Masters Running

Palo Duro trail run Race report (a Tribute to Red Spicer) (Read 337 times)

Maniac 505

A great weekend, but sometimes emotionally touching. I never had the pleasure of Meeting Red Spicer, but This past weekend I felt like I knew him http://www.amarillo.com/stories/082908/new_11115900.shtml Red was the long time race director of this race, his daughter said he wanted to see it run for 25 years, He saw 23. This, the 24th running, was the biggest in the number of participants, they had to limit participation, and they pretty much maxed out available resources. Intrepid said Arf was running 50 miles, and me 50K, we both backed off due to lack of training and injury recovery. Arf ran 50K, and I ran 20K the 50K was 2 1/4 loops of the trail, 20K was one full loop the race was in the floor of the Palo Duro canyon in the Texas Panhandle. This is second biggest canyon in the US. It was really beautiful. the trails were technical enough to make you pay attention. there were enough ups and downs to keep it interesting there are a lot of pictures of the canyons here http://www.palodurocanyon.com/tour.php?searchterm=&offset=0 a week ago they had a lot of rain and flooding, there were a couple places in to the canyon where the road was still a little underwater. You could certainly see nature at work. There were still a few places in the trail that were a little muddy, but since the 50 mile and 50K racers started 1/2 hour before the 20K racers (Arf started in the dark) most of the muddy sections were pretty much packed down by the time I got there. the day started cold and clear, I regretted not bringing my gloves, and I was really grateful we went to Walmart the day before the race and got throw away sweatshirts, I kept it on for about the first 9 miles, by the time Arf finished her first lap it was probably a sunny 70, the day peaked atabout to 80. the new RD wanted Red on the trail with us, so the trail was littered with Red witticisms, "I learned two things in life, there is a God, It is NOT me" "there is always time for fine wine, women, and to pig out on Pizza" reasonable entry fee, Pasta feed for runners before the race, BBQ for everyone after the race, it seemed they were feeding everyone staying in the park, runners and family. After the race, we drove to one of the aid stations to pick up the flashlight that Arf dropped off, Red's daughter was working that station. She said Red wanted the race to run for 25 years, they will do next year in His honor, after that, they don't know. If you can find your way to Amarillo, and you enjoy trail runs, I would suggest you put this on your calendar
    evanflein

You guys both finished in good shape I assume? Sounds like a beautiful area... never been to that part of the country. Backing down on your distances was probably a good idea; hope you held up and are feeling good now. This is the sort of race that could change it's name to a memorial run for Red and keep going for years! Love the comments along the trail. Thanks for sharing and say hi to Arf for me!!
        Hey Dave - Thanks for sharing. How'd the race treat you? The pics are beautiful, and I love the fact that they sprinkled the trail with Red remarks. Very cool.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Maniac 505

Arf and I both finished in good shape, My heel feels great, very minor sprain of my ankle, nothing that makes me limp or slows me down. Leslie, read your Bizz Johnson RR last night, way to tough it out! Arf and I ran that one last year, not nearly as cold as it was for you, but it was awfully chilly at the start.
          xor

Hi Dave. I lived down the road from Palo Duro Canyon for 9 years... been there many, many times. Sounds like you had a fairly typical day there weather-wise, though in October it can do just about anything. Hope C-arf liked it too!

Confused Arf cut down to run 32 miles due to injury recovery and lack of training. That Arf, she looks like a beauty queen, but she's beast on the inside. Wow Shocked And you, Sir Dave, not too shabby either. But do please 'splain about the "minor" ankle sprain. Are you sure it's ok? Sounds like a race with a heart; no wonder you and Arf found it to be a match. grins and good running! A
              Masters 2000 miles
              wildchild

Carolyn

I loved this quote from the website you linked to: Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos." Sounds like a beautiful canyon - I always thought of Amarillo as flat and boring! Glad you and Arf had good races.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

coastwalker

Hi Dave, It sounds like a fantastic race, started by a true character who will be missed, but not forgotten for a long, long time. It sounds like Red rubbed off on you a bit in a good way. Most people would back off a bit more than to a 50k or 20K trail run if they were under-trained and injured - you and Arf are amazing! It'll be interesting to see what happens to the race after the 25th running. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos." I LOVE that! Smile Good to hear you and Arf are running well, Divechief, and this sounds like such a lovely race locale. I'm a big believer in throwaway starting clothes, although I usually get mine at a Goodwill.... Smile Good job, and thanks for a great report!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Nice going both of you, and glad your injury is healing up okay. Many of my friends from my club ran this race. They would have had on their "RAW" gear. Did you meet up with any Texans? Spareribs

Maniac 505

Here are a few pictures of the weekend, I have a closet full of goodwill throwaways, I just didn't bring any, the $10 walmart sweatshirt was a really good investment, SR, didn't know you lived there, what a beautiful area, but if the race had been the week before, it probably would have been canceled. Ribs, I did see some of the RAW shirts, didn't talk to any of them, Sad Amy, the ankle is nothing, a little sore to the touch, swollen more than I would have thought, but it doesn't hurt to walk or run on it, I'm not worried about it at all. now, on to the pictures This is the canyon from the top, the race is in the floor Here is a runner who needs to figure out how to carry more stuff, They did suggest carrying a water bottle, afterall, it was up to 3 miles between aid stations Here is Arf after about 30K and at the finish and here are a couple of pictures of us after the race
                        Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Nice pictures and nice RR. I'm sorry I won't get to meet you at SM, maybe the Resolution Run on the 1st of the year? Francesca
                            Lovely pictures!! What a beautiful place to run. Glad the heel and ankle are doing well! You'll be at Seattle Marathon this year?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dive - there’s not much better proof of your patient recovery than bein’ able to hit the trails for 20K. Sounds like it’s suiting you fine. However, hope your schedules permit some reconsideration of the more local PNW events though or are you guys chippin’ away at a 50 states or something?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Top 'O the World!

Just Beautiful! and you guys look so fresh @ the end! Surprised
                                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group