Masters Running

Friday, 3.17.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s tremendous workouts:
    RunnerKSA (4.5 sea wall miles with noisy sea birds, wind, and humidity)
    Tramps (11 miles, including 4 at tempo, into and with the wind)
    BerthaSlayer (8 miles with 5X1 repeats, with Mr. Slayer, and 2 coyotes or something)
    Tomwhite (40 min poolrun with no belt, closed fist, running in shallows, using against water)
    Tet (5 moonlit, rainless, pre-sunrise miles)
    Catwhoorg (about 6 miles, not butt-freezing)
    Dave (3 Florida miles in 29° morning temps)
    Mike (EZ 6 mile in a fine mist-not-rain)
    Enke (6+ miles run/walk on stupid knee in 50° SUNNY weather)
    Mariposai (5 EZ miles to test sinus infection)
    Evanflein (5.15 TM miles on hot second floor, with a pink face)
    Steve (2-ish mile hike with Tag and Mia)

I’ll bet that we all have hotels and other places where we’ve stayed that we’d rather forget. We stayed in a B&B once that was very shoddy and very creepy, as was the host. We slept with one eye open that night, and left before breakfast the next morning.

Fatozzig, The Hub sure has a romantic way with words, doesn’t he?   But I’m glad he’ll help with the new desk.

RunnerKSA, why would you sign up for a hard and hot marathon?

Wow! Tet stayed at the Imperial Palace!

Good job wearing out the grandkids, and yourself, Dave.

Tammy, I hope you gave yourself a break from work and got a run in.

Have a great time at the cabin with the kiddos, Enke. Hopefully, you’ll be cougarless.

Keep your usual positive attitude, Mariposai, and you’ll do just fine in your marathon in 3 weeks.

Evanflein says “We have cold temps here…” Oh, really? Just reading about your temps makes me shiver!

“The average person stumbling onto this forum would think, "What's wrong with those people?". True that, Steve, on just about any day.  Let us know how things work out with that round window.

Now that the proposed federal budget is out, I’m getting lots of requests for letters of support for continued funding for environmental research and advocacy groups. My estuary protection organization has worked with quite a few of those groups, and couldn’t have accomplished half of what we have done without their help, so I’m pretty busy writing letters to our Congressional delegation. But it is sad that this has become necessary for the survival of those groups, and for the continued employment of some wonderful, talented, and passionate people.

After 2 days off, I got off my lazy butt and went out for a workout at J o'clock, in 20° temps. I went 6.6 RW miles, and even managed negative splits. I'm still nursing my damnstring a bit, as it continues to v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y improve.

If Steamtown had a half I might consider it. But there is no way I can (or want to) do a full.

Have a greta Friday & St. Patrick's Day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Great work as usual, Jay.  And good morning to all.

Steve--that brings to mind a saying that probalby ties into the "normal" around here.  square peg, round hole yaddah, yaddah.

It's an awful power when you know someone's deep dark weaknesses, Leslie.  use it carefully.

3.25 around the lake.  the town DPW did an amazing job on clearing the sidewalks off from what I ran on on Wednesday.  With the fact that it hasn't gone above freezing, I thought the chunky stuff would be there for quite a while.  I will admit that I am ready for warmer days.  The news last night said that after setting a record high on March 1st, the rest of the month is now more than 5° below average.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

2.2 or so this morning. I forgot to turn on my Garmin when I started, but I did a familiar little loop around the a pond here at the cottage so I know how far I went.

I think it was in the 30's this morning and it is headed back into normal Tallahassee weather today. 70's today and 80 tomorrow.

Can't seem to get Annabelle to wake up this morning.  She will be 9 next week, but appears to be more like a teenager everyday.

I’ll bet that we all have hotels and other places where we’ve stayed that we’d rather forget. We stayed in a B&B once that was very shoddy and very creepy, as was the host. We slept with one eye open that night, and left before breakfast the next morning.

