Masters Running

Thursday 11/18/21 Blustery Runs and Workouts (Read 35 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

No run for me today, just about 30 minute of upper body weights.

Jump on in and tell us how your day is going....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dnaff

Thanks for the start Holly.  My day is going great so far.  Though my kids say never add the 'so far' part as that jinxes everything.

BTY - I have an entire rant about freshmen not making a team.  But I'll save it.  Seriously though, if they don't make the team as freshmen, I feel a majority will give up on trying again.  Sure, there are a few that will be spurred on by the disappointment but I don't think it is true in general.

Sunny and 32 here and it brings a wide variety of attire on my neighborhood runners.  Some in full on winter gear, some still holding on to shorts and tshirts albeit long sleeved.  As I slow down overall I seem to opt for more layers.  I get so chilled on the walk portions of my running.

The leaves are raining off the maple tree today. And city pick up is tomorrow.  I think I will let them drop for a few more hours and then rake when they are thicker on the ground.  Seems more efficient anyway.  Or maybe I just like to procrastinate.

Marathon Maniac #957

Sunny and 32 here and it brings a wide variety of attire on my neighborhood runners.  Some in full on winter gear, some still holding on to shorts and tshirts albeit long sleeved.  As I slow down overall I seem to opt for more layers.  I get so chilled on the walk portions of my running.

Yes, exactly.  As I moved to mostly walk-runs this year, I have gotten in the habit of adding a layer to what I would normally wear to run, because of just that - on the walking portions I get too cold, otherwise.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I got nuthin'.   . . . although last night I looked at black kitties up for adoption at a local shelter . . .

I've got your waxing moon for you

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

Very tired and busy today. Walked a mile to keep the forward progress going on the fall challenge.

That's about it.

MurrayM

5K easy trot today.

Yup, extra layer season for sure. Three shirts today and gloves for the whole run. Sunrise touching snow covered western mountains and icy puddles on the shaded valley floor, but blue sky above...FINALLY!

Tramps

Thanks for the start, Holly.

Unseasonably warm and very blustery here today.  It was like riding in a blizzard at times as the leaves were swirling around me. 15 miles today.

I'd mentioned a couple years back that the administrative assistant at our school I'd worked with every day for several years was raped and murdered in her home.  The case finally came to trial this week and the guilty verdict will at least bring some closure for family and friends. Suzie was great at her work and always a cheerful presence in the office. We'd often talk running, hiking, and kayaking, all of which she enjoyed. She'd started running longer distances and asked for training advice, as she planned to eventually run the Richmond Marathon. She never got the chance.

Carpe diem, people.

Be safe. Be kind.

mrrun

Holly - thx for the start

Tramps - glad the family can have closure.  we also had unseasonably warm weather and then our morning class was cancelled.

I took off for a 10K power walk and then met Henry on the Boston Common where we saw a crowd of people.

truck pulling Christmas tree that comes from Nova Scotia

tree with Nova Scotia flag. It was going to take an hour to raise the tree so we came home instead.

history of the reason Boston gets the tree: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Christmas_Tree

have a greta day! marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly, dnaff and, in few years Murray too - one of the benefits of more walking than running <<<(ed note: all)>>> is not so much worry about shirts, layers, etc. to minimize uncomfortable down the to the small of your back.

ps Holly - it just dawned on me that, in addition to only buying four pairs of running shoes in the last 44 years (1977/1979/1981 and 1990), I probably saved even more money in the annual triathlons from 1978-2019 by just using the bikes I had or the dumpster rescues and no wetsuits so the only triathlon expenditures has been a pair of $15 clip-on aerobars in 1990 to replace the broomstick/PCV piping one I had Rube-Goldberg'ed in the early years.  However, I'd be afraid to add up the entry fees of 44 years or marathons, 5K/10K/halfs, ultras and tri's.

This morning's waxing gibbous increased for 97% to 99%  but overnight cloud cover covered it up so, instead of going down to the lakeside to watch it set, I spent the morning on massive leafing and yarding before this afternoon's rains but, with the 100% full moon coming up tonight, they're saying it might clear up for the weekend.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Henrun

As Marj posted, glorious day here approaching 70 and 3.3 mile run before I met her. We both took the subway home.

What a horrible thing, Tramps.  I'm glad for the verdict!

Thanks for the start, Holly.  I was in a rush this morning to get my run done (treadmill because cold and rainy outside) and get to a group thing at church.  Made it.

My new Apple watch just arrived, so I need to figure it out.

I bet that tree will be  beautiful in Boston!   Ours is coming from Michigan this year- maybe from Steve's property!  Smile   Should arrive about December 9.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BTY

Good afternoon, Masters.

Boy it was really tempting to get on my bike at lunchtime, with the temperature in the low 60's, sunshine, not much wind and hardly any clouds, but resisted.  I went to the fitness center instead and got in an upper body strength workout (flat bench press, 30 degree incline and 45 degree incline bench presses with dumbbells, overhead presses on a machine that really hits the deltoids nicely without the pain that I get using dumbbells or barbells, and flyes on another machine.

I think I'm 100% over the whatever-I-had yesterday morning.

Quite the discussion going on at our church these days.  We are using masks whenever anyone is using the church for any reason, whether Sunday services or bible studies, other gatherings....and some do not want to wear masks as they are already vaccinated and boosted.  It's generally older people who do not want to wear the masks and I know some are going to other churches now because they feel we are giving in to some external control.  What seems to be lacking from the conversation is that the purpose of masking as I understand it is to protect others, not yourself.  I think it's mitigation, not elimination.  We have many attendees in their 70's, 80's, and 90's, and I wear a mask in church to protect them, or give them a sense of protection, anyway.  I think people have a right to know whether the establishment they are entering has a masking policy or not, and whether they enforce it or not. The restaurants and stores around here do not require masks if you are vaccinated, and so people entering them know that there will be unvaccinated unmasked people sharing the oxygen with them.  They can make an informed decision about entering.  I don't claim to have great knowledge about the subject but I'm not greatly impressed by the folks who do claim to have that great knowledge, either.  It's my least favorite thing about being a leader in the church.

Hoping to get over to the pool after work and get in a 3,000 yard workout, if time allows.  Not sure whether GN will want to go along, since he's got a free afternoon after three days of tryouts.  But DW has the day off and I can easily convince her that they need to have some quality time together this afternoon, raking leaves in our lawn or something.  That should change his mind.

Leslie! Yes yes! Black kittehs are the best! 

Reporting in with a 24-minute EZ jog on the rooftop track of the Hilton. Pleasant 55 degrees.

BTY

2800 yards of swimming including a 6:00 backstroke interval to see how far I could make it in that amount of time.   Surprisingly, I finished 350 yards in exactly 6:00.  I started out at a strong 1:36/100 yard pace but quickly faded after 200 yards and the last 150 took 2:40, a 1:47/100 pace.   I haven't been swimming backstroke that much lately other than the 600 yards of pull only, which I guess is something.  No intervals though.

GN and I are planning to go to his Science teacher's side gig Ice Cream shop tonight.   I've never been even though almost all of my kids had him for a Science Teacher at some point.

SteveP is a waxing moon like when moonbeams can detail your car?

I managed a 4 mile run. Nothing hurt during or after. But I can tell my calf must have some scar tissue in it from how oddly stiff it feels, running or not.

That is it folks. See you tomorrow.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/