Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 07/03 (Read 612 times)

HO-LY COW!!  What a weekend!!  That's about all I can muster at the moment.  I am so so so tired.  Nothing like Kate, of course, but I've been up 36 hrs right now, and our group is going out to dinner in half an hour, so I won't be getting to bed any time soon.

Hope you all had a great weekend.  Arla and Stumpy - Can't wait to hear how your race turned out.

As a teaser, here's a pic you might enjoy:

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Holy Smokes Leslie, 29 hours of running over mountains. Wow.

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - great pic, I'm glad she did well. Sounds like crewing is an ultra event, too!

OK, gotta go. Just posted a RR over in the Racing section. Having a great time!

Have a good week everyone!

Ex runner

evanflein

Awesome picture, Leslie. Glad you guys had fun and looks like Kate had a good race. A guy from Douglas (near Juneau) won that race and set a new record. I can't imagine...
            Holy Smokes Leslie, 29 hours of running over mountains. Wow.

No, no, no.  She made it in less than 29 hours.  She had 4 seconds to go.  Veeeery important, my friend.  Very importante.

Our group at dinner tonight: (L-R) Me, Gary, Rodney (Kate's Husband), Karen (Kate's Sister), Russ (my Trail Angel), Kate (my Trail Running Goddess), Glenn (Kate's pacer - and there's an interesting story re him, me, Russ, Kate, etc. that wasn't realized until this weekend).  Fun times!

Okay, now I have to go to bed.  Arla, I'll check out your report tomorrow.

Nitey night, kids -

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

What an experience Leslie......so are u entering next year?

BTW I think ex Nebraska farm boy now Boulderite was 2nd.

Arla I will put an official reply on your RR sounds like quite the race you had also.

8 yesterday as backed off the distance in prep for our race on the 4th. Went pretty well, I started slow to work out some soreness from the track workout then tryed to push it just a tiny bit  and then a little more on the last 2 miles.Aerobically felt pretty good at faster pace, it made the parts hurt a little more but nothing that a light week won't help.

Our excitement thursday: Lynda woke me up very early with a rapidly swelling tongue, apparently an allergic reaction to what we do not know. Anyway a fast trip to the hospital for IM Benydryl and then an Epi shot when the doc didn't think it was working quite fast eough. Anyway out of there by 8 am and back to work, came in for lunch and a catnap and we get a call from lifealert that dad had fallen. Rush to town again and other some nasty scrapes and bruises no broken bones or other injuries. We think he tripped on the steps up his house. He thought he blacked out but he told us everything that happened before and after, and his scrapes were all defensive in nature meaning he was trying to catch himself and prevent his head from hitting the sidewalk.

have a great week all, hiya to the rest of the crew.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

No, no, no.  She made it in less than 29 hours.  She had 4 seconds to go.  Veeeery important, my friend.  Very importante.

My bad, whoops. That's incredible. Thanks for the pics Leslie and looking forward to hearing more details of the race. I was following the leaders online. Unbelievable.

Geez Jim, never a dull moment, eh? Glad to hear both Lynda and your Dad are ok. Good going on the speedwork.

Awful hot (close to 100*) today and train troubles coming home from work forced me to bag my run. Had a good weekend though. 10er yesterday then about 3 miles of ocean kayaking with some buds.

Off to read Arla's report.....

I'm thinkin' Kate had a goal of a sub 29 hrs........woohoo! Looking forward to the details Leslie.

Dang Jim, do you think Lynda got stung by something? Glad she's O.K. Glad your dad is too! My mom fell Sunday night getting up in the middle of the night. Messed up her hip a bit but she's O.K......sucks seeing your parents get old but I'm glad I still have both my mom and dad.

Joe, phew that's hot.....hovering right around 92ish these days with super high humidity.

Read Arla's race report and posted! Nice.......

Gotta get movin'

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

jfa

Hiya Jewels! yes you are lucky. We lost my Mom a few years ago, my Dad will be 80 and lives in St Pete. One of my sisters live in Sanford (Fla) and he will head there when his few remaining marbles are gone.

Good workout tonight. 5m @ 9:27 , 100 pushups and situps in between.Then 5m @ 9:14, followed by 5m @ 9:08.

Heat wave is finally breaking tonight. Tomorrow it's back outside for temps only in the high 70's !    Yahoo !!

flatland mountaineer

Tried to do a running times week before the race workout which included 3 sets of 3-400 m repeats @ increasing pace with longer recoveries in between the sets. I didn't finish the last set ran out of time and energy and was at the puke point so called it.

