Masters Running

Tues May 6 Daily Runs (Read 444 times)

The Jogger

Morning Gang Out for an undulating road run. Took it easy as ever, very warm today, nice actually. Went out at 07:30 which is very early for me and liked it. 6m 01:07:37 @ 11:16 pace AHR 147 68% Good Runs All Roy

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Nice run this morning Roy! When is your marathon? It must be coming up fairly quick. Out for 4 miles this morning with my neighbor and Brinkley. We saw MrBlackCat today. Well, Brinkley saw him first and you can pretty much imagine the rest of that story!! Avg. pace 9:45 - avg. HR 165. Seeing the sun rising is an added bonus in the morning!! Cheers! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Great runs Roy and Mary. Beautiful today but the run will have to wait till tonight at 6 as I am running with the coach's group tonight at the track. I believe I am running 800 Yasso's tonight. Could be a tough night after Sunday's 38K er. Not sure I will have the speed in the legs. Thunderstorms and hot are predicted for tonight also. Time to go get the girls ready for school. Hope everyone has a great day. Enjoy. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

.....roy//.......Dr Bookspan did the article anyway, BUT at the bottom of the article are the links for knee/hammy/hip problems....... http://www.healthline.com/blogs/exercise_fitness/2008/05/runner-fixes-more-pain-with-straighter.html?utm_source=blogs&utm_medium=healthline&utm_campaign=blogalerts&utm_term=Runner+Fixes+More+Pain+With+Straighter+Push-Off ============ ,,,,,,oh, ps,,,,,,,,,,,30-min nordictrak ...........good running guys......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Nice run Roy, Hopeful, Brinkley and Mr Blackcat Roll eyes Big grin Day off from work and running today. Another day of rest after my half marathon. I feel good however but I earned a couple days rest. I think I will start a training phase geared toward 5k - 5 miles for some summer races. At the Flying Pig half I couldn't run faster than 8 minute pace even downhill Confused My plan was to go down at near a 7 minute pace. I need more speed work. When I started running 18 years ago I had good speed (58 second 400) but thought 3 miles was long. Worked my way up to a 5:45 mile & 19:40 5k, when my times started going up I decided to try some longer stuff. Where did the speed go? >: (I've gone full cycle now 14 halfs & 2 fulls. Now my goal is to run as many years as I can Smile Race because it reenforces the committment and set goals because you have to have target. As Yogi said "if you don't know where you're going you might not get there" Thanks for reading, I hate writing to myself Big grin ps. Holly Congrats on a excellent pacing job, that was very kind & Bob speedy recovery, please! Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Good morning, all! Roy - very nice run to start us off this morning - thanks! Bob - glad the surgery went well, and I hope you aren't dealing with too much pain today. I'm treadmilling cause that is the best way for me to stick to recovery paces after the half marathon. dg - your pace is definitely not crawling - I remember doing 14 and 15 minute miles - now that's crawling! Jesse decided she just had to go out at 3:00 am and then again at 3:45am. That's the first time she's asked to go out in the middle of the night, and she wasn't kidding. I think the boarding kennel food didn't agree with her. At any rate, I didn't get any sleep after the first outdoor visit, and I'm feeling a little droopy this morning. 7.25 easy recovery miles on the treadmill. I'm looking forward to a relaxing yoga session for lunch. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Tall – Bart Yasso was signing autographs at the Flying Pig expo, but I couldn’t remember what a Yasso 800 was, so I was afraid to approach. Confused Lemme tell you what my new house has that my old house does NOT have – STAIRS! Didn’t seem like so many until I went up and down them about 20 times carrying boxes last night....NOT, btw, what I would recommend as a marathon recovery plan..... Big grin DH is taking the day off work today with a friend to move, so we should be sleeping there tonight, although chaos will reign for several days yet. The house needs a thorough cleaning before I unpack much into it. I filled the entire vacuum cleaner bag last night just vacuuming the bedrooms. Of course, I hate to see the dust bunnies that show up in OUR house when the furniture is moved, but I won’t leave them for the next owners to see. Embarrassed 5 recovery-paced miles (ave 10:44) on my last running of the old well-worn loop. (sniff, sniff)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hello all. I was pretty busy with work yesterday and so did not get a chance to comment on the dailies. Alas, today looks no better. So I will be brief here 11.31 miles. I am slowly getting my distance back up. Good news was this route has three hills the second of which comes after 7.5 miles and I felt strong enough to really run up it. So I am getting more and more hopeful that my conditioning has not been too seriously trashed by my month plus off. Holly let us know how your first jaunt up and down the hill outside your house goes. My runs are all like that. From my place you have to go up a small but steep hill. Then down about 125 foot hill. Of course when I return I have to up the 125 foot hill to finish up! Just think next time you do a race and see a hill you will think, "This is nothing, I run worse than it every day!" It does help. Smile

