Masters Running

4.22.13 - Monday's Daily (Read 56 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone,

Congrats to Mike, Jlynne, Opie, and Denise's DH on what I hope are very positive career moves! Jlynne, I'm also trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Let me know if you find the answer.

Some greta runs, healing runs, and nice days off yesterday.

I'm so happy to have Mustang Sally, and now LaTortuga back - what a treat! I hope your foot is completely healed, LaT.

I'm also very glad to see TomWhite posting again, and I'm glad the change in pedal type on the bike made a positive difference.

Superb racing Opie!

I'm glad to see Stumpy continuing to train smartly for his first marathon. Evanflein is right - it as exciting watching Stumpy progress as it was to watch OM just a short time ago.

Great photos of Steve and Avenger Doggie, the kids Marj & Henry get to chase after, and the resignation cake.

My workout yesterday was an MS "paperbag" special to see how my back was doing. I've recovered more quickly than I expected, and I attribute that to lots of core work. But I still don't know what caused my back to go spazmodic in the first place. Today I went 5.5 bagless racewalking miles at 4:10 with 31F temps, and a kiss of a breeze from the NW. I saw a shooting star as soon as I turned out of my driveway, which was a nice treat. I kept my turnover rate up and had decent splits, which was also nice. It was a nice test after a week off which felt, as you likely know, like an eternity.

Have a mindful Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. Yes, it's hard to believe that a week has passed since Boston. I've been watching the crowd reaction at some of the city's sporting events (Bruins, Red Sox).  The emotion is so powerful. Hopefully all our RA friends who ran, spectated, volunteered or are residents are finally experiencing some normalcy - if that's possible.

I was happy to read that your back is better Jay. It's funny how one wrong little move can cause such pain.

Mike - your new boss sounds like a keeper. Good luck.

Raining yet again this morning and trying to give that testy hamstring one more day so off to the Y at 4:30 for 35 minutes on the ARC trainer and 30 minutes of weights and core. Found a new pushup to do: I take a BOSU ball and turn it upside down so the rounded part is on the floor. Then grip both sides and do pushups trying to balance the ball and get up and down at the same time. I can do 30 at a time now.  I also have some great news - DS#2 is engaged!! They haven't set a date yet. He'll be 25 which by today's standards is still young but he seems so happy it's hard to not be happy for him.

Enjoy your Monday everyone.

Tramps

I second all of Jay’s observations about career moves, old friends, great photos, etc.

Jlynne—congrats on DS’s engagement.

Wonderful cool morning here for an EZ 7-miler.  I’m enjoying the Spring weather before the May flies come swarming out.  Just as I was finishing up, the County started doing their semi-annual grading of our gravel road.  That means I’ll be running on very loose gravel for the next few days until it packs down again.  Ouch.

Have a good week.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Mornin' everyone,

Congrats to Mike, Jlynne, Opie, and Denise's DH on what I hope are very positive career moves! Jlynne, I'm also trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Let me know if you find the answer.

+1

I rode in the inaugural Grumpy Grind yesterday. A 75 mile beat down of gravel roads and hills. These races tend to be self supported and unmarked where you follow cue cards with distances between turns. Around mile 23 we missed a turn and added 2 and some odd miles to our odometers so we had to adjust everything on the cue cards.

Ended up with over 78 miles ridden in just under 5.5 hours. The last 35 miles was all head wind. Brutal race...I haven't seen the results yet but I think I finished in the top ten.

Mariposai

Cool, I go away for a few days and I come back to the wonderful news that Lat Tortuga and Mustang Sally are back. Ohhh and Hammish and Little Will are back too Smile.

This past weekend found me in Olympia, WA and on Saturday I able to visit Enkephalin and her kids in their cabin. We sure had a great time. The more I get to know this lovely lady, the deeper and deeper my admiration for her grows. Thanks for the great time, Enkephalin.

Yesterday morning, Enkephalin took me to run on her trail. Wow, did we have fun or what?  May the pictures tell the tale of it's beauty.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

What a beautiful area to run in Enke and Mariposai.  Thanks for the pics.

I missed some of the news, but Mike E., I hope this new position works well for you.  And Opie, well done on your race.  Did Roach get an AG win?  Good going.

Tramps, just so you know, everyone who saw my son's video said exactly the same thing. He speaks very well but no one knows what he is talking about, my wife, sister and I included.

I'm still having a slow and easy recovery.  No stiffness or soreness anywhere of course, but just a feeling of overall tiredness.  Yesterday I walked one and ran two. Today I ran 2.6 and walked a half mile.  I feel pretty good otherwise.

I'm about to write my column for the DMN right now and I have a couple of rants, which won't make it a popular post, but so be it.

Edited to add the post.

Here it is:  http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2013/04/who-won-the-2013-boston-marathon-they-did.html/

Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

The trail's not the only thing that looks beautiful. Wink  That looks like an amazing place to run.  I bet you guys had a ball.

SRD today, but a slightly bothersome sore spot in the general region of the 5th metatarsal (little toe bone)  It's been something that pops up from time to time, but always goes away with a little icing and/or rest.  we'll see how it feel in the mornign before i head out for the day.

