Masters Running

Mon 2/25 runs and such.... (Read 606 times)

SeeMomGo, VRAA stands for "Virtual Race Across America". Participants sign up and state how much running/cross training they will do and they are placed on Teams. Then there is a "virtual race across America" as the people train. For example, if I run a training run of 6 miles today, that moves my team along six miles across America. It is a great motivator that keeps everyone training, especially during the tough Winter months. For more info, go to Kickrunners.com and navigate to the VRAA forum. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

seemomgo

Thanks Bergermeister!! Sounds like a fun way to stay motivated!
      spacityrunner

Went out for a quick 3 miler down to the waterfront. Felt like spring out there. Saw a few of the army gods guys out today. They are all wearing shorts. Very nice scenery. Big grin To all who commented on my rant yesterday. Thanks Well for some reason the quote did not pick up holly's name...but this is from Holly's post last night
        And are we going to hear more about this Crystal Park Tri?
        Holly: Crystal Park is the name of the sports club I swim at, and the tri is whirlpool (10 min), cold plunge (5-10 min) and steam room (10-15 min).

Trails Rock!

dg.

aww, thanks (& hi!) everybody. busy at work, but smiling. Big grin ..nice run, Liz. Wink
          TammyinGP

Tet - I may have been 4th to last in yesterdays training run/HM, but this Southern Oregon running club is a fast group. Even my BEST HM time would have placed me towards the last 3rd of the pack. I won't reveal my time until you've completed your MIHM, but I am not so sure my time makes it an automatic win in our fun little wager. John is currently injured and should not be running at all, but he did show up on the bike path at about mile 11.5 and run a very short distance with me - at a slow pace. He should not even have done that, but he's a great friend to have driven out to the course and find me I have 15 miles on the schedule for this Saturday and I think I'm going to run this loop course again. It's a great route in a very scenic area. Soundie - we had a great time at the game on Saturday night. DS is 8 and very much in to basketball right now, so he was in absolute heaven to be there and had so much fun. He loved all the tricks and antics they play. I even bought him one of those outrageously overpriced basketballs so he could get as many signatures as he could after the game. Unfortunately, he only got 4 signatures and wasn't able to even get close to Special K or Scooter - his two favs. Today is another rest day for me. My son has a basketball game this evening. I wonder if he'll mimic any of the plays he saw at the Globetrotters game?

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly: Crystal Park is the name of the sports club I swim at, and the tri is whirlpool (10 min), cold plunge (5-10 min) and steam room (10-15 min).
              Ahhh...now that’s MY kind of tri...Smile
              Holly - I too am cleaning carpets this morning!!! What an awful thing to have in common! Sad
              Our carpets are cream-colored, so not much better. I have done one thing right, though – I put a towel down near the back door and when Dexter-dog comes in from outside I say, “Towel” and he dutifully stops on the towel, so I can wipe off his feet before he gets to the carpet. If only I had thought to train the kids this way....Sad Breger - I thought about that last time they did the VRAA, but that would mean posting at Kickrunner every day, and I can barely keep up at RA, let alone try to post on 2 forums.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Crystal Park is the name of the sports club I swim at, and the tri is whirlpool (10 min), cold plunge (5-10 min) and steam room (10-15 min).
                Heh, that's what I thought it was. My DH calls that the old man triathlon, but he does the hot tub, steam room, sauna. Big grin No running today for me either. Not really a rest day, but that might be what it ends up being. I had so much planned this weekend and got almost nothing done around the house. How does that happen? So tonight I'll be packing and sorting stuff to give away as the goodwill pickup driver will visit our house on Friday when I'm gone. Gotta get everything ready before I leave! BTB, hope your bug is short-lived... I too hardly ever get sick and it bothers me to no end when all my co-workers show up hacking, coughing and sneezing. And we have a very generous sick leave policy. Grrrr! I'm a hand-washing fool around here. C-Mom... white carpets? Oh my... I have light tan, sort of "vanilla" actually, and it looks horrible. I've sort of given up. At least the dog sort of matches the carpet so the hair doesn't show. Embarrassed I'm getting so excited about Arizona, I get butterfly tummy every time I think of it. Hear that Mariposai?
                  "Breger - I thought about that last time they did the VRAA, but that would mean posting at Kickrunner every day, and I can barely keep up at RA, let alone try to post on 2 forums."
                  Holly, they have set up a very cool webpage where you simply enter your points - no explanations or postings even if you don't want to. It is very quick - especially if you have it in your "Favorites" list. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mariposai