Kind of like the Bates Hotel? "People check in, but they don't check out"

Just checking in to see what y'all are up to. Went to Urgent Care yesterday and unfortunately, this flu is viral so it's just going to have to run it's course. I can feel my muscles turning to mush even as I type. My St Paddy's Day meal will consist of Aleve and orange juice.

Since everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's day, enjoy!

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

“The average person stumbling onto this forum would think, "What's wrong with those people?".

The creepiest motel I stayed at was somewhere in Ohio when I raced a no longer in existence (unless it has been reincarnated) marathon called Red White and Blue 26.2.   This motel did indeed have a Bates-like owner/operator and a seedy restaurant across the street labelled "Food" which was probably a front operation for illiegal operations and all we heard all night were police sirens. The race was fun though. I ran along side a race walker who was completing his 280th marathon with 200 of those on an artificial knee. I remember his name was Bill. I wish I remembered his last name. He beat me but waited to see me finish.

This forum is the first thing I log into in the morning. Makes my day. Glad I found it.

Today I have my cute little mile to run. I am on day 16 of my new streak. I have missed one day since Dec. 26 as I missed March 1.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

One of the worst hotels I stayed in was in South Boston in the late 1980s.  There were cigarette burns on the tub and a distinct hole in the bathroom door clearly caused by a big knife.  There was another one in Toronto.  The hotel was not bad at all, but there was a screaming woman across the hall and the police came.  She didn't speak English so we didn't know what she was screaming about, but it was some kind of domestic violence.

Well, I gotta get going here...

Erika - I can understand preferring the cold and sun over the gloom and rain.

Mariposai - let me know too if you are in Seattle for sushi!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tramps

Steve--nice pics again.  (Steam bend those boards?)

Fly-by post: EZ 6 this morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

Re: Hatfield and McCoy marathon-   It's supposed to be a fun event and I like the smaller races. (i.e. The Monkey).  Hard and hot means no pressure.

2 miles this morning after getting home very late last night from my Texas trip.  So- sort of a rest day....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...I think enke just Won the Scary Hotel Contest......

2 days before my Hip Surgery,

we spent the night in a motel UNDER the overpasses in Nashville,

we thought

we were gonna be murdered, but we weren't

============

...but I digress......

40s and sprinkling

40-min HH on GreenWay

bumped up to 3-lb handweights.........TheBack will let me know later tonite if that was Wise

................gpod running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

catwhoorg

Labrat

Uneventful 6

I have stayed in some odd places, small guests houses that cater to contract workers and the like.

Comfortable enough, but very bare bones.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

mrrun

great motel discussions going on.  Our sleaziest was Phoenix when we flew in on super bowl day - early because of a snow storm and found the only close open room in motel 6.  the sheets were dirty in the first room they gave us, so they 'upgraded' us to room with clean sheets - and we were out of there the next morning

ran about 8 yesterday and followed it this morning with 2 hours of digging in a crypt (my muscles are complaining!).  our findings were some animal bones and possible coffin handle and other hardware.  we're inside digging at the Old North Church (screening outside in the snow) and hoping not to find human remains.  for locals, i expect a piece in the boston globe in the next couple of days as they were onsite today.

happy evacuation day (the british left boston - used to be a state holiday) - oh yes, happy st patricks day also

marj

mta: I agree with Jay about steamtown - too long a drive to cheer on peeps only

Wow!  This is the first time I've been able to post since yesterday!  (Maybe it's because I'm at work . . . .)

Thanks for the update on TSelbs, Steve and Dave.  Tell him we miss him.

Hope you feel better soon, JLynne.

Posie Lady - I have no doubt you will do fine at your marathon.

Leave it to Tet to have slept in some out of the ordinary places. 

Jay - Dang those hamstrings!