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Morning! Sarge ....I think some people are really fast at shorter distances, some fast at longer distances and a few are fast at both. I know long distance training does not incorporate as much fast running as you might need for the 5K or mile. Some, like DaveinAA, backed off marathon training to focus on the mile with excellent results. Others say to run a fast mile, train for a marathon. I bet SR can set us straight on this. I know my "sweet spot" is the 13.1 mi or 20K races. Twocat and Roy, lookin good! I find a nice hill in the first 2 miles of warm-up really helps the rest of the running. It just gets the blood flowing and legs kicked into gear. 6.2 mi in 50:55 (8:13 pace AHR 156, Max 172) 2.2 mi at 9:03 with Tory, then 4 mi averaging 7:45 (8:03 slowest, 7:19 fastest mile)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

good morning! Roy, nice run. was it pain free? do you have a new e-mail address? Mary, how's your back? Twocat glad you are doing well & that you took time to post. Holly, that's tough. um, that's what you have kids for? oh Sue, thanks. that was nice to hear. (read). Poor Jesse & mom. hope it's cleared up soon. I know... after the first trip out you keep listening. Hi Erika! thanks for the reminder. you are definitely right. somewhere in my head i was thinking that i didn't need to cut back until I got to some undefined level. in another part of my head I knew better, but that part was inaccessible. (packed in lead) A little along those lines, today is a rest day. I'd rather cut back on the cross-training than the running. it's be kind to hammies day. Could I ask for opinions? I've been running EOD (M-W-F) for the the longer ones, adding in Sunday recently but that's shorter & easier. problem is, since I'm still using the track, each run is in the same direction, that is their schedule. would it be more important to switch directions, (having some longer days back to back) or to keep the current schedule? I'm stuck with m-w-f because the gym opens too late on the weekends. if it's critical I could go then I guess, but would much rather not.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Dg - my back is feeling better. Not 100% but much better than it was. Thanks for asking! Holly - When we moved, I didnt' think the cleaning would ever end! We also moved into a house with stairs - you can count it as cross training. I recently bought a new vacuum and I told Dh that I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love how clean it gets the carpet (looks like brand new) but hate how long it takes to get it that clean. It has a censor light that goes green when it is clean - I'm so anal that I can't stop until every section is green! Roll eyes {{{Jesse}}} Wink ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

King of PhotoShop

Sarge and Perch, it was Zatopek who said if you want to run a fast mile, train like a marathoner. There is another saying from thoroughbred horse racing, "There are horses for courses, and courses for horses," meaning that as Perch says, we all have our optimal event. Sarge, maybe you are one of those fast twitch guys who excels at the track events. I have no idea. But I will say that when someone underperforms in running at any given time, they almost always say, "I need to do some more speed." This may or may not be true, and even if it is, it should not be any kind of speed, but a series of controlled workouts that follow a strong base-building period. I say this over and over because I follow what Lydiard wrote on the subject. If you are in a state of uncertainty about what to do, why not go out and buy a good book on the subject. Daniels Running Formula by Jack Daniels is excellent, and for basic theory, Lydiard's second book is also good. (His first one is excellent too, but it is hard to write a plan from it and many people found it confusing.) Holly, let me tell you what a nice guy Bart Yasso is and how approachable. One day at our club we were sitting around after the group run and someone brought up the definition of Yasso 800's and there was much discussion about the interval between sets. One of my friends said, "hang on, I'll ask him." She took out her mobile, called him up and said, "Bart, someone here has a question about Yasso 800's," and handed the guy her phone. Bart took the time to go over the whole thing and answered everyone's questions. He is a really good guy. Next time you see him, tell him you are a friend of Spareribs. Planned day off today, but the Saint and I decided to do a short, brisk walk to help her shake her legs out after her race. Big thunder and lightning storm got us soaked and we made a beeline back to the house. Spareribs
                          Dave59

9:10am 46° light rain 3 miles 28:55 (with a couple 1 minute walks due to sore shins) I've been busy but lurking. I need to post enough so if there is an FE at the Crim or some other Michigan race I can show up without being totally unknown. Roll eyes

9 miles this morning...7:51 pace...then a nice 1 mile walk afterwards for reward...
                              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

8.5 miles this morning with my running partner. It was her longest run to date. I was a little nervous, because this was the hilliest long run I've done. It felt great, though! It took us 1:35:06. I could have kept going farther, but I didn't since it's my cutback week. It was nice to be able to tell Martha that it DOES get easier if you persevere! I never would have expected 8 1/2 miles to feel so easy! BEAUTIFUL morning in Maine - temp was 43 degrees when we started, 56 when we finished. Bright sunshine and lots of daffodils. Smile Smile