Masters Running

Monday May 18 New Week Runs and Such (Read 459 times)

Out for a nice 5 miles with DW this morning. The sun was up, the wind was down and it was an enjoyable way to start the week. My hopes that everyone can make the most of their start today.

Hill Runner

Good morning Another beautiful morning here. Came across lots of baby ducklings this morning along with their protective parents...very cute! 10.14 miles of hills @ 8:56 pace. The sunny 48F temp felt great today! Good runs everyone!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Slo

Good Morning Masters One Qx:........Who the hell punched all the holes in my Running Graph ! Geez......I hate holes ! I did a 2 fer yesterday. 11.3 then a 5 miler later. Ok...Two Qx: Is your long run dimished by breaking it up like that. I know this question has been asked and debated but this is the group I trust.......That 2nd 5 miler was HARD ! A hard 2hr race on Sat. The 11 miler Sun am, Tuck pointed masonary for 4 hours then did the 5 miler. I did a 1 mile swim in 32 minutes this morning......freaking awesome....for me anyway ! Followed up with some drills and wrapped up with an all out 250 yarder. K people....Have a good day !
        Slo

Good morning Another beautiful morning here. Came across lots of baby ducklings this morning along with their protective parents...very cute! 10.14 miles of hills @ 8:56 pace. The sunny 48F temp felt great today! Good runs everyone!
          Peter: We have a bady duck at home right now. It's part of a school project. The kids pick an egg and hatch it out at school. When thier egg hatches they bring the duck home....providing there's proof of heat lamp, bedding, protection from cats, etc. The kids work with thier bady ducks to "Imprint" the parent. After two weeks the kids return with thier ducks, put them in a pen were they will be released to see if the kids were able to imprint thier ducks. It's really cool to watch these ducks find the kids that rasied them the for last two weeks. They are taken out to a farm pond after he project is done. Some kids continue to go to the pond and months later when the duck is fully grown, it will still go to their "parent". The damn thing is pretty cute and they are so fun to watch......How they hunt ants and scoop them up and they love water puddles.
            Morning, gang! Hey Craneium - nice race and race report!! Peter - I haven't seen any ducklings yet, but I've come across 2 sets of goslings in the last couple of days. Love the spring. SLO - a mile in 32 minutes - very awesome!! I did 12.5 miles on the trail early Saturday morning. The dogwoods are in full bloom and gorgeous. The trail was relatively deserted, and I got to see a couple of deer before they spooked. 7.25 hilly miles along the Sound this morning - 50 degrees with a mild breeze, and the rain held off until I finished. Glad to have the sproink back. (((((((((Tim)))))))) - hope to see you post today.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Slo_Hand - what a fun project! My kids would love that! (DH wouldn't, though Big grin ) 2 recovery miles on the TM (10:31), followed by 30 minutes of weights and core work. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

SLO, I haven't done doubles in many years, but I've always thought the long run should be done at once. As you say, this has been debated for years, and the elites generally work out twice a day because they have different purposes for the two workouts, e.g., ten easy in the a.m. and five with more speed in the afternoon. I can only drag my butt through one workout a day, but as you point out that second workout is tough! Jlynne, I felt for you yesterday in that half. I believe having that oatmeal helped me yesterday, and you would probably have benefited from some mid-race stops for some power drink. I ran a half in 2005 with a woman who asked if she could run with me. She ran the entire race without taking a drink. Of course she ran a 1:33 something and I ran a 1:34:06 so we weren't out there long enough to deplete but it did surprise me to see her running through all the stops. After the race I teased her about it because she beat me! In a half I used to drink once at around 9-10. In March I ran with the Saint when she got her PR and she drank at about three stops and the first was when we were well into the race, about 6 miles, but she had had a good breakfast. Headed out now for 2 on a soft surface, then to the Y for my core stuff. I feel pretty good after yesterday. Right foot just a bit sore by the heel, but that's just the pounding, not an injury. Spareribs
                  Didn't get much running in last week. Wife traveled to west coast for a christening so I was home alone the three girls. Back at it today. 5 sets each of squats, bench press, power cleans. For abs, reverse hypers and sit ups. All followed by a nice easy 3 miler. Can't wait to build that mileage back up and get out with the running club again.

Renee the dog

Stepped up to 15 min of slide boarding last night. I know I'm bringing myself along just right as at the end, I'm just "feeling it" in the lower legs and feet muscles. What's interesting is the core cramps I'm getting from it (dull cramps, nothing debilitating) in bed that night! Just got word from the husband that I can go running at lunchtime. Monday is usually a day off, but after 2 weeks of off, who cares?! Big grin I don't think I can wait for the ocean to warm up. I think I'm going to try the pool this week and see if I can deal with lap swimming for a couple weeks. I guess I could also dig out my shortie and swim in it in the ocean, but I really dislike wetsuits even more than pools. It's a miracle I swam competitively for as many years as I did given all my "requirements." Black eye Tongue

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps

Good running over the weekend. Jlynne--tough one! I'd definitely do a gel for a 1/2 race. Ribs--congrats on that milestone run! Cool low-50s here this morning, which was nice. I had planned on heading back to the Y for TM "hills" but I could feel yesterday's real hills in my knees and decided to take it easy today. 5 easy miles instead. Have a good week. ETA: George, I noticed you've had to change that avatar. Sad

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I hope Tim posts this morning. I like the idea of relocating. Geech - 11 miles last week. Undecided This week will be better. Today is a scheduled rest day and it was so cold outside, I was happy to stay in bed. I hope to catch up with all the "goings on" soon.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

10 miles for me yesterday...of course, my longest yet. My life has gotten in the way of running, so I've missed a couple shorter runs on my running plan. I'm glad I have an extra week after the running plan completes before I run my 20K at the end of the month. I'm going to repeat the final week of the plan. All I have to say about 10 miles is this...dang, that's a long ways. It took me FOREVER. It was a bit sobering to think that my husband and son drove 1 1/2 hours back from a quick road trip yesterday. They left AFTER I did and I was still running when they arrived home. Funny really, but this run was much better than the 9 miler the week before where at 7 miles I was feeling the pain. Tim...horrible news about the job...I hope something works out for you soon. I've been far to busy to keep up with the boards, so hugs to everyone in pain, luck to all upcoming racers, and good runs to all. Janet
                            ETA: George, I noticed you've had to change that avatar. Sad
                            Disappointing to be sure. But the Bs deserved their fate. (sigh), next year.

Slo

10 miles for me yesterday...of course, my longest yet. My life has gotten in the way of running, so I've missed a couple shorter runs on my running plan. I'm glad I have an extra week after the running plan completes before I run my 20K at the end of the month. I'm going to repeat the final week of the plan. All I have to say about 10 miles is this...dang, that's a long ways. It took me FOREVER. It was a bit sobering to think that my husband and son drove 1 1/2 hours back from a quick road trip yesterday. They left AFTER I did and I was still running when they arrived home. Funny really, but this run was much better than the 9 miler the week before where at 7 miles I was feeling the pain. Tim...horrible news about the job...I hope something works out for you soon. I've been far to busy to keep up with the boards, so hugs to everyone in pain, luck to all upcoming racers, and good runs to all. Janet
                              Janet, Great run and best of luck to you ! I'll be there too. I'm doing the 20k and then I'm going to join up with my sister and run the 5k with her. (Her 1st race) Long runs are funny things.....some are easy, some are not. Some require a ton of mental. You really don't know what your in for. You'll be suprised though how much easier the 20k will be. You'll hook up with a comparable runner and make a new running friend along the way. Careful with the beer at the end. It has a way of sneaking up on you after a run like that ! Wink
                                Mornin' all 5 easy paced---no watch miles at 7 am (careful not to run along the bus route---the kiddo was chatting up his crush and I didn't want to mess with his mojo). It was 44º this morning and I didn't wear gloves. I have been clutching my coffee cup ever since! Down to 28º tonight---better bring the flower pots inside. Good to see you Mary---fabulous puppy photo! Thanks. Hi HandyMom! I hear ya EGH3 Thanks for the start off Craneium---off to read your report next (we have three lilac bushes planted here from the in-laws house in Rochester---they are fabulously lush this year)