Masters Running

40's + on the Run w/e 3/14/09 (Read 397 times)

flatland mountaineer

>Insert motivational quote here< got back out today the first time since mr crud stood on my chest. we had 74 degree temps on thursday but woke up to an inch on snow and 16 degrees today. it was warming up pretty quick when i took off and got in 4 slow miles on a snow cushioned gravel road. coughed a little until i warmed up then was ok until i stopped and although feeling sluggish it was good to be back. :) last week was a wild one on the farm hoping this one will be a little calmer here and that you all have a super week!! got="" back="" out="" today="" the="" first="" time="" since="" mr="" crud="" stood="" on="" my="" chest.="" we="" had="" 74="" degree="" temps="" on="" thursday="" but="" woke="" up="" to="" an="" inch="" on="" snow="" and="" 16="" degrees="" today.="" it="" was="" warming="" up="" pretty="" quick="" when="" i="" took="" off="" and="" got="" in="" 4="" slow="" miles="" on="" a="" snow="" cushioned="" gravel="" road.="" coughed="" a="" little="" until="" i="" warmed="" up="" then="" was="" ok="" until="" i="" stopped="" and="" although="" feeling="" sluggish="" it="" was="" good="" to="" be="" back.="" :)="" last="" week="" was="" a="" wild="" one="" on="" the="" farm="" hoping="" this="" one="" will="" be="" a="" little="" calmer="" here="" and="" that="" you="" all="" have="" a="" super=""></ got back out today the first time since mr crud stood on my chest. we had 74 degree temps on thursday but woke up to an inch on snow and 16 degrees today. it was warming up pretty quick when i took off and got in 4 slow miles on a snow cushioned gravel road. coughed a little until i warmed up then was ok until i stopped and although feeling sluggish it was good to be back. :) last week was a wild one on the farm hoping this one will be a little calmer here and that you all have a super week!!>

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

>Insert motivational quote here<>
      Ok ,here's one I like - We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities. Ralph Waldo Emerson I have the opposite problem here Jim. We had a low of 11* on this past Weds, but today's run was in 63* ! Hey, I'm not complaining about it mind you,just rather abrupt . Been very busy at work (good thing),computers still break in any economy. But I have been working an earlier shift and don't actually have computer access all day. Get home,run,spend some family time w DW and kids and early to bed. Also,kid #3 has been accepted to some colleges ,so we've been filling out all kinds of stuff.Moral of the story, I have had a lot less computer time lately. Anyway, some good runs,rests, races and recoveries going on here as I see. Hi to all who are around! Went out to do a 22.5 miler today and messed it up.Told myself to go slow,but went by feel and bonked out. Had to walk another 3m to get to the car. Rather than a slow one at that distance, I did a 19.45m @ 9:29, a full minute per mile faster than I was suppose to.Whew, just got caught up in the sudden spring fever, I guess. Here's to a Great Week!! Smile ps- Do we have spellcheck now?!?! WEEEHAAA!!!!!!

Jim...glad to here you're feeling better and out for a run. Joe...."The world is all gates, all opportunities." That's some good stuff right there, I tell you what. I keep a close eye on your log.....you're really running strong. Hello to the othrs out there. 16 miles for me today. Had 18 planned, but after picking up the pace at mile 12-15, I couldn't finish the run. Or maybe I should say I finished the run at 16. Smile
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - nice recovery run from that crud, in cold temps! Leslie - sounds like you're pretty much back at it there...when you say your tummy bothers you, is that a recovery from stitches thing or still the GI tract getting used to the new you? Joe and Ev - nice long runs there, I hear you on sometimes going out too fast and finding some limits...walking home is still miles. I ran the Bidwell HM in Chico yesterday, and posted a race report under "racing". Bottom line: nice race in a cute, small college town that was dead flat and pretty - good for PRs! Arla

Ex runner

Hey All - I have the weird dark blue background on my desktop at home. Confused No amount of refreshing fixes it. Oh well, just looks strange. Joe and Ev - Very nice runs for the two of you. FJ - Glad Mr. Crud is finally leaving. You know what they say about company and fish . . . . Arla - Chico is a great little town, isn't it? If you've never taken the Bidwell Mansion tour, give it a go sometime. It's small, but pretty cool. There's a BBQ place in Chico that is to die for! It's in that downtown area, but I couldn't tell you what street or the name. I always find it by smell. Smile And your question re my tummy, it's both. My GI tract is having to get used to the changes, which is causing nausea, depending on what I eat, and the muscles around the belly button area - which is the biggest incision spot - can still be pretty sore . . . which leads me to my stupidity story of the weekend. Ran trails Saturday and had a good time, although I knew I was going to be sore. Went to Arts Alive! Saturday night, had a couple too many drinks (which, for me is, like, 3) and ended up on the dance floor at a bar. Dumb, dumb, dumb. The ole navel area was really sore yesterday, and still is this a.m., so I'm gonna see how I feel after work re running. It's a painful sore, not a happy sore like when you have a really great workout. Roll eyes Oh well! And yes, this weather is weird! Beautiful day Saturday, until around 3:00, then the clouds and wind moved in. Yesterday, we had on again off again rain and hail with sunshine. This morning, it was about 27 degrees when I peeked at the thermometer on the window. Mother Nature must be going through major menopause this year, 'cause she's unleashed some strange activity.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

saltyd

Hi All, Well I got out yesterday for a 5 mile slow and easy. It was a nice day. I felt good about it, but my legs were a little sore from doing some much needed weeding in the front yard. (Before the HOA send s one of their nasty-grams) I felt it especially the first mile or so. Jim - glad your getting over the crud. Leslie - good to hear your enjoying the trails again...I'm envious...but will definitely enjoy the Napa Trail 10K in 2 weeks. Arla - congrats on the Bidwell HM, I've heard Chico is a cute town, but never been there. It's supposed to get back up to the low 80's this week, so I get to enjoy more beautiful VW Bug Convertible weather here. My SO and I worked on cleaning up the rust and crud on the bumper we had purchased for it. It's 1977 VW Bug Convertible that is so fun to drive, but needs some fixing up. Right now the windows don't seal enough to drive in rainy weather, but it doesn't rain much here, so it works out. I hope everyone has a safe, fun week. Salty
              Saltyd Life isn’t about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.
                Thanks for the start Jim! Returning from illness to 16 degree temps....you must have really wanted to run. Hope the crud stays far, far away from you guys. Hard having that with a job like yours where you can't really call in sick. Joe, like that quote. This IS still the land of opportunty, and we and the coming generation need to remember that. Glad your job is relatively recession proof. Accounting is kind of like that too, though major shrinkage can impact any of us. My husband works for an airline, and it's been pretty amazing that they have been weathering the storm pretty well. Ev (and Joe), you guys are posting some awesome miles. As for the pacing issues, that's what training is for, right? A cut short run to you guys is still an unfathomable distance to me. You've come a long way, and every run is one of those gates of opportunity that you are choosing to walk through. Arla, your race sounds awesome all the way around. Nice realization you had mid-way through. You've logged the miles, and are reaping the rewards. Cool! Leslie, ahem...are we going to have to tell your doctor that you are risking his/her handiwork? Seriously, please be careful. Only one you...and we like you Smile. Salty, that bug sounds like a blast! Nice cross training there too Wink. As for HOA's, somehow we escape having on. Kind of like it that way, although they can come in handy when negotiating on things. Crud is descending on my throat here. Hoping it's not too bad. Got out for 8 miles with my friend on Sat, and about 4 hours of house cleaning is all I had in me yesterday. First weight watchers weigh in tonight. Regardless of what the scale says, I can already tell a diff in how my jeans fit. But must admit I'm curious. Our scale at home is not trustworthy, but shows me a few pounds down, so we'll see. May get out for a few miles at lunctime if I'm still feeling decent sans the throat. Hey and happy runs, rests, and such to all!
                Progress Trumps Pefection
                  Good morning 40's..... Nice runs for everyone! Super nice run for you Joe even though you went out too fast! Jim, glad your crud has moved on but I think it moved on over to Carol! Read your RR Arla, sounded like the perfect small race! Congrats again.... 3 mid-terms down, 1 to go.....tomorrow evening. Hoping to either get to the gym or go for a short run this afternoon! Will check in later. Enjoy your Tuesday, Jewels
                  But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                    Hey Jewels, good luck on those mid-terms. Nope, scratch the luck, it's like Arla's race. I'm betting you've put in the work, not time to show your stuff on those tests Smile. Good job on getting to the gym. Lost 2 lbs last week, woohooo!! Maybe there is hope for me sheding those unwanted pounds. Started off to run yesterday, but opted to just walk a couple miles w/ Katy since this cold is sapping my energy and I need to get well for our upcoming trip to San Fran. I love running along the Embarcadero in the morning whilst enjoying all the sights and sounds of the waterfront. Anyone ever done either of these races? Sent them off to my friend who did that Cowtown half w/ me. Maybe a nice way to combine a race w/ a vacation. They both sound fun in their own ways. http://www.runhealdsburg.com/Welcome.htm http://www.brycecanyonhalfmarathon.com/
                    Progress Trumps Pefection

Queen of 3rd Place

Carol - I did Healdsburg last year, the first year of the event. The Good: awesome course, really beautiful. The only hill of any consequence (and it's minor) is near the beginning. Around mile 6 one of the wineries put out little thimblefuls of cold white wine, and spoons of honey. Before I got there, I thought, "ick", but it was wonderful and refreshing. The run ends in a park where there's a wine festival just for the runners. Again, before I got there, I thought, "ick". Turned out I had a blast! Transportation to the start and from the finish were great. Healdsburg is a cute town with a lovely center square and more restaurants than you could sample in a week or two. There are some downtown wineries pouring their stuff. The Bad: expensive to stay in Healdsburg - but do spring for staying downtown. Then you can walk (and sample wines!). The Ugly: race organization was dismal, the start was a fiasco. Don't try for the starting line pickup - even though it cost extra do have race day packet pickup, there was no one there! This ended up with a scramble for bibs at the start time, and a delay of start. Arla

Ex runner

Morning, Folks! It's been go, go, go since I got in the office this a.m. What gives?!? Wink Carol - Healdsburg - and the entire Napa Valley - is a beautiful area. My brother lives in Healdsburg, and I live about 4 hours north. Arla is right, however, in that it's a pricey place. If you do decide to come out, be sure to make reservations at any of the special restaurants, especially for that weekend, no matter where you decide to stay in the Napa Valley area. There are an abundance of fantastic places to eat, but it'll be hard to walk in off the street. Just a short ways north of Healdsburg in St. Helena there's a culinary academy. Again, reservations highly recommended. Re Bryce Canyon - never done the race, but been to the Canyon and is absolutely stunning! Did a 5-mile run this a.m. with 5 steep hill repeats. The almost full moon was sitting right smack in the middle of the road at the top of the hill like a big ole flashlight. It actually made seeing the road kind of hard, it was so bright! Av Pace/Best/HR 1. 10:00/8:21/145 2. 10:10/8:48/157 3. 9:50/8:19/154 (started 5 hill repeats at Mile 3.52) 4. 11:40/8:51/148 (ended hill repeats around Mile 4) 5. 11:08/8:31/154 6. 10:09/9:00/156 (.25 miles) With my new training program, I'll be doing a whole lot more mileage with my LR on Saturdays, and decided that my other "LR" of 10 miles needed to be on the trails as well, so that will be on Sunday as opposed to Friday on the pavement. I have yet to tell The Hub that our only day together (Sunday) will be started with me running for a couple of hours in the a.m. That should endear him even more to this adventure of mine. Roll eyes Oh well, during football season he won't care so long as nothing interferes with that. Smile

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hey Everybody!!!! Happy Spring Break!! Cool (why, oh why do not all colleges "break" during the same week!?).....mebbe cause it's better to spread out the party over three weeks+ time?!.....right after Mardi Gras!! Big grin Just popping my nose in real quick btwn stuff...not getting much computer time either Joe...spent my "allotted time" yesterday trying to figure out how to download Garmin stuff to the training log ?! Confused didn't get it, now don't have time - not that it matters much as most of the runs I'm managing are sans Garmin anyway...I keep leaving it at the house I'm not at! Roll eyes or, can't use it @ the Rec Ctr - & I don't have the foot pod thingy to make it talk to me indoors....most days, I have just a "regular" watch & try to guesstimate the distance by time/pace feel...think I'm fairly close....most of the time.... Doug & I have been trying to get together for Sunday longer runs again....back to: "he runs faster, I run further" kinda thing (again, mostly) when again, this Sunday didn't go so well, we got to chatting about what a big day Saturday is - workwise & otherwise - for both of us, & since changes in the economy/company are forcing him to also take most Mondays off, we're thinking that maybe we should kick around on Sunday & do our longer run on Monday. Looks good on paper anyway! The truth is, neither of us usually take a full on rest day! too much work to do!! Maybe we can control a non-job day a little better.....? (anybody out there believe that!?) We did pull some training plans off of RW Smart Coach (?) & spent some time over post-run beers trying to figure out a fit to our crazy life schedule.....best we can both do is target a long run day & get what we can the rest of the time.... side note: had to open a "new" (separate) acct @ the bank and they are giving out 1GB Ipod shuffles as "incentives" ....anyway, had Doug program it from his little library of 10,154 songs....think I'll like the size better than my classic ...(keep seeing them clipped on running visors/hats) Carol: I remember Arla doing Healdburg last year... Cool Wink good times! & Bryce would possibly be doable for me in July.... if you decide on that one Wink Ciao!! Cindy
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                          xor

Ah yes. The Wine Country (Half) Marathon. Not to be confused with The Wine Country (Half) Marathon. I'm still trying to figure all that out.

Hey SRL - How's Tobias the Wonder Dog these days? And regarding The Wine Country (Half) Marathon and The Wine Country (Half) Marathon - consider where it's taking place. Too much sampling of the goods, I'd say.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

xor

Tobias is a pistol. He's doing ok.