Masters Running

Saturdaily, 8.11.18 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wow - a 4-pager yesterday, and some pretty funny stuff along the way - you all are amazing!

Friday's workouts:

RunnerKSA (2.5 slow post-cortisone shot TM miles)

Stumpy (slow slog evening 10K in just under 32:00)

Holly (1250 yards in the Y pool)

anneb (4.3 morning miles in 70° temps and 70° dew point)

Dave59 (4 morning miles)

Tammy (6.5 TM miles at the gym + 15 min of stretching/core)

Jlynne (4+ morning run/walk miles + 20 min of weights, core, stretching)

C-R (4.1 sauna miles on hotel TM)

Tomwhite (20 min on Precor AMT + 20 min on elliptical)

Evanflein (5.5 quasi-EZ morning miles in 50° temps)

Wildchild (5 stationary bike miles at the rec center + some weights)

Surly Bill (5 miles at 8:29 pace)

Stumpy - those dang walkers are always getting in the way! I'm glad you got hosed last night.

Holly, you never know what blood work will show till you do it - damn. Nice pool work, even without the mouthwash. Ice cream? Look at my sig.

I'd also much rather workout outside than in a hotel gym-excuse. But sometimes, there isn't really a choice. Go get 'em, C-R! 

Continued good luck with the new PT, Fatozzig.

Tet, you're not going to get your DW out of her slow and deliberate recovery, so don't even try.

Tammy, if I don't stretch after every workout, I pay the price with stiffness and muscle aches. So it's a good Pavlovian response for me.

9.6 RW miles this morning in cooler temps, 66°, but still too much muggy in the air and I felt like I was struggling the whole way. So it goes. Now we have to try to get to the farmer's market before the rain starts.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...w0w........lots of discussions yesterday,

proving,

yet again,

Runners are Very Deep and Complex people......

==========

but I digress......

40-min PoolRun with letters

hopefully

some soccerfields this afternoon..................game in progress this morning

...........Good Running to Ya.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71KdkbT7FKA

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

+1 Especially here. Such a great mixture of personalities and talents. This forum is my "go-to" for a pick-me-up and occasional belly laugh. Thanks for the friendship people - even if it's just virtual.

Jay - I've been to farmer's market this morning. This time of the year is just the best for eating! I got golden beets, cauliflower, green and wax beans, carrots, blueberries and found a stand with homemade pasta. I picked up a package of butternut squash ravioli. And - to top it off - a fresh bouquet of flowers.

Holly - I appreciate your DH is a good husband "most" of the time, but you shouldn't have to put up with that kind of verbal abuse, ever. My ex was the king of that. Some of the names and insults he used to hurl at me still hurt even though we've been divorced almost 25 years. You're too good a person to put up with that crap. Just my opinion.

Sounds like you've found a nice place to work Mike. And I hope you're doing ok these days. Did your dad want a funeral?

I wish I could do a conference call with all you folks having the same hamstring/butt issues that I have these days. And I wish I had access to better PT's and docs who understood runners with mental problems!

4 miles on the elliptical and 20 minutes of weights, core and stretching for me this morning.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

SteveP - I was running along the river today and wondering if I could let my dogs off-leash like you do with your mutts.  I think Dexter would be okay if I had a pocket full of treats and called him back when he got too far, but I am afraid my stupid Rosie would go chasing off and hop into the river chasing geese and we would both drown as I tried to save her.....

7.1 sproinkless miles in a pleasant 71 degrees.

Ladies, my ob-gyn has suggested pellet hormone therapy (they insert a pellet under your skin that delivers a smooth, even dose of hormones, which is supposed to be a more balanced approach, with less fluctuation, than the usual cream treatments).  Anyone tried it?  She is suggesting that hormone imbalance is a big reason for my fatigue.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anneb

There is a lot of good discussion on these daily threads (as a new person-I like it!)

SteveP I do love your mutt shots. Makes me a bit nostalgic for when mine was up for anything. At 15, he’s really slowed down the last 6 months or so. That dog has done SO many things though…

8.75 miles for me this morning in slightly better temps (66-77, dew point 63). Funny, it did feel better just being a tad cooler at the start. Kept the pace easy, butt just bothering me a little bit not enough to really affect anything. Hope everyone has a good Saturday.

Anne

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Forgot to mention for Jay’s benifit—during the race I saw guy do a little trot to get around some congestion and then settle into race walking mode. Told him it looked like a yellow flag to me. He looked surprised but said there may have been others in this crowd.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Great discussion, all.   Steve- terrific doggie pictures.   Anne, my 2 are 15 and really slowing down.  The big guy has a lot of trouble getting up and is getting more and more stressed by the hardwood floors.

I had a good run this morning (I don't get to say that very often anymore).  I think the steroid pack gives me a boost (just so I don't get drug tested, right?)  10.6 miles!  I planned 10 at a 12 minute pace for 2 hours, but I went a little too fast so had to add on to get to the 2 hours.  I never took the planned walking breaks, but I WILL start doing that.  Stayed mainly flat but a few small hills.  68-78 degrees and still fairly humid, but a lot of shade.   I feel good about it.  I got into the Monkey, which will be touch and go with this injury (although butt felt really very good today- cortisone shot, etc), but I'm in.  The good thing about Monkey is it really doesn't matter how fast you go- as long as you don't mind being out there a long time. 

