Masters Running

40s, 50s, 60s + On the Run - w/e 12/19 (Read 683 times)

“The Important thing is this: to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are; For what we could become”

- Charles DuBois

Joe - Nice 5k in some spectacular conditions! (Did I spell "spectacular right??   I'm too lazy to check.)  And yeah, we don't stand on - well, whatever it is people "stand on."  Come back anytime.

Jim had a nice warm run, too!  Ski goggles for running?  Freaking brrrrr.

Ev - You shoulda hired me as your agent.  I woulda got you a better deal.  And great job in the 15-miler!  Way to go!

I got my 12 in in 2:06, which included having to stop and get off the road for numerous cars, carefully approaching and skirting around a dog, and walking to eat and drink.  So all in all, I think I finished the 12 in a very respectable amount of time.

Afterward I went for what has to have been THE roughest massage I have ever had.  Holy Crappola!   I'm sure tomorrow I'm gonna feel like I got beat up.  She's a real nice lady.  A former client at my old job.  But somehow I don't think I'll be going back to her.  I like deep tissue massages, but dang!  I don't like feeling like I've been abused.  I thought about Cindy as I was whimpering a coupla times.  Bet SHE doesn't work people over like that.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Okay.  Can't figure out what I did.  Just ignore this post. 

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

I thought about Cindy as I was whimpering a coupla times.  Bet SHE doesn't work people over like that.

Not unless they specifically ask!    I don't believe aggressive deep tissue is a requirement of massage!! & yes, you will "feel it" for possibly a few days .....Nice quote BTW!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hi Folks-

Leslie- I thought massages were supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing. Good job on your 12.

Joe- Nice race in nasty conditions. Ice is the worst.

Ev- Good going on your 15miler.Your log shows very good consistency lately.

Jim-Glad to hear that it's going to get warmer for you.

I bailed out of my 5k yesterday.I had people waiting for me to go to the game and since the weather was so bad,decided to leave earlier. About the game,well it was a barn burner.150 times the two teams have played and this was the highest score ever at 45-38. Make that 6 Giant losses out of the last 7. Our defense is offensive. All that and didn't get to sleep until 2am so I'm really beat.

Joe - Love your new avatar.  Very cool looking.  2:00 a.m. bedtime?  Ugh!  By my clock, however, your day should be almost over.

Cindy - I've had many a massage in my lifetime, and nothing ever like this.  She used something called "bonkers" (or something like that) on my back.  Damm, but can she whack you with those things!  Anyone into S&M would love her massages.

Rest/recovery day for me.  I posted my race report in this thread, if ya wanna read it.

Have a great week!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Non-run day here also. Had a great time at supper last nite comparing notes about races, learned lots and feel better about my race.  The subject of the New Orleans R&R half did come up, last wk of feb 2010???? JB and wife are doing and invited us to do also, about the time of our mktg conference but does sound appealing. I kinda need a goal to keep me out there.

Stil bitter cold and windy here, played frisbee with Lou Lou but thats all for physical activity.

Quite a game Joe.

About have our seed order tied up.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Howdy.....>>>>fly by posting>>>>.....waving madly to everyone!!

Cpla Joes...hmmm, sounds like a race team name...

5.2 hilly, icey fartlek miles w/Mairead @ 34* F & clear 

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hi All, feeling much better today after catching up and getting about 11 hrs of sleep last night.Must have needed it.

Out for a very easy 4 last night before that.I had to give my brandy new Nike Free's a try. Felt pretty good, we'll see how they work out.

Howdy, Folks -

Garmin crapped out on me this morning (even though when it said it was fully charged ), so I got in somewhere around 25+ min of cycling.  Could've gone ahead and guessed on the rest of the time, but why push my brain that early in the morning?  Then did approx 30 mins with my new TRX suspension training system.  Wow!  It's amazing how much more you work your core when you have to balance.  I can't explain very well how it works, but if you're interested, you can check it out here.

The moves that really got me (besides all of them!) were for the triceps and any that had my feet in the straps and I was having to support myself with my forearms on the ground.  I can't do anything where I support myself with my hands (like pushups) because of carpal tunnel-like issues, but even with my forearms on the ground, I could tell that my core, despite what I've been doing, is not very strong.  I think this training system is going to surpass my weights and most definitely the Bowflex.  I was able to do 2 sets of 10 the exercises I've been given, with the exception of the triceps moves.  Those babies are weaker than I thought.  Boo hoo!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Hey all! Back from a longish weekend in Death Valley, mostly long because of the drive.

Welcome ShadowJoe! Love the avatar...pop in often...!

Joe - I'm not gonna gloat. Not me. Nope. Nuh-uh..............(*snicker*)

Jim - sounds like you're bouncing back pretty well after your HM, the next one will be much, much easier, you'll be surprised.

Leslie - last easy week? Wha?? You just had a trail ultra, what's next??  And yes, get a new masseuse...I had one who about made me lift off the table, and it still didn't help a little ITB problem...next lady I tried was gentler AND she helped my problem in two sessions (in fact, no ITB issues in over a year).

Cindy - not too many places where you can talk about your hilly, icy, fartlek miles and have people nod in appreciation, can ya now?

Ev - glad you're back in the saddle.

& Howdy to all the rest of youse.

Crossed the 2000 mi mark for the year while out on a long, lonely 20+ miler in Death Valley, found some no-name dirt road out on the west side of the Badwater Basin...cool conditions with snow-capped peaks all around. Nice way to hit that mark. 20 -milers are getting to be reasonable (despite the debate among RA peeps regarding 3 hr or more long runs), but boy that 6 hr drive each way sure beat me up!

OK, gotta give a final!

Arla

Ex runner

jfa

(*snicker*)

ouch. that really hurts.

Cindy - not too many places where you can talk about your hilly, icy, fartlek miles and have people nod in appreciation, can ya now?

*snork!*

Arla - Everything I'm doing is to get me ready for my 50-miler in April.  No rest for the wicked.  My next "race" is Feb 20 at Hagg Lake in OR.  That will be considered a training run.  I think I have two cutback weeks between now and April 10, with a little bit of taper right before Hagg Lake, and the requisite taper before AR50.

I have yet to inform The Hub that my Sundays (the only day we have off together) are going to filled with running.  I'll have to break it to him gently.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Arla:  Appreciation's a good thing     Badwater eh!?  hmmm, methinks you need a bit more training for that one?   & CONGRATS on the 2000 miles!!  WOO-HOO!  that is Huge!  

Leslie, Leslie, Leslie....how dare you call ME crazy!!   you should come up with something to keep him occupied on Sundays while you run...bicycle, bowling league, 4-wheeler, maybe a new TV & Lazy Boy??    DH & I are "equally busy" ~ makes for a balanced household! & so, when I invited him along running (2yrs ago!?) well, uhmm   .... bonkers huh? I still say I'd rather use hot stones & arnica.

Jim:  We're supposed to have some great running weather this week, woo-hoo!  So, no need for ski goggles (I've done that btw!)    unfortunately, doesn't look like the mtns will be getting much in the way of snow before Christmas - Darn! ...but the temps are perfect to play in what we do have  & I'll most likely be mostly watching through the window from the treadmill .. at least there's one right outside my treatment room!   

NJ-Joe, it's almost over! then everybody will switch players & try again. At least our beating this wknd wasn't as bad as it coulda been TG!   fingers crossed once again that we can go watch the GD on the field on Sunday!   

Shadow Joe - Welcome!  & nice RR! very respectable - even off the ice    we have a Winter Distance Series here in a nearby park...I have yet to be able to participate due to Winter Work Schedule

Gettin some nice mileage there Ev!  You got something baking??

Howdy Carol!  How's it going?

Anybody heard from Jewels lately?

Gotta run....both ways!

flatland mountaineer

"Spose to get above freezing later today so going to postpone my run to the "balmy time of day". All my post race runs have been really sucky, Jonathan basically told me "patience graasshoppa" as it could take 2 weeks to get back to normal. I still have some residual soreness. We visited about how every race has asterisks and I don't mean excuses. If you train and race as hard as you can basically you have a pr for the day and the race as no 2 races/days/condtions can be exactly the same. Soooo guess I will take it pretty easy on the run side this week and get some office work done,but getting out there in the next few days to take advantage of the warmer temps.

Arla nice 20 miler and woohoo on getting to 2k!! It would be great if the next one got easier. I know this one taught me alot.

Cindy be careful on the ice but I think Lynda said u run with the yaks.

Leslie thats quite the device. Its winter and time for me to get back to my "seasonal"  x-training. I dn't know how ya do it, one teeny little half and I'm whacked for 2 wks.

Ev on the big 12 FB scene it was nice to see Suh get some recognition even tho a Heisman longshot. NU almost lost him during the Calahan era. 

Better get back to my Excel spreadsheets yuk.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Leslie . . . I don't know how ya do it, one teeny little half and I'm whacked for 2 wks.

In the style of Helen Reddy: "I am woman, hear me roar!"  Although this roaring woman cringes at the thought of temps with the word "freezing" in them.

Arla - Congrats on the 2000!! You and NJ Joe - you two rock the pavement.

Cindy - The words "lazy" and "TV" are already prominent re The Hub.  I don't like to encourage him.   And I, too, was wondering about Jewels this a.m.

Hi Carol and Joe #2!

10 miles with strides every 10 minutes this a.m.  Not sure where my brain was half the time.  I got to the 4-mile mark and was seriously confused as to why I wasn't further down my route.  I mean, it's not far before I usually turn around.  What gives?  . . . I was thinking "6 miles out then back" as opposed to "5 miles out then back."  Glad I figured that one out BEFORE the 6-mile mark.

Also couldn't figure out why my legs were so unsproinky . . . until near the end when I remembered that yesterday's strength/core training was the first I've done in almost 2 weeks due to taper/recovery.  My butt is seriously sore.

On the bright side - between the time I stepped out of the shower to when I laid my things on my desk at work, it was 45minutes.  Now THAT, my fine friends, is an amazing PR!!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance