Masters Running

Monday, 11.28.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Did you get into to pool yesterday afternoon, TW?

I'm glad DW and her friend had a good run, TwoCat. Those race posters are a nice way to colorful up your basement.

I'm goad your 14.3 miler was pain-free, Holly, regardless of the speed. I agree that going back to work after a long weekend is always tough, and I don't have the same month-end issues to face that you do.

Congrats on getting under 7 on Saturday in Seattle, Tet, and for having motivational memories to carry you along.

Evanflein, you're forgiven for cutting your run short at 'only' 10.6 because of snow and approaching headlampless darkness.

Our company left at 10 yesterday morning, and DW and I spent a chunk of the rest of the day getting the house and guest house back in order. We also drove up the coast to Portsmouth so I could pick up a new pair of racewalking shoes I had ordered (Topo ST-2). We had (surprise!) leftovers for dinner, and made use of the fryer we had borrowed to make some tasty french fries from a sweet potato we hadn't cooked.

No walking this morning.

Have a greta Monday, despite it being Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I ran 4 this morning at the local park. I was severely overdressed because I wasn't in the mood to feel "chilled". I was soaked through by the end.

They have signs up in the park that say, "Predator trapping in progress. Keep pets on a leash. Be cautious in this area."  I talked to a woman walking a couple dogs and asked her what they were trying to catch.  Speculation is coyotes or bobcat. She has called the town 3 times and not gotten an answer.

Workouts are slow and don't feel all that great. I get a pain between my shoulder blades once I get past 2-3 miles.  I had a chiropractor appointment this morning and he tried to loosen me up but it seems hopeless.  I am a 57 year old trapped in an 80 year old body.

Marathon Maniac #957

I am a 57 year old trapped in an 80 year old body.

Where has Amos been lately?

No run for me today, swimming instead: 36 lengths (18 laps).

Hope your Monday is not too stressful!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave -   Throw in some strength and core training.  It'll help.

No running yesterday.  Bagged it and spent the day with The Hub.  Made him a happy camper.

Starr - Finished knitting my first hat.  It's not a thing of total beauty, but it ain't bad, either.  Toward the end I realized I needed to move the stitches to double pointed needles, which I didn't have.  The Hub and I hit Michael's and JoAnn's and couldn't find the correct size, so I bought an "inexpensive" pair of knitting in the round needles and clipped off the cable part.  . . . . . then realized I actually needed 3 dble pointed needles.  *sigh*.  Took some thinking on my part (which is always scary), but I finally jerry-rigged a fix.  I'm ready to move on to another one!

Have a great week, friends ~~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Hi All!

It's good to be back to a routine after 5 days off work. I wish I could say I did lots of running and was super productive, but I can't. on either account. Celebrated my bday, Thanksgiving, slept too much (now that I have a nice new and very comfortable bed, I can lie it for 8-10 hrs!), took dogs for walks, stayed inside and out of the rainy cold mess - - and well, that's about it. 

Starting to look at my 2017 schedule and figuring out what race to run each month. I need to have something planned each month or I'll fall way off the running wagon as I did this year. 

Sorry to hear of Posie's father. I hope she is able to spend some quality time with him.  Thanks for keeping us updated on that TwoCat.

Tammy

..mornin' guys//...yep, 40-min PoolRun yesterday

==========

and today Christmas Came Early-

about a decade ago,

I didn't know WHAT was wrong with my leg

but

bought 3-pairs of Adidas Adistar Cushion-6's  to hopefully fix it

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/ADI1520/mens-adidas-adistar-cushion-6

I rotated two pair,

but the 3rd

I put in my closet

because

I hoped One Day I'd need them again

today was the day

============

45-min HH ''jog'' in The Most Comfortable Shoe I have ever worn

IT WAS GREAT,

50's, gusty winds, spitting a little rain

does it get better??

I think not

......now,

I will go back to HH Walking in the future

(I could literally feel the hip implant when I was stretching out)

but

-W0W-

...............Wishing You All The Joy of a First Run..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TomWhite - SWEET!!!!  

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

ketchup ketchup ketchup - I'm trying!!

Hope Posai is spending more than 30 minutes with her Papa - if he is failing he should be able to have his family around him all the time!!

Lost something -- why yes - one time I lost the small diamond earring a friend gave me for my 50th birthday. I knew it had to be in my bathroom somewhere, but couldnt find it - didn't vacuum or sweep that floor for weeks looking for it. Finally one day I sat on the floor and said God - I know this is just something material, but it is sentimental and I am going to look one last time for it. If I'm meant to find it, lead me to it.

Don't you know I found that tiny earring stuck in a little box on the floor in the bathroom closet!!!  I was so thankful - and then cleaned the heck out of that floor!!!!

