Masters Running

Cubsday, 11.3.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Congrats, Cubs - the drought is over!

Fantastic job on the  village, TwoCat (and Mariposai)!

Naps at halftime sounds OK to me, TomWhite. Can sure beat some of the other goofy stuff that goes on... Nice pool run in the salt with friendly folks. I doubt that you are losing your touch!

Nice 5 1/2 in mild weather, Holly.

It's good to read that Stumpy's DW is making good post-surgery gains. Keep up the good work.

I hope you got your run in, Tammy, and congrats on scoring good seats for R. Cray. Sometimes small venues are the best.

Starr, we got a new remote for the TV - it cost all of $30. It is somewhat basic because I didn't want/need something that would control our lights, thermostats, locks, life, etc. With all you've got, you might be well-served to consolidate into one remote. I use RA and Garmin Express to track my workouts, and Athlinks to keep records of past races. I don't use a paper log at all. I know that keeping it all on the internet is risky, but if I lost it all, it wouldn't be the end of the world (or would it??).

Good 6-miler and another pool workout, and great photos, Paul!

Nike biking, Marj. Glad to learn that Henrun is coming along too.

So sorry that you had to say goodbye to Veta Louise Simmons, RCG. As we all say over and over again, it is never easy to say goodbye to an old friend.

Mariposai, with all you do for them, the people in your community are very, very luck to have you among them. Congrats on more great work!

My hamstring didn't respond well to yesterday's easy workout, so I just did some rolling with "Dicky The Stick" this morning, and will give it another day. Besides that, it was raining, and I was mindful of the rule...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. How 'bout them Cubs?! I didn't really care who won since both teams were so deserving, but 100+ years is a long time. And when I went to the Y at 5:00 AM this morning, the national news showed people in Wrigleyville still partying! I'll bet Chicago was wild and crazy last night and there will be lots of "sick calls" in to work today

Thanks for your recap Jay - the Cliff Notes version of what's going on around here. Loved the Halloween village pictures Twocat. And you do the same for Christmas? Where do you store all of these things?

I'm happy to hear that Henry is doing well. Mrs. Stumpy too. And I'm so sorry to hear about your dear dog RCG.

Saw on the news that the coffee drinking world is up in arms about the Starbucks holiday cup design for this year. Is it just me, or does anyone else think......

5 miles on the elliptical, 15 minutes on the rowing machine and 30 minutes of weights and core stuff for me this morning. Off to feed the children.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sleep, and the intent to make my first early morning run since knee day, meant that I bailed on the World Series about 10:30.  DW proved to be a more dedicated BB fan than I and made it to the end.  With all the Red Sox connections on each team, I had a hard time picking a real rooting interest, so I guess I couldn't lose.  Still very happy for the Cubbies.

So I did make it out at 5:45 for my standard 3.1 mile lake loop.  Usually I seem to wait just long enough for the rain to start, but this morning I got lucky and it had stopped by the time I made it downstairs.  I am now paying the price, as the large iced coffee seems to have little effect and dozing off is not far off.  Hope it won't make too much noise when my head hits the desk

Sorry to hear about the loss of VLS, Rosie.  14 years is a pretty great run.

Nice first world problem--I tend not to put a whole lot of thought into what's on my coffee cups.  Also, it's pretty much never Starbucks, anyway.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

I'm so sorry about Veta's final appt, RCG.  It's always so difficult to make that decision, even when it's the best and right decision to make. I'm dreading when we have to make that call for Annie and we've only had her a little over a year.

Got in a nice 4 mile run yesterday. Perfect fall day and I'm taking advantage of each day where i still have some daylight left at the end of my work day, because next week it'll be no more 

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Saw on the news that the coffee drinking world is up in arms about the Starbucks holiday cup design for this year. 

Seriously?  These people have WAY too much time on their hands...

Early morning meeting only allowed me enough time for 2.5 miles on the TM.  I'm hoping to get in a couple more after work, although I often think I will run after work but then wimp out when the time comes.  We shall see.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I did a nice recap post and just lost it!  Not RA's fault for once. Totally mine.  Well I am not going to redo it, sorry. I will say that I am glad that stumpy77's DW is seeing progress with her knee. Also, pfriese nice view for "flat land!" buehrle so sad to lose a furry friend. My sympathies. coastwalker good move going with hamstring rolling instead of rule breaking. Holly S. yep, too many people in this world with not enough to do.

This morning was my last run before the Indianapolis Marathon. It was 4 miles. I am packed and set to go. One problem will be getting to the airport in rush hour traffic. A problem just made worse by the airline's message that the flight is delayed 45 minutes.  Why? Nice weather here. Nice weather in Indianapolis. Where is the problem!

During my run I passed by Southport Beach. The mist on the water and shore was so tranquil I stopped to get a picture.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

pfriese

Hello all.

