Masters Running

FRIDAY! Sept. 18 Runs, Rest and Recovery (Read 369 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Morning Gang!!

Twocat - YEA for two runs in a row!!!

Eliz - I hope your mom is recovering quickly. 

I can't hardly believe that Holly took a day off yesterday!   I thought I was hallucinating.  Wink

My mom loved her gift!    It made her cry a little, which made me feel bad - yet goood if you know what I mean.  Nothing like a little homemade present. 

I am taking the day off.   I do have a bladder infection and the doc prescribed a stong antibiotic that I have to take 4 times a day.  ugh!   I hate taking one or two pills a day.     I'm not supposed to operate heavy equipment, so I'm debating if I should drive my truck to work or just stay home.  Wink

TGIF!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice gift Mary!

4.4 miles of hills in 41:15 (9:22 pace, AHR 146) )....2.2 with the dogs

Have great runs!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Workplace violence is in the news today.

Imagine that.

Glad I'm not at the watercooler factory any more.

Anyways (the transition phrase of 2009)

Lift/step/spin.  Lather/rinse/repeat.

Sunday will be Macoun apple picking day.  Then we will get some tasty apple fritters.

morning folks .... quick post before i run out to the hairdresser

i have NO IDEA where this run came from except my track work must be really paying off --- need to remember  how to dress for this weather tho -- 47 when i left my house today

9:09

8:53

8:29

8:25   --- wooohooo think this was a mini progression run eh??

then cooldown for .3 miles

time to get rid of the greys!!   have a wonderful friday friends!!

denise

Hope your infection goes away quickly Mary.

You must have a higher max. HR than mine Steve to have that average HR on that easy (for you) run.

Send some apple fritters my way, PBJ.

Nice run Denise!  Down with grey.

6 miles for me this morning with some striders near the end.  I couldn't remember how many striders Tinman wanted me to do.  I sorta remembered either 6 or 10, so decided to do 8, lost count and really did 9.  (He actually wanted 10.)

I felt fairly sproinky today but held off a little bit given tomorrow's LR.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Deez, Very nice workout !

Mmmmm  Macoun apples.....Yum. I was just thinking about heading up north to Wisconsin Hidden Valley area and doing the same in a week or so.

I've gone thru 2 bags of Honey Crisp already.

I slept in this morning. We had the fan running last night, temp took a nice big drop....it felt so good to just stay in bed curled up.  Plus I need to get some afternoon runs in to stay accustomed to warmer temps just in case marathon day decides to warm up.

Goo day all !

Mmmmm- apple fritters and apple pie and homemade applesauce. All this talk about picking apples has made me hungry.

((( Mary ))) good luck with that infection. Drink lots of cranberry juice and water and take it easy today. Don't be operating any backhoes or tractors this morning either!

Twocat!! You're back! It was nice to see your calendar had running days on it - hopefully a nice gradual increase. Great news.

Wow - Denise. Look at those times. You rock! That track training is really showing up in your speed. Have you kept track of how much better you're running a mile? Impressive. Get rid of those grays and you'll shave another couple of minutes off!

5 easy miles at a 10:02 pace for me today trying to prepare for a 5K tomorrow morning. Love this race - it goes over a bridge on the Fox River and meanders through a college campus, and ends at a park on the river. The t-shirts are usually pretty cool too.

The cross country meet I worked at yesterday was awesome. It was a little warm for running - around 76° when the meet started and a lot of the kids were getting sick after they crossed the finish line. The top varsity boy finished in 16:30 which, if I remember correctly is WAY slower than Teresa's son. The neat thing about this meet was the huge number of kids participating - some in not the greatest running shape but just out there to be part of the experience. It was a joy to watch.

Have a great day everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

Eliz wrote:

Deez - they play a special bell-sound on the P.A. in the hospital where mom is whenever a new baby is delivered.  She thought it was really cool and when she told me about it, I thought of you.

That is so kewl!  I’m glad your mom’s spirits are up.

Twocat – YAY!!

Mary – hard to believe your mom is 93 when you are so young yourself.    Hope your infection clears up quickly.

PBJ – I love your avatar...

Deez – awesome run!

3 easy-paced miles for me today on the TM @ 10:00, with 5 x 60-second striders @ 7:30.

Weather is looking good for tomorrow’s Air Force HM – clear skies and 57-67° - a little too warm, actually, but oh so much better than it could be.  Amie (runningsmarter) has been sick all week, bless her heart.  She will still run tomorrow, but said she may have to adjust her pace goals.  She may end up running Columbus with us after all.  Wayyyy up front, of course....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I am so bummed.  I did three runs.  All went well.  (If they had not I would not have posted anything in my log or the daily.)  This morning I went off for number four.  Not good . . . my left leg was dragging . . . if Sunday does not go off without a hitch I am going to knock off trying any more runs until after I see the doc a week from next Tuesday.  Seven plus months unbelievable.  I would not normally post something like this but all the happy face posts at my starting up again . . . I just do not want to falsely encourage more.  I am really thankful for them and for having such a wonderful cheering section here at RA.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dg.

Mary, happy belated bd to your mom.  So nice she loved her gift!   Yes, take care of yourself.  eat yogurt. 

Denise, Big grin       

yum.   apples, & sleeping in both sound good.   sleeping in is so hard to do!  .   ... as I sit here trying to stay awake! 

Holly, thanks for the update  on Amie.  I was wondering about her this morning.

(((((Twocat!!!)))))))    thanks for letting us know.  oh my.   ok stoopid question, but how is it dragging? 

don't think I posted yesterday... 35 min. ellipticalling, 2 laps on the scary indoor track to try out a new pair of shoes (I am in a shoe crisis of sorts.  1 month to go (who said that???) and I don't have shoes to wear), then back lifts, calf lifts, upper & lower body weight machines, stab. ball reverse crunches, side planks & russian twists.

Today I got to the river and realized I'd forgotten my Polar. (back to the sleeping thing).   ran anyway, :-).   at least I know the mileage, 6.18.  plan called for a mile w/u & c/d, with 5 tempo paced (1/2 MP) in the middle.  I looked at it, thought, ok, 6... and went & did that.  (yawn)    Home in the shower I suddenly thought, was that right?   sigh.  my pace guess, was the first was 10:34 (might as well guess accurately), 4 at aout 9:35, maybe 9:36,  -) and the last at 10.  

Afternoon, gang!!

((((((Twocat))))) - sorry for the setback - hang in there!

Mary - I hope you opted for the stay at home choice - also hope the antibiotics do the trick quickly.

PBJ - do you have a recipe for those apple fritters???  The Macoun apples are really good this year!!

Not having any luck posting Jesse pictures - I'm following Holly's directions - but I think I figured out the problem.  I don't have time to try again now, but I'll take another shot at it when we get back from Vermont.

Lovely running conditions here this morning - 45 degrees and some low clouds and no humidity.  17.25 miles on the Airline Trail @ 10:12 and 156 AHR. 

Everybody have a terrific weekend!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

{{{Twocat}}} Doggone it.

Mary - How could your mom not love a gift made specially for her by her children.

Erika - Good luck tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holly - Have fun at the HM!  Maybe you'll get lucky and cold front (okay, maybe just a cooler front) will pass thru (fingers crossed).

Rest day for me, with more shin icing on the schedule for tonight, then tomorrow's 10 trail miles, 5 EZ PZ miles on Sunday, then it's all downhill to the Big Sur Trail Marathon next weekend.

Have a great weekend ~ 

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Sleeping in does sound good. I plan on doing that on Sunday. Thanks, Leslie! I'll be thinking of you when I'm out there ("Yeah sure, she says this is fun, ok......")

Twocat, that really sucks!! Maybe back-to-back runs were a little much? You are on track for the weird injury of the year award, ya know? So sorry...

Holly sounds like Sarah Palin sometimes. Sorry, just had to say that (... bless her heart)

Deb, I was in a shoe crisis last year before NYC... The shoes I'd wanted to wear didn't fare well on the rocky Equinox trails so I pulled out some trainers that were a little high in mileage. Should've gotten new shoes... I'm still wondering if my sore legs the last 8 miles of NYC were from those old shoes.

Byll, I think my HR is even higher than Steve's, but he ran hilly miles at an easy pace... so maybe about the same. But I can't believe how loooow yours is! I think mine is higher than your easy run HR just when I walk down the road.

Woke up this morning to rain... um, hold on. It's not supposed to do that. It stopped already, but could sprinkle off and on all day. Tomorrow is "cloudy with a chance of rain, high temp of 50" so it'll be pretty chilly out there, especially at the top of the hill. Readjusting wardrobe options to go back to capris and long-sleeved top.

Planning on a trip to the gym today at lunch for just a couple of miles. I could go run outside but the other purpose of the trip is to pick up fresh bagels for tomorrow morning (bagel shop right next to gym, how's that for convenient??).

dg.

me again.    I'm not sure what to do the next few weekends.   Here is the LR plan, starting with last week.

week 19   18 miles base pace
                              week 20  1 mile w/u 1/2 m, 1 mile c/d

week 21   20 miles base pace
                              week 22   2 miles w/u, 10 miles MP, 2 miles c/d
                              week 23   12 miles base pace
                              week 24    26.2

So this weekend is supposed to be a 1/2 marathon, or a time trial.  I know in my case the time trial aspect doesn't really matter, but I'd really really like more racing experience.  even if just for drinking on the run.  There are no 1/2's around here that I can run this weekend... just one that is reputed to be a killer. not what I need.  There are a couple of 10k's, not sure how much good that would do, and not in areas where i think it would be easy to stretch out the run to 15 miles.      There is a great 1/2 next weekend.      but that's the scheduled 20 miler.   I think that's the most important part, & I get the impression that the timing for that is important.   I'm  sort of functioning close to the edge here. (not a lot of fluff as far as extra conditioning or anything)   want to make the right call.  Is it worth thinking about switching around the 20 miler to a different weekend? 

I know that was long... I'm sorry.   thanks for any ideas you have... and don't feel you have to mess with it..   

dg.

Deb, I was in a shoe crisis last year before NYC... The shoes I'd wanted to wear didn't fare well on the rocky Equinox trails so I pulled out some trainers that were a little high in mileage. Should've gotten new shoes... I'm still wondering if my sore legs the last 8 miles of NYC were from those old shoes.

Woke up this morning to rain... um, hold on. It's not supposed to do that. It stopped already, but could sprinkle off and on all day. Tomorrow is "cloudy with a chance of rain, high temp of 50" so it'll be pretty chilly out there, especially at the top of the hill. Readjusting wardrobe options to go back to capris and long-sleeved top.

Planning on a trip to the gym today at lunch for just a couple of miles. I could go run outside but the other purpose of the trip is to pick up fresh bagels for tomorrow morning (bagel shop right next to gym, how's that for convenient??).

Erika!!!    probably too late to get new ones?  (tapping fingers on keyboard).  how are your shins? knee? foot?

very handy bagels.    

sounds very challenging to know how to dress.  i am a spoiled wimp,   I usually am always w/in 2 miles of my car.

my shoe thing is because after I finally ordered new Nike Frees online, I found out the newer ones I can't wear.  So have to come up with something different.  Even drove to Sylvania, then down to Perrysburg & bought a pair of Newtons.   very cool, but 1/2 size too big, I think.