Also, a request for advise:  I've got my training set up to do 2-20's before my marathon--one in a couple of weeks and one three weeks prior to the race with a 3 week taper.  My question is, "Is this the advisable/normal way to do it, or should I do a more gradual buildup towards the last full 20?"  Thanks for any input.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

What a cool looking trail.  Makes me understand better why people like trails so much.  Nothing like that around here.

50° and sunny when I went out for my run.  5.37 miles.

aka FlyingFinn

Those are gorgeous pictures! How lucky for you to share a run there.

Mondays are not bagless days, they are triple bag days - one for running and two for fencing. Running is light packing…shoes, shirt, shorts, socks. Fencing bag 1…jacket, knickers, socks, plastron,  lamé, mask, glove, fencing shoes. Fencing bag 2…foils, body cords. RAW on the towpath this afternoon with MrFinn then fencing tonight. I have to wonder if the wee bit of extra room in the knickers is from the slight uptick in my mileage or from dragging the bags around.

Deez, congrats to DH.

Jlynne, congrats to DS. Here’s a recent shot of Jocelyn doing her pushups. Smile

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

Marathon Maniac #957

OMG - how cute is that?  Jocelyn is adorable!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

It's in the 20's and snowing again here...  JTWILI!  Roll eyes

Greta pictures, Mari!   I'm surprised Ribs didn't say anything about the jacket around Enke's waist -- he must have been distracted by the scenery!  Wink

Jeanne, enjoy your summer off with the grandkids!  That sounds like fun!   And congrats to Marj on impending retirement!  Mike, when do you start your new job?  After the KY marathon?

Also, a request for advise:  I've got my training set up to do 2-20's before my marathon--one in a couple of weeks and one three weeks prior to the race with a 3 week taper.  My question is, "Is this the advisable/normal way to do it, or should I do a more gradual buildup towards the last full 20?"  Thanks for any input.

Kevin, I'm no training expert, but I was training for my first marathon just a year ago - my first ever 20 miler was April 1st last year. I'm excited to be following your training this year!   In the 8 weeks before the marathon I did 5 long runs of 20-22 miles and two trail races (half marathon and 25k).  I only did a two week taper. I found I had no problems doing 20 milers on back-to-back weekends, but I was running slowly with lots of walk breaks on steep trails to prepare for a steep hilly marathon.    That being said, I know some people do fewer and shorter long runs in marathon training, and they seem to do fine.   Here's a graph of my log from last year:

I looked at the website for your race and it looks absolutely beautiful!   I hope you'll take a camera along!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

I second all of Jay’s observations about career moves, old friends, great photos, etc.

+1

Mariposaid and Enke - beautiful!

Slo - wow!  Sounds like quite a race - nice job!

4.2 recovery miles for me this morning.

(please forgive the parental pride...)

DD's softball team played their first game yesterday.  Very tense in the last inning as we were 3 runs down, then DD, playing 3rd base, got two quick outs.  Then when we were at bat, DD slid home to earn the final run that won the game.  Coach gave her the game ball.  I sure love watching her play....Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

"Taper, shmaper...." Holly?:  Be careful or you'll end up like somebody I know.

Don't think I could taper much though if I had an Enke trail out the front door.

ps - happy Earth Day 43 (1970-2013).  We had a precursor "Teach-in on the Environment" at the U/Mich in 1969 with Senator Gaylord Nelson (WIS - who started the real one the next year), Arthur Godfrey, etc.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

What a cutie pie!!

And beautiful pics, Mari.  Enke looks so happy!

Rhoon's description of his brother's race gave me a good chuckle.

Tammy - Congrats on the event over the weekend.  What a wonderful way to bring the running community together.

Still no running here.  It's hard to force myself out of bed to go "ride" the bike, so that didn't happen.  I'll do it tonight when I get home.  That and core/strength training.

A milestone this past weekend - Yesterday Shorty celebrated his 2nd sobriety birthday.  Woo hoo!  His friend, Paul, who he spent two months in rehab with, celebrated on Saturday, so yesterday the two of us, Paul, and three other folks went to the open AA meeting at Singing Trees so Paul and Shorty could get their two-year chips.  The five of them always go back to Singing Trees and support one another when they get their chips.  The other three will get theirs in the next month or so, so we'll go back for them, as well.  It's very special that these five all went through ST together and have all maintained their sobriety.  You don't see that happen very often, and it's always such a wonderful feeling to go back and celebrate each person's milestone.  I'm SO very proud of these folks, but especially  my husband.  We've been married over 25 1/2 years, and life has never been so good.  Thank you, God!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

A milestone this past weekend - Yesterday Shorty celebrated his 2nd sobriety birthday.  Woo hoo!  His friend, Paul, who he spent two months in rehab with, celebrated on Saturday, so yesterday the two of us, Paul, and three other folks went to the open AA meeting at Singing Trees so Paul and Shorty could get their two-year chips.  The five of them always go back to Singing Trees and support one another when they get their chips.  The other three will get theirs in the next month or so, so we'll go back for them, as well.  It's very special that these five all went through ST together and have all maintained their sobriety.  You don't see that happen very often, and it's always such a wonderful feeling to go back and celebrate each person's milestone.  I'm SO very proud of these folks, but especially  my husband.  We've been married over 25 1/2 years, and life has never been so good.  Thank you, God!

This is awesome!