Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 1.17.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

DW and I had a GREAT time out at her birthday dinner on Friday night. Our Town Manager and his wife also happened to be there, and we chatted with them for a few minutes and all agreed that we had had a heck of a week, and deserved/needed a night out.

We're in Chester, NY, visiting with a niece and her family for the weekend. I went out for 7 racewalking miles this morning. There are nothing but hills here, and for a flatlander like me, it was a serious challenge. I just worked on maintaining pace on the uphills and recovering quickly and picking up the pace again quickly after I crested each hill. There are no hills like this at home, so this good work will fade in just a couple of days. So it goes...

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - enjoy those hills - they do give a nice workout.

Yesterday's thread had so many things to comment on, great pictures, racing, and life adventures - I sure love coming here each day and seeing what you folks have been up to....

Last night DH and I went to dinner with friends at a Peruvian restaurant in Dayton, a bit upscale for us so it was a special treat, and the food was exquisite.

7 miles for me this morning in a windy (why is it always windy in the winter?) 24 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning Jay, Holly and all to follow. Hope you recover from the good hill workout Jay. And Holly? Tell us about what you ordered at the restaurant last night? I'm curious.

Well, I have a story. Last night we had a house full of people to watch the Packer game and celebrate DS#1 and DIL's birthdays. We sent the 6 kids (oldest being only 9) downstairs because our basement isn't finished and there was really nothing they could get into. Or. So. I. Thought.

Everyone left at halftime, and DH and I stayed up to watch the end of the game   This morning, I woke up at 6:00 as DH and I were planning on going to the Y for a good workout after all of the food and drink yesterday. I'm thinking "Gee - it seems really cold in here for some reason." Went and looked at the thermostat and it said 53°   DH went downstairs to check the furnace, and apparently, one of the kids turned it off. We turned it back on and went to the Y for an hour and a half to warm up! When we got home, the temp was back up to 63° and the furnace has been running non-stop. Just when you think there's nothing for the little ones to mess with.....

4 miles on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights and core. Now off to take a hot shower, and will maybe go down to double check that they didn't turn the water heater off too!!

mrrun

wow - busy morning!

Jay - nice hill workout.  i did hills also, but half the distance - 4 miles and no wind Holly - we'll probably get it tomorrow.  we've had peruvian food a few times - always delicious

Jlynne - brrr.  to quote art linkletter "kids do the darndest things"  boy did that come from waaayyy back.  Sorry you didn't get the game you wanted - we did!

I'm off to NH tomorrow to watch GD1 & GS because DD has to work on MLK day.  hopefully only snow flurries in the morning.  but i'll come back exhausted but happy!

marj

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!  Debbie and I arrived at church at 9:15 for choir practice, only to find out that, because the choir director is on vacation, we didn't need to be here until 9:45.  It sure is peaceful in here, though.

Jlynne--if there is ANYTHING--ANYWHERE--a kid can destroy--they will find it.  I think you should feel lucky you were able to still turn it back on.  Sorry about the...never mind...I'm not going to lie.  I'm rooting for the Cardinals the rest of the way...I love Fitzgerald...he's a Minnesota boy, you know.

Okay--I guess we're starting up, here.  See ya!

moebo

Good morning!

Jay, glad that the b-day dinner went so well! I hope the benefits of your hilly workout will last a little longer than you think...

Holly, I went out to kind-of-upscale Peruvian restaurant last week and loved it! I had seafood paella and it was wonderful. And I agree: why does it have to be so windy in the winter? I don't mind cold, but wind is my enemy.

Jlynne, I was thinking the same thing as MikeE--at least you were able to turn it back on!

Marj, have fun with GD and GS tomorrow.

MikeE, congrats on the win! Hope choir practice was fun.

No long run for me this weekend. The roads were a little dicey, so BF and I just did a very cautious (and windy!) 3.2 miles along the lake, then I continued by myself on a neighborhood loop for another 2.2. I have tomorrow off so am hoping for a longish run in the morning, but we'll have to see if the weather will allow it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Maybe I should get people to pay me to NOT root for their team...