I really appreciate the Jay's & others recap of events in the daily thread(s). It always helps as I usually miss important stuff. We went from  a muggy day yesterday to a windy early fall day today. Made for a nice 10 mile run around the lake.

Paul

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Yep.  Happy Cubsday.

Thanks for the brief election break.

I bailed on the World Series about 10:30.  DW proved to be a more dedicated BB fan than I and made it to the end.

I bailed out even earlier - 10:00 pm, . . . but, fortunately, the game had just ended. <<<(PDT/PDT)>>>.
                  Although I have vivid recollections of the 1956 series <<<(DonLarson)>>>

and 1960 <<<(BillMazeroski)>>> all the ones in the 56 years since are pretty much a blurr,

. . . until now as I think 2016 will be hard to forget too.
                  Just faint remnants of soreness still lingering from last week’s Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run

so shouldn’t have any excuses for Saturday’s In-Unity-We-Run NYC Remembrance Marathon,

. . . . except the partly-sunny skies today and tomorrow are supposed to become “heavy rain” again by then.

Unfortunately, since I couldn’t care less and it-is-what-it-is, I won’t be able to use the weather as an excuse either.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

..easy does it jay.........

============

40-min HH around Ft Sanders Hosp whist dd2 had her PT

good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Ran 4.11 this morning.  Mentally burned out at work so I took the afternoon off. Went to get a haircut.  Got called back to work. At least I was done with the haircut.   Going to try to take tomorrow off. I am going to check out a new place to run that my chiropractor told me about.

My chiropractor is running the Marshall University Half Marathon on Sunday.  The course passes near my church so I think I'll go to church early and do some spectating.  Maybe get to cheer the doctor if I see him go by.

I think this is the biggest race in Huntington, WV each year but I could be wrong.  You finish on the football field.  Maybe I'll be in shape to try it next year.

evanflein

I'm so sorry about Veta's final appt, RCG.  It's always so difficult to make that decision, even when it's the best and right decision to make. I'm dreading when we have to make that call for Annie and we've only had her a little over a year.

Got in a nice 4 mile run yesterday. Perfect fall day and I'm taking advantage of each day where i still have some daylight left at the end of my work day, because next week it'll be no more 

Ditto on both counts. So sorry to hear about Veta, RCG. It was so hard to make that call to the vet last fall for Midnight, who we'd had for over 17 years, but it was really time. Doesn't make it any easier though. Hugs to you and your family.

Yeah, Fall Back is nice for the extra hour in bed, but not so good for those of us who run later in the day.

I actually watched the game last night, which is rare for me. Well, ok, not the whole thing, but the last few innings and, thanks to ADT, it ended even earlier for us! All done before 9 pm. I was cheering for the Cubs, just because it's nice to see them finally win. I think NPR said something like it was a fitting end after a 100+ year struggle with futility. Ha.

The snow in the forecast didn't appear, so I'm going to run outside today in my old shoes. New snow would've meant either the TM or a run in the Brooks Ghost, and since I'm not really thrilled with those shoes I'm glad to avoid them another day. Probably only another 5 miles today. Need to re-learn how to run longer mid-week. Or maybe, like Mariposai, I've just gotten too busy at work these days. 

MTA: 5.8 miles tonight, 23° and 50 minutes on the dot.

Henrun

Continuing to lurk. Have progressed to the use of a cane and Marj gets me out for several short walks a day.

As a Cubs fan from way back I was glad to see them win. I spent 3 years in Chicago in the early 60's during my residency at Northwestern. One of those years was just a few blocks from Wrigley Field and I was there for a number of games. I've been bailing early each night but saw every game. Now that the series has ended I have little to look forward to in the evenings during my rehab ( I'm not much of a TV watcher). Guess I'll read more (have 3 books going).

Another social 4+ mile run - nice to have company on the running road.

RCG - so sorry to say good-bye to Veta Louise Simmons. I had the honor of cuddling that pooch and she was a very loved dog.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

TammyinGP

got in 3 today after work. night all!

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm still on seven day taper for Saturday's "in-Unity-We-Run NYC REmembrance Marathon.

.Veta sounds like a friend to everyone.

14 x 7 = 98 for us.

Speaking of shoes, . . was I? , NPR business interviewed the president of Brooks about cutting back to just shoes (no more apparel, etc., I guess) and asked about Meb running in Sketchers or something. He said that some people can run in anything but most runners have individual biomechanics that need proper shoes for them in order for them to run comfortably without injury mile-after-mile on asphalt (which he contrasted to trails) for years and years into old age.

Even though my second pair of shoes in the early eighties (after Nike Waffle-stompers

in the seventies) was a pair of blue Brooks Vantage, I guess I could have related a little bit more

if he would have added “or nothing” to “some runners can run for miles and miles in anything.”

Running is so much simpler (and cheaper)

with just a pair of thongs in my pocket in case needed.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)