Masters Running

40s, 50s, 60s+ On the Run - w/e 12/05 (Read 663 times)

No matter how wonderful our dreams, how noble our ideals, or how high our hopes, ultimately we need courage to make them a reality. Without action, it's as if they never existed.

Jim - Thanks for all the explanations regarding your work.  It's very interesting.

Carol - Does the other pair of shoes have a higher heel back on them?  It can definitely be hard finding a pair of shoes that work with orthotics.  Are your orthos specifically made for you?

6 "easy" this morning.  Beautiful day to run, but once again I was reminded why I love to run before sunrise - too much traffic.  Had a guy get irritated me right off the bat during my warm up walk because I didn't know if there were storage units anywhere on my street.  Well, kiss my buttooty!  But then I remembered that there were some at the trailer park down the hill.  I yelled the info to him and got nary a thank you.  Butthead.

Our "neighborhood" is a strange mixture of nice homes, obvious rentals, a trailer park down the hill, huge open field across from us . . .  A working class neighborhood slowly pulling itself out of being a lower end neighborhood.  It's been nice to watch.

My Pops is coming to dinner today (late Thanksgiving), so I gotta go get some work done.  Grilled New York steaks, grilled potatoes and carrots, toasty roasted garlic bread (which I made myself . . . NOT! snork!  Aaah yeah.  That was a good one), and root beer floats for dessert.  Mmmmmm.

Later!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Thanks Leslie for the quote and Happy Thanksgiving again. I'm with Stumpy though,the leftovers are a vital part of the holiday. Pumpkin pie tastes better and better after a couple of days. Ate a lot this weekend but hey ,that's what it's for right?

Three times around the reservoir today non stop( Buddy less after taking him for 10 yesterday). IRC with a bright sky and 55*.

OK.....I'm gonna put it in action.  Thanks Leslie.

Sounds like a nice meal with your Pops. 

Nice reservoir run for you Joe.  Hows the legs feeling?  Back to normal?

Yesterday a nice 6er.  I was expecting rain so I had on my rain jacket.  The rain never came and I was a bit ovrdressed, but othr than that a really nice relaxing run.

Let's get this week started!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - loved the pics and hey, you're famous! Tough workouts and a good 5K, nice. Glad you got to spend some time with your dad, too.

Jim - I was also fascinated by the video - couldn't believe I was seeing standing corn going in and kernels coming out just like that!  Re: mileage before your run, I'd say err on the easy side, you've already done the training, you just want to keep loose and show up with fresh legs. Also be careful about eating, it's sooo easy to keep eating at your peak training levels!

Carol - you have a haunted pool to swim in!    Hope your foot issues get sorted out, do you do any barefoot walking around the house? Foot massage? Gotta take good care of the footsies, they're complicated and strong but fragile, too.

Joe - dang, you're already back up to 10 milers? Wow...

Hey to Ev and Kevin.Smart to do the driving on Thursday, Kevin!

Had a busy weekend, what with shuttling family members around, then tried to do the Christmas shopping thing, plus stuff going on at work, oh and not to mention that 18 miler. Fortunately we've had IRC, that and a little route experimentation made the 18 go by nicely. So I made my 60 mi! I guess now 50 will seem easy??? Ha.

Alright, it's crunch time at work - term papers to read, exams to write, grades to get tallied...

Arla

Ex runner

Also be careful about eating, it's sooo easy to keep eating at your peak training levels!

Alas!  This is so true, as is evidenced by my large root beer float last night.  Mmmmm!  Hadn't had one of those in ages.  Twas sooo good.

Arla - Congrats on the 60-mile week!  Yee haw!

Joe - Bettin' Buddy is a much happier pup now that he's getting to run with you again.

Ev - Nice 6-er.  I can't wear rain gear when running.  I feel like my skin is suffocating.  Even in the breathable stuff.

Rest day for me, then easy peasy miles the rest of the week.  Pops and I leave Thurs afternoon to begin the long drive to the other end of the state.  Am looking forward to seeing my aunt and uncle.  Hoping she can give me some beginner lessons on either knitting or crocheting.  I've always wanted to learn.

Have a most excellent week, friends ~

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hey there!  Greetings Everyone!

Nice quote Leslie!

Joe, I think the main reason leftovers taste better, especially pie, is because you're eating them in a more leisurely fashion than T-day...or at least I do...wander to the fridge, hmmm, pie & whipped cream...maybe w/coffee...2 hrs later, open the door again..= small turkey sandwich on dinner roll w/pickles...2 hrs later... pop a couple deviled eggs & look at the jello/fruit dessert...2 hrs later...how did I miss the cheesecake?...

Carol -  have you tried tying your shoes like this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btVx5hwf83w

Yup Ev, we shipped the rain a bit further South than we'd intended...we sure could've used some more snow up here...ski conditions are not so ideal just now...Glad you're getting some good runs in!!

Arla - Congrats on your 60 miler!!

Jim - 4 more days!! Woo-Hoo!! weather channel says 61*/42* prtly cldy

Sitting in the hotel lounge (watching an 8 yr old assault the pool table) for the first time this week whilst I wait for the next round of clients...been swamped busy!!!  Makes for a good paycheck, but nothing much else!   I also had limited computer time as mine kinda blew up last week...long & icky (but not entertaining) story that resulted in a complete clean & reload....having only Blackberry access w/limited cell coverage doesn't allow lotsa chat time Wink

Just to clarify, Mairead runs w/both Doug & I pretty regularly, so she ramps up the mileage beside us most times...but not 100% of the time...& I make sure she eats a high quality/protein rich breeders food + I've been giving her that GoDog stuff that Leslie recommended. Vet's pretty okay w/all of this (he's a dog runner too)  we've had to have a coupla injury layoffs - one, we got tangled & I stepped on her foot pretty hard, . another, I'm not sure what the aches were, but we let her have some rest days...most recently, Doug jumped a patch of ice that she fell on - now is limping so we'll leave her to easy walks till that goes away plus a few days...I still have a chubby Misty who needs some miles! (we both need to lose a few lbs!)