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Sunday, running folks.  Sorry, Packers fans.  Not sure you'd have gotten past Carolina, based on what I've seen so far.

9.1 miles for me this morning.  Quite a bit slower than yesterday.  I understand the logic of a fast run before a long run, but that doesn't make my legs feel any less tired.

Jlynne--Nothing can be made fully child-proof.  It's a corallary to the one we use at work--you can't build idiot proof.  No matter how you do it, there's no way you can think the way they do.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

And Holly? Tell us about what you ordered at the restaurant last night? I'm curious.

I had spicy Peruvian chicken chicharrones - so good - and homemade hummus with a sort of crispy pita strips, and then for dessert a lucuma pudding.  The lucuma is apparently a Peruvian fruit that tastes like butterscotch - it was wonderful!  So good, in fact, that I looked it up to see if maybe I could find the fruit locally, but apparently only lucuma powder is available at local health/whole food stores.    I  did find a recipe for the pudding, though, and I am going to get some of the powder and try making it at home.

Here it is, if anyone wants to try it:

Peruvian Lucuma Pudding  

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup lucuma powder

3/4 cup sugar

3 cups whole milk

4 egg yolks

Chocolate ice cream topping

In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, salt, lucuma powder, and sugar. Before placing on the stove, whisk in the milk. Place saucepan over medium heat, and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture comes to a hard boil. Stir constantly 1 minute. Take the saucepan off the heat. Place the egg yolks in a small bowl. Add about a 1/2 cup of the hot liquid to the egg yolks and whisk quickly. Add the tempered egg yolks to the rest of the mixture and whisk to combine. Place back on the stove. Bring to a boil once again and stir constantly for 1-2 minutes, or until the pudding thickens. Divide into 4 (1 cup) serving dishes. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing wrap directly on top of pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Before serving, drizzle with chocolate ice cream topping, and serve extra chocolate on the side.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Anyone notice that Aamos hooked up with my local runner friend Tara in Florida today?  But apparently flooding caused the course to be changed to just the half, so we need to set up a get-together for another FL race so Tara can get FL and maybe I can tag along and get FL, too.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Yes, what Holly said!  Y'all come down here!  Crazy weather this weekend; the Naples half was cancelled due to flooding and downed power lines.  80+ mph winds.  That's south of FM.  Tara and I were north, near Tampa, so only the full and 50K were cancelled.  Still got to meet Bill Rodgers.  And tun a half.

Jlynne, so inventive, your little ones!

0n the phone in the car (DH driving) so will hit send and hope!

Simon says Ola!  He is in his "RV" in the back seat.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Dave59

Today was the 2nd of 3 races in the Barboursville Winter Series. This one was 4 miles.

If I was a dog I would have placed 2 of 3 overall.  (I'm not sure what I placed among the people. I can't count that high.)

2 miles in a downpour.  *fist pump*

Maybe I should get people to pay me to NOT root for their team...

..2-lbs of Fudge Not to root for Denver........

============

10-degrees wind chill (well-named)

.......60-min HH with trekking poles

.............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Econo, way to put in two miles in the rain.

Holly, I have had Peruvian food only once, in DC and I do remember the pudding. Very tasty.

Stumpy, way to go with your long run after a fast run yesterday. Looking good there!

Aamos, sorry to hear about the crazy weather.

Today was a good day to run my LR. DH had a few friends to watch the game. Seahawks lost Sad, so while they watched the game I went out for a 15 miler with the last 3 miles at MP pace. I have am beginning to accept the idea that my marathon pace is at about 9:45 pace. I know that I need to put in more miles and train faster if I want to go faster, but I don't have the time right now. I am Ok with that since the New the Orleans marathon at the end of February is going to be just a good excuse to hang out with the twocats for a few days.

Cheers

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard