Masters Running

Thursday, June 24 Daily runs and chatter (Read 574 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning Masters!

I ran what appears to be a zippy (for me) 4 miles this morning!   During the first mile my right knee was aching a little, so I figured I'd just do a slower 3, plus it was really windy and that kind of freaks me out in the woods when it is dark.   After the ache subsided though, I kept going on my usual 4 mile route.  10:21 / 9:55 / 9:43 / 9:47  - 9:57 avg. pace / 159 avg. HR    I didn't know I had sub-10's in me, especially when it is already 70° at 5 a.m.     What I really got a kick out of was the fact that Brinkley was dragging behind me the last 1/2 mile.   That never happens.  Big grin

There is a pond on our route and yesterday I heard what was either a very loud bullfrog, or a duck in distress.   It even stopped Brinkley in his tracks, listening to it.   This morning it was just as loud.   It must be a frog.   

Happy  Thursday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

It must be 4 mile Thursday!  Me too Mary.  4 miles easy at 9:09 pace.  I suppose I'll do 10 or so on Sunday, but I'm really trying to keep the runs short and easy. Gotta get my Mojo back.  If anyone sees it, email it to me please! 

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good zipping Hopeful.  Thanks for getting us started today.

Mojo's are hard to find at this time of year.....possibly not the season for finding them Breger.  Actually that would be an interesting topic.    From veteran runners.......what time of year have you noticed you are energized and what time of year are you seemingly hunting for that Mojo?

Sorry to break off the 4 mile trend but I slightly went a little further.   5.55 miles.

Quick calculations this morning says I am at:

45 % of weekly goal

47% of monthly goal

19% of yearly goal

16% of life goal

Not pretty, but better than zippo % or having no goals at all.

Supposed to be 96 degrees here today....almost hot enough that if the heat gets to you while on your run ...you will start to  "shake & bake"

Have just a wonderful summer day wherever you are.

Vista

...NOTE TO SELF-

Never come to this website

directly from an OrthoDoc's HipReplacement website.

the short version:

''You can Pay Us Now,

or

You Can Pay Us Later''

meh.

=============

.......20min xbike standing.......

VENT ON:

..apparently

I will be using poolrunning and biking to fix my Run and Hurt Days

VENT OFF:

double meh.

.....................good running guys....................I'll get over this in a coupla days......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I look my best blurry!

I MIGHT not run today.  Aaaah!  My legs just might need a break from the pounding.  Nothing majoy, no worries.  Phooey!  I'm headed to the gym for my UE bike ride then joining Tom(in spirit) for some deep water running.  That will have to do.  If I run it will be an evening jog.  I'll have to wait until my inner coach speaks to me to decide.

Zip-zip-zip!  Gotta run!

Kristen

Mariposai

The jazz and wine concert last night at the local winery was fabulous. The Jazz band was quiet good, the wine was not as good as the King States version I opened on Sunday, but good enough. It was "girls night out" a a few friends and I and we had a blast. I was the designated driver so, just one glass of their reserve was enough for me.

I was too tired to wake up this morning, so I slept in until 6am. I will RAW today...I know I will pay the consequences since it suppossed to get to 81F by 5pm...maybe I will just take the day off from running.

Go Paraguay!!!!! AAmos, send me that excuse to stay home...I know I will not be a productive employee, anyway until the game ends. I am going to have a short SKYPE session with papa for the first half of the game.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hey All - We're in Squaw Valley.  Made it here in the late afternoon yesterday.  It's a longer drive than I thought, but even though we stopped for lunch and groceries, it was a 9-hr drive.  It's gorgeous here.  Everyone is up at the moment, so I hope we get out for a short run here soon. (Unfortunately, the folks I'm with don't agree with me.  Oh well.)  Karen and I have to attend a mandatory crew meeting at 2:30, and we're all going to take the tram up to the top for some kind of ceremony at noon.  I have my camera, an empty 2 GB photo card, and my clicking finger and ready to go!

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Nobody's got mojo today, including Brinkley, apparently.

It was cloudy, cool & breezy this morning, so I decided it was a good day for a longish (for me lately) run instead of the bike ride I'd been thinking of. The run turned out to be quite changeable: at mile 0 it was cloudy and cool. At mile 2 the clouds blew away and the sun came out full force; luckily that was about where I went down a very shady trail section; at mile 4 I came back out of the shade to find that the clouds had moved in again, making it more comfortable. At mile 6 it started raining lightly, increasing to a good soaking over the next 2 miles. And by the end at mile 8 it was clear sunshine again!

So, 8 miles at an easy 10-minute or so pace with some faster segments and some slower in there somewhere.

Anyone going to try that Google Phone service? Sounds intriguing. One feature is that someone can call you on your Google phone number and it will ring all your phones that you have listed with the service (i.e., home phone, work phone, and cell phone)! I might try this just for fun to see how it works. It even has its own voicemail, and they can turn the voicemail into an email message or something. It has more features if you use a smartphone and can install their app. How do they do this stuff for free, anyway?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Nice run Mary!

Leslie, pretty exciting!

Haven't seen your mojo Breger, maybe you left it in San Fransico.

Erika - your 22% humidity made me laugh, I don't think we ever see that around here, unless maybe it goes below freezing.

In accordance with the laws of running, since I had a great run two days ago, I had the carpiest of runs today.  Got up early (well for me - 6:15) to run 4 miles and I only managed to shuffle thru 2.  My left knee was aching, especially on the downhills and it was throwing my gait all off.  I felt like I was doing a fast walk/shuffle.  Then my lower back on the outside started to ache.  Decided to turn around after a mile and perhaps finish the run tonight.  I was even sucking wind at such a slow pace.  I am having a hard time getting my weekly mileage back up there, oh well!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

dg.

Mary, nice zippy run!   Running through the windy dark woods would be weird to me too.  

So this is why I almost bailed at 4?   It's 4 mile day & I didn't get the memo again?    Well that is certainly a relief! 

I wonder how Holly did last night. 

I think you're doing the right thing, Byll.   You work so hard that even your mojo is tired.   it's probably just napping, but if it shows up here...    well, I'd be tempted to borrow it but that wouldn't be fair. 

Vista you didn't get the memo either?   Who's in charge of this?

tw, I'm sorry.    vent all you'd like.   one of those days when you wondered why you bothered chewing? (emo)  that's how I was feeling this morning!   hey I haven't heard Emo do standup.  will have to look for that.

Kristen I hope your inner coach is wiser than mine is sometimes!   or maybe mine is just quiet & I drown it out. ;-)

Nancy that sounds wonderful.    and maybe yes take a break today.  nice you get to talk to your papa.

Leslie, have a great time!   oh boy, you take the best pictures!

well a rough one this morning.  my plan called for in essence 8 miles, it was a ladder run done by minutes.  Didn't sleep well last night again & my hr has been too high lately (this was re-written, first time definitely gave the wrong impression!  )  .  69F & really humid, so not great but not bad.    I did 2 miles at what felt like 10K effort during the first 4 mile loop, but felt so bad I almost stopped.     Decided to do another 2 easy, & that was ok.  so, 6.16, at about a 10 min. pace.    My polar & accessories are in New York.   without me.  

mta, nice run Doug!   that phone thing sounds cool.   no idea how they do it for free..   ok you try it & let us know!

(((enke)))  we should've run together.  

wannabe, congrats on the new nephew.  Also, nice long run yesterday.

Yesterday, in the early afternoon, I was sitting in the recliner and felt it vibrate a little (it doesn't have a massage mode).  I wondered if I imagined it.  My next thought was that a strong gust of wind had shaken the house but there was almost no wind.  Then, it happened again.  I wondered if one of the cats had gotten under the chair and bumped it but that wasn't it.  I said something to my wife and she hadn't felt anything.  A few hours later, a crawl line went across the TV that there had been a minor earthquake in Canada and there was a little action in MI, New England, Ohio, and PA.  Since some of you are in the affected area, I wonder if any of you felt it.

This morning, it was about 70° and humid as reported by roch, dg, and hopeful.  I was one of those with no mojo.  I should have done at least 8 miles but decided before I went out the door I wasn't going to do that.  I ended up with 5 miles in just under 52 minutes for a 10:23 pace. 

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS 

Quick calculations this morning says I am at:

16% of life goal

Not pretty, but better than zippo % or having no goals at all.

By my calculations Vista plans on living well past 250 years old. 

I ALMOST made it 4, but decided to quit at 3.8 as further involved not being able to get water for another .2 miles!

Then, I swam a mile. Then I did an hour of zumba,  And to make my afternoon nap come quicker, I then did an hour of yoga.   

Tom W. and Cranium 

Finally, today I am getting my Garmin Forerunner 110!  It has been backordered for over a month.  I am so excited.  No more having to map out my routes on this wonderful site after I run.  Now I will see just how really slow I am and I can post my splits like you big time runners out there.  

Vista - my mojo left on Memorial Day and I probably won't find it again until Halloween. 

TammyinGP

My running log is looking so sad and lop-sided  . . . I got up early 5:30 (early for me and did you know it's LIGHT out at 5:30??! I had no idea! lol)  and went for a short run - only 3.7 - hills and then topped it off with walking lunges. That woke my legs up this morning. And my heart.  Nice to get the run in early before it heats up. Mid to upper 80's and even getting into low 90's this weekend. It was a nice cool 58 or so at 5:45 a.m.

Two more days to get quite a bit of work done before leaving for running camp on Saturday morning. If I'm able I hope to leave work early tomorrow to have some extra time at home, not only packing, but hanging out with my uber cool son before I leave for 4 days.

Enjoy Leslie!! I'm so envious!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary – outrunning your dogs, now, heh?

Vista – definitely January and February is my low-mojo time.  I just get to where I dread layering all those layers and heading out into the bitter darkness.

TW – have you had a hip replacement?  Or are you just considering it?

Roch – very kewl what they can do these days.

TomS – in Dayton, an underground explosion that caused a power outage happened right about the same time, and many people mistook that for the earthquake.

Fussyrunner – that’s quite a workout morning!

Tammy – that camp sounds like fun!  I hope you will write up a short report about it when you get back, to tell us of your adventures.

5.25 slow and gentle miles for me today (ave 10:58) in 73°.  My knees are good now, but my glutes and hamstrings had some stiffness.  Guess I know where my "sprinting power" comes from.  

Last night when I was cooking dinner, DH was taunting DD, saying that he was going to go to the pool since it was so hot.  He kept on and on about it as I looked at him, aghast.  “You know the kids and I are going to the race, right?” I said, “Why are you trying to talk her out of going?”  “I just don’t want you to get them caught up in your RUNNING ADDICTION,” he said, spitting out the words like it was something disgusting.

Running addiction?

And the really annoying thing is that if I showed up with a large pizza, a box of Krispy Kream donuts, and a stack of videos, he’d be overjoyed.  That’s HIS idea of great family fun. 

We’re still not speaking. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."