Have a greta Saturday, y'all.  I have my grandcat here in the basement.  My daughter gets home from DC tonight but probably won't get him until tomorrow.  He's sweet, but I have enough animals of my own here.....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

pfriese

A lot going on here yesterday so I took an unscheduled rest day. This morning, I had a 12 mile humid run. Looking forward to the cool front coming thru tonight. That should make for a plesasant run tomorrow morning.

Have a great weekend.

Paul

Dave59

I woke up at Jay:O'clock, aka 4:00 AM. I tried to get back to sleep but it was no use.  So I got dressed for a run. I had to dig out my reflective vest from the back of the closet and my headlamp from a drawer. It's been a while since I ran in the dark (on streets).

I got outside and got this feeling that I don't really want to run after all. My heart was not in it. But I made it this far, I may as well do 3 heartless miles. The first mile was a mixture of walking and shuffling, but then I started feeling good and the last 2 went well.

So only 1 heartless mile, and 2 with some spronk.

It was the in-laws 65th wedding anniversary a couple days ago so we're taking them to lunch today.

Since I like my Sketcher's Go Run Ultra shoes I decided to see how Hoka One One shoes felt. I stopped by the local running store after meeting some guys for coffee this morning.Tried on a pair and bought them. I justify the expense in my head by telling myself that running is cheaper than golfing and I don't golf, so I can splurge on running shoes. I don't have to justify it, but I feel better when I do.

= Nerds.

Ever notice how most of the distance crew in college are also the ones getting academic honors?

Dave59; I'm going to be due for more shoes soon, and have been waiting patiently for some more Ultra R2 to show up at the outlet, but may have to bite the bullet and order them online for more than my self-imposed $50 limit (but not much more). I've found the Hoka outsoles to be VERY durable, and will probably get a pair of Challenger4 to replace my 3's as my main trail shoes. My Skechers ultra trail4 shoes are extremely comfortable, but run like heavy shoes, so I don't think I'll repeat those unless there's a big design change.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Henrun

2.2 cooler but still humid miles with a sprinkle at the start. Done after our weekend ritual of working on the NYT crossword. Looks like we’re getting a wet weekend.

Not much else going on except back to reading our September book club selection. They picked a 568 page tome and, since I’m a slow reader, I better get at it. Fortunately it’s a good read.

I’m also a slow typist as Surly Bill snuck in while I was typing and, yes, I’m a proud nerd.👍

Quickadder

Usual Saturday morning group run, except I was the only one to get there early. Ran almost 5 miles before the rest turned up. Lots of good conversations made the time fly by after that. My total time hit 3 hours, which equated to 16.7 warm and steamy miles. Dew point was 74 and humidity 94%, which in August only counts as warm and steamy.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Those with old doggies - Tammy's hub has a tumeric concoction he gives their doggies that I'm sharing here.  They both swear it's made a big difference, especially for Annie:

1/2 cup organic turmeric 1-1 1/2 cups water 1 1/2 tsp black pepper 1/4 cup olive oil

Mix water and turmeric in a pan to a paste mixture.

Heat on med low, stirring constantly until thick.

Remove from heat, add pepper and oil ,stir well.

Cool in glass jar with lid. Store in frig for 2-3 weeks.

I think he puts a dollop on theirfood once every other day, but I don't know how much constitutes a "dollop." You might want to confirm with Tammy. Her DH uses the mixture himself in foods.

We took Zig to the vet yesterday and confirmed he has lost 1.5 lbs in the last 6 mos.  That's a lot for a cat, especially an old guy.  He's always hungry, so she thinks it may be thyroid. Test results should come back Monday.  In the meantime, she said he can have as much canned food as he wants.  He may have actually given he a kitty "Thumbs Up" at that.  She gave us samples of some dietary canned food that so far he really likes.

Holly - I lived 24 years with The Hub being verbally abusive whenever he got drunk, which was a lot in the last few years of him being an active alcoholic.  We went to counseling together for awhile and I just dumped it all right back at him.  Told him in front of the counselor and when we would just talk on our own exactly what he would call me and say.  Thankfully, he was sufficiently mortified and humiliated, and I am so thankful all that stopped he stopped drinking. It absolutely was a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde personality. Regardless of how a person tries to ignore such comments, it's hard.  Hang in there. {{{Hugs}}}

I'm at work on Saturday, so I guess I should be working. 

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

spacityrunner

One hour of kayaking on a calm lake. Didn’t get out till almost 10 so it was hot but oh so worth it! Saw a beautiful heron, a black vulture perched high in the trees and one spider crawling on me that had me almost tipping the kayak over 

On the knee front my chiropractor is going to do some acupuncture next week then it’s no more trying to fix it till the orthopod sees it on the 4th. But dang I sure am having some fun till this thing gets resolved!!

Trails Rock!

Dave- what model of Hokas did you get?

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth