Masters Running

Thursday, 4.28.16 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm sorry I've been out of touch, but it has been another crazy week. One BIL and his DW (and dog and 3 cats) arrived on Monday from VA to stay in our guest cottage for a while and find a permanent place to live in NH. We had found a house (3 bdrm cape on 1+ acre) for them that needs a little work, but it is a great deal and we'd help with both the repair work and financing. They went to drive by the house yesterday and didn't like it (too "remote" - 2+ miles from town), and announced last night that they are packing everything up again and going back to VA - which they've said over and over and over again that they hate. No, I don't get it either.

6.65 RW miles this morning in 37F temps, and under a high hanging half moon in clear skies. Because of early meetings, lack of sleep, rain, etc. this was my first workout since Sunday, and it sure felt good to be back on the roads.

Now I have to head off to today's first meeting, so...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Have to do better on the houses you find, I guess.  Or count your blessings.  One or the other.  Too bad being nice gets punished so often.

This is appearing to be another week with very little running.  The hotel I stayed at this week doesn't open the TM room until 8am  Having to be on site by 7am really reduces the chance to use it.  and the last thing on my mind after 10-12 hours of work is hitting the TM.  So, this is a cut back week?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin'

What Kevin said, Jay.  Sounds like avoidance-approach, something I think I learned about in Psych 101.

Listened to Questlove on Terri Gross yesterday and found him very entertaining and witty.  His bit on Prince was especially good.

We're having our last mornings of decent running weather.  I won't complain, I'll just signal when the H&H go into high gear and be done with it.  Not there yet.

Mangoes are about large egg size on the trees now.......planning my pre-dawn routes.   Because, you know, see line above this, one must run early when it gets very hot.

Seven this morning.  Just regular.

So what do we get from y'all if we all pose in Cheesehead hats when we are in Wisconsin?

Stumpy--you could run in place in front the TV in your room.  You might find the MLB channel of interest

grins and lasershows!

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I don't get it, either.

Kevin - run outside?

Amy - any mangos on the ground are fair game.

5.2 miles for me this morning in 50-ish degrees.  My legs felt great, actually, and I was sorry I didn't have time for more.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jay - I don't get it, either.

Kevin - run outside?

Amy - any mangos on the ground are fair game.

5.2 miles for me this morning in 50-ish degrees.  My legs felt great, actually, and I was sorry I didn't have time for more.

I would if there were anything resembling sidewalks.  Hotels on major roads suck for that purpose. The one place down here that bordered on a residential neighborhood has gotten too sketchy to stay in anymore.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Jay, from what part of Virginia are the impossible to please kinfolk trying to escape?  The reason I ask, is that we are a very diverse commonwealth.  We have it all! We have rural Southwest mountains and we have fast paced densely packed NoVa. We have pastoral, bucolic Central Virginia (the home of TJ and his Monticello), we have SEVa, including VA Beach with its lovely sand and surf and my home for almost 30 years: the Colonial Triangle. We have mountains, we have hills, we have ocean, and we have Washington D.C.

My friend had a total knee replacement a few weeks ago, complicated by a C.Diff infection. She is on the road to recovery and I have been sharing in the driving her to PT. Her husband drops her off and I pick her up. ANYWAY.

Yesterday, as I was waiting with another care partner with whom I was having a lovely discussion, a lady storms into the office, checks in, and sits down with disgust. She announces that she has a cold. And that she can't even remember the last time she had one. She blamed the germs "down here" on the shopping carts. (?). We talked about the wipes available but she dismissed those as useless. I mentioned how it is allergy season and the increased muscous production leaves a fertile breeding ground for all sorts of germs. She looked at me oddly and agreed. (Meanwhile the other care partner just nodded and said, "Mmmm")

The lady went on to say how much she hated it here. I asked her how long she had been here and where she was from. "Three years and Massachusetts. And we are moving back!"  She complained further, "I don't know how you STAND it here. It is TOO hot. You can't go outside. I love to be outside."

The other care partner and I said, "You just move slower."

The lady looked at us as if we were nincompoops.

We looked at each other knowingly.

I told her that my routine included getting up early and running at 5:30.

Another disgusted look in my direction.

Then she got called back to her appointment.

The other care partner and I discussed how living in the South meant slowing down. But we didn't belabor the point.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

can I say on part of the nice people of Mass, that we don't want her back?

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

can I say on part of the nice people of Mass, that we don't want her back?

