Masters Running

Could a person be addicted to sugar? (Read 168 times)

It sounds silly. But sugar is just like caffiene or alcohol to me. I dont drink alcohol or anything with caffiene in it. But I wake up craving sugar or anything sweet. Its like I cant get started in the morning without it. I crave it all day. It started around the holidays when we were baking a lot. But it just kind of stuck with me. Its getting really ridiculous. I eat healthy all the time with the exception of sweets, which I crave all day. Maybe there is a residential program for sugar addicts.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

SteveP

First of all, it's no a character defect or personality flaw. There are physical dependance and mental obsessions. With both, withdrawls can be tough. One them symptoms is anxiety. In the medical community, there is a debate on phyisical addictions to carbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overeaters_Anonymous

https://www.oa.org/

SteveP

Wingz

Professional Noob

I totally think so, because I've experienced cravings too.  I went through a time period where I took in a lot more sugar/candy bars/ etc and then I found it VERY difficult to stop.  I did stop, but I had to go cold turkey.  After about a week or so, the cravings went away.  So I started back.    Thought I could do moderation.  Got hooked again!  Cut myself off again.  Etc.  I've gone through that cycle at least a half dozen times.  I'm currently in a "maybe I can do moderation" phase again... and have been doing okay with it, but not great.

You may need to cut yourself off for a period of time until the cravings stop.

Or you could just eat cookies all day.  Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Yeah I tried the eating cookies all day. Not good. The results are still hanging on to my waistline.

Thanks for the links. I think I need to  go cold turkey too.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

TammyinGP

I do believe sugar can be physically addictive. In a psych class in highschool we could participate in a two week trial of sugar abstinence. And this included EVERYTHING that had refined sugars - so your normal sweets but also tomato sauces, breads, etc. We could still have fruits, but nothing with refined sugars and once I started looking at labels, I was astounded at how many things have sugars in them. We had to keep a daily journal of what we ate and drank and how we were feeling. I recall that by about day 3 or so, I started having physical withdrawal symptoms. My hands were jittery and shaky, very difficult to focus, etc.. This lasted a couple days as I recall and once I got past that, I felt real good again. I remember my mental acuity being real sharp and my ability to focus and think through things (like some of my harder classes) seemed so easy.

It was an interesting experiment to take part in.

Tammy