Masters Running

Tuesday, March 29, '16 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

There seems to be a lot of balancing going on, between illnesses & injuries and the need/desire to train. So be smart (as you all always are) and get healthy so you can run like the wind again. The exceptions, of course, are Aamos who, with or without daunting bridges, is an award-winner every time she runs, and Tet who, with the wisdom of the ages, skips training almost altogether and just runs and walks and bikes and keeps on having a unique perspective on life, as well as adventures with GS and DD.

Is the volcanic eruption in Alaska affecting any of our friends there? Evanflein? Rhoon?

Great Scottsdale shot, Tselbes.

I learned yesterday that a woman we know who passed away late last week had walked the NH coastline (all 18 miles of it) on her 80th birthday (6 years ago). I was thinking that it might be a good way to celebrate any birthday, and to honor Anne's boundless energy and enthusiasm.

This evening, we're going to a celebration for the Ass't Director and IT guy at our town library who is retiring after 37 years there. He's going to work full-time (instead of part-time) for his brother's race timing firm that we use for our races. So I guess I'll still be seeing a lot of him.

5 and a scootch RW miles this morning in 43F temps and strong, swirling and gusty winds, but also under a big sky with some fast-moving wispy white clouds lit by the half moon still high overhead. I had absolutely no sproink this morning, and it felt like every step was a bit of a struggle (with or without the wind). So I shortened my route a bit and went home and did a lot of serious stretching. Tomorrow's another day...

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

52F

6.16 miles

56:55

The rocket scientist is still sick. He was awakened at 0200 by a coughing fit. Poor guy. I am concerned that this is not bacterial because he only has one dose of the zithromycin left and still seems to be racked by respiratory congestion and this rib aching cough. I am concerned about the sweats he seems to get intermittently night and day.

The next three weekends are packed with activity, too. I am wondering how we might need to modify our plans.

This weekend: Nephew's wedding in Dublin, Ohio.

10 April:  Marathon Relay in Reston. (Hiya Aamos!)

16 April: Hiking 30 miles on the Appalachian Trail.

I fear I might have to run Ralph's leg and my own at the marathon relay!

But really all I want is for him to feel better.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

And Mike E went to Dunwoody Institute...which is nowhere near Syracuse...but I do like oranges.  (Sorry--I just wanted to refer to myself in the third person, and this was my chance...I don't think I'll ever do it again)

Stumpy don't play that third person, either.   He's actually from Rochester.  Which depending on which way you're traveling is either the western gateway to Central NY or the eastern gateway to Western NY.   The name, Stumpy, however IS based on the forestry school.  As a point of interest, Rib's DW, The Saint, is a fellow alum.

4 miles in a breezy 42°.  Toe is still sore, but didn't hurt enough to stop me.  10K in a week and a half might be interesting.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

By the way....

Yeah, yeah, yeah,  Syracuse, blah blah blah, CNY, nice gal but...

Dear daughter (a devout Hokie) married dear son in law (unfortunately a University of Virginia Cavalier (Wahoo)

And so when dear daughter sent me this text on Sunday night:

"My husband" looks so sad right now."

I admit it. I was cheering for UVA. In fact, as long as they aren't playing Virginia Tech or William and Mary?  I will cheer for my SIL's team.

Go (gulp) Virginia!  (And. Because I am a loyal Cleveland fan. I quite familiar with the consolation one feels when one says, "There's always next year.)

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Rocket Scientist}}}  Those awful coughs are the worst.  DD had a bad cold recently that came with a terrible cough that the cough medicine wouldn't touch.  (I realize this was not the same thing RS has, but it was still a terrible cough.)  I was finally driven to slather her feet with Vicks and put socks on her before she went to bed.  This may be an old wive's tale, but it seems to work, and DD refuses to have it on her chest or neck.

4.1 miles for me on the TM today.

On a personal note, I seem to be struggling lately.  Work stress, personal issues, marital issues, family issues, possibly just menopausal hormonal issues, I don't know, but I am struggling with some depression, and have been for some time.  I don't really have a close girlfriend to lean on, and DH is not a good option.  I don't know why I am sharing this here - maybe because I don't know where else to share it.  I am not asking for anything, I guess I just needed to say it.

I told my boss that I am taking tomorrow afternoon off.  The weather is supposed to be nice and DD is on spring break, so I am taking her golfing.  I really should not be taking any time off work given that I am swamped and will be away in Columbus Thursday and Friday at a conference, but I am.just.burnt.out.

I need to get off my pity pot and start counting my blessings......heading off to start counting.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spinach

tselbs that is a great picture, I grew up in Scottsdale and it brought back some nice memories.  Actually I think your brother in law lives in the same area as my brother. That path and the mountain in the background looks very familiar.

My Easter break has ended and I am back at work.  School started up today but I don't have any classes today. I do have some grading to do.  I ran 33 laps (6600 meters) in the fieldhouse.

It was a shame to run indoors on a beautiful morning like today but I had to. Yesterday I was cutting some firewood for next winter and bit of sawdust or something got in my eye and really messed it up.  The eye doctor told me to stay out of the sun for a few days and so I was back to running indoors again.

TammyinGP

{{ Holly }}  You have a lot on your plate, you always do, but when you and your spouse aren't necessarily working together as a team, it makes all the other stuff worse (in my opinion).

Should be a nice almost 70 degree day, so will try and run a few trail miles with the dogs when I get home from a long day at work!

Tammy

Holly S. I wish good wishes could make everything work out for you. But for whatever they are worth you have mine.

buehrle your DH sure has my sympathies. I picked up a cold the other day and I have felt pretty miserable for the past couple of days.

Guys, I need guys on the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club team! You hear me! Where are you all? I am up to 9 runners. Of those I have zero RA men. A big fat Z-E-R-O! In total I have only 3 men so far. Sign up already! 

In other news I am pleased to report a guest that overstayed his (her?) welcome has left the house.

This little critter managed to defeat a mouse trap (he is too big to fit) and a squirrel trap (too small to trigger it). I purchased a chipmunk trap. Just right! Cute thing. Still glad he is now a cute thing over a mile away in a local woods.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mrrun

I told my boss that I am taking tomorrow afternoon off.  The weather is supposed to be nice and DD is on spring break, so I am taking her golfing.  I really should not be taking any time off work given that I am swamped and will be away in Columbus Thursday and Friday at a conference, but I am.just.burnt.out.

this is known as a mental health day - and it will make you feel better.  also, add a fun run in - like 3 year olds do

tselbs - brought back  memories of a week last winter in Tucson, running through the cacti - loved it

jay - saw the obit this morning - she was quite a woman

((rocket scientist))

only ran 3 this am because i was in new shoes but it was hilly and felt good after too many hours waiting yesterday - train delayed 3 hours coming home.

non-running - just finished Fever of 1721 about smallpox epidemic in Boston, colonial days, freedom of press etc - excellent reading

marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

5.0 sunny cycling miles
                      34-degrees provided lots of icy mud puddles to break up on the way.
                      Maybe that’s where GS got his joy of breaking up shoreline ice from.
                      Unfortunately, the low up there today is already ten degrees
                      warmer than here.  Probably erika-land too but probably
                      not if it’s anything like here where the weather forecast
                      mistakenly shows the low as 41-degrees instead
                      of the 34 on both of my outdoor thermometers
                      double-checked with a digital one too,

to say nothing of the ice puddles.

I don't really have a close girlfriend to lean on, and DH is not a good option.  I don't know why I am sharing this here - maybe because I don't know where else to share it.  I am not asking for anything, I guess I just needed to say it.

That's what runners and running are for, holly.

Most everyone's been though it in one-way-or-the-other

but you're lucky to figure it out early on before it becomes too late.

Fortunately, .you have plenty of GF's here to give you a call. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

On a personal note, I seem to be struggling lately.  Work stress, personal issues, marital issues, family issues, possibly just menopausal hormonal issues, I don't know, but I am struggling with some depression, and have been for some time.  I don't really have a close girlfriend to lean on, and DH is not a good option.  I don't know why I am sharing this here - maybe because I don't know where else to share it.  I am not asking for anything, I guess I just needed to say it.

I need to get off my pity pot and start counting my blessings......heading off to start counting.....

Holly, please make an appointment with a healthcare professional about this. You are an intelligent and self-aware adult and if you recognize symptoms of depression in yourself, you should consult a professional that will be able to help you discern what triggers your struggle with depression. Sure, there can be hormonal triggers. Sure, there can be marital triggers. Also, family and work and and and, you get the picture? You need a neutral professional to help you sift through all of this and help you on a path to emotional well-being.

Girlfriends are great but, when I was going through my battle with depression, I hid all of my symptoms from everyone with whom I had a close connection. I didn't want to burden my husband or my friends. It wasn't until I talked with my pcp (who also was a co-worker at the time) that I sought professional help.

I saw a psychologist (not a psychiatrist). The psychologist was able to diagnose my problem and recommend treatment. My pcp was able to prescribe medication that helped me get back to normal. This whole process from diagnosis to cure took a little over a year.  That was about 14 years ago. I am on no medication now and feel like I am cured. Not that it matters but, my diagnosis was a chemical imbalance related to chronic post traumatic stress. My treatment plan included talk therapy and Zoloft (an SSRI). It takes a few weeks to titrate the medication to a therapeutic level. And I was fortunate that I was able to be weaned from it after about a year with no recurrence, so far.

