Masters Running

Fridaily, 11.8.19 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Very busy day today: I'm formatting and printing rosters for packet pickup for Sunday's Seacoast Half, as well as responding to all kinds of last-minute email requests and queries. We also have our wrap-up for the Great Bay 5K from a couple of weeks ago at mid-day today. And I have some last-minute prep to do for tomorrow's guest-hosted racewalking clinic - and we're taking the guest instructor and her DH out to dinner tonight.

I got out for 5.9 (I know) RW miles early this morning in 32° with windage. For some reason, both ankles were sore, so I went pretty easy, and now have a soft brace on the ankle that often flares up in the hopes that it'll calm back down today.

Have a greta Friday & weekend!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Morning folks.

Congratulations to your kids on the proposals, KSA and BTY.

19 degrees here this morning - brrrrr.  I stayed on the TM, because I haven't gotten out my winter running stuff yet - time to do that this weekend.  I did a walk/run thing, that was mostly walking with short spurts of slowish running (10:42), carefully keeping my right elbow tucked at my side, my hand resting on my tummy, to keep my right shoulder fairly immobilized.  4 miles total.

I may try outside tomorrow, but I'm not sure how to dress for mostly walking/some running.  Maybe just an extra layer on top.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anneb

Morning, all. 

The word for the day is cold. I was not expecting 17, and it felt even colder with the wind. I was dressed fine, but cut the run short anyways. 4.6 miles felt like enough. It was just … cold. 

Holly, I’ve been doing a 7/1 run/walk just recently and even today I didn’t find that the minute of walking really makes a difference in what I need to wear. It is still mostly running. 

TGIF!

Anne

Thanks, Jay.      It was cold here this morning but nothing like Chicago!  29 but with a bit of a wind.  I could have gone outside and I had planned to, but I just couldn't face it.  3.6 treadmill miles watching TV instead.  We are about to have our big building-wide (900 people or so) quarterly meeting where we will announce the Dress for your Day and some Flextime options, which should be quite exciting.  It has leaked a little bit, which is to be expected, even though management was sworn to secrecy.  Welcome to corporate America.

Have a greta Friday!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Rest day for me.

I was ordering TV and phone service for my mother-in-law to have at her new place. (I was doing this because Cindy asked me to.) I got through the whole order and on the last screen there was a problem and it told me to call a number. I called the number and the guy starts asking me about other services which I was politely declining, when Cindy was just about to speak up.  I could hear take in a deep breath. I sensed she was getting frustrated with the questions and she was going to emphasize that we didn't want anything else.  I reflexively waved my hand in front of her to stop her because I didn't want to confuse the guy with a second voice on the phone.

I think Cindy is unhappy with me. It turns out that waving your hand in someone's face to stop them from talking isn't a nice thing to do. Who knew? 

I apologized and then a friend of hers showed up at the door. So, maybe she won't remember any of this later.

MTA: Turns out I misread Cindy's reaction. She wasn't upset. I guess that means it is ok after all to wave my hand in her face if I want her to stop talking,   Good to know.  Could come in handy someday.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, all!!  I was having internet issues yesterday on my computer, but not my phone, which was weird.  The university alerts page said there were outages around, so I didn't think much about it.  Today I still had issues, but realized my tech (on the same hub) was not having issues, and my phone (on the same line) was also fine.  So it had the be the line between my phone and my docking station.  I unplugged and replugged, and now I seem to be fine.

Windy bike ride today!

Caught this fellow at our bird feeder yesterday ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Thanks for getting us started, Jay.  Good luck today and tomorrow!

Great photo, Hopes!

SteveP - Good for you for nipping the added responsibilities in the bud.

Holly - My only word of caution is watch your form when walking or running with your arm immobile.  You don't want something else to get tweeked.

Wildchild - I've wanted to run the GC for so many years.  I keep thinking that one day I'll be able to pull it off with Karen and Kate, but that dream seems to be fading.  Hope the leg heals quickly.

I didn't win at Bonkos last night.  Waaah!  Controversy, though!   Two of the ladies who keep score once in awhile do a less than spectacular job.  I think a number of us are going to try to keep them from keeping score anymore.  Ah, the politics of it all . . . 

