Masters Running

40s 50s 60s On the Run - w/e 02/24 (Read 16 times)

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." - John Wooden

Welcome to a new week, friends.

Ev - It's been years since I went out and shot guns.  I always loved it.

Jim - Glad you finally got in a winter vacation.  (Since 1992?  Really??)

4 very EZ miles this a.m.  Have concluded that until I am running on Sundays again, I have to at least get in a good walk on the day after a run like last Saturday.  I could tell my legs hadn't been flushed out, and the first two miles this a.m. were heavy.

After this week, it's taper time.  Yea!

MTA - The Hub got up at 2:00 a.m. to begin working on two 6.25-lb pork butts that he smoked all day.  Went on at 5:00 a.m., and we got to chow down on pulled pork sandwiches at 6:00 p.m.  Oh my, he did a good job!!  (Now go get some sleep, honey.)

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ack!  I was just plain ole cranky this morning from lack of sleep from The Hub coughing and hacking half the night, Wilson driving me crazy during the night, and two cat fights within about half an hour of each other around 5:00 a.m.  I was suppose to do speed work this a.m., but it was pouring rain, and later hailed like crazy, so much so that the downtown streets were totally covered and it looked like it had snowed.  I probably should've sucked it up and went for my run since my crankiness could've fueled the speed work. Smile

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hey All. Taking a quick peak at last week's thread sees evryone moving and shaking. Very well then.

Been getting only about 15 miles per week running but 7-8 hours a week of raquetball. My bf Randy and I grew up across the street from each other and are now starting to hit our shots rather than just banging around. Starting some mornings at 5 am to get in a few games before work. Come home later and run and crossfit so I'm feeling fit.

When the weather warms, probably start ramping up some more miles.

Have a good one!

I'd probably hurt something or someone if I tried to play racquetball. Big grin

Went to a concert/additional church service last night and had a great time.  Shorty even went!  Since I didn't know what time we'd be getting home, I told work I wouldn't be in 'til 9:30 this a.m (instead of 8:30).  This gave me a chance to sleep in a little bit, get in my run and core/strength training, and make it to work by 9:00.  The run was 5 miles with Miles 3 and 4 at tempo pace.  This was the first time in a long time the legs felt sproinky.  It was nice.  Followed up the run with about 45 min of core/strength training while watching "Because I Said So."  Gabriel Macht - oh my heart be still!  This guys has the best smile.  And yes, I love the show "Suits."

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

ev - I used to go shooting when I lived in Arizona, could just walk right out the back of my apartment into the woods and find a nice spot for a chair and some targets. Now, I wonder why I even keep my little gun, except that it's pretty.

Leslie - sounds like that storm was worse for you than for us, and it was BAD here! And hey, you've got 12 pounds of pulled pork, wanna share? Shy

Joe - so that crossfit stuff is treating you well? Are you doing that at a gym or on your own? There are a couple of crossfit gyms around here but I'm scared an old lady like me won't fit in with a bunch of young studs.

Went out for 6 two days ago and it was so cold and windy with horizontal rain that it made everything hurt! Turned it around 2 miles in and slogged home. Now everything is still sore, pretty sure I tweaked my hammie trying to push home with cold muscles. Sad

Ex runner

Arla - Here on the coast, we didn't get hit very hard.  I think inland got the bulk of it.  Lots of hail yesterday morning here, but other than that - nada.  I think rain is suppose to come in this afternoon through Saturday, so we'll see. Right now, though, it's sunshine and blue skies outside.  Oh, come up for pulled pork sandwiches!

8 miles this a.m. at a steady average pace of . . . oh , whatever.  It wasn't as fast as I thought.  I still claim the two hills I climb on this route are what kill my average pace.  And unless someone here wants to come and see if that's true, it's a claim that will stand until debunked!

Saturday is my birthday, as well as the birthday of one of my dearest friends.  (Also, my middle name is Renee, her first name is Rene.  We're both blond haired, green-eyed.  We could definitely be sisters.)  Anyhoo, Shorty is gonna go do some freebie yard work for them during the day, and smoke a couple of tri-tips.  Rene and her hub going to do the rest of the dinner, and after my trail run, all I will have to do is show up and eat.  Sounds pretty darn good to me!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

You're making me hungry Leslie. Enjoy your B-day!

Arla- Hope you loosen up.  I have been doing cross-fit like exercises on my own at the gym. I think I would get hurt doing the real stuff. Last night was a good workout. Run one mile on the tm, then without cooling down at all I do a set of pullup/pushup burpees, then abs, then something with the cowbell weights. Rinse and repeat 5 times. Really just keeping the HR up and mixing up the muscle groups. I definitely feel more agile.

Hope Ev and Jim are not getting hammered too bad by that storm in the center of the country.

flatland mountaineer

Only ended up with about 6 inches of snow in the big storm, we wanted more, much more. I figured we needed between 30-32 storms of that magnitude just to get us back to average for the last 14 months. That said it has messed with my run schedule a bit, getting ready then the storm itself with blowing snow and single digit air temps . I've been a little creaky since we got home from Ca. probably  not used to running so much pavement and then climbing around on the tractor getting the snow bucket on but overall pretty good considering. I have managed to sneak a few shorter runs in despite all thats going on.

Leslie I stand corrected Lynda told me it was 94 when she won a trip to Hauaii (sp). Probably best to skip the speedwork workout after your sleepless night, never a good combo for me, seems it payed off with your sproinky run!

Ev ya we can plink around right off our deck as we have a good hill for a backdrop just south of the house. I still shoot a bit sparodically, even though I don't hunt much anymore other than some destructive varmit types.

Joe I think I tried that raquetball thing once, thats the sport where I ran around with an overgrown fly swatter trying to hit a little blue ball while accumulating purple spots all over my body right?? ;-) I saw a deal on the CF from skiing great Evea Twardoken (spelling?) oh man that looks tough!

Arla hope you loosen up, I was suprised how cool it was in Calli but the storm track out there has been active.

More later, including a condensed race report. Lynda is snowed in in central NE at a conference and I am batching it, trying to figure out if it is worth it to go to our annual snowshoe stomp in Colorado tommorow IF she can make home today.....

Hiyas to anyone else out there.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I think I tried that raquetball thing once, thats the sport where I ran around with an overgrown fly swatter trying to hit a little blue ball while accumulating purple spots all over my body right?? ;-)

Big grin

Hope Lynda gets home and you get to go snow shoeing.

Lost at Bunko last night Cry, but still had a good time.

4 EZ mile this a.m.  Had a hard time getting out of bed, which meant I didn't get up early enough to get in my core/strength training.  Big weenie baby.

So I'm trotting my way back home today, running in the bike lane against traffic (not hardly any traffic at that time in the a.m., so no problem).  Two guys are running on the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street.  Guy in front is wearing a red sweatshirt with the hood up.  Guy in the back is wearing . . . oh, whatever.  It doesn't matter to the story.  Anyway, Guy in Back and I waive at each other, and just as they both go outside of my peripheral vision I hear this great cashing sound and turn around 'cause I thought one of them had fallen.  Nope.  Hoody Guy ran straight into a metal sign post!  I turned around and saw him stopped, holding his forehead and nose, Guy in Back trying to see if Hoody Guy was okay, then they proceeded to walk a little bit.  I'm sorry, but I couldn't help giggling.  Dude!  Watch where you're going!!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LESLIE!! Enjoy that tri-tip (drool). Your hub is keeping you well fed! Funny story about the guy running into a sign, I have clanged into a sign a couple of times myself Black eye

Joe - that treadmill + other exercise routine sounds tough! What's a pullup/pushup burpee? What kind of cowbell exercises are you doing? I do old fashioned 4-step burpees (squat down, hop to top of pushup, hop back to squat, stand up, images at http://bwfitness.blogspot.com/2010/07/burpees.html) and those alone have made be more agile. I don't have much patience for cross-training like you and Leslie.

Jim - doesn't look like you're going to get the moisture you need. Sad Local paper says we're shaping up for a drought year, they're not anticipating another "March Miracle" like we had a couple years ago.

Hi to the rest of you out there, hope you're enjoying your weekend.

Local paper (Fresno Bee) always has a drawing of a Bee alongside the weather report, for example if it's going to rain the bee will be carrying an umbrella. Today's forecast is sunny and in the 60s and the bee is bundled up with a scarf and sporting ice skates! Just shows you what wimps we are here in the Big Valley!

Took a super-easy day and a day off and the ol' booty feels better. We'll see how my 6 + 14 weekend goes.

Ex runner

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Happy Birthday Leslie!! Smile

Hope everyone's doing well here. I just read the thread but couldn't retain any of it... blah, brain cells are exhausted as well as my legs. Doing this Lydiard training thing, and I'm into the hill phase now. The saying "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" comes to mind, with emphasis on the first part of the quote, oy.... Did a long run of 16 miles today on legs that were quite tired from yesterday's hill springing drills. So yeah, just like it seemed to be the case with the Hansons method, just surviving the training seems to be the key. Wink

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, all!

flatland mountaineer

Happy Birthday, Leslie!

We made it! This is actually about half normal snow pack, above 10,000 feet. Windy and cold but still fun. Igloos in foreground.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Great picture, Jim.

I suck at burpees.

Hang in there, OM!

I had a great birthday today.  24 mile run out in Trinidad, followed by a great dinner of smoked tri-tip courtesy of The Hub at our friends, Scott and Rene.  Shorty did a bunch of yard work for them while I was running, Rene's mom and Scott's grandma and sister came over, then we all sat around, ate, and chatted, and it was really, REALLY nice.  Couldn't have asked for a better way to spend a birthday.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

OM - hang in there! When's your goal race?

r2 - amazing pics. Agree that snowpack's not too good at 10K feet this time of year, looks more like late April or early May.  Snow travel + igloo-building must be great crosstraining.

Leslie - What a fantastic day for you, and 24 miles to boot! Wow. I suck at burpees, too, which is why I must do them.

Had a pretty comfortable almost-6 yesterday, 14 today coming up in beautiful conditions.

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

DW and I are in Rochester visiting FIL for the weekend.  Very easy drive in on Friday and hope what snow does arrive will be taken care of by the time we get back in the area on monday.

4.2 miles for me yesterday and 8.25 this morning.  Nice area to run through with a bit more in the way of hills than I'm used to.  This is a good thing--I need to get more of those guys in my training.  Today's run was along lake Ontario on a nice paved trail.  Very nice area and enjoyable run.  Hoped for double digits, but had to be back in time for breakfast with BIL and SIL.

Tr-tip sure sounds good. 24 sounds even better.  Nice day. I think we're going out to the best BBQ place in town tonight.  Hope it lives up to its reputation.

some excellent X-T Joe.  I really need to do (more) (some) any of that stuff.  I know it helps.

Jim--neat shot.  Winter campping sounds like fun, at least if you're well prepared.

Arla--by ideal conditions, I assume you mean beastly hot.  Wink  I really enjoyed the mid 30's the past couple of days.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.