Masters Running

Waiting for Thanksgiving Wednesday 11/24/21 (Read 36 times)

Ok, I'll start us off one more time if no one minds.  Thinking of Holly this morning and hoping that everything goes well.  Let's hear it for women letting their hair go gray!  Embrace the new look ladies!   So, Steve, like HOW MUCH oatmeal and sprinkles?  And do you pour the stuff directly in the vials or let it cool first?  Mike - 35 people??!!!  Like Erika said, where do you possibly put everyone?  Do they eat standing up?!  Great swim BTY.  I can't imagine doing the whole length of the pool under water doing dolphin kicks.  Yeah, Tet's posts always seem to have subliminal messages.  Sorry there's no fresh tarragon Erika.  I'm surprised you didn't grow any in your garden!  A belated happy birthday Tammy!  Hope it was a great day.

5.42 miles this morning with MORE running stretches than I've done since back surgery in July.  Maybe there's hope...  I finished with 20 minutes of core and stretching.

I had two customer orders over $500 yesterday!    Though with candy at $24/pound, it doesn't take long.  As busy as it was yesterday, I know today will be an absolute zoo.  Off to channel my inner Wilma Wonka.

Have a great Wednesday Masters!

BTY

Ok, I'll start us off one more time if no one minds. 

Great start!  I don't think anyone minds.

Woke up in time to go to the fitness center this morning before work, but got up and had a nice long cup of coffee (still nursing the end of the pot of "Death Wish" coffee actually) and a hearty breakfast and decided to blow off my workout until I felt like it, later on today.   Main reason I'm posting pre-workout is to say the host club of the ePostal Virtual 3000 yard and 6000 yard swim competitions ("World Championships") posted the preliminary results this morning and I was so happy to see that I'm no longer at the very bottom!   Last year I was the last in my AG in the 6,000 yard with something like 2:02: xx, and I didn't do the 3,000.  This year my 1:44:54 earned me 4th in my AG (4th out of 5 LOL) and my 52:10 in the 3,000 was good for 8th in my AG (8th out of 9 LOL).  So on one hand I finished in the top 4 and top 8, respectively, in the world in my age group.  But that's just for fun.   For perspective, the guy who won my AG in both events swam a 33:54 in the 3,000 and a 1:10:31 in the 6,000.   Generally, though, my times have moved to the middle of the pack of "the rest of us".  More importantly, they show improvement, in particular the 6,000 yards, since that was a 1:44.9/100 pace and the 3,000 was a 1:44.3/100 pace.  It also tells me I should have done the 3,000 yards a little faster....I think....we'll see the next time I try it.

Dave59

3.6 for me this morning.

We are losing 2 folks to retirement.  We had a perfect candidate for a new hire.  They had contracted with us in the past, so they could hit the ground running.  Everything was going great in an interview yesterday until it came up that our company has a vaccine mandate.  Well, we lost the candidate over that. They would have been a remote programmer with no customer or fellow employee contact.  So there is no need to be vaccinated for employment in my opinion.  (On the other hand, I just wish everyone who could, would get vaccinated.)

Wish we had a chocolate shop around here where live in WV.  Up in Michigan there is a placed called Alpine Chocolate Haus and I go crazy in there.  Never $500 though. At least in one visit.   But it is a 10th of the size of the one Jlynne works at.  (I am pretty sure I went there multiple times when my daughter lived in Green Bay.)

Thanks for the start, Jeanne. And 35 people? My DW sometimes feels overwhelmed with just the 4 of us.

Happy Birthday (a day late), Tammy!

Sending favorable vibes to Holly!

DH took me on a "date" to the local junk yard, to try to get a new back door for our Sprinter van.  He backed into a tree last week and dented the door.  The one at the junk yard was too rusty and in bad shape so we didn't get it, but at least the dented one still latches.

Reminds me during my college days when a neighbor backed into the side door of my (POS) '62 Pontiac Tempest. I think we settled for about $150 cash. I went to a junkyard, bought a compatible door from a Buick Skyklark, then stopped at an auto supply place and bought a few cans of Dupli-Color touchup spray paint. When I finished, the door actually looked better than the rest of the car, which had a serious rust problem! Made money on the deal, too.

He is constantly doing home repair work for me, which made me feel kind of guilty until I had an epiphany the other day that he actually loves working with power tools and doing projects - I just buy the lumber etc.  He put a new roof on my backyard shed last weekend.

And you're just figuring this about most (?) guys? My DW jokes that one initial attraction for her was that I was an engineer, so made good money and could fix things around the house. 