Well, off I go again...will check in as I can!

Great running, riding, swimming everybody!!

Cindy

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

{{Aaah!  Poor Mairead!  Healing hugs}}

Cindy, Doug, Jim, and Lynda - What happens in Vegas . . . well, it at least better be shared with us.

PS - Re the 8 yo assaulting the pool table.  I'd probably be assaulting the 8 yo.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Cindy, Doug, Jim, and Lynda - What happens in Vegas . . . well, it at least better be shared with us.

There are some things even I don't want need to know! 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

There are some things even I don't want need to know! 

Hmmm - This is true.  Okay - pick your "sharing" carefully.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

National Finals Rodeo 5 rows above the Bulldogging Box fri Dec 4, we are so there!!!  

Hows that for sharing??                     Think 50 yard line super bowl seats. Woo Hoo

I guess I was above 30 mpwk again last wk, after looking at my Garmin log, maybe a little strong. Jonathan told me 1/3 to 1/2 mileage evryothr day,  and 2 short tempos for the week starting in the morning next tempo sat.

Arla congrats on getting 60, nice job!!

Ya holding down the eating/ red wine during taper calories is gonna be really tough.

Cindy ........4 days....Woo Hoo, what else can I say!! 

MTA 3 very easy miles with short pickup in IRC. Cool morning as we had a light refraction (a mirage like phenom) that happens here in the fall quite often, You can see way beyond what is normally possible with the curvature of the earth.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Cool morning as we had a light refraction (a mirage like phenom) that happens here in the fall quite often, You can see way beyond what is normally possible with the curvature of the earth.

That sounds awesome....I've never heard or experienced that.  And what was that about driving 3 miles in a shortbed pickup?

flatland mountaineer

And what was that about driving 3 miles in a shortbed pickup?

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Vegas, baby!!  

Glad Jim & Lynda scored some good "show" tickets Smile.  Not sure what a bulldogging box is, but it sounds like a good place to be.  No point in second guessing your taper.  It's in the bag, so now it's time to just ride the wave Smile

Cindy, you and Doug are there for the race too, right?, or did I dream that up?  Hope Maired is back on all paws soon.  I'm going to try the "heel lock" lacing. That looks like it just might be the answer.  Thank you!

Arla, ick, term papers, grading, ick!  Isn't that what grad students, TA's, etc are for?  Great going on your 60 mile week!  You are running further than I drive most weeks.  The barefoot thing makes sense to me, and I ran around the house much of the summer in flip flops and barefoot.  But of course my (traditional) podiatrist says that's the worst thing.  I have a tear in a very specific spot in the middle PF of the right foot, as opposed to the more generalized tearing of normal PF.  Until that heals up, I'm taking his advice to "rest" it w/ more support from the orthotics.  Then may try some strengthening. 

Joe, glad you and Buddy had some IRC!

Ev, all decked out in rain gear and no rain to run in.  Oh well, sounds like you made the best of it! 

Oooh, Leslie, it's your 50K coming up this weekend!  I almost missed that!  Sounds like a good time w/ your dad and aunt and uncle too.  I think that knitting/crocheting stuff can be addictive, so watch out!

Had a nice 3 miler + some pushups/situps, etc. on the park bench yesterday.  Definitely IRC here too (40ish with no wind)!  Going to loosely follow the sprint tri program I used last time.  Except this time, I can actually do the recommended swim distances (starts at 1000 yards), and will probably do more running and less biking if my foot holds up.  Aiming for the St. Patty's Day Tri...first one of the season here.  Maintained the 1.5 lb weight loss over the holiday, and getting back to watching the calories to drop more.

Hey to Stumpy, Kelly, and anyone else I've missed. 

Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

Yep, we're in the race too....still signed up for the 'longer version'  of the block party ...& with our, *ahem* rather shoddy Fall training...thinking that there will mostly likely be no "racing" to this one... I finally have a coupla days off before we head out (one more short shift) so will be resting up mixed w/some light "keeping things loose" runs.

Carol - my inpression on PF is that strengthening & stretching the calves is also very beneficial....had a client this week that I did some hot stone/deep work & she walked away delighted.  I think most "traditional" podiatrists advocate against barefootedness (hard to sell inserts! )  but my thoughts are, that shoes impede the development/maintenance of strong foot/ankle muscles.  I can't think of any barefooters who suffer from PF...

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

I can't think of any barefooters who suffer from PF...

Funny thing about my experience with PF. When I was getting close to marathon time, I let up on the barefooting a bit.Partly because it was getting cold (and accorns hurt) partly because I was getting close to race time. My PF during this time got worse. It is a mild version though,I mostly feel it during the first steps after sleeping or sitting for a long time. Rarely if ever while running. Here's the odd thing though. I ran hard during the last marathon and had some typical soreness following it. Tight quads and such but after a couple of days I realized that my PF was completely gone! Holy cow,how did that happen? Then after a couple of rest days ,it returned?!? Now it's back to where it was and I have not been barefooting. Please splain that one to me Lucy.

Jim- we get refraction like that over the water in the winter.Something about bending light waves?

Cindy- Glad you'll get some vacation time before ski season.

Arla- WTG on 60 miles! That's a lot!

Ev- how's your Son doing?Healing up ok?

Carol- Good going on the weight loss,especially through Thanksgiving!

Leslie- those rest days sure must feel good with all your mileage!

Hiya to everyone!