Masters Running

Sunday Daily a.k.a. Hurricane Alert Day 10/28 (Read 370 times)

I figured I better get on here before my power went bye-bye for the next few days.  My DW is making plans to camp out in NYC where the power should remain on.  I will hold down the fort so to speak unless it looks like we will be out for a long time.  Then, to mix metaphors, I will abandon ship.  As to running I tried again today.  So far so good but we will see.  I am totally out of aerobic shape however.  My DW just left on a 4 mile run.  She, in contrast, is in fine running shape!

I thought some of you might get a kick out of some pictures of my Department 56 Halloween village.  Every year I add a house or character or two.  Over time it has grown into a pretty big city!  Here are some shots.  From left to right:

Left side of the village.

Middle of the village.

Right side of the village.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Is everybody hiding in the storm cellar? 

Good luck Twocat and all the other East coasters.

Feeling the storm effects here in Eastern Ohio also, 7.3 soggy miles this morning @ 42F

Oh! did the coffee and hot shower feel sooo goood !!! 

Enjoy! 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Tramps

Twocat--best of luck with Sandy.

Carolyn--I think I saw your sister.  She was the one with a drink in her hand, right?

Tramps, Kermit Ruffins, is fabolous! He is new to me!!! Did you and tribee dance to his music?

Of course we danced!  Well, as much as you can in a crowded bar with drinks in your hand. Wink 

Kermit's best known as a co-founder of the Rebirth Brass Band, some 25 years ago.  He went solo but still plays and records with them often.  Rebirth's evolved to include much more hip-hop and funk with their jazz.  (We got to see them too this week.  Excellent!)  Kermit's kept more of the traditional jazz influence in his eclectic repertoire.  Kermit also makes occasional--and usually funny--appearances as himself on the  HBO series, Treme, so my sense is he's picked up a bit of celebrity beyond the usual jazz fan circles. (Here's an extended scene with him  filmed on Frenchman Street that gives you a good sense of the flavor of the place.) He did a great extended version of the John Boutee tune used as the theme song of Treme, mixing it up with Stevie Wonder's "I Wish." 

Oh yeah, running.....A short 5-miler under ominous storm clouds and creepy warm, gusty winds.  It's gonna be a long week. 

"They call it stormy Monday, but Tuesday's just as bad..."

Be safe. Be kind.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Hi TwoCat!
          Hi Sarge!

Pretty soggy here in SEVA, too.

No run. Butt. I danced a whole lot at the Halloween Party last night! My right butt hurts. Uh oh. Dancing injury? The theme of the party was "We Didn't Start the Fire". The invitation contained the lyrics. I went as Sally Ride. Ralph went as Einstein. He looked great. 

It is windy here, too. I like hearing the front porch chimes singing in the wind.

I think 2Cat will get worse weather than we will here.

Hey Sarge. I am going to be visiting NE Ohio in a few weeks. Thinking about running a 5K at Kent. (5K Flash Dash).

MTA: Nice display, TC! I love the details. Great photos.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

King of PhotoShop

Byoorl, I loved the Einstein pic of Ralph.

Paavo, the beans were a winner. I am going to make another batch and add a beaten egg white, tsp of sugar and more cayenne, then roast them a bit longer, making them somewhat more like "Beer Nuts" if anyone remembers them.

Bad weather in Ohio?  Ah no. I have to work in Columbus this week. I'll be happy to say good-bye to it when I'm done.

3 slow recovery miles this morning.  Spareribs

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Oh yes! I forgot to say that, I too, made the roasted chick peas! Love them. They remind me of "Corn Nuts".  I think I will try Ribs tweaks. Also, I would like to try the sweet version since the savory one is so delicious.  Anyone know how I could create a "kettle corn" type of flavor?

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - I love the display!

Ribs - too bad you didn't come to Ohio last week - the weather was beautiful.  Now the blustery fall weather begins in earnest....

6 miles for me this morning on the TM watching my first installment of Downton Abbey.  I do believe I am hooked...

The party went well last night, we played Halloween Pictionary, Halloween Trivia, 2 truths and 1 Lie, and had lots of good food and wine.  I posted pics on FB if anyone wants to see our costumes....

Good luck, East Coasters!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hi Holly <(thanks>>> and everyone, especially running scared from the hurricane.. I did it in the Run Scared 5K Fun Run. ............¶................ . However, instead of listening to ilene who ran her Sunday marathon at the beginning of the month the day after her Saturday 5K fun run, it wasn’t much fun for me taking 38 minutes for today’s Run Scared 5K fun run the day after plowing out 50K in the Carkeek 12-hour Run, . . . except for meeting four bumble bee girls from triathlon days and joining my long time IM mentor’s GF, Duathlon Sylvia in getting blue ribbons for first places in our respective gender AG’s. ............¶................ It’s also somewhat of a PR in getting PR’s in opposite land in two different distances on consecutive days. No wonder I love running so much. . ............¶................ ps - don’t tell anyone that, because Seattle’s main Halloween Pumpkin Push Fun Run was yesterday, Sylvia and I were the only ones in our AG’s. We still just as happy. . . ............¶................ pps - I got a red ribbon too for 2nd place out-of-two in the men’s barefoot division, the first time they’ve had one in this event. .</(thanks>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Twocat,  what a great display you have there! Great photos btw. Your village is huge! No wonder it takes you hours to put up and put down the display. Thanks for the pictures.