They regularly add new rides to my virtual riding app and the latest addition is a set of 6 rides in the region of Brittany, France. Usually, over half the rides on that platform are beyond my capability, but I can do every one of this new set. So today I rode "Stage 1" of what I'm calling my personal "Tour de France". It was 13.8 miles on a very rolling route (600 ft climbing) along the coast on the southern side of the Brittany peninsula. I averaged 14.8mph and 107W for a decent workout (360 calories).

Now to help DW with Thanksgiving day-before prepping...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Thanks for the start, JLynne.  My hair is mostly my now natural color, but I can't stand it so I get it highlighted every couple of months.  When I asked my former hair stylist what color it was, she said, "You're color."   I grew up a blondie, and how it's not blonde nor is it brunette.  It's just very "meh."

BTY - Congrats on the AG placement!

Nuthin' for me so far, but I'll do my core/ST after work.  Hopefully, the office will close a little early.  We'll see.

Nothing big for us tomorrow, either.  It's pretty much just another day in our household.  The Hub has to mow a business' yard in the morning and I'm waffling on whether or not I want to run the Turkey Trot I signed up for.  We'll see.  Bright and early Friday morning, The Hub's leaving for 2 1/2 days and that's what I'm really thankful for!!! 

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thanks, Jeanne.  We appreciate ALL the starts here!    Nice pictures, Steve.    35 people....wow.  There are going to be 15-17 where we are going and even as relatively accepting of the COVID situation as I am, it makes me a little nervous.  I think the large indoor gatherings are where things can go south.  Hopefully, we will all emerge unscathed!

Dave- I agree the vaccine mandates can be problematic and are costing companies some employees.  Tractor has not done a mandate, but has upped the incentive pay for getting the vaccine.

5.1 outside miles for me this morning and now I'm fighting with my electronics.  My iPod is out of storage and also needs a software update, which there isn't room to do.  Not a huge issue, except it somehow acquires the new software and then the battery tanks since it's sitting there.  If that makes any sense..... So Ken and I have deleted my music, installed the new software and will put the music back.  They don't even make iPods anymore, and I really like mine.

I'm in the still doing hair color camp.  It's expensive and a little high maintenance, but I have no plans to give it up!  I am my mother's daughter....

Happy day before Thanksgiving!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

bioguy

Hi all!

No runs yet, but Mrs Bio and I walked the dogs about 1.5 miles today, then I went to the Farmer's Market and bought some beautiful Swiss chard.

DD#1, her husband and three grandchildren have descended o our house. Life is good!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

make me realize that I've never had an original idea. 

Steve - that's about as believable as MikeE sayin' he's not fast or only having a small group over for Thanksgiving dinner, Jay and deezie not busy, Tramps, econo and twocat not smart, Dave doesn't like Reese's peanut butter cups or Jeanne chocolate, goddesses not beautiful, BTY afraid of the water, Stumps hates dogs, KSA doesn't have any shoes, grandkids aren't cute, Wildchild, Tammy, bio and Leslie don't like trails, Henry not a celebrity not only in here, falcon and roch not liking spinning, erika and murray weather-wimps, . . . nice try, though.

ps - please add.

ps Mike - how many turkeys needed for 35 guests.

Who cooks them?  Who cleans up?

Any running plans for tomorrow?

Do you do a T'giving poem?

Next time have 'em take you to a restaurant, . . . or Jay's.

Nice 78% waning gibbous in the sky for lighting up some midnight front yard work without nosey neighbors walking by wondering what was going on must have woken up to do but, though clouded over in preparation for projected Thanksgiving rains when I finally got up for real at 6am to go over a get a small turkey for tomorrow at a local grocery store coincidentally near the Hillside Park so did a circuit on the newly blown trails now clear of the brown Big Maple Leaf tree leaves that were yellow for a day-or-two but with a nearby resident’s still-yellow-leafed tree providing the welcome mat.

May be an image of tree and nature

May be an image of 1 person, tree and nature

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mrrun

3 miles RT to the museum to see a new Dutch exhibit.  Very well put together. stopped for lunch on way back.

if anyone watches Macy’s day parade tomorrow, my SIL, niece & nephew will be holding the Picachu balloon - near the end before Sandy Claus

went gray 9 + years ago once I decided was retiring.  Have a fair number of friends who made the decision during COVID.

happy cooking, eating, and schmoozing

coastwalker

Hi Masters,

Good review of yesterday's posts, and good workout this morning - congrats on being able to do more running. Very nice customers you had yesterday - maybe they'll come back today!

Congrats on your not-last AG finishes, BTY and, more importantly, your impressive times, regardless of placement. Your diligent training in the pool has clearly paid off.

It does seem weird, Dave, that an employee with no employee or customer contact would be required to be vaccinated. But it's probably a lot easier (not that it is easy) to just make everyone subject to the requirement. We do have some pretty good chocolate shops around here to which I'm very tempted to visit, but dare not.

