Masters Running

Monday 7-10-17 Jay-less Daily (Read 34 times)

Tramps

All right, quit your moaning and pipe down.  Jay’s not here; no summary.  It’s the new world order, people.  You’re just gonna have to get used to it.

First, our cryptic post of the day:

Anyone interested in a week cared Passer?

My money’s on something like “well cared-for Passat” but who knows.

TW—I liked your mirror idea and ordered one after reading some reviews.  Thanks.

Holly— both tire and iPhone hassles.  What a drag.  Those little things can add up to being big PITA.  And, no, all the docs encourage cycling to strengthen muscles without the negative impact of running.  We’ll see.

KSA—I’ve never seen a parkway that allowed bikers to take the whole lane.  Interesting.  That video was painful to watch.  Some of the comments were vicious, too.  There are a lot of sick folks out there.  (Nice going for your son!)

RCG

• That hand problem sounds painful.  Hope you’re able to get it resolved. 
    • Glad your son is okay, too. RIP Sparky.
    • Hmmm…. “cautionary tale”? Not sure about that. 
    • Yes, some day I’ll definitely have to ride on the Capital trail. I’ve heard wonderful things.  Maybe TriBee and I could meet you and the rocket man one day.

Twocat—so was your race course short?  Good luck trimming back your times.

Hip/knee exercises + core work + 20 minutes spinning on the trainer.  That last one was just to start getting some bike legs and to check out the shifting on my new bike.  Not the most exciting thing in the world but at least I was getting a little aerobic exercise.  Once I get a helmet, I’ll move this onto the road.

Have a good week.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tramps-  the Natchez Trace really isn't used for "real" traffic.  It is a scenic parkway really just for tourism.   This guy has done this before, apparently, but only a partial plate was obtained then.  Now they have him.  Scary that he is (was) Dean of Students at one of our top private schools.

2.8 on very tired legs.   2.2 more after work on the treadmill.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

catwhoorg

Labrat

Following on the # of races discussion from the weekend.

86 races total for me since 2010

1 Mile

23 5K

2 4 mile

3 5 mile/8k

12 10K

4 15k

2 10 mile

28 half marathons

2 marathons

plus

3 3 hours timed (including 2 wins)

5 12/24 hours timed

1 Sprint Tri

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Good morning good people. Some impressive running over the weekend by you folks. Nice!

Sorry to hear about the phone incident Holly. Maybe it could still turn up??? And what kid's parents doesn't question their child all of a sudden having a "new" phone? I don't get it.

This is short. Like Jay, I'm headed out on vacation with DH. Tomorrow is our 20th wedding anniversary and we're heading up to the Apostle Islands for some hiking (I hope), golfing and R&R. I'm not sure what the reception will be like up there, but y'all be good while I'm gone!

See you next Saturday!

C-R

Yay Tramps for getting it started. That is an interesting sentence. Should have read "well cared Passat". I really shouldn't post from my phone.

Glad they caught that driver. Perhaps they can find a spot under the jail for him.

4.5 miles this morning since it started a bit early and I needed some alone time.  Our sheltie Cody was feeling a bit sluggish yesterday and had a couple of barf episodes. Nothing out of the ordinary or so I thought. He wakes me up at 5 this morning with some odd coughing. Go to check on him and he's barely responsive. Vet opens at 6. Get him comfortable, sit with him for a bit and go to grab a quick shower. Come back downstairs and he passed. Not sure what happened. We've had him for 5 years and he was a rescue from an abusive home so no real history. That dog was devoted to my wife but was scared of males so in the five years he let me pet him only a few times but he had spirit and was fun. I'm sad to have him go but he had several years with a family that loved him and where he was safe. Sad Monday

Have a great day everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Oh, Norm.  I'm so sorry and sad for you and your family.  We've lost cats suddenly like that.  They can have what is basically a heart attack but shuts down their lungs.   Sounds like he had a wonderful home for the last 5 years.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

wildchild

Carolyn

Norm, I'm sad to hear about Cody.   I'm sure it's tough on your wife and kids, too. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Bad start to the week, Norm.  Sorry to hear, but sounded peaceful, for a little comfort.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 at lunchtime.

Hopefully some biking after work. Depends on the weather

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Dave59

This morning there was a 1-day break from the heat & humidity so I got out for 5 miles.  It felt good not to feel so bad.

OK, this time I'm really back! It was signing on and seeing a post from RCG that did it -- a rare sighting for what seems like a long time. Welcome back, Barb!

I gave up on how much I have to catch up on, but spent most of June dedicated to biking vs. running and didn't get much on-foot mileage in. I did manage to do one of my annual bike trips, this time a "Civil War" tour of Gettysburg, Antietam, and Harper's Ferry, with stayovers at some really high-class B&Bs. Unfortunately, the trip ended with an accident of the type that is not uncommon and usually good for a funny story later, but due to a real coincidence of circumstances turned into the worst injury accident that I've been present for, including my 30 years of motorcycle touring! On the C&O Towpath we were lucky to get enough signal to call 911 and they ended up airlifting him to Baltimore. Since I'd only known him a couple of days I don't know how it all turned out, but I think about it a lot and certainly every time I'm out riding...

Then a couple weeks ago a friend that I've been having coffee with in a group most mornings the last few years died somewhat suddenly. His health has been deteriorating for a while, so it wasn't exactly a surprise, but the end really came up quickly. He's the closest friend I've had so far who's passed on, so that has stayed with me also (he was 78).

Anyhow... I walked with some friends on Saturday for a couple miles, then went on out and back for a good 5-mile run. This morning it was just a walk with the same people, which we finished just before the all-day rain started (still coming down). Tomorrow should be my weekly ride with the seniors group and a run on Wednesday. Will probably be entering a 5K on Saturday.

Now to catch up on the latest from everyone who's been here lately!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

'bout time roch came back//.......sorry about your friend.........

==========

40-min PoolRun with letters

.......good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R as others said, you provided a wonderful home for your companion's final years.

roachrunner very sad to lose a close friend like that.

Tramps nice job not doing a wrap up there. Would not want to see you muscling in on coastwalker's territory you know. As for my race, the local race series has all sorts of odd distances. Next Saturday is 3.781 miles. I actually know the story behind these rather bizarre numbers, but it is rather long for an RA post. If we meet up again in person and you want to hear it, I would be happy to relay all of the details. Not all that interesting to be honest. It starts with measuring the various courses using a police cruiser that apparently had a malfunctioning odometer. It kind of goes on from there.

Holly S. what a drag about the phone! I hope the police bust the thief.

I watched that car hit the bike in the video. I am really happy to hear they caught him. RunnerKSA it sounds like these accidents between this guy and bikers are "accidentally on purpose." If so, I hope he goes away for several years.

I got myself out the door to run 5x1000m intervals at the track. My second go in two weeks! Man I must be out of my mind. These things are horrible. Who thought of this interval thing anyway? With all this suffering I better win next week's race! Oh yea, last year the winner finished in a 5:30 pace. Never mind. Maybe I will just shoot for moving up an AG place or two. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

Tramps nice job not doing a wrap up there.

What can I say?  Tough love.

Norm--RIP Cody. That always sucks.  Like others said, though, you gave him a good life.

Catwhoorg--that's a lot of races in a little time! Mine went as far back as '97, I think.

Roch--Welcome back.  Sorry about your friend.  It certainly reminds us to enjoy the time we have.  That accident sounds scary, too. I hope things turned out okay.

Twocat--those intervals hurt but they do pay off.

I'm hunting for a bike helmet.  Hmmmm...

Be safe. Be kind.

..NO..

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....