Masters Running

TGI Friday February 16, 2018 (Read 40 times)

'morning Masters.      3.1 miles with threat of rain, but I beat it!  (no doubt due to my blazing speed.....)   63 degrees but about to plummet.  I miss the Texas sun during these Tennessee winter months.

2.2 treadmill miles after work.    5.3 for the day.  Still coughing some but on the mend.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

C-R

Hey Karen and all to follow.

Haven't posted much lately. Busy with work.

I get the winter thing. 60 degrees last night for a really hard hill workout and 36 and drizzle this morning. Think I'll wait until lunch to get some miles and let the legs rest a bit.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

Good morning folks.

After a good night's sleep I went back to the gym and ran 5.35 on the old treadmill.

It's raining so much here that the Weather Channel has dispatched one of their roving reporters to stand on the banks of the Ohio River here in Huntington. I don't think the Ohio River is expected to exceed flood stage here but it will get close.

It's raining so much here that the Weather Channel has dispatched one of their roving reporters to stand on the banks of the Ohio River here in Huntington.

...one thing you Never want to see is Your Town on the WeatherChannel.........

=============

...........60-min x-bike.....

like jay,

little bit of a scratchy throat the last few days,,,,,,,,,,,,did The Drill

and

expect to hit the Pool in the morning

..................Enjoy Your Work-Outs...........if you're not, CHANGE SOMETHING......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

((deez  and all those with ouchies, colds, and flu))

no rain in sunny florida - just LOTS of humidity. ran (if that's what you call it) 3.8 to be followed hopefully by biking and ocean activities.

fascinating watching the people here who don't swim, just pull endless shells out of the water aka the shell seekers

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Interrupting fitness streak at four days to focus on trying

to try divert third party distraction that’s threatening to thwart

lunch plans with the Arctic King and Queen next Monday.  We’ll see.

Anzio - is your current malady the same condition that reduced you to support crew in October’s Portland Marathon?  Either way, it appears to have reduced your running to what happened to me too during a year of misdiagnosis of abdominal discomfort by Dr. QuackQuack as just needing to lose some weight   Unfortunately, even though fully repaired last October too, it’s still dampening my running from what I like.. Better luck to you.

Light off-and-on showers this morning and through the weekend should give Queen Erika plenty of opportunities for runs with all the other fitness crowd almost anywhere/anytime.  Maybe try to get out to the 2.8 mile Green Lake circuit posie did last week.  It's like the 5K perimeter of the Imperial Palace in downtown Tokyo with nonstop runners 24/7.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

FLASHBACK TIME-

...I Fired a Neuron when I put ''Change Something''

............wanna see erika when she was starting out??

http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum3/HTML/036498-2.shtml

Hard to Imagine now

=================

like a Famous Runner

(George Carlson)

once said-

''I just telling you Things You Knew, you just Forgot you knew 'em''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

1.5 run/walk this morning followed by another short bike ride. Have to rest and eat lunch before we hit the beach. Life is good!!

evanflein

Interrupting fitness streak at four days to focus on trying

to try divert third party distraction that’s threatening to thwart

lunch plans with the Arctic King and Queen next Monday.  We’ll see.

Lunch Monday would be fun! I'll have to let Peter know, I don't usually tell him what we're doing until we're almost doing it. Big grin  And you might have missed something (?) but I'm not running these days. Wrapping up week #5 of no running after (mostly) self-diagnosed lower tibia stress fracture. Doc wanted the MRI to be sure, but I'm taking the "if it walks like a duck" approach.

Tomwhite, where the hell do you find this stuff. That's so funny! And by the way, right after that post I came down with some zinger shin splints that derailed my Napa BQ plans, but I still did the race. Just didn't have much fun.

Mariposai, sorry to hear about your friend. Much too young.

Deez, I'd worry about having her be alone with just monitors. Hope the home health aids can be there regularly.

Well, no run for me today, pool or otherwise. Have a luncheon appointment (American Heart Association thing) and tonight we leave for Seattle. Haven't told the cat yet.

bioguy

Hi

Missed posting some this week.

Tuesday was a terrible day at school and it carried over to my planned intervals. Took Wednesday as my regular rest day and cooked a nive V Day dinner,

Thursday my wife lcouldn't find her only key to her Prius. We usually leave the house at the same time so I helped her search to no avail. She dropped me off in my truck then continued to work. The time I helped her look was when I'd have packed my lunch so I ate crap at school. She then forgot she worked till 4pm and didn't answer my call or text (I thought she got off at 3pm) so I walked the 2 miles home. Really nice day, but out here in the country you generally don't see middle aged men with backpacks and neckties walking down the road.

My planned tempo sucked. First 1.5 was ok, then I felt like my legs were in quicksand. I salvaged it kind off, but pretty miserably. 6 total.

She found her key in a laundry basket.

Back to my student cell phone issues.

Since the start of school in September, I have collected phones when we take tests. Last year in other classroom, not mine, kids took pictures of pages and sent them to kids taking later tests. Others took pictures of an answer key on a teacher's desk. Anyway, I've had no problem getting kids to turn them in, until today.

Young man says he isn't taking the test unless he can listen to music. Sorry dude, you have to go to in school suspension and make up the test on your own time. He leaves and one of his minions does the same thing. I'll pop a zero in which will drop them to failing, but I'll be asked to let them take it later on their own time.

