Masters Running

Windy Wednesday 01/06/16 (Read 34 times)

Good morning good people! Jay must be at a meeting, so I'll start the daily. Just don't be expecting the most excellent recap of yesterday's activities, because there won't be one

7.5 miles this morning in 21° with a nasty 20 mph wind out of the southwest. Because they don't plow any of the trails around my house during the winter, I'm forced to run on the street which has me going through an industrial park (lovely) and mostly heading north for the first few miles. Was only planning on doing 5 miles but got a little lost in the dark. I did do a nice fartlek on a very busy street trying to get back to one with less traffic!

We just started watching the series "Black List" on Netflix. Kind of violent, but I love James Spader from Boston Legal. I think we'll be binge watching this for a week or so.

Have a great hump day everyone!

Slo

A relaxing 5+ this morning.

Accuweather temperature didn't quite agree with the actual temps. Accuweather was reporting 10 degrees colder than it actually was. Left the house slightly overdressed and sweaty when I got home.

The final season of American Idol begins tonight. I've been a long time fan of the show and have never been able to get into the voice. Big fan of Harry Connick. - Hoping it's a good season.

And James Spader...I loved Boston Legal too. I can't believe it didn't run longer than it did.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hideeho, neighbors.

Small temperature miscalcualtion on my part this morning, too.  Tough reading the outside display in the dark and i thought I had 13° instead of the 19° that it actually was.  That was a big reason why I ended up carrying both hat and gloves by the end of my 3.9 miles.  It was supposed to be a tempo, but not sure the time reflects that.  The effort felt like it, though, so I hope that's at least part of what you're supposed to be aiming for.

Not much for TV other than sports and HGTV, but we have been watiching "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" and find it strange but amusing.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Small temperature miscalcualtion on my part this morning, too.  Tough reading the outside display in the dark and i thought I had 13° instead of the 19° that it actually was. 

13, 19 - That's just cold.  Period.

I watched the first episode of the last season of Downton Abbey last night.  It's weird watching it on a big TV.  I'm using to my small flat screen in my workout room.  My other regulars are "Major Crimes," "Suits," and "Covert Affairs."

I've been having a very hard time sleeping past 3:00 a.m. (yes, it sucks).  This morning (if it's after midnight, it's morning, right???) I pretty much was awake from about 2:00 on.  I finally gave up a little after 3:00, and since I was up, figured I'd make good use of my time.

I started the Foundation Training DVD today and did about 15 min of the first DVD.  I am very interested in seeing how things progress with my back.  If things start to feel better, I'm going to do my darndest to talk The Hub into giving the exercises a try.

I then did my 45 min stat bike workout, which included 5 min of progressively harder pedaling at about the 20 min mark, progressing to where the last minute was at about 90% effort.  I was sweating like a freaking pig.

Ended with about 30 min of core/ST.  I'm thinking next time I need any workout session with the Foundation Training as opposed to started with it.

Will I be as ambition in future Wednesday workouts?  We'll just have to see how the sleep thing is going.  

Have a good one, friends ~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - nice workout today!  I bet you will be ready for a nap by 1:30pm....too bad there isn't a Nap Room in our workplaces.  I would really benefit from a 20-minute lie-down in the middle of the afternoon, followed by a nice cuppa....

Intervals on the TM for me today, 1 and 2 minutes fast with 1 minute slow in between.  This should be getting easier, but it didn't feel like it.

1 mile WU, 3 miles of intervals, .4 mile CD = 4.4 miles total

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

I guess my office could double as a nap room. close to the door, turn off the lights. now I just need a little cot in the corner.

this is a super busy week for me at work, so i'll be lucky if I can even squeeze in an actual lunch hour anywhere.

David has a debate competition this afternoon. He looked so nice in his black suit, dark red dress shirt and dark red/black/silver power tie.

Tammy

Sayhey! MM#130

Hhideeho!  We had wind last night, wheeee!  Speedsters were doing speed intervals downtown so I went there but ran the bridge a couple times and tacked on 2 more miles for 6 total.  It was sort of sideways, so made it kind of interesting.  The sky darkening, the cooler wind picking up, river water whipping up and the light of the cars flashing along the way......loved it.   Then did six easy ones this am on the regular (Whiskey Creek) run.  Really enjoying the brisk temps....and they're good for sleeping.

Really sorry, Leslie about your sleeping issues, Leslie.  Gosh, it just makes such a difference in so much.  Does melatonin work for you at all?