I believe it is important to be open to different kinds of therapy and your mileage may vary. I just wanted to share my story so that you might be open to professional evaluation.

Now. Everyone. Forget I said all of this and carry on.

MTA: Psychiatrists are fantastic and I love them!  I wanted to be clear about the psychologist because that is why I needed my PCP to prescribe the medication.

((Holly)) RCG has some great advice there -- saying that, you can also call me anytime for a girl chat!!

RCG - hope rocket scientist gets checked out again if he is still under the weather, maybe pneumonia has crept in?

Twocat - so glad we are up to 9 FABULOUS teammates!! Maybe this year we will reach full team sooner than any previous year!!

Jay - sorry to hear about Anne, that does sound like a good way to honor her memory!

Went back to work yesterday for the first time since Steven's illness - have to say it felt great!! Such a relief to be back and the support from my co-workers was amazing!!

Today - 60 minutes on my bike at the computraining studio then pulled on some warm clothes and went outside for a 2.3 mile WINDY run!!

After 2 days of overindulging, I really needed a good workout!!

This afternoon going for a pre-birthday massage!! ahhhhhh

Happy Tuesday my friends!!

denise

Amen, RCG!  I don't know what I would've done without my counselor when my life was in the crapper a couple of times.  She was my lifeline and my saving grace, and I will forever be indebted to her.  I also went on hormone replacement therapy when my menopause issues became unmanageable, and it changed things for me dramatically.

Holly - I sent a message, but a lot of it is what RCG said.  You're not on a pity pot.  Talk to your health care provider.  And don't ever, EVER apologize for getting things off your chest with us.  We've all done it at one point or another.  This is a safe place.  You're among friends who really care about and love you.

That being said ~~~

Cute critter, 2Kitty.  Glad you were able to catch and release.

Tammy - You can do that 30k.  It may not be pretty (), but you can do it.

5 miles in the chilly predawn hours, under a beautiful star-filled sky.  When it's that cold, my asthma goes haywire, and this year it seems to be the worst it's been for awhile.  Hopefully warmer temps will make breathing easier.  We'll see.

Have a great day, friends ~~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

So glad you posted this Holly. I have issues with this as well and would like to post on bad days but can never bring myself to do it.  I call it "the mean reds" from Holly Golightly in "Breakfast at Tiffany's"  For no reason I'll have streak of days that I feel so down it's hard to be around other people. Running helps me. Tremendously. I also thought it might be menopausal issues but I'm going to be 64. My doctor wanted me to start taking medication for depression but I refuse to do that. I can usually work my way out of it but sometimes it's hard...  Take the day off. It sounds like exactly the right thing to do.  And you have a great group of friends here. We're here for you.

Sorry for the Rocket Scientist RCG. Lot of people still fighting off crud. I hope he feels better soon.

It's my spring break week from my "lunch lady" job, and the Y needed help this week because their usual opener is on vacation. So, up at 3:30 to be there for 4:15 and work until 10. Then did a 45 minute flex and balance class and 60 minutes on the elliptical. DH and I are going to vote early now. Wisconsin has become the hotbed of activity for political candidates since our primary is next week. Even got Ted Cruz eating cheese curds!

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  So odd, had one of those sleeps last night where I kept waking up.  Got back to sleep each time, but never felt deep--kind of like the night before a big race, you know?  So slept in a tich this am and just did 4+ under clouds.  Dumping rain now.

That little critter is cute, twocat.   My Coco and Caroline would have enjoyed it......for a while.  Glad you relo-ed it.

Wow, almost didn't check in today as we're in the end of the month crush.  Glad I did.  Dang it, Holly, wish I could spirit you away to Virginia so Rosie and I could hang with you for a while.  And you'd love my old roomie Leslie--she's got your kind of sense of humor.  Funny.

See, you could run the Rocket Scientist's part, and he could be the coach (trusting he'll be recovering by then, please).  Or do the whole thing.  The Reston Runners are so darn nice, too.  Hmm...less than 500 miles, or there are nonstops from Dayton to Dulles (very near to Reston) on United.  Just spur of the moment take a trip and run with the gfs.

But if that doesn't work, send me an email or note or call, let me know when to get you is best if I don't answer.   And I'm glad you did tell us.

Personally, I am surprised that we all somehow muddle through as we do most days.  One of my favorite cartoonists, John Callahan had a good one of a couple watching TV with the tagline: "Life is hard.  Film at 11."  DH and I often quote it at each other.  Here's another one of his.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)