Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 8.30.17 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (3.1 morning miles after lousy sleep)
    Dave (4.5 morning miles with hillage)
    Holly (4.5 TM miles)
    Rochrunner (3.5 morning miles with elevation variations)
    Tomwhite (45 min X-bike & 40 min PoolRun canceled due to wardrobe malfunction)
    Fatozzig (30 min core & ST)
    Marj (6 miles along the Charles River)
    Henrun (a shorter route along the Charles than Marj)
    Pfriese (5 easy miles)
    Evanflein (5.2 miles)

Catwhoorg (8 post-work miles with hillage)

Twocat (1 TM mile with Percoset)

Spacityrunner (3.1 sunsetmiles in cooler temps & lower H)

Stumpy (3.1 quick lake loop miles in 53° temps)

StarrRuns (morning yoga & pre-supper bike ride)

Sorry about missing your total mileage yesterday, RunnerKSA - I wasn’t sure it was additive. I hope you slept better.

Nice run fighting tiredness, Dave.

I hope Harvey is a lot easier on you, Holly.

Good job of beating the rain, Rochrunner.

Yep, Tomwhite, chlorine is hell on clothes. I’m glad you found the problem before entering the pool.

Sorry about your ‘wardrobe malfunction’ too, Fatozzig. I trust you found something to wear, and I hope your MAT app’t went better than expected. Seems like you got some good advice/sharing about Lidocaine here.

Sorry about all the smoke, Tammy. But I’m probably not as sorry as David.

How’d your foot feel this morning, Pfriese?

We can always count on Twocat to have a good recipe for just about anything! Good job on doing some walking to counteract side-effects..

Gotta watch those spooky old trees, Starruns! Good luck with the new yoga routine.

Tet, we made salmon burgers from a NYTimes recipe, and they were more flavorful than I expected. A good recipe that we'll use again.

Sounds like a good time in the Hamptons, Henrun & Marj, even if you didn’t have Jlynne with you.

Sorry about the Garmin dying, Evanflein. I’ve also had a few times when I tried to make it back before my Garmin died, and sometimes I made it, and sometimes I didn’t.

I hope Harvey doesn't hit you too hard, Cat.

I woke up a little early this morning, so I walked a little further: 7.6 quick RW miles in 57° with a couple o' drizzle drops.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning, y'all.   No problem, Jay.  I'm always proud of myself for remembering to go back and add my evening miles, but I certainly don't expect anyone else to have to keep track of it!  Smile

3.1 this morning.  It's  darker in the mornings and harder to get out of bed.

2 miles after work- treadmill

Equals 5.1

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

A solid 24 hours of near-non-stop rain yesterday, which we needed.  Back to bright blue skies today though.

21 miles on the bike.

Be safe. Be kind.

catwhoorg

Labrat

I hope Harvey doesn't hit you too hard, Cat.

Forecast last night was 2-4 inches, this morning 1-2.

Nothing compared to the Texas and LA coast that is for sure.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Rain yesterday here, but nothing exceptional.  Super foggy this morning, so I stayed on the TM to avoid tripping on sidewalk cracks or getting hit by a car.

6.7 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Today's recipe is gazpacho. Just for anyone here that is not wearing out their food processor! I have tried numerous gazpacho recipes. Typically they are just eh. One way or another they fall flat. One day DW and I were at a restaurant and ordered their gazpacho. It was amazing! I asked for the recipe and they sold me their cookbook with it in it. The cookbook is called "At Blanchard's Table" and if you like this gazpacho recipe you should think about getting the whole book. It contains any number of terrific dishes. In the meantime, my Allrecipes page contains a copy of their gazpacho recipe: http://allrecipes.com/personal-recipe/64656675/gazpacho/. It takes hardly any time to put together. Peel a cucumber, seed a couple of bell peppers cut up some plum tomatoes. Then dump into your food processor. Pulse a few times. Mix with some other stuff in a bowl, Cool in your refrigerator for a couple of hours and you are in business.

The bolster on my tongue goes out later today. Or so I hope. I also really hope that after it comes out my tongue will hurt a whole lot less. Alas, I suspect that is not going to be the case but I can dream.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mrrun

I  made a gazpacho recipe from nytimes which was more of a drink then soup, but delicious - but I'll try yours also.

tomato sauce question - do you peel tomatoes before cooking them into sauce?  if you don't care about a smooth sauce, does it matter?  thanks

oh yes, running - none today as my knee was barking at me - instead about 3 miles of walking to be followed by waiting for the plumber!

happy trails!  marj

I think the sauce comes out better if you peel the tomatoes first. But, I admit to being lazy on occasion and just dumping in chopped tomatoes with the skin on. Tastes okay but then I cook it a bit longer. Otherwise I think the peels make for some pretty unappetizing skins floating around.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

Good Morning all!

Another super smokey day here. Can't even see the nearby mountain ranges or maybe just a slight silhouette of them through a thick haze. 
                    Ran a 5K on the TM last night and will go again tonight after work and run for about an hour I suppose. Even the tiny bit when I am outside (pretty much only from home to car to work, etc.) has me feeling fatigued and eyes burning. Was surprised how much ash was on my car just from overnight. and bigger chunks of ash too. all swirling around in the air and I just cringe when I see people outside walking their dogs or younger kids outside playing. I know it sucks to be stuck indoors but this is bad bad air. worse than just pollution in the air.  

some parts of the course we ran on for the Wild Rogue Relay are burning too. For the van 1 peeps that were with me this year, the Applegate Lake to Jackson County campground area are evacuated due to the fires burning down there. just so sad.  and then of course, Brookings area where the relay ended is under various levels of evacuation. The fire is only burning about 5 miles from where we ended the relay.

Tammy

TammyinGP

I think the sauce comes out better if you peel the tomatoes first. But, I admit to being lazy on occasion and just dumping in chopped tomatoes with the skin on. Tastes okay but then I cook it a bit longer. Otherwise I think the peels make for some pretty unappetizing skins floating around.

In the past when I've made tomato sauce, I do remove skins but then I let them dry out and have ground up in my coffee grinder. Then I'll use those ground up peelings to add to tomato sauces and it'll thicken the sauce up.

Tammy

mrrun

In the past when I've made tomato sauce, I do remove skins but then I let them dry out and have ground up in my coffee grinder. Then I'll use those ground up peelings to add to tomato sauces and it'll thicken the sauce up.

You put me to shame!  I ended up peeling about half the tomatoes - the terrible looking ones and using the food processor on the sauce, which tastes wonderful!

sorry about the smokiness!

I agree with others on Denise's photo: nobody should be allowed to look like that at the end of any event with the word "Ironman" involved! I look worse than that crossing a 5K finish line .

Waited out the fog today, then went for a 31-mile bike ride. I went by myself, but on the way back caught up with the group that I've ridden with a couple of times on Tuesdays; they postponed yesterday's ride due to the rainy weather. So I had someone to pull me along for the next few miles.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

five miles.

After the rainiest winter in 122 years of record-keeping in Seattle (but that those of us who grew up in rain country did not even notice), and this summer’s very noticeable record-breaking streak of dry weather (56 days, including another record of 16 of ‘em over 80o), I celebrated today’s new record for days-over-70o (63) with a morning five miler with enough breeze to have sent all the smoke and haze back down to Oregon and eastern Washington where they came from.  Sorry posie and tam.

2C – glad the TM was there for you when you needed it.

However, hope you get out for a run soon, . . . unless it's raining.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

catwhoorg

Labrat

Trick to peeling tomatoes.

Score an X in the bottom of the skin, put them in a bowl. Add hot water.

In about 30 secs the skin softens and starts to separate from the flesh, pull them out with a slotted spoon and peel with your fingers*.

*You can dip them in ice water first if you find them a little hot

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

pfriese

1000 meter swim over lunch. The foot felt fine this morning, so I'll try another 5 mile run tomorrow.

Paul