I wore gloves Sunday in Jax.  That's all I have on gloves, after yesterday's picture.

My lyric of the day today is from DNCE (one of the Jonas fellows is in it, but it is def not at all of their ilk): "I keep on hoping we'll eat cake by the ocean."     Goes on:  "Red velvet, vanilla, chocolate in my life,  Ah yah yah yah yah, I keep on hoping we'll eat cake by the ocean."

I would think it would be a little sandy, in the frosting, you know?

Let me know if anyone sings it on Idol, Steve.

sayhey, twocat (and other cooks--just need to keep an eye on our non-running friend so he doesn't get into trouble while being idle)--I made Tzatziki  sauce the other day and finally think I found the sekrit ingredient, in that I added a bit of sour cream to the yoghurt.  Thoughts?

Will there be grasshopper pie for our debater tonight??

Good day, all.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Fatozig, make any 2 lb. meatloaf with your own recipe and put it on top of a small meshed holder, like the thing you put a cake on to cool it.  So it has a mounded shape.  No meatloaf pan. (I wrap the small meshed thing with foil, spray it with oil, then poke big holes in it to improve the smoke circulation.)   On a standard kettle grill, like a Weber, make a charcoal fire on one side and after it gets going, put some oak or mesquite wood chunks on top of the coals.  Now put the grill on and put the meatloaf on the opposite side of the grill, away from the direct heat. Open bottom and top vents and put the grill lid on.  This will generate a lot of smoke.  The meatloaf cooks up in about 90 minutes and will brown up nicely.  It will have a beautiful smoky flavor, even a smoke ring like bbq!  People go nuts for it.  Try it.

jlynne, it's pretty obvious that the Avery family are not choir boys.  The impression comes right through that they are kind of low life.  But what galls me is prosecution saying that "we presented a lot of evidence that wasn't shown in the Netflix show."  Well, okay, but what was it?  They gagged the entire prosecution team, so if they were so confident they did the right thing why aren't they telling their side of it?  Now I'm just finished episode two so this is getting kind of exciting.

Okay, running. Ten miles solo, half on the dirt.  Very slow.  Spareribs

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

22F

Alarm sounds and I turn it off and roll over.

It was in the wee hours that followed that I had a dream that I didn't find disturbing until I awakened and realized the truth.  The central figure in my dream (besides myself, of course) was a childhood friend/neighbor/classmate. Terri. She and I were younger than we are now but not kids anymore. In the dream, I was volunteering at a combination triathlon and blood drive as medical staff. Other details are somewhat unimportant.  I woke up from this dream, thought for a moment, and then was deeply disturbed by reality. It was March of last year that Terri was shot and killed by her husband, who then commited suicide. Odd, isn't it? How our sleeping brains work.

Sorry about that. But it might explain why I avoid reading about violence or watching violence on television or in the movies. I cannot find this subject interesting without becoming almost incapacitated with, what is the word? Empathy? Sympathy? Despair?  I just don't know. But it really limits my reading and viewing choices.

24F

Yearly mammogram. In 3D.  (hahaha)

I enjoyed the discussion about cataracts and training for half marathons in the above 60 age group. JLynne you are speedy for any age group.

Henrun and Marj you continue to be inspirational.

And I enjoyed reading about all y'all's opinions about training, aging, and whatnot.

tselbs did you feel like you were making butter running around that little track for 6 miles?

Tammy Your elevator situation was entertaining for the rest of us but, I could sense your apprehension and anxiety. Glad you are all right.

Ribs and TheSaint Having been a recipient of your hospitality, I know the young man was sincere in his compliment.

Aamos I am impressed with your seamless adjustment to the tropical climate to which you escaped from frigid Rapid City. And I continue to admire your marathon times. Ralph the r.s. enjoyed the marathons he started with you (although he could not keep up with you!). It was also fun to find you at a Myrtle Beach marathon and then share a meal with you and the mister at The Sea Captain's Table. Are you available for Wyoming in June?

Leslie When I read about your sleeping or lack thereof issues, I want to solve this problem for you. Alas, I find myself in similar circumstances some nights. I wonder if we could use any of our toddler techniques now?  What did we do when our children were off their sleep schedules?

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

wildchild

Carolyn

Are you available for Wyoming in June?

What race are you and the RS thinking about?  I'd love to join!  And if you want to come stay with me to acclimate beforehand, you're very welcome!  MikeE stayed with me before the Wyoming marathon - is that the one you're doing?  It's fun.

We just got home yesterday from Cancun.  I got up early before our flight and ran down to the beach for what will likely be my last barefoot run for a while. Back to the land of snow and no oxygen!  I signed up for a fat ass run this Saturday, the Frozen Front Range marathon.  Should be interesting after 2 weeks at sea level...

Leslie, hope you figure out how to sleep better!

Amy, I don't know about grasshopper pie, but we had grasshoppers at a Mexican cooking class we attended in Tulum.  Supposed to be a good source of protein,  and I mostly just tasted the salt and lime.

Holly, good for you for doing intervals!  I never do speedwork, since I don't like it, although I know I could use it.

Thanks for the Netflix suggestions.  We're always looking for shows we like.  I also don't like violent shows, but that does rule out a lot these days.

Heading out for my first run of the year at altitude soon.  Wish me luck!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

hi guys//..........I don't watch a lot of TV,

but

have been reading

''The War That Ended The Peace''...........hard to believe WW I was 100-years ago

the book focuses on WHY

1914 instead of the other crisis years preceeding it  A Good (600-page) Read

==========

.............30s here rebounding to 50s and 30s and 20s over the next week

60-min HH  with trekking poles

I'm starting to Like these things, and my back isn't hurting afterwards

................good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

spacityrunner

What race are you and the RS thinking about?  I'd love to join!  And if you want to come stay with me to acclimate beforehand, you're very welcome!  MikeE stayed with me before the Wyoming marathon - is that the one you're doing?  It's fun.

RCG:  I can attest to the fact that Carolyn is a right fine hostess.  If you can work it out to stay with her, do it!!  

4.1 miles.  They were beautiful.  (note to RCG and the RS:  I did the balboa spillway today).  Today I realized that I am living a life that is beyond my wildest dreams.

Trails Rock!

Sayhey! MM#130

Rosie, what marathon?  Caspar?  I love that one!  The one in Laramie is tougher, but not sure it's in June.  I mayhaps could do that.  June is not a marathon month down here, as you might imagine.  Let me know asap.

I'm wonder if anyone heard about the Boston nurse training for Boston who was killed when hit by a car last month?  She was a labor and delivery nurse at BID, maybe deez knows more?    She was going to run for the NICU, I think, in a charity slot.

Here's a little part of her story that made me think to share it here, as so many of us comment on the sunrises we see on our runs:

"A single mother of an 8-year-old son, Gavin, Russell was known for snapping photos of the sunrise on the hospital’s rooftop at the end of her overnight shift. The shot would often include a silhouette of the Prudential Center, a landmark just meters away from the Boston Marathon finish line on Boylston Street.

“When she came back [from the roof], she would have a big smile on her face, phone in her hand and the picture of the day already posted to Instagram and Facebook,” Eaton said."

Her name: Amanda Russell.   RIP.

Thanks for smoked meatloaf info, Ribs.  Sounds wonderful!

Welcome back to reality, Wild. 

I don't know what's going on with my sleep these days.  I've had trouble sleeping for a number of years, but in the past few months, it's gotten worse.  It doesn't seem to matter if I try to stay up later - I'm awake around 2:00.  I don't feel exhausted or anything, but mentally it sucks to be awake at 2:00 a.m.  Maybe my body is going into shock because I'll be (gulp) 50 next month.  Say whaaa???

And Aamos - No, melatonin isn't the way to go, according to my doc, even though I was trying that.  She said melatonin is more for getting you back into a regular sleep pattern like when you've changed time zones.  She did recommended an OTC "relaxant" that I can't think of the name of off hand.  I've been using that and it seems to have helped some, but still . . .

I also take generic Ambien, but only half a pill (5 mg or less) because I don't like the way it makes me feel when I take the whole thing.  Bleck!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Amy, I don't know about grasshopper pie, but we had grasshoppers at a Mexican cooking class we attended in Tulum.  Supposed to be a good source of protein,  and I mostly just tasted the salt and lime.

I would eat an insect or two.  Part of me regrets not having become an entomologist.  In advanced biology, we focused on insects, including catching, preserving, pinning and classifying.  Loved it.   (But I guess if I studied them, I shouldn't be snacking on them, )

Tammy has to make a grasshopper pie this month as part of her pie/race of the month regime at home.  It just took my fancy. 

Leslie--Be careful with Ambien!  Makes some people do bizarre things!    Sometimes I get DH to read to me when I can't sleep.  He's usually reading some very dry book about the history of flight or space or wars (he'd prolly like the one you're into, tw).  Puts me right out.  Get some really dull book on CD??