM #5615

I have to admit...nobody has ever told me that I remind them of a plastic sunflower.

Dave59

actually, it turned out to be real nice silk one so, since I like to pick up flowers

and attach leaves here-and-there to my shirt, hat, etc. in my races,

I'll probably bring it to Portland, . . . along with other oddities.

No new shoes, though, that's for sure.

Get ready for a real weird guy.

sorry.

I wonder if it would be worth it to make a trip to Portland.

Mike E

MM #5615

I wonder if it would be worth it to make a trip to Portland.

I'm counting on it.

TammyinGP

Leslie - sounds interesting yet time consuming perhaps stressful trying to find even more time in your week to do more things. You definitely deserve a raise. I kind of capped out in our region for paralegals, but when I took over CLE coordination for our in-house CLE's last fall, because another person in our office who did that function retired (and we didn't hire anyone to replace her array of jobs - they just got divvied up to different people), the boss did dig deep and give me a decent raise. of course, since they weren't replacing her, he probably didn't have to dig too deep as he now had some more payroll money to distribute. We are a non-profit, so stuff like that needs to get spread around somewhere.

I picked up my packet for Pear Blossom today, but honestly, I don't know how I'll run it. My arms have swollen, my skin is tight, blistering, oozing, I have so much edema everywhere it's ridiculous. I finally broke down and went to Urgent Care and got a RX for prednisone. It takes ALOT for me to take presciptions. I'll go the homeopathic way 99.9% of the time, but the level of discomfort and sometimes pain going on 5 days now is taking its toll on me. I just don't know how I can run, get hot sweaty and have my arms probably puff up even more. I look ridiculous as it is.  I haven't missed  a Pear Blossom in 10 yrs. I wanna go cry now.

Tammy