If you have a son or daughter considering teaching.....I truly love it and 90% of my students are great. But if you want an analogy, think of the last time you went to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Remember all those people in line? I teach their kids.

5 miles after work planned in a cold rain.

Tailwinds!

Anzlo

Anzio - is your current malady the same condition that reduced you to support crew in October’s Portland Marathon?  Either way, it appears to have reduced your running to what happened to me too during a year of misdiagnosis of abdominal discomfort by Dr. QuackQuack as just needing to lose some weight   Unfortunately, even though fully repaired last October too, it’s still dampening my running from what I like.. Better luck to you.

Tet - The short answer is ... Yes ... The longer answer very complicated.  I only started running long distances regularly 8 years ago and if I had not attempted marathon training cycles with the mileage required I may have gone through life never discovering my condition.  It's not life threatening, just limiting.  It's a combination of a genetic predisposition to anemia along with food allergies that would help if I could eat differently that reduce my ability to oxygenate at that level for that length of time.  This year I am essentially starting over and gradually building up my length/intensity to try and find out where I start going downhill. I knew something was wrong when the better my marathon training cycle (more mileage) the worse my marathon seemed to be ... I was systemically depleted and did not know it.  My recovery was not muscle related, but overall fatigue and other suspicious things for weeks after. The last two years along with 3 different doctors having eliminated any of the more serious conditions have concluded, its just who I am.  So, now I am trying to optimize what I have to work with with some recent diet tweaking.  Run/Walk appears to be less demanding and I still have hope of doing some decent marathons in the future; time will tell. Probably more than you really wanted to know.  Thanks for caring.

Today's workout was 4 miles running and 1 mile fast walking.

Have a great Friday and upcoming weekend folks!

and to those who it might matter ... Gung Hay Fat Choi !  

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

Tramps

((Mari)) always sad to lose a friend.

Wow, Tom, 10 years flies by doesn't it?

Bioguy--9 out of 10 times, the key is in the laundry basket.  And, unrelated, the dreaded 10%; it continues in higher ed, too.

Mike--good game last night, eh?   (Okay, I had to work and didn't actually watch it but I did see the highlights this morning.)

In other hockey news, Dave, s-o-o close last night. (see above note to Mike)

Hope all of you dealing with colds, flu, and whatever else start to feel better soon.  I have to be on campus next week and I sort of dread what I'll come home with.  It's a giant petri dish and I haven't built up any resistance lately!

Pouring rain again this morning so I finally dashed out during a break this afternoon, only to discover I'd forgotten my watch. No matter, I know the route well and, yes, 5 miles.  It made me realize I put the watch on now just out of habit.

Be safe. Be kind.

Posie - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

Deez - I can't imagine how tough it is dealing with any type of mental disease/issues.  You were dealt a full hand, but somehow I believe you're strong enough for it.

Awake at 4:00 a.m., so I fed the cats and got in an hour of core/ST, then to work by 6:30.

Spent 4 hrs tackling the file room, which was a disaster made by our dept secretary and the other paralegal just shoving crap in there and ignoring it. A very important file has been misplaced, and, long story short, I finally got fed up with the mess and not being to find anything.  It's 12:15 now, and I'm ready to go home! 

On the continuing saga of our dept secretary and my talk with our boss - we had our team meeting this morning and he was pretty to the point about things not getting done.  He wasn't rude or angry (I've never seen Dennis angry), but you knew he'd had it.  She and I talked after, I told what I saw as issues, and kept reiterating that I want to see her succeed, but also told her it's not going to get any easier.  She said she has to decide if she even wants to stay here, if it's worth the ups and downs she's experiencing.  I told her what I've always felt: We spent more time at work than we do at home and with our families.  Because of that, we darn well better like what we do.  I don't care if it's being a bank teller or a cashier at Starbucks - find a job that makes you happy, because in the end, it's makes you a better mom, better wife, etc.  It's a decision only she can make.  We'll see what happens.

Have a good weekend, friends ~~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Deez, I'd worry about having her be alone with just monitors. Hope the home health aids can be there regularly.

Ya - we are worried about that too especially days like yesterday when she didn't answer her phone. We don't even know if she will allow someone from Elder Services in the house, but we are going to try.  I understand she wants to stay in her own home where she is comfortable with everything, but it's just so far from us it makes things very difficult and a huge worry.

Tet - I am around elderly people at church and can see a real difference between them and how my mil is behaving. It's definitely dementia that makes her not recognize her own grandsons yet when we first came home from vacation she was singing their praises. Steven made her coffee every morning when he came home from work, Justin would help with dinners and sit and talk with her. Then this week she doesn't even realize they are our sons. I may have been a little impatient asking her if she used soap when she washed the dishes -- something she really has a bad habit of is rinsing the dishes and putting them in the clean rack. I know I raised my voice a little but it was only because she didn't understand or hear me when I was asking -- I certainly would never yell at her and I also followed it with a kiss and a thankyou. Unfortunately - she just remembers my voice getting louder   She did answer the phone today and we had a good conversation -- in fact, so good we had the same conversation 3 times in one phone call!! 

((Mariposai))

Henry and Marj - enjoy those beach activities!!

3.1 treadmill miles for me after church -- should have run outside but knew if I did, I wouldn't go back in to get my strength work done and I really needed that today too!! I could have done strength work first then outside to run, but was having a tough time motivating today.

Happy Friday!!

denise

bioguy

5 lovely miles under an overcast sky.

Tailwinds!