I'm getting so excited about Arizona, I get butterfly tummy every time I think of it. Hear that Mariposai?
                    butterfly tummy is good to have right now...you lucky girl...running among the best of the best.. (or PARTYING with the best of the best I should say). When are you arriving to Arizona? It looks like your leg of the relay is going to be a blast. Just be careful with the downhill part...and...don't drink too much the day of the race. Is my friend Peter coming also?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Morning all. Tim you're not at work I hope? Sad I hope it passes quickly. Rest, rest, rest. Nothing to report yet, but I am anxious to get out and run today. I feel great. And whaddayaknow, I've actually slept pretty well the last few nights. Shocked It's Monday so that means a run outside, a row and then yoga at the club. (I pay $80 a month to use the club once a week... gahhhhh). I'll head to Discovery Park for some nice trail time and sun. It's been a few weeks since I've been there. I did a number on my quad Saturday as I was heading out on my run with my group. Too busy chatting and not paying attention and ran smack into a bike park pole right in front of the bike shop. Graceful. It took a day to show up, but now have a lovely huge bruise on my quad to go along with my freaky knee bump (the one that the dr. says is nothing (fluid) but it's still there 6 months later). Right leg is looking great just in time for Arizona realy weather. Roll eyes Anyone know of any bruise-ridding magic tricks? dg, glad to see you posting when you can. Sometimes it's a step back in injury recovery before a big step ahead. Smile From the sound of it, you are going about it the right way. Smile Lynden.... what am I gonna do about you? Tongue That's a recovery run? Bob, good luck with the analysis. Would like to see you have a great run in Boston. CNY, oh yes, thanking his mother, his grandmother, his country. As soon as he starting talking in that beautiful Castillian accent... I was all gaga. Tongue He's not even that great looking. Sometimes it's everything else. eta: hmmmm. how many smilies can Sounder use today????
                      evanflein

No, Peter wanted to come down, but we had to decide between that or Boston pretty much. So he's definitely coming to Boston, but is staying home with the kids this week. Just printed off the maps/elevations of my legs. Not too hard, mostly straight stretches along the road with a turn at the end for the exchange. So much of this is just "learn as you go" I think... wondering about things like potty breaks, showers, food, sleeping in the van vs. being up to drive/cheer on other runners... I'm sure it's just a case of "go with it" and see what happens!
                          Tim, take care of that flu bug! I recovered pretty quickly, but my DW was really hit hard and it was definitely the sickest she's been since I've known her in the last 28 years. I felt like a "single parent" last week as I'd hurry home from work and then have to fix dinner and do the other household chores. Some good news: I might be close to a comeback. Having the flu might have given me a false setback. One of the symptoms is muscle aches, and while I was down with it my injured hamstring seemed to hurt worse and it was pretty discouraging. But this weekend I was back to normal and now everything's feeling pretty good. The only problem is that now I'm a little bit afraid to try running. What if I only think that I'm healed and come back in limping again? I think that I'll at least give it another week of cross-training, and then give it a go maybe next Monday morning...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tammy - you'll find that your self discipline in being able to maintain such a good training pace in a fast half mary race will be as good, if not better, preparation for your upcoming inaugural marathon in Eugene than all the 20-and-more milers we're supposed to be able to do too. I'm looking forward to helpin' make sure you can do it again then, . . . at least for the first five miles! In the meantime, here's how dive and I get into cycling shape after a winter of tapering, . . . and it's not even the steepest hill of the annual 33 mile Chilly Hilly around Bainbridge Island. Seattle Times photo

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I felt like a "single parent" last week as I'd hurry home from work and then have to fix dinner and do the other household chores. ...
                              I think that's more like "feeling like a wife/mother"....Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

WEEEEEEEEEEE!!! All those bicyclist's are going the wrong way though Tongue Looks like some of the hills I did on Whidbey once upon a time, during the MS150. well, they might not have been THAT steep - but sure felt like it! btw: looks like the week of Aug18th is when a Seattle vacation would be in the works for us. I think the drag race my husband is in is on Aug 22-23 out in Bremerton, so we'd likely be there the whole week prior if we can make this work. I'm sure there's bound to be a race somewhere in Seattle during that time, right?

Tammy