Masters Running

Thu July 10 Runs and Workouts (Read 544 times)

Good morning, everyone! I set out to run 12 today, but got a bit lazy and only did 9 -- I figured I have a motivation problem recently so I don't want to hate what I'm doing, and was getting there after about 9. I need to get out of this, but I figure after this cycle (and after the summer), I'll feel better about getting the mileage in and speed work. Workout: 8.1 miles, 8:52/mi, AHR 155 Overall: 9.1 miles, 1:21 I hope your runs are better than mine lately Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Summer HHH can be pretty demotivating so I try to ignore it and just slow down. Hats off to breeger and other hot climate runners! 2 Magical Muggy Miles with Tory at 9:55 pace AHR 136 70F, 68F dewpoint and some rain. Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! 6 miles for me today. the first 4 outside and the last 2 on the treadmill. The treadmill seems so much gentler on this injury, probably because of the padded surface as opposed to hard pavement. Sadly, I'm thinking I may have to give up running entirely for a while, though. Although this is improving, it is doing so very slowly, and maybe only total rest will fix it. That may very well throw me completely off my marathon training plan. (sigh) I wish I hadn't already paid for it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

'round here, we tell the humidity level by how much you can't see in the mirror in the morning. Really. Currently, we're at 72 F and 97% humidity, if you believe accuweather. It feels pretty darn nice, 'cause the air is starting to move! (and the mirrors are rather clear! - air movement = clearer mirrors.) But, we also live in this weather. No air conditioning. I really think air conditioning makes it harder for the body to appreciate/acclimate to the wet air. So, if you spend a good part of your day in air conditioning, don't beat yourself up about not being able to handle the heat. Friend is coming by tonight so Renee and I can squeek out another 3.5 mi run. Have fun out there!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Dave59

I got up early to try to sneak in a software install during the middle of the week, but a couple users were already signed on and working before 5:00am so I was too late. The company lets the claims adjudicators work from home now so I guess some like to get an earlier start than others. I worked for a while and then decided to go put in a few miles. I did my PT exercises and then an easy 3 miles. I concentrated on form, posture and breathing. I got cold out there today too. It felt colder than the 53° that my thermometer read. A couple people were out running in long sleeves and I was wishing I had done that too. We're in the middle of a 24 hour break from the heat and humidity.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Very H&H here too last night during my mid-week long run with 1000 meter repeats. Didn't feel very well starting out at all, and wondered if I could even do my planned workout....last couple of miles running home were kinda rough. 12.2 miles - 1:35:05 - 7:48 overall ave pace (very good pace for a training run for me) 1000 meter repeats plan was 4:30 each with a 7:15 pace which I failed miserably at, but I felt super good once I ran to the track. 4:21 - 6:44 pace 4:28 - 7:01 pace 4:15 - 6:38 pace 4:13 - 6:42 pace 4:17 - 6:36 pace 4:06 - 6:23 pace I ran my 1000 repeats by feel and ran strong and "felt" controlled, but too fast for me with the plan Ribs has me on....didn't know what my paces were still I got home and plugged my times into a pace calculator. It was neat last night when I saw an older dude like me practicing throwing shot put. After my 1000's, I went up to him and said that I have the school record here in shot and discus. He asked what my name was and he said "oh yeah, I remember you" He told me his name and come to find out, we were each other's rivals in the shot put - discus- and 440 yard dash in high school - different schools. As we were talking he asked where the other 1/2 of me was...because I weighed more then, than I do now. I reminded him about when I beat him by 1/2 inch in the shot put in the sectionals....then he punched me in the nose....kiddiing Big grin He actually does master track meets and said he is throwing further now, than when he was in high school...that is so cool for a 48 year old guy. He said he would get me some information on these Master track meets...I think that would be sooo cool only competing with athletes my age. Fun meeting him again and brought back many fine memories Smile Hang in there all struggling with the H&H....including me. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Goor morning Boomers. Things aren't good in my running world lately. I've been nursing a sore right hip the last couple of weeks. I thought by running less miles/slower I could work through it. Tuesday I tried to run my normal 10K route and only managed 4 miles before the pain was so bad I had to stop and walk. Went and got a massage that evening, and that seemed to help. So, like a dummy, yesterday I tried to run again. Got a half mile out and the pain was so bad I turned around and came home. I must have altered my gait due to the sore hip and now my whole right leg is a mess. Tried to make an appointment at a sports medicine clinic, but they said I had to see my regular doctor first. I don't know why, because the doc will just refer me to the sports medicine clinic anyway. Has anyone had any luck with acupuncture? I'm supposed to run a 5K on Saturday and it's not looking good. I'm sorry to whine - I know there are people with much bigger problems but this really sucks. Sad Holly - can't you get a refund for the marathon if you have documentation from your doctor visits proving you are injured? I know the local run here will give you your money back if you're hurt. Nice runs Lou, Steve and Tim. Take good care of your healthy bodies! Jeanne
                  WRFB hang in there. I know how you feel (literally). Perch oh wise and sage runner - "try to ignore it and just slow down". If only ... Holly you're young. There's always next year, the year after, and .... Don't worry about the lost registration fee. Worry about getting healthy. Remember how dAAve and others have done it. NonoRuns you mean you're supposed to see something in a mirror in the Summertime??? Dave59 gotta schedule those SW installs so you can get your work done early too. BikeTm you are freakin' fast. I'm not talking to you no more. Jeanne See Holly comment above. Ditto for you. My last rest day was last Thursday so it seemed prudent of me to rest up this Thursday too. So I slept in and (knock on wood) now I'm feeling pretty darned good. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

DickyG—I just ignore provocateurs. Roll eyes Divechief—a PR race the day after, huh? Don’t let my doc hear about that! Holly—sorry to hear the injury’s troubling you so much. Hang in there. Jeanne—sorry to hear about your injury, too. Patience. H&H here too but, unlike WRFB, I won’t whine about it. Of course, I only did 3.5 miles, so that might make a difference. Tongue Glad to be out there.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning, all! {{{{{{{Jeanne and Holly}}}}}} Dave - you were COLD???? I'll take your 53 degree temp right now!!! Tim - nice repeats and very cool to be able to compete in masters track meets. Michigan had some great senior olympic track competitions, and I was looking forward to competing when I was finally "of age". Sadly, I haven't seen anything comparable in CT. The lower heat and humidity the weatherman promised hasn't yet reached my part of CT, so this morning's run was done in the mid 70's and high humidity. On the up side, there was a nice wind blowing on the track along the Thames River. 7 relatively easy miles @ 9:48 pace. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

DickyG

Morning, everyone... Mainerunnah: I'm wilting in the humidity...have any tips on how to cope? Hallar: Great run...what were temps like? Lou: Well, if it makes you feel any better, I couldn't do anywhere near 9 miles at any speed. Holly: This might be a real longshot, but would running on grass maybe help a little? Personally, I don't like it but one of my buddies, who has a bad back, can run 9 holes on the golf course with little pain. Tim: What a huge effort today..hat's off, pal. Loved the story about running into an old rival. When you think about it, you're already competing with athletes your age...age groups in races. I've been doing this stuff for quite a while...I play senior softball...sort of levels the "playing field". I've also played in the super-seniors division in golf tournaments although I usually still play from the blue tees against the college kids, even though they kick my butt. I've watched masters track & field events..those guys are fabulous. Anybody: How do know your heart rate after running? Do you take your pulse? Did 4 miles at the track this morning. Improved 19 seconds to 39:04 but still can only run 2 miles before I start to walk...last 2 miles are tough...run as far as I can...walk 15 seconds...run as far as I can, etc. Leaving form Tennessee later this afternoon for a softball tournament...no running until at least Sunday. DickyG

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Healing Vibes [[[ JLynne & Holly }}} SR...sorry to hear the news but I'm glad that caught this in time! Steve...I'm excited about your Marathon this weekend, it should be very interesting...looking forward to your RR Smile 10.17 miles of hills @ 9:05 pace, no shirt, no HRM...I love running in this kind of weather. I only need 3 articles of clothing to put on & I'm out the door. Big grin Good runs to all today

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #957

Remember how dAAve and others have done it. l
                            whine on..... Well, yes, but the methods they used – gym memberships, elliptical, pool running – these are options I don’t financially have right now. (Okay, we do have a water park membership but there’s no lap pool and my primary focus when there is to keep a close eye on DD, not work out.) Even bicycling seems to irritate that groin muscle. The thought of just sitting around and getting fat(ter) or (gasp) going on a(n even more) stringent diet, doesn’t thrill me. .....whine off .......Okay, now I got that out of my system, could you say that part about me being young again.... Smile The real bummer to me is that I was so excited about this plan that Spareribs suggested, and was just beginning to feel the benefits of the speedwork and hill-climbing I had been doing. Oh well, there's always another season to try it. I'm keeping a close eye on the suggestions that SR is giving Tim. Jeanne – I don’t think you can get a refund, but I may be able to switch to the HM instead of the full, if I need to. DickyG – I think there is a golf course not too far away. I may give that a shot and see how it feels. It’s GOT to be better than the other option I’m thinking about, which is to stay completely on the treadmill, which seems much less painful. But what about the golfers? Do they mind a stray jogger chugging through their midst? Confused LaVitaDolce - I just read yesterday's post and laughed out loud. Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tim... lets face it.. you're just plain fast Smile .. Nice repeats by feel! Dicky.. I wear a heart rate monitor for te run. After the run? Sometimes I'll keep looking at it to see how fast it drops, and indication of hydration level. Sometimes (rarely) wear it to bed and record the resting HR. Some times just check pulse by fingers on wrist and count beats for a minute. nonoruns... excellent point on AC vs acclimation.. but I'm NOT turningf the AC off Shocked (Although I did up the setting to 77F recently, but still dry 50's% humidity in the house) At work they freeze us out! I understand this is a widespread workplace problem that is wasting alot of energy besides making heat acclimation difficult.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

..dickyG//......getting a LOT of rain in Tennessee right now, drive safely...... ========== ....wet and ach-y//...........road was wet, I was achy..... 45min Horrible Experience I would call ''Jogging'' but others might refer to as ''Penance''... for what, I don't knw, but maybe I'm Paid Up for this weekend....... ..................good running guys.............watch those cars.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....