Up at 4:00, fed the cats, then hit the gym.  40 min on the elliptical, then 40 min of core/ST.  Used the pull-up / dip machine again.  I like that thing!  I've also been watching a couple of young ladies who do an extensive full body workout using various weights.  I'm cataloging some of their exercises for future reference, especially when I can start doing lower body ST again.

Okay - Gotta get to it.  Happy Friday ~~

Image result for happy friday monkey dance

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hopes - who's the bird? Do you have cardinals?

Our big ones are flickers and blue jays.

Dave - better go for a run or something, a very, very long one.

0.20 j-o'clock leaf raking miles in the yard.

3.50 foggy Hillside miles with 1,000+ stairs

Still a little foggy but, with rain comin' in tonight, can hardly wait to take advantage of another sunny afternoon to duplicate yesterday's 23 mile Lake Washington Loop commute over the old floating bridge one and back on the new one.  Sixty degrees and sun in November - yippee!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Singer who runs a smidge

Hopes - who's the bird? Do you have cardinals?

Our big ones are flickers and blue jays.

Cardinals are our state bird, so yeah, they're pretty common.  This guy is a red-bellied woodpecker.  I never understood that name, because it's his head that's red, not his belly!

We tend to have big blue jays too, although they look a little different than PNW blue jays, IIRC.  Maybe I don't RC ... it's been 15 years, after all ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

...soggy ground and a Real Bite to the wind today......

wimped out

..........30-min NordicTrak.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

I just had to pop in to thank Dave for his post.  I have had a very stressful day and it’s only half over, but I sat here and laughed for about 5 minutes after reading Dave’s post. The guy is hilarious!  Okay...gotta get back it...

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I just had to pop in to thank Dave for his post.  I have had a very stressful day and it’s only half over, but I sat here and laughed for about 5 minutes after reading Dave’s post. The guy is hilarious!  Okay...gotta get back it...

Hope you're not thinking of using that technique on anyone you may be related to by marriage.  Just saying.

Lots of Maggie miles this week.  DW is not feeling comfortable driving yet, so trips to dog park have been limited.  Maggie needs a good bit of exercise or doesn't like to sleep when we need her to.  So, three full lake round trips and an hour in the rain last night.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dnaff

A cold day for sure!  16 when I woke up.  Waited until noon to run and enjoyed 30 degrees with a 25 windchill.  Sunny though, so not bad at all.  Cooled down with 15 minutes of good old fashion stretching.  That felt even better than the run.   Happy Friday everyone.

Henrun

2 mile power walk in a windy sunny cold (mid 30’s) morning followed by indoor cycling and weights. Reports of snowflakes nearby. Not ready for thatšŸ„¶

buehrle I cannot believe there was no damage to your car. Pretty incredible.

RunnerKSA that is one odd place of interest your DD and new beau. Even more, ahem, unusual place to propose.

Holly S. good to read you are cleared for your next recovery step.

rochrunner definitely ghosts.

evanflein snow! S-N-O-W!!!  Away, yee harbinger of great evil! Away!

wildchild during my DW and my one and only trip to the Grand Canyon, we spent the night at the bottom. The way up was so miserable due to a rain and snow (depending on the elevation) storm at one point my DW (then girlfriend) told me in all seriousness to leave her to die and save myself. No, it is not an easy trip.

tetsujin209 I understood more than one day of sunshine in Seattle was not permitted. Are you sure you are there?

Dave59 close call that was!

coastwalker nice of you to do all that. I know some people start little companies that run local races. Have you thought of that? At least you would get paid (even if just a little) for all the work you do.

This week was 3 miles per run max week. I did it! Yesterday was, yep, 3 miles. This morning it was an hour on the elliptical. Tomorrow I get to go 4 miles! One major problem. It is freezing out! Did I ever mention how much I hate cold weather? Just in case I have not, I HATE cold weather! That would be any weather below 65°. In other news, my paper on the CPI was accepted into a conference that takes place at Jackson Hole during prime ski season (cold is okay if I am skiing). Now I have to find out if I am allowed to ever ski again post hamstring reattachment. Some have suggested I just cruise down blue runs. If that is the only option, I am done with skiing. But I am not sure I can run a mogul field without tearing the hamstring back off. I have to find out what is what.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/