Masters Running

Saturday, 10.22.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Just checking in to report that last night's political dinner was a raucous 4.5-hour affair, with boisterous discussions about all kinds of topics related to the Presidential election (as well as some local/state election issues), and with opinions ranging from conservative to liberal and every position in between, including 3rd party proponents. The one area where there was agreement was that the system is broken, that we (the voters) need to take charge to fix it, and that (sadly) is unlikely to happen. We all completed seekrit ballots to indicate who we think will win various federal/state/local elections, and by what percentage of the vote. Those ballots will be revealed at our next (post-election) dinner. As we were leaving, there were hugs and smiles all around, so we are still good friends, despite our different political opinions and outlooks. The hostess said that she loves this group, and we all share that sentiment.

No workout today, as I'm still dealing with my knot (piriformis?) issue. Today will be filled with stretching, prep work for next Saturday's 5K, stretching, cooking and baking, and maybe some stretching. It's too wet from last night's rain to work outside, but I might be able to blow some leaves around tomorrow.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

My DW, her friends and I all invoked the "No running in the rain!"© rule this morning. I did 8.5 on the TM and now my DW is on it. I will do my last 16 mile run pre-marathon tomorrow instead of today. Speaking of weather, I am determined to avoid obsessing over what it will be for the marathon. So I want you all to know that I did not check the 15 day forecast or take the screenshot below or highlight the weather forecast for race day or . . . learn to tell the truth as a young man. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Head Procrastinator

<snork> Matt

No his and hers treadmills?

I think it may have stopped raining here.....for a bit. There is dry pavement out there.

So undecided, my riding plans were cancelled.

Will report back later.

Enjoy the weekend!

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
        BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Did my neighbourhood 5 miler today. Actually needed mittens for the first 2 miles. I love fall. Love running this time of year. Just wish it had been on trails. I think I may have talked my sister into training for the Detroit half next year. We walked it two years ago but I think she might be getting an itch to try running a portion of it. Yay.

Happy Saturday to all.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

So 2C, what makes you think that if it’s raining today
            where you are but it’s sunny in Seattle that it will be sunny
            where you will be on marathon day?  That isn’t even logical.
            ps - I thought it was tomorrow. 
            pps - if ilene doesn’t know, it might not count, you know. 
            ppps - isn’t there a rule against weather worrywarts more than a week out?

Even though I’m tapering for tomorrow’s UW Homecoming Husky 10K, I put on my purple Portland Marathon Finisher long sleeve and cycled up-and-along the Seattle Marathon route from the floating bridges to Seward Park and back.  In addition to several cycling peletons enjoying a warm fall day (60o), literally hundreds of runners getting geared up for the SM, even some in PM shirts. Unfortunately, the steady, heavy rains for the last three days have left but a shadow of the fall foliage I was expecting.

ps hally - hope it gets better so you can get out and enjoy it while it lasts too.

pps zigalina - didn't your bear spray work for the week in Glacier National Park or not?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - Cortisol levels, not Cholesterol levels.  It was my adrenal function the doc was questioning.  And stop looking at the weather.

Tet - that link takes me to the Portland Marathon website, but I can't find where you enter your bib and ask for a reduction.  Do we just email the general information email address?

No run for me yesterday, just swimming - 46 lengths(23 laps) and about 20 minutes of weights and core. Today was 6.5 miles in a breezy 43 degrees.  That sure feels cold!  But I know by spring that will feel like a warm day....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet - that link takes me to the Portland Marathon website,

but I can't find where you enter your bib and ask for a reduction. 

Do we just email the general information email address? 

yeah, holly, it seems the link stays the same as you progress
                through the necessary links to submit a correction request.

Thanks again for the idea to send mine in too.

It made it my fastest finish in the last 50 marathon since 2012. 
                1. PortlandMarathon.org
                2. View your 2016 results
                3. For result corrections, please use our request form
                4. Results correction request
                please allow 24-48 hours to process your request
                reason for request: my results are wrong.
                Race Name: Portland Marathon
                First Name:
                Last Name:
                Phone no.:
                etc..
                Additional Comments: my finish time may include the extra half mile or so

https://www.runraceresults.com/Secure/RaceResults.cfm?ID=RCAG2016

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Head Procrastinator

So I got all dressed to run outside but put on a sleeveless shirt under the long sleeved one to do weights after, well I missed my window and it had started raining again. So into the gym in my building, there was a guy doing weights when I got there but he left in about 15 minutes and had the place to myself the rest of the time.

I don't mind running in the rain but I don't like squishy shoes. Maybe I need to take page from Tet's book.

Anyway ended up with 50 mins on the elliptical and 30 mins of weights, strength. Then did some retail therapy at my favorite local boutique Smile

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

Sayhey! MM#130

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

Heaven!  We didn't get out of the 70s today!!  Went for a long bike ride to the beach and back with DH, then chores and now totally cheering on the Cubs!  Love them and Joe Madden and what a great Saturday night!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

If this continues, it will be really hard picking a team to root for.

Hope Henry is still doing well.  DW has to keep reminding herself that it's only been 3 full days since surgery.  She's making good progress.  Me, I hope to make it out for a run in the morning after I get her installed happily on the couch.

Weather looking any better, TC?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

9 miles after re-doing my entry way flower garden. Tired now, but very, very happy.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

So I got all dressed to run outside but put on a sleeveless shirt under the long sleeved one to do weights after, well I missed my window and it had started raining again. So into the gym in my building, there was a guy doing weights when I got there but he left in about 15 minutes and had the place to myself the rest of the time.

Last time I had the gym to myself was at a hotel with good facilities. The music was horrid. Bad horrid. There's old Stevie pounding on the dreadmill blocking out the wretched noise. After a bit, I was the only one there and the stereo was blaring and electronic, "Blap Blap Blap......." Inconsiderate little heathens. Do I stop and change stations or finish up? Then the fire department came through. So I stayed and finished my work out.

Love the picture Mariposai.

I took Friday off to work at our church. We made 1190 apple pies. DD#1 and GD#Cutiepie showed up. When she saw me, she started telling everyone, "Grampy here!". Then, Where's Grammy?

She helped quarter pealed apples.

Norah carried bags of sliced apples to the pie fillers. Carried balls of dough to the crust rollers. Mixed flour. Made friends.

Then came back (with flour on her checks) to help Grampy chop.

At one point, she started kissing the apples before we quartered them.

At first I freaked out because of germs and paranoia.  Then remembered the quartered chunks are washed three times before they are sliced.

Saturday, I was getting shirts together for Good Will. While I'm trying to fold them, Tag was trying to put them on. Hint taken.

We had a blast with the time of year and the IRC.

After two miles, DW sent a text that she was on the way with GS#2. Jude started off with, "Run a minute"

Then, "Walk a minute."

Grammy and Grampy convinced him to "Ride a minute"

We went off the trail and made a discovery!!

The dog really liked the house of sticks and grabbed onto the biggest one he could. DW hollered at him before he could have fun.

SteveP

Great pictures Steve! Your GD is beautiful!

Mike E

MM #5615

Great pictures Steve! Your GD is beautiful!

Yep!