Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 11.13.13 (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Just a few more days, Tramps...

Lamerunner, We don't have a management co. working on the Seacoast Half. It is, as I assume yours is, just our volunteer race committee. I suppose we're lucky not to have a CPA on our committee. But we also have much smaller cash prizes than Manchester, so we leave it up to the winners to do the appropriate tax filings. Separately, how does it feel to be the size of a 14 year-old boy??

Rochrunner, I also get intimidated by dark, potentially unfriendly places, and will usually use a hotel dreadmill instead.

Yikes! We're seeing more and more snow reports mixed in with run reports. I guess it's that time.

Twocat, I agree that it is always good to see what other shoes are out there. As Enke said, they all have their pluses and minuses. With racewalking, there isn't much room for flexibility in our foot strike, but I can appreciate it that runners might want to change things up now and again, just to see if another approach works better that the usual one.

Holly, nice story about DS's 1st GF.

Tselbes, that's a heck of a way to schedule a run just to avoid getting in trouble with DW!  Wink

Wow - Tet sure seems to be the source for info for all things 50K! Great comments and listing.

I was up at 3:50 this morning, fed the cat, and was back in bed at 3:55. I was just too tired after a surprisingly intense day yesterday, and so caught a few extra zzz's before getting up for some stretching and core work.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, Jay.  20 degrees cooler than on Sunday.  So a lot of the winter gear came out at 25° with a breeze.  3.8 miles in a pace brisker than the temps (for me at least) at 9:12.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Jay--Yup.

And just in case you happen to be in Richmond this week:

Which just goes to show, you never know this time of year.  At least the warmest temps have been pushed ahead to Sunday and Monday.  Whew.

Roch--you were in my neck of the woods!  That Booth site is about 25 miles from me.  Plenty of history around here, that's for sure.

Gorgeous sunny 30F morning for an EZ 5-miler.  I noticed a neighbor's kid--waiting for his bus and bundled up for an Arctic expedition--take a picture (video?) of me running today.  I'm guessing it was because I was in my usual shorts and t-shirt.  Keep an eye out for me; I might go viral.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

Tramps--I went to You Tube and searched for "Crazy old man in shorts"...nothing so far...

Jay--I wish I knew what it was like to be the size of a 14 year old boy...

Slo

Yee Haw...Sub 20's and that ain't my 5k. It's the temps!

I've been a total slacker as of late.

Stayed undercover this am...That'll leave me a RAW. Only me at home tonight so this should work.

Spareribs, are you going to be home during the weekend of December 7?  If so, maybe we can meet up and you can take me for a run with your gorgeous running partners running club or perhaps a local race (that I can slog through).  DW and I will be there for the weekend staying with my BIL and his family.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

lamerunner

Good morning.  Running rest day today, but I did swim 1500 yds this morning and may try to get to yoga at lunch. Jay, yes we are all volunteer too, rewarding but hard at times.

Chilly here today but very sunny; there has been some snow up north; Mt Washington summit was repoting 1 degree late yesterday afternoon!

Tramps, step away from the weather forecast...and happy tapering.

Enke, if you want East coast 50k, Pineland is Memorial Day weekend, and  the Vermont 50, which I think CNY may run, is in September.

Happy Wednesday

Tramps

Tramps--I went to You Tube and searched for "Crazy old man in shorts"...nothing so far...

Big grin

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Breger just made my day!  The weekend of December 7th just so happens to be the weekend of the MetroPCS Dallas Marathon and Half, formerly known as the White Rock Marathon which Bill and I participated when he worked in the DFW area. I would be so happy to meet up with you Bill.

Here are your choices:  On Friday the 6th I am volunteering at packet pickup at the Dallas Convention Center in the morning, taking the day off from running. On Saturday the 7th I plan to run just 2 miles or so to loosen the legs, and on Sunday the 8th I am running the Half.  You should know that on Saturday the 7th is the Mayor's 5K downtown, which has turned out to be an increasingly popular race, and you may elect to run that. If you do, I will come down and hang out with you.

If you don't want to race, then you and I can go out to the Lake and I'll show you our trail. I'm just going to jog a couple of miles but you can do as long as you want. I'll have someone show you the way and you'll love the Club and the course.  Let me know what you want to do.

Today I did 5.5 easy with RP at the Park.  I'll get 45 miles in this week.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Still wimping out on the cold mornings.

5.1 miles on the TM

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Here's a shot from a few years ago. Who's that big guy on the left?

King of PhotoShop

And who says I run with gorgeous women?

TammyinGP

Enke, you could also consider the SOB 50K in July in So. Oregon for an ultra. A beautiful course, very well organized, very very fun. But it would be a bit of a drive from Seattle (about 8 hrs). Or perhaps you'd like to come down in June and run the Wild Rogue Relay!

Thanks for pointing out that I ran few miles than you last month, Tet. Wink I hadn't noticed the summary was up.

David had his first basketball game yesterday. They won 41-22 or so. They have such a good team this year, great coaching, and David's squad (A squad) really gels together nicely. They can read each other very well.

Tammy

Thank you Tet for that thorough investigation of Ultras in the PNW.  I sense no pressure what so ever coming from you...

Thanks for the other suggestions, friends.

Maybe I will just go out and run around some forest somewhere for 8 hours.  And if I enjoy it, then enter a real event.

Tramps, I hope your race is on Sat and not Sun.

Don't you have a history of hot race days for this one?

Handsome picture of Ribs and Byll.

I hope to run tonight, it has been very mild, upper 50s yesterday, IRC, if it weren't so dark.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

C-R

Jay sleeping in? Tramps taper weather report. Ribs paparazi pics. IRL masters meet-ups. Tammy's son's team on the way to an undefeated season. Holly's DS with a girlfriend. Slo liking the cold.

Busy place today.

Got a nice 10k at lunch. Now back to work.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/