Congrats on getting started on your PTDF, Roch. I hope the rest of the rides are as good as today's.

Congrats on getting back to your color, Leslie. Have a good day tomorrow, whether you Trot or not.

Nice run, KSA. Good luck with the electronics today, and all those folks tomorrow.

Good way of getting out and around this morning, Bioguy. Have fun with the fam.

That's a heck of a list, Tet! Nice yard work under the waning gibbous and trail work this morning.

Belated HAPPY Birthday, Tammy. I forgot that you were walking with one wing out of commish, and that sheds a whole different light on things. My DW broke her humerus a few inches below the shoulder, and is still in PT 10 weeks after the fall. They initially told her it would be a 14-week recovery.

Cool photos and recipe, Steve!

In the middle of the night last night, I heard something ceramic fall and break. I got up and looked around most of the house, but couldn't find whatever it was. I walked all over again this morning, and still haven't found it. If it was a dream, it was pretty dang realistic.

I got a letter yesterday telling us that we got a $10K grant to help fund the purchase of about 22 acres of conservation land. It's just a small fraction of the purchase price, but it will definitely make a difference. We've been awarded 2 grants so far, and are waiting to hear about a third.

When I woke at 3:45, I fed the cat and thought about going back to bed 'cause my hip was sore, I could hear the wind howling, and I knew the temp was somewhere south of freezing. But,, as usual, I just kept moving forward and was dressed and out the door before I knew it. And the wind was still blowing pretty good out there, and it was 27° according to Mr. Garmin. The first 2+ miles were into the wind and were pretty challenging and chilling. But once I turned a corner and the wind wasn't in my face, it was a lot more comfortable. I got in 6.3 EZ RW miles, which is not bad (or maybe it is) as an alternative to going back to bed.

We're having Thanksgiving dinner with neighbors tomorrow, and will also be Zooming with family at various times during the day. I opted not to do a Turkey Trot, but will definitely get out for my own trot in the morning.

Have a greta Wednesday and Thanksgiving.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

They don't even make iPods anymore, and I really like mine.

KSA - After carrying around 2 different iPods for years (one for music, one for podcasts) and dealing with both of them slowly withering away, I broke down and bought an iPod touch.  It's like a mini iPad.  I love it!  It holds an incredible amount of music and podcasts.  I have a significant amount of both on there at the moment and it's not anywhere near being full.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MurrayM

8K today at a slow/moderate speed in steady rain with occasional snowflakes.

I have the iPod Touch.  Apple basically doesn't sell them anymore.  There is a page on their site, but no availability.  I guess they want everyone to just use their phones.  My problem is storage.  Ken is still working at restoring all my music.  He hates the Apple platform anyway (he's a Google person) and is just thrilled with this way to spend the day. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm in the still doing hair color camp.  It's expensive and a little high maintenance, but I have no plans to give it up!  

I am right there with you.- I am never going gray if I can help it!  But it really doesn't cost me much.  I get color from Sally's and about every three weeks I color my roots (parting my hair about every 1/4 inch and squirting color in) which takes about 10 minutes.  45 minutes later, shower it off, and the gray is gone.  Well, mostly gone.  I'm not actually doing salon-quality coloring, but it will suffice.

Home from surgery.  I took a nap when I got home, and now am thinking of maybe getting something to eat before settling down on the sofa.  My foot is massively wrapped up, and is supposed to stay this way until 12/3, when the doc will take it off at my follow up appointment.  I suspect when the nerve block wears off this is going to be pretty painful, so I am going to take a couple of pain pills soon, as I feel it beginning to hurt....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

i doubt I'll ever grey either since I have blonde hair. 

Tet - ahhhh, the good ol days - hottub parties, and talk of spankies.  hard to believe that was a little over 15 yrs ago eh? 

Tomorrow will be a small gathering at our house. David is on his way home right now. I'm expecting him around mid afternoon.  Just 7 of us for Turkey Day celebrations tomorrow. And all but one (my brothers GF) are vaxx'd.  but both DH and I had our boosters recently and David is going to a walk in clinic in town on his way home to stop and get his. Fortunately, the GF is a very solitary person so is really never in high risk situations and she has a very low risk exposure job also (cleans airbnb's). So I'm not concerned about her unvaxx'd status. 

sun is finally starting to break out, so will probably head out for a walk a bit later.  Need to work off that bday cake from yesterday. I met up with the weekly 5K run group and even though I am not running with them right now, I've still been joining them for a beer and socializing. well, they surprised me with cake, flowers, a GC, and bought my beer (should have had more than one had I known someone else was buying! lol ) . it was a fun evening.  Thank you for all the birthday wishes also!

Tammy