I would not judge a whole state by the actions of one person. Smile

And you have to take her back. She is one of your people.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Hats off to Mari on whatever you did to save the day on your race.  

grins,

A

Hats off to "Mari"

Dave59

I told the doctor my symptoms and he is scheduling a brain MRI. I don't know. Seems like over kill, but I guess I'll go along with it.  I have hit my head so many times over the years, who knows what they will find, if anything at all. Cindy probably thinks it is psychological but she isn't saying it out loud.

Since the tingling seems worse when I run I am taking today off and waiting for them to come back with a date and time on the mri. If it is too far off I don't know if I'll take all that time off or not.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

And on Tuesday I did this:

buehrle I am wondering if there are planets as well as countries embedded in your physique?

Funny you should mention this.

I was feeling sorry for myself and feeling as if Fascism would dominate my body and how could freedom prevail? Apparently this attitude was thinly veiled by rose colored glasses and I got a text from the rocket scientist suggesting a way to escape my fascist foot and its Axis of Evil.

Following advice from ground control. I took my protein pill and put my helmet on. Clipped my feet into the pedals, commenced countdown, checked ignition and God's Love was with me.

I took off and rode my bike out towards Charles City County, when I hit 10 miles, I turned around and headed back the long way. 22.5 miles .Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do.

Well. There is something that I did. I went to see my PCP. He is just great. He agreed that my whole right side would benefit from physical therapy. I have an appointment on Monday with my friend who is a doctor of physical therapy (DPT) She is also a runner. Just ran Big Sur and the Chicago. She also was a gymnast in college. She is tiny but mighty. She can battle dictators and will be a superhero for me.

My PCP asked what I was doing to defeat the plantar fascitis. I told him I was stretching, rolling my foot around on a frozen water bottle, and sleeping with the offending foot in a night brace.

He told me that 85% of victory is attributed to the wearing of the night brace.

I also asked him when I can run again. He said, "You cannot run until it doesn't hurt anymore."  He added, "You should go for a bike ride".

heh heh.

spinach

I recently bought a TomTom Runner GPS watch because it has very large numbers on it that I could easily read without my glasses.  I am still trying to figure out all the settings because the instructions that came with it very very sparse.  This morning I ran in the fieldhouse (50 laps 10,000 meters) and brought it along to play with it.  I saw that it had a treadmill setting, so i thought use that today.  I thought that since the treadmill was indoors, I could mimic it on the indoor track, and at least it would give me the time.

I was surprised that it gave me a fairly reasonable estimate of the distance I ran.  The watch says I ran 5.86 miles only 6% off.  I guess my stride must be 6% longer than the watch guessed my stride based on my height, weight, sex, and age.

I didn't have the right setting selected last night when I ran the Hump Day with it, so I will have to wait to see how it works outside but I am happy with in doors.  It may become my main watch because I really do like the large numerals on it

Good luck with the PT and running those fascist dictators out of your country, buerhle

Kevin - opening a workout room at 8 am??  yes, that's pointless.

That sounds like a lovely house, Jay.

Spinach - I never really got how those step watches could estimate distance.

Dave - I think an MRI is a bit extreme and likely to tell you nada.  If the doc then wants to do a spinal tap, just say no! (from my own experience - I will spare you the details of the procedure gone bad).  All because I had some tingling and lethargy that wouldn't go away for about a 6 weeks - was probably just a reaction to a viral infection.

No run this morning - gosh, so hard to get up these days.  I just am tired!  I did ride 12 miles home from work last night with MBE.  Lots of hills, and a good workout.  Then we went out for beer and nachos, kind of negating the workout, you know?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

DrRobin, it's fantastic that your melanoma team raised so much money.  Twocat, I'm glad to hear about your pain free 5 miles on the TM.  There's hope.  Jay, your BIL commenting about the house you found being too remote makes me wonder what he'd think about us living a mile outside a town of 300 people.  stumpy, I can't imagine a hotel not opening the TM room until 8 am.  Dave, I hope your doctor can figure out what's going on.  RCG, nice 22.5 mile bike ride to counteract your fascist foot.  The way you write about the whole experience shows you are deserving of the RCG name.

Yesterday, I walked 4 miles.  This morning, it was about 40° and there was a little wind.  I ran 5 miles at an 11:04 pace.  Hopefully, I am on my way back to what was normal before my eye surgeries.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Too tired from all the fun with GS for the last hill

on the five-mile version so back to reality

with a 4.5 mile cycle-mute on The Red Baron.

oh well. 
                                jay - I hope they at least stopped to say thanks on the way out but I doubt it.
                                Everyone up in GS-land seems either to love <<<(that would be me)>>>

it or hate it.  Few, it seems, just put up with it for one-reason-or-the-other..
                                Might be different in erika-land where the winters are so extreme
                                (but, with all those northern lights, who cares?)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)