Hi Jewels glad your mom is ok, yes hard to watch your parents age. Dad is doing great for the spill he took. Complains about being sore but holy crap I would be sore for months after on a crash like that.. Our best guess is Lynda reacted to the sulfa antibiotic she put in Dads pillbox as she has a know allergy there. Doc said just touching them could cause a severe reaction.

Joe those are amazing pace times to me!! Glad your heat wave is breaking.

Farm has been kicking my butt in the last last week and that with all our other drama. I finally got some sleep last nite and am going to take a few hours PT time this morning to get my head right. "Spose the boss will mind???

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hi Folks -

Jim and Jewels - Hope your folks are doing better.  It's tough watching our parents get older.  I look at my dad and keep remembering the guy who taught me to tie my shoes and drive a car, and I think, "How did he get to be 69?"

Joe - Your running is very inspiring.  Glad the heatwave is breaking, even if only for a short time.

I'm so frigging tired/sleepy it's rather ridiculous.  I had planned to go home and go to bed after work yesterday, but some friends are in town for the week and we went out to dinner with them.  Didn't get to bed until around 10:00, slept like crap because of night sweats, then had to be up early, early to get in 10 miles and hill repeats.  Thank goodness Wilson wouldn't leave me alone or I would've gone right back to sleep.  He can be an annoying little turd in the morning, but he's a great alarm clock.

Still riding high on the WS wave.  I'll get a report written over the next few days.  Don't know how I'm going to put this whole experience into a less than novel length report, let alone into words.

Missed you guys ~

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

G'mornin Folks!

Just a readin & tryin to catch up w/ya'll...  (gotta come up wid some abbreviations & modificayshuns to keep Les on 'er toes!)  .... ya ready for a book!?  I've been gone awhile...drinking coffee...feelin chatty

Huge Congrats to Kate & crew!!   I still haven't had a chance to check out the finishing stats....one of the finisher's Dad has offered to get me a "Gordy" t-shirt...maybe someday I'll crew that one...meantime, I'm off to the HardRock100 about this time next week. Wish I could've gone out there this week - they're running/biking/marking the trail in 9-15 mile segments over a few days - whatever it takes to cover/verify 100 miles.

Sooo Arla, I don't even know what to say to that!  ~ What's next?

Jim:  You ever find out what Lynda's reaction was from? If it's something pretty commonly around the house/farm, it might be wise to keep Benadryl & an Epi pen handy!! My Mom is fiercely allergic to bees, wasps & such - has an Epi pen & medic alert bracelet....we found this out during the years that my Dad was hugely into beekeeping!  Good luck with your race this weekend!!  All 3 of you running? We have several 5K's in D-town to choose from...not that we've even talked about it...Doug mentioned "pirating" one - like maybe the one that runs my regular short loop - since I'd be out there anyway  & then just don't pick up any of the amenities...

You sayin' you need a bit more heat out there Joe?  Bet we can ship ya some, right Ev, Jim, Carol??   Bueler? We've been keeping to lowish 90's around here...

Hey Jewels!! Nice to see ya! How's things going?

Summer - and allll of our projects are in full swing here.  Had 7 guys on my roof yesterday - ALL day, in 93* temps!! Dang! but, I have a new roof   I popped a window on the top floor & kept handing out iced tea, G2 & cookies. Looks good - whew!  Now, to just finish settling up w/the Ins Co - who agreed to the work.... & did I tell ya'll about my "free" bathroom cabinets? No? hmmm....weeell, had some water damage a while back + 1979 all original house (no upgrades made e.v.e.r! we bought 4 yrs ago) ....One of Doug's clients gave us a pr of bath cabinets - one lav & one wall. used, but in great shape & in a style that is still pretty commonly used & since we're not quite ready to do the "complete gut & remodel" we figured we'd just pop these in as a "get-ya-by"....riiiiiight!  . First, the "new" cabinet is bigger than the old one. K. more storage! I'm good w/that... Run down to Home Depot/Lowes & pick up a new top & faucet - (yay! I'm getting rid of the Robin's egg blue!! woo-hoo!) clearance rack $235.  Since we finally have the other cabinet off, time to "correctly repair" (was "patched") what the original problem was w/new shut off valves - I'm guessing $20 as DH didn't give me a receipt so it must've been pocket cash. Rough fit the new cabinet w/top & find out it's also TALLER than the old one - won't fit under the 1950's all-in-one medicine cabinet/mirror/light combo...which turns out to be all one piece!  must come off to put in the new one...displaying a lovely lack of paint & a size-able hole in the wall behind the light!!  crap!  Back to HD where I pick up a new light fixture & mirror (not on sale but, decent price - $168) + paint $45, whilst DH works his magic on the plumbing stuff...since we took out the blue sink, DH says that blue toilet MUST go...new water efficient toilet $109....+ other misc incidentals - my 2 hr, free cabinet repair took 2 days & nearly $600! ....hmmm, wonder when we'll knock out the blue tub & tile??  Meantime, I still have a bay window, patio door, another toilet & cabinet, boxes of tile, 16 solid teak doors & fencing material still sitting in the garage from the previously scheduled honey dos....  I figure we'll be tinkering w/the supplies we have on hand for a coupla years yet!   Especially with Dh's automotive side work volume! Oooh, & I s'pose my other little "projects".....I must say that my life is a bit like a soap opera - a lot goes on in any given day but, six months later, the overall theme is still pretty much the same!

Oh yeah, running board  : due to time constraints & heat, Mairead & I are usually only going 2.5 - 5 miles most mornings but, we're at least being pretty consistent with that. & as we can, another short jaunt - sometimes walking, in the evenings after it's cooled off a bit. She's down 6lbs but still doesn't want to go any further than 5 but, it has been pretty warm...& I'm just not getting up @ quite O'dark thirty - when SHE prefers to run. I, on the other hand, haven't lost a thing! guess I'm still eating waaaay too much! ... still doing the P90X workouts as much as I can squeak in (I really think they're helping!) - trying to also make sure DD can get in her workout video as often as I can encourage her to.   Her classes are only 2-3 days per wk just now so, we are doing pretty well getting these done in btwn chasing toddlers, Dr appts & housework for 6.  I've taken her to a couple of "Diva Nights" where the local running co. throws a party to showcase the new running gear, etc. for women & we've picked up some nice swag from that as well...ahhh, I now possess 2  30 day memberships to local health clubs!! I won em & can't give them away! The closest one is 30 mins away & is very nice. Was activated pretty much the minute she called me that I'd won it....full access to everything, including all but the pay classes (there's only a couple that I'd have to pay extra to take)  + 2 sessions w/personal trainers until July 27th. One of the PT's works with endurance runners....hmmm.  The other health club is a voucher that I can activate later, but that also will be for as much as I want to use it for 30 days.  Both will give me a discount to sign on as a full member while I'm enjoying my "free" 30 days but, both are a bit $$

Better go get something productive done...like denting the never-ending pile of laundry....

Ciao!~

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Morning, Folks -

Cindy - Did you make a dent in the laundry pile?

Got about 10 hrs of sleep last night.  Not uninterrupted, but that's okay.  I'm actually feeling human again.  Will get in about 4 miles after work tonight.

These are my last two days at my Thurs/Fri job, the attorney I've worked with for over 12 years.  I'm really excited about being at my other job full time, but I will miss this boss.  He and I aren't just employer/employee, we're friends, and I will miss our long talks.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hey all,

Cindy- it's exhausting just listening to all that you always have going on! That list is never complete! When you own a house, (or 2) there's always work to be done. And what ever you think the job entails, well double that and then some.

Good going getting any runs in with all that going on!

Leslie- can you visit your soon to be ex boss later? Good luck with the job changes.

Jim- I think the boss can cut you some slack. Hope the temps look good for your upcoming race.

I thought it would be 2 days, but it's looking like 3 days a week in Manhattan with my job changes. I used to go there everyday for many years,so it's not new to me. Just have to get used to the commute again and since I'm mostly getting paid while I'm commuting, it's not hard to take. About an hour and a half each way on a good day. I have already suffered 3 hr one ways since I started this. I still would rather be on the road than in the office though,so I'm not complaining.

5er out at the reservoir tonight in delightful 72*.

Looking like a great holiday weekend around here!

An easy 4.5 miles after work with a 9:50 pace, which included a nice .20 climb at about Mile 3.  It's not horribly steep, but it's a good climb.

Okay - I picked one of my 50-milers for next year: Mt. Hood PCT Ultra Marathon    . . . . .  I'm looking for two.  Suffice to say, this past weekend got me revved about the longer distances.  We'll see if I'm up to it.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance