Masters Running

Monday First Day of Summer Runs and Whatnot (Read 682 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

TomS – nice 5K yesterday in the H&H!

Wannaberunner – yowza!

Roch – looking forward to your report on the duathlon.

Dave59 – I tried that brisket recipe in the slow cooker (half order, though) and it was a hit – definitely a keeper for a recipe – thanks!

No run for me today, giving my knee a break.  It doesn’t hurt at all walking, but then, it didn’t yesterday, either.  Light x-training instead:  Shoulder presses, dumbbell curls, push-ups, front raises, reverse flies, butt-blasters, leg lifts w/ankle weights face-up and face-down, and stability ball core work.

Happy Summer!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi Holly.  Thanks for the idea recently about the 2 for 1 dinners at PF Chang's.  We went Saturday night (with DS and GF) and it was outstanding.  I hope you and your DH get to go!

I'm going to cut back bigtime this week.  Probably will only run 2, 3, maybe 4 days and then only for 3 to 5 miles.  We'll see how I feel at the end of the week ... I might do it next week too.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

...mornin' guys//.........I was gonna cut back too,

but then it dawned on me a 2-minute run wouldn't do that much good Big grin

========

........THE GOOD NEWS.........I have dropped my resting pulse rate to 52

which is what it was in 1972

when I freaked out my Anatomy Class by intentionally making me pulse-rate fall

(Good Times)

so the poolrunning is doing some good.

..........which is what I'll do tonite.

...........................good running to the rest of ya.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Breger - you deserve a break.  Enjoy.  I'll tell DH that you recommended it, and we will likely get there sometime in the next few weeks.  Santa left a gift card in my stocking, so we are sure to use it. 

TomWhite - how did you do that?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...breath control........

..........I had been reading some 1920's articles on it,

and a slow exhale thru the mouth while pulse-counting

just took a little practise.

the 1920s PhysicalFitness Guys were amazing.

http://www.maxalding.co.uk/exercises/exercises.htm

here's an example

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Hallar, how was your skyping date with your son? I had a great time skyping with my papa yesterday. We watched the whole soccer game Paraguay versus Slovakia together via Skype.(well, we both were watching the game on television while chatting on Skype) It was a blast. Paraguay won 2-0 and we are all thrilled about it.

Holly, I am so glad to see you giving your knee a rest. Take care sistahhh...

4 easy miles for me today. I was happy to have reached 40 miles last week considering that I was sick for 2 days.

One more 40 mile week for me before I cut back for a week. Hard/easy/hard/easy does it right.

Breger, happy cutting back week for you too.

Aamos, thinking of you. I think a marathon reunion in the country were you will be serving would be a blast. ...if there is no marathon there we can always organize one.

Happy Monday

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Slo

Heya Masters.

A big congrats to Wannabe !

I apologize, I haven't gotten thru all the threads yet.......Anxious to see how everyone did this weekend.

My hometown 5k was a blast....no PR to report...It was the toughest 5k I've ever done. I should plot the course and check out the elevation profile.......44 runners.......I was the 6th man in the 6 person lead group........ended up finishing 4th overall.......and get this.....4th in my age group too.......LOL....Friggin Fast Old Guys !

My closest sister was 1st female.........gotta love those low key races......!!!!!!

This morning was a muggy 6.41 miles. Tomorrows heat index......95 deg's actual......will feel like 105.....Blah.

Dave59

This is going to be a rough week at work but I am going to get up early and run (mostly to maintain sanity.)  5 miles this morning.

(Holly - I'm glad the brisket turned out good.  Henrun's version looked good.  Maybe I'll try that next time.)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

My hometown 5k was a blast....no PR to report...It was the toughest 5k I've ever done. I should plot the course and check out the elevation profile.......44 runners.......I was the 6th man in the 6 person lead group........ended up finishing 4th overall.......and get this.....4th in my age group too.......LOL....Friggin Fast Old Guys !

Small consolation, but doesn't that mean you get 1st in AG?  Since the faster old guys take 1-3 OA?

Congratulation to little sis, too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Phew....so.  I get on the treadmill "O" Death to do an easy 4 mile recovery run after my 15 miler yesterday...so I'm just jogging along enjoying the itunes and minding my own business when a very attractive lady sporting multiple tatoos (biceps & calves) starts running on the treadmill next to me.  Next thing I know I'm running at a 7:15, pace for the last three miles of a 5 miler. 

This morning my legs felt like mush from the long run yesterday and a pretty face and some nice body art and I was running like I was....well....younger.  I wish I could find out what that was (other than stupid) and bottle it for race days!!

Well as soon as she finished her 1.5 mile walk jog she got off the treadmill and left.   Sheepishly I powered down the whirling treadmil and cooled off.  This is the type of stuff that gets me hurt.   .  Tomorrow I will do an easy recovery run... 

Take care everyone and have a good First day of summer run!  Its hot as Hades here!  112 in the shade.

Karl

Henrun

(Holly - I'm glad the brisket turned out good.  Henrun's version looked good.  Maybe I'll try that next time.)

It's actually Marj's version-she deserves all the credit (as well as the New York Times Cookbook).

Slo

Small consolation, but doesn't that mean you get 1st in AG?  Since the faster old guys take 1-3 OA?

Congratulation to little sis, too.

They gave awards for 1st place OA and then 1st in each age group. So my sister didn't even get an award for being the first female.....she got 1st AG.....Like I said, very small.....loosely organized but that's cool. Gave it a nice home town flavor.

Looks like everyone's week is off to a good start. Breger, I'm thinking of taking it easy like that for the next year or so.

Good job on getting that HR down, TW.

After seeing that 5K time, my new forum name might be "wannabewannabe". Think about it...

I'm surprisingly not sore at all today. I think that shows that it was more the heat than overworking my muscles that slowed me down by the end of yesterday's duathlon. I'm just waiting to see if any more pictures get sent around before posting my RR (first one in quite a while).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I look my best blurry!

Enough already!!!!

5.7 Nice and easy miles for me before the family and visiting extended family got out of bed.  Then to the gym to get my UE bike fix for 4.3 mi.  

DS nose splint came off yesterday.  CROOKED!  Darn it!!!!  Back to the hospital today to see the ENT.  I see another surgery in the future.  He is definitely learning his lesson now.  

Summertime is starting out for us as "the good, the bad and the ugly" summer.  Goodness!

I might try the brisket too!  Sounds like a crowd pleaser!

jtv

Erika and Wannabe - congrats on the PRs over the weekend (and other others racers I may have missed)

Holly - take care of that knee.

Tet - Unfortunately my flight leaves at 8:30am on Sat (might possibly be leaving Fri), so it might be a little tough to squeeze in RNR.  I'd definitely be up for a meet at the Expo and/or Red Door.  Also. I'm staying down in Federal Way this time - any good places to run there?

4 easy walking miles this am.

Enjoy the day everyone.  Off to Seattle tomorrow.