Ribs, your idea for the ckic paavos roasted  chickpeas is a good one. I will definitely must try it.

No news from Jay, yet? I wonder how he did in his HM.

Tramps, dude you sure know your jazz. Thanks for the link. I shall cook this afternoon listening to more of my new found jazz player. Thanks!

Tetsujin, you ran a 50k yesterday and then raced a 5k and took second in AG???...Surprised. Are you preparing for a 50 miler or something?

{{{{East Coast of this lovely USA}}}} Be safe my East Coast friends! Please keep us posted how you are doing, whenever possible.

Today was an 18 miler. I ran the first 9 miles in the rain, and the last 9 against the wind.Black eye. I got home and treated myself with my favorite cold weather post long run food: ramen noodle soup....yumiee.

Not it is time for a shower, then a nap.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Howdy!

Twocat, great shots of that amazing 'village!' Be safe, wherever you wind up.

Tet- congrats on the AG hardware and unusual PR!

I left at 5:30 to meet friend Don to drive up to North Conway, NH for the White Mountain Miler's Half Marathon. Don was running, and I was racewalking. The weather was just about IRC - 53, overcast, with not too much of a breeze. But it was a bit damp, so it felt cooler than it was. This was a new course for this race this year - a loop instead of out-and-back, and with a couple of more hills added. FR: blue shorts, white Harvest Half shirt (with the orange maple leave on it), Mizuno Musha, and a teal cap. My goals were A) to finish, B) to finish in under 2:25, and C) to finish in under 2:20. Well, what happened is that I was undertrained and just getting over my cold, I went out too fast, and I couldn't sustain my pace past mile 9. My right hamstring started to cramp just a little at mile 12, just before the last short & steep uphill, and I had no choice but to back off a schooch till I reached the crest. I hammered from there to the finish as best I could. Because I got in a good first half+, I was able to hold on for a 2:24:24 finish (11:02 pace), and was the first racewalker overall. It was nice to see some racewalkers who I hadn't seen in a while, and to help a couple of them celebrate the awards they earned too. Don also won an AG award, so it was a good day all around. Now, I'm going to do a little storm prep, and then take the rest of the day off.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

room temperature

1000 yards of swimming!  Yep! I decided if I can dance the night away, I can definitely swim. So I went swimming just to test the shoulder and it worked.

20 laps in 33 minutes. Then I soaked in the hot tub or whirlpool or whatever that swirly hot water is called.

NASA called and said essential personnel only. Closed today and through Monday. Also, our school district called off school for tomorrow.
                        No wind yet, just a ton of rain.  

buehrle sounds like what is going on around my town.

A minor update for those that might be curious.  My town and all of the surrounding ones have ordered a mandatory evacuation of all low lying areas.  My DW bagged going into NYC when they announced the end of all public transportation starting at 7pm tonight (buses at 9pm), including the commuter lines in and out of the city to our town.  I just received word that all classes at my school are cancelled tomorrow and that all non-essential staff should stay away.  That is truly stunning!  It has never happened during my tenure and that period has included all sorts of severe storms!  As to my house we are well above sea level so the floods will not get to us.  The only real, and likely problem, will be losing our power.  But that is a minor problem all things considered.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...tet's

the only Runner I know

who can do Back to Back Races and STILL pick up women.

========

I got Nothin'

.......apparently

little fat bicycles are good for riding in snow.....which is sort of what I was looking for

.....thanls slo////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I hope our east coast people are all ok and stay that way.  Tammy, congrats to your son on his 5K PR and 2nd in AG.  Also, good job in your half.  Jay, it sounds like you did a great job in putting on your race.  steve, nice 5K with Noah and Tag.  The pictures are great.  tet, I'm not sure I followed everything but it sounded like 2 marathons and a 5K.  Whatever you did, good job.  Twocat, that's an impressive halloween city.  Jay nice half.

Nice long runs for wild and mari.

This morning, it was in the high 30s and there was some wind.  I got in 3 miles at a 10:27 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

aka FlyingFinn

Congrats on the awards tet and Jay!

I like the egg white idea Spareribs. I'll try that when I make the sweet version next.

I planned a short run today and decided to just stay inside; 3 miles on the belt to nowhere. Our cat tried to get on board behind me. He didn’t stay on very long.

DS came over this afternoon to practice fencing because tomorrow is bout night. We’re getting excited.

Stay safe (((East Coast))).

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver