Masters Running

Saturday 4/20 Daily (Read 57 times)

Tramps

The statue is at the corner of Commonwealth and Walnut, opposite the Newton Town Hall, approx mile 19 about 1/2 mile before the Craig et al hang out.  However, you cannot see it while running up the hills, it's more obvious going down hill, which as you marathon runners know, downhill is not happening at that point.

Actually, my race was going downhill fast by that point.  Roll eyes

Ribs--I don't know what the hell he's talking about but that's a nice miter saw.

Doug--congrats on the AG win!  That's great.

Okay, break's over.

Be safe. Be kind.

I was reilieved when they got the second suspect.  I hope there are no more co-conspiritors out there.  I agree with Holly that the coverage, which mostly was just trying to fill time when there was nothing substantive to report, was a bit much.  I also must admit that I watched a lot of it hoping to hear something new.  I also agree that the Texas explosion deserved more coverage.  It's also interesting that, while this was going on, we heard almost nothing of the nutty North Korean kid leader.  Was he waiting until he could get more coverage or did the media decide he wasn't important if there was something else to talk about?

eliz, I'm glad to hear you got in a nice run.  Good job.  Mike, I hope that your rescheduled meeting with your prospetive employer goes well.  wild, impressive picture of snow but you can keep it.  MS, neat cycling road race.  wcrunner, welcome and post often.  marj, neat picture of the John Kelley statue.  roch, congrats on your AG win at Martian.

Nice long run for marj.

This morning, it was in the high 30s and fairly windy.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:33 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

wildchild

Carolyn

Norm - sorry about your HM this morning - still pretty fast, though!  Is it too late to put my money on SloHand?  Smile

Roachrunner, congrats on 1st AG!

Erika, you've got warmer weather than we do!  Actually, it's just above freezing here, but the footing would be better if it was just below freezing.  I meant to get out earlier when it was colder, but I've been cleaning and puttering around the house, and now the snow will be turning to mush.  Maybe I'll just wear Sorels and take the dogs for a walk instead of a run.

10 miles is a pretty short run for me these days, but still not effortless!  I ran 10 yesterday and it was a slog - probably because it was steep, high altitude, and on snow/slush/mud.  I'm planning 10-12 tomorrow, then just a nice easy taper week before my 50k next Saturday.  I sure hope the trails down in Colorado Springs where the race is are snow free!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Congrats on the AG hardware, Doug!

Hang in there, TW!

7 traily miles for me this morning with friends.  It was a bit muddy and very cold, but otherwise a lovely outing with good conversation and very little walking.

Oh yea, and it's snowing again!!!

2 days after hitting 71°F....go figure!

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Stumpy, our microwave has been doing that for years and I've trained everyone to ignore it.

If you're on Facebook, pardon the repetition but I'm pretty excited.  Great race this morning! 2/9 AG and 18/315 overall (there were a lot of walkers). There were no AG awards but that's okay. Chip time 24:59.73 so that's a PR for certified 5k's. I ran an uncertified course that was a little short in 24:50 once.  I almost threw up right after the finish and my quads hurt so I gave it all I had!  Here's my pace & HR. pace & HR

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

mustang sally

Bad faerie

More paper-bag-o-licious slow running this morning, with Hamish, who you'd think would have become a great running dog with eight years of training and maturity in him.  But, no.  I love the oaf, but he will never settle into the kind of relaxed companion my old Storm was.

Then I went out and jumped onto a big group ride and played with them on the way out to their cookie/water/bathroom stop.  I left them there and turned for home, knowing what I really need is a good steady work block and not the hurry-up-and-wait that can be the feel of a group ride.

Three guesses where I left the group:

I have inherited a lovely garden with my new house and am enjoying watching it do its thing this spring.  I just weed it and tidy a little here and there, but will give it this first year to show me what it has to offer.  Time to go do some work outside.

Dave59

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a toy boat, toy boat, toy boat, toy boat, toy boat.....(read the previous sentence as quick as you can out loud.)

Today: Breakfast out with Cindy and the grandkid.  Then me and the kid build a fire outside in the potbelly stove, collected sticks off the ground and burned up as many as we could.  We didn't have marshmallows, so she stuck a bagel with cream cheese on the end of a big fork and warmed it up next to the fire.  She's only 5, but you're never too young to have fun with fire. Roll eyes

Then I ran 10.3 miles, which is an eternity for me.  I did a loop down by the flooded river and took some pictures with my phone.  I haven't checked yet to see if they turned out yet.  (I took them without my glasses on so I don't know what they might have captured.)  Lots of people down there with cameras.  Half a dozen people were getting kayaks ready but it was too cold to stick around to watch.  Still some light snow out there today.

Congratulations on the AG win Roch.  Impressive to do that at one of the larger events in the area.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

There's also been a series of earthquakes around the world on the order 6.6-7.8 that have been almost completely ignored, including one in China that killed at least 157 people. One of my virtual running friends on RW is in the area on business, and if you'll pardon the pun, it really shook him up.

Meanwhile to more mundane and personal matters, just got back from a 5.1 mile recovery run. Legs felt pretty dead to begin but actually felt good at the finish. I guess that's what a recovery run is supposed to do.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Hold on...I just need to get something out of the way...

I GOT A NEW JOB!  I GOT A NEW JOB!  I GOT A NEW JOB!

Okay...now that I got that out of the way...

Nice job on your age group win, roch!  Congratulations.

Congratulations to you, too, Opie!

Hey, Tom--that was a nice pace for that 8 miler.

What's after your 50k, next weekend, wild?

I tried it Dave...I felt really silly....thanks...

I think I'm going to like wcrunner2...he has nice puns.  What?

I went for my last 12 miler before my marathon next weekend...1:32:00.

As excited as I am about my new job, I'm even more excited about a little conversation I had with Ryan, today.  He wants to run the Twin Cities Marathon, this year...and he wants me to put his training schedule together!  Now, that's exciting.

Let's see...is there anything else I wanted to say...oh, yeah--hey, Holly--one week to go...just in case you forgot.  Oh, and the low and high are both creeping up...it's up to 51 and 68...with a 40% of rain...and it's windy...and it's humid...

Okay--I gotta go and write a resignation letter.  It just dawned on me that I have never written a resignation letter...I seem to always get let go as they're going down the tubes.

Maniac 505

Mike,  that's AWSOME  Congrats.  I could never believe the things you had to put up with at the old place.

Marathon Maniac #957

Hello everybody!  Hold on...I just need to get something out of the way...

I GOT A NEW JOB!  I GOT A NEW JOB!  I GOT A NEW JOB!

YAY!!!!

And pay no attention to the weather, the forecast will change 6 times between now and then.

C-R – bummer about your HM issues, but I have to tell you, I’d kill for that time…

Roch – congratulations on your AG win!

Opie – congratulations on your 5K PR and 2nd AG!

Mustang Sally – running, swimming, biking, you must be in awesome shape.   Did you see the garden at all last year or will it be a complete surprise?    I have missed you here.

WCrunner – I read about that earthquake in China – 2200 people estimated injured. Terrible.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Bushrat Runner

I love this group, but I have a hard time keeping up with everybody...lots of interesting goings-on from all sides in here.

I hadn't run since getting home last Saturday, and before that I hadn't run since Tuesday, so today was a bit of a slog. In more ways than one. I did swim both Tuesday and Thursday this week, making it only my second two-swim week. But that doesn't really help the poor legs. Mo had checked out her favorite road and trail yesterday, and proclaimed them solid enough to run on, so we took off up Ralph Road (love these bush Alaska road names) and then out the winter trail toward Levelock. But I had absolutely no zip in the legs.

The warm day yesterday (mid 40's) was followed by a chilly (low 20's) evening, but with light winds (instead of the harder winds we had earlier in the week) it wasn't enough to solidify things very well. So we hadn't been on the trail for even a mile when my left foot busted through and got sopping wet. There is a wet foot run every spring sometime, I guess today was the day. We wandered along the trail, running along on the frozen snow surface, dancing along the edges where the snow had melted, and gingerly passing over the stream crossings. After starting out with the temperature in the low 20's and the breeze in our face, we finished with temps in the 40's and the breeze at our backs...so here is a nice photo of Mo with her jacket around her waist. I posted it specially for Ribs. I didn't take a photo of my own indiscretion, but I was right there with her.

That's a trail marker visible ahead to the right of the trail.

I made Mo take a photo of me to prove that I actually run on these outings.

My left foot found three opportunities to swim, while my right foot stayed dry the entire time. We were debating the reasons, Mo suggested my left foot is the ADHD foot and the right foot might be the star pupil foot. I'll have to monitor this situation and report back.

Today saw the introduction of a new running hat. In Kamloops on the way up with the Island Girl (new to us old airplane) I was given a lovely little hat that just happens to fit my head perfectly. That doesn't happen often...

Good runs all.

wildchild

Carolyn

Yay Mike!  Congratulations!   Smile    Maybe in your resignation letter you can say "You can take this job and shove it!  I ain't workin' here no more!"

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Meh...hey Mike, maybe think Carolyn's idea but don't write it. Congrats on the new job, I hope it's a much better match to what you want.

Nice run, Rhoon. Funny how your packed trails are the last to melt. I guess ours would be too but they're gradually plowing the bike paths around our valley. "They" being DOT, of course. I hope they do our road soon, because there's no shoulder on it and I have to drive to a non-hilly place to run. There's 4 ft of hard pack on some of the paths, with piles of hard pack boulders at the intersections. Could take awhile.

8.1 miles on the cleared bike paths today, felt great with warm temps (up to 45° I think) and I wore capris and a l/s shirt with really light gloves. Awesome! I ran one way till I came upon snow that was too soft to run on, turned around and ran back, then out another way till I got to a big puddle I didn't want to navigate, then back to DH's office and the truck, which I drove to the rec center, took a shower, then picked up DH and we went shopping, and came home.

Grilled rack of lamb, grilled sweet peppers and asparagus, Alaska red potatoes and salad for dinner. Yum! Nice bottle of Italian wine to go with an I'm a happy grrl! Got 35+ miles for the week so far with a "long run" scheduled tomorrow. Per said post to Paavo earlier, anything over 10 miles qualifies as a long run these days, so we'll see how it goes.

SteveP

Very cool Doug.

Mike has a new job!!!! SWEEETTT!

DW, Tag and I got an hour of trails in. Then she bought ten trees. Um...Oh Boy!!!!

Our foster grandson has been a part of the family for a week now and we finally got to spend the afternoon with just the three of us. His name is "Roman", 11 months old and just a doll. DSS will not allow pictures to be posted. Sadly, you'll have to take my word for it. As much as we want to be hugging on the little dude forever, I've been prayin' my tail off for his mom.

SteveP