Creepy Hotels - Our worst was in Salt Lake City.  We were on a driving/camping circuit that took us from home to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, SLC, Brice Canyon, and Eastern, OR, and I can't remember where else.  Anyway, we got to SLT very late, had no idea what part of town we were in, and stopped at the first place we could find.  We should've known from the "clientele" hanging around outside that it was in a less than desirable neighborhood.  The room was disgusting (the carpet was actually sticky), the bed caved in toward the middle, but the sheets appeared clean.  The camper shell on our old truck extended a little bit past the truck bed, so there was no way to completely secure things.  The Hub spent almost the entire night keeping an eye on it.

The next day, a high school friend of mine who had hit it big while going to college in SLC (he is now worth  millions), showed up in his $$$$ car in his $$$ suite to take us to breakfast.  The Hub told me a few years later that he was completely embarrassed that he had taken me to said hotel. My friend never said anything negative, just sort of grinned when he arrived and asked if we realized we were in the worst part of town.

To this day, I'm surprised we didn't end up with some "disease" from that place.

Nothing much else to report except still hobbling around on crutches.  This morning the thought crossed my mind that if I hadn't been doing all the upper body ST these past few weeks, the crutches would be killing me.  But such is not the case, just sort of sore hands.

Okay - Back to work . . .

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks for the recap,  jay.

yep, cigarettes and bottles under the beds, yucky rugs, etc.

I've encountered as a matter of course in accommodations

over the years.  Fortunately, never invited any rich friends

over, as if I have any. No wonder I prefer sleeping

outside, . . . or in my sleeping bag inside.

Back to grey skies and rain that make the fish

and forests so happy and abundant around here

in the PNW.  Even though I'd already run the titular

marathon for the year I did in those days, I remember

signing up for my first Seattle Marathon in 1990

over an unplanned Thanksgiving weekend in Seattle

solely because the weather was so lousy I figured

no one else'd show up and I get an AG placing or something.

I found out a lot about runners who live here when,

even though it was so rainy and windy throughout

in what is still known as the "Thanksgiving Weekend Storm,"

that one of the floating bridges sank, everyone showed up

to get bussed to the start.  The only marathon I've ever heard

about one that's come close to having even worse weather

ever since is an East Coast one I still remember

being reported herein by WRFB, I think.
                            I wish I'd've been there, too.

No wonder I signed up for Sunday's

Mercer Island Half Marathon.

We'll see.

ps - it's my first race registration since the Seattle Marathon

in November and going to Japan thereafter through

end-of-January.  I guess Intrepid retired?

I hope Ilene is still at it, though.

along with tselbs, rosie, amy, etc..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

One of the worst hotels I stayed in was in South Boston in the late 1980s.  There were cigarette burns on the tub and a distinct hole in the bathroom door clearly caused by a big knife.  

When I first read this, I thought it said, "There were cigarette butts in the tub."  Still bad, but that would have been worse....

I was at a conference in Columbus yesterday and today, so I was able to read about your adventures on the breaks, but didn't really have time to post.   Also, I am terrible at posting from my phone and tablet so I tend not to.

4 miles for me on the hotel TM this morning.

{{{hugs and healing vibes}}} to all the aches and pains and sinus infections and flus, etc.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Back from our trip to Texas, where we stayed in only very good to excellent hotels. Our worst in teh past was the Herkimer Motel in Herkimer, NY on the first trip my DW and I took together, shortly before we were married as I recall, so about 36 years ago. It was all we could find in the days before we made all reservations ahead (no Internet in those days) and all the hotels in our destination for the day were full. Not really super bad, but when there's a fly swatter prominently hanging on the wall, you know what you're in for! After that, our Econolodge in the Boston area seemed really plush when we got there the next day! But it's a good "our first time together in a motel" story that we still laugh about once in a while.

I didn't run at all during our travels, so it was almost two weeks off when I started out today. Actually did quite well and ran the full six miles around the lake with a friend who's good at steady pacing. I think we averaged 10:30, which is a good warmup for another outing tomorrow.

Have a good weekend, everyone, and good luck to the weekend racers!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"