Erika - I ran long with a friend yesterdat who wanted to stop when we hit 10.7 just so we could cool down and walk back to our cars. No safety issues involved like your run - I was like no way!! We are this close to 11 and we are going to finish it - we can walk around the parking lot after that!! LOL But I agree, you made the smart decision for your conditions!!

Today 3.25 miles on the treadmill before heading in to a work conference. It was very interesting on Women and Cancer, but so hard to stay awake and sit still in auditorium seats all day!!

My dh headed back to work today - did ok, but he looks quite tired this evening. I wish he stayed out a little longer.  He PCP called him and said - um, how are you feeling? I want you in the office this week!! I hope they let into him about changing his diet. He doesn't eat excessively, but he thinks bakery cookies, pastries, muffins are acceptable snacks!! Just one of those has more saturated fat than he should have in half a day!! Going to take awhile for him to realize he needs to follow a cardiac diet more seriously!!

Happy Monday friends!!

denise

tomwhite I cannot believe you kept a pair of sneakers unused for a decade! Oh yeah, good news on the using them thing to.  Seriously, it is good to read.

Dave59 lions, they are after lions. Trust me on this. Bring lion food to distract them with. That or a dog which can double as such. Okay, okay before the animal rights outrage mob gets going that was a JOKE, a JOKE folks! I realize they are actually trying to trap alligators! Geez.

Just some time in the gym for me today. Then off to work. I got to finish the day there with a faculty meeting. Somebody kill me!  There must be a more pointless way to waste a group's time but I cannot think of one.

Mariposai's dad is still in the ICU. deez4boyz what Mariposai told me is that they do not have a hospice like section in their hospitals which would allow the family to stay with him 24/7. At this point though, I think the family is still holding out hope for some sort of miracle recovery. I can understand it. When my dad was fading away thanks to cancer I kept hoping, long after I knew better.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Head Procrastinator

Thanks for the update on papa posie, Matt. We are all glad she is able to be there no matter the outcome.

Leslie, LaT is the queen of knitting. Maybe she could give you a pointer?

Tammy, I hear you about going back to work. I was pretty active but this morning 5:30 was NOT going to happen. Will try for that tomorrow.

Denise, glad to hear DH is back to his old self? Um yeah but the old snacks gotta go.

I had my yearly checkup today, everything is good except Thyroid is borderline slugglish, will do blood again in 3 months and see.

Plus,my abnormal cardiogram earns me another echo and harness for a day. It's been abnormal mostly forever so no worries.

Oh yeah and I am an inch shorter then I was most of my life <rolleyes> but if asked my height dammit I am still 5'5"

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tammy - Happy Birthday weekend
                        has it been ten years since those hot tub days?
                        Tom - I still have slightly, very slightly, used orange Nike
                        waffle stompers from 1977 and blue Brooks Vantage from 1980.

The only other running shoes I bought until I quit running shoes

in 1990 were green Nikes with a trail tread and a Saucony something.

I wonder if Roch and TomS do too?

Hally - Unfortunately, while getting shorter-and-shorter
                        at this stage, feet also seem to get bigger-and-bigger.

Good luck on keeping mari out of the IUC

dress as a nurse, volunteer or something.

They better not try to keep my DD from me.

besides, mari can run faster than they can.

= = = = = = =

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/11/28/man-with-lung-disease-finishes-marathon-towing-oxygen-tank.html

As in this year’s rainy Portland Marathon, Seattle volunteers hang out in the rain too long after the official eight-hour cutoff until the last runner crossed the finish line.  This year, it was 10hr/55min for 63-yo Evans Wilson who had started at 6am, more than an hour before my official early walkathon start.  Seeing him at mile 9 with an entourage towing two oxygen tanks, I guess we thought had severe asthma or something, not terminally ill and raising money in his first marathon for for the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation. 

Makes it kind of hard to complain about not being fast nymore, a terminal condition he’s already exceeded the expected three year survival rate.  Thanks Evans.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good luck on keeping mari out of the IUC

dress as a nurse, volunteer or something.

They better not try to keep my DD from me.

besides, mari can run faster than they can.

Amazing Evans!

TomWhite - sweet!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave -   Throw in some strength and core training.  It'll help.

No running yesterday.  Bagged it and spent the day with The Hub.  Made him a happy camper.

Starr - Finished knitting my first hat.  It's not a thing of total beauty, but it ain't bad, either.  Toward the end I realized I needed to move the stitches to double pointed needles, which I didn't have.  The Hub and I hit Michael's and JoAnn's and couldn't find the correct size, so I bought an "inexpensive" pair of knitting in the round needles and clipped off the cable part.  . . . . . then realized I actually needed 3 dble pointed needles.  *sigh*.  Took some thinking on my part (which is always scary), but I finally jerry-rigged a fix.  I'm ready to move on to another one!

Have a great week, friends ~~

Glad you figured that out, Leslie but you really need four dp needles. You can go down a size when knitting that last part on the crown and it won't change the size of the hat at all. So proud of you, girl!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich