Masters Running

Thursdaily, June 27, 2019 (Read 38 times)

Joe618

Morning all!   No time for a recap but will get the thread started. 

Starr, so very sorry for your situation.   Congrats on your seventh anniversary!  Feel very bad for your DH and your entire family.   Alcoholism has ravaged my extended family.  {{{Hugs}}}

Holly, when you started that story, I was afraid you were going to tell us you tripped and fell on the narrow portion of the sidewalk.   A squirrel encounter instead!   Ha!

Got in a very slow five mile run this morning which took over an hour.   Can't remember the last time my "usual" 5 mile morning run took that long.  Humidity?   General fatigue?   Hard to tell.   As Surly Bill put it, I still feel better when I run.   So, I run.

Rock your Thursday everyone. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Thanks, Joe.  I like that-  "I feel better when I run."  That pretty much gets it!        Starr-  I really feel for you. So sorry.

3.1 tired miles.  Getting Vandy to the national championship and last night's big win took a lot out of me.  So excited, though.

Off to fight the crazies!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start, Joe. Good for you for the 5er, regardless of the time.

Good work on moving Vandy ahead, KSA. Sorry the game left you so tired for your run.

Congrats on your 7-year anniversary, Starr. I'm very sorry that your DH isn't on the same path. Maybe he'll come back.

There are very, very few sidewalks on any of my regular routes to go on, but when I have that choice, I'll opt to stay on the streets if at all possible. Especially because I only lift my feet a couple of 2-3 inches off the ground, the risks on sidewalks are too great. And I don't want to violate Rule #2.

I've seen plenty of squirrels (and rabbits, deer, and wild turkeys), but the only time any critter got as close as Holly's squirrel was some years ago when an owl flew from behind and skimmed the top of my cap as it flew on ahead. In retrospect, I was glad I didn't see it coming toward me at head height.

I took yesterday off from working out because we had a long (3+ hrs) meeting on Tuesday evening, and it took me a while to get calmed down so I could get to sleep after I got home, so I slept a little late yesterday. Last night's meeting was only an hour, so I had no such excuse this morning, but still didn't wake up till about 4:35. I debated sleeping in again, and then got dressed and told myself it would be for only a short workout, and then felt pretty good (even the wonky ankle) out the door, and so went for 5.3 miles with a couple 'a fartlek miles thrown in. I've had no speed to speak of as of late, so it was good to at least get a modicum of fast back into my workout. Maybe I'm just more out of  shape than I think I am (it can't be age), but it has been hard to muster any speed in the last month or so. So it's something I have to work on.

I'm staying home today because I have a boatload of cooking to do for a mini family reunion in NJ that we're heading out to tomorrow morning.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

dnaff

Thank for the start Joe.

Starr, so sorry to read this.  My heart breaks.  I'm glad you have some support from your faith group.  We're here for you too.  Be well.

Today is my day at the food pantry.  I volunteer with a great group.  I'm excited to go each week.  It will be late afternoon when I'm done so it could potentially be a hot/humid time to run.  But did I read somewhere running makes us feel better?  So it might be a slow one but I will still enjoy it.

Go conquer Thursday everyone!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

As Surly Bill put it, I still feel better when I run.   So, I run.

Excellent, . . . even though I'm just

pretending most of the time nowadays,

it's still way better than not.

Starr - you are one strong cookie.
            Your DH is very lucky.

2.7 j-o'clock miles with 2,770 stairs in 1:01:16 (22:47m/m)
            Looped a half mile down to the bottom of the Hillside Park on paths well-worn next to all the stairs in the j-o’clock darkness for the uninterrupted main climb of 305 stairs back up to the top followed by 40 up/downs of the steepest top 54 stairs as the cloud layer came to light for a final flourish on the main stairway again.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Starr - you are one strong cookie.
              Your DH is very lucky.

+1

Tet - Do you count all those stairs, or do you have a FitBit or some such that does the counting?

Super busy week for me at work.  Not only do we have lots of end-of-month deadlines, but the attorney I work with and I are presenting tomorrow to a group of Elder Law Attorneys in Columbus about VA benefits.  She is going to take the law and planning aspect and I will take the nuts-and-bolts processing of the application and practice tips.  Anyway, between preparing for that and getting my cases done, I will be ready for the weekend.

7 miles for me today in 73 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anneb

Morning, all.

((Starr)) so sorry for what you are going through.

Holly, I truly thought I was going to read that you tripped and fell dodging a squirrel. So thank goodness it wasn't that!

Congrats on Vandy KSA!

On the wildlife front, we had a momma raccoon and (at least) 4 babies in the yard last night! They were all along the top of the fence climbing into trees on our neighbors lot when it started raining... the H was out in the yard when he saw this and swears that he thought the momma was going to jump from the fence and try to get him  She did seem quite protective of the babies though.

I also generally agree with this: I still feel better when I run.

Have I mentioned that summer showed up? Well we are now around 85+ every day, which means the overnight low doesn't go much below 70. 4 easy miles around the neighborhood for me this morning, feeling pretty good and even backing off the pace when I felt like I was starting to push it. Which meant my HR stayed nice and low... average 142. It's nice when everything matches up and your pace/ how you feel/ etc. actually matches with the measured results.

Anne

Tramps

Starr--that sounds awful. Take care of yourself.

Holly--riding my bike, I'm amazed how often spastic squirrels cross and stop right in front of me. I think some are suicidal. Thankfully, none have come flying at me...yet.

I seemed to have plateaued in my recovery, so I'm still laying low. Meanwhile summer's heat has moved in here, too with no relief in sight. Forecast is for 10+ days in a row of 90+ degrees. Ouch. Very glad we just got the AC fixed.

Be safe. Be kind.

Starr - I sent you a message. {{Hugs!}}

I also thought Holly was going to say she tripped! 

40 min of core/ST for me this a.m.  It's gorgeous today, so my goal is to for a walk at lunch, so long as nothing throws a wrench into my plans.

My office is providing everyone with new computers. (I can't even begin to imagine how much it's going to cost.) I was in the first round because I've had so many problems with mine.  The new computer is 7" x 7".   It's so small!  Sits between my phone and my scanner, although I think I'm going to want it relocated.  But it's so small!  And so fast!!!!

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Singer who runs a smidge

((Starr))  No advice here, just support.

Yoga done today, no biking because of chorus rehearsal tonight, woo-hoo!  Still have a service engineer working on one of my instruments -- he keeps running into a problem that's stumping him.  He's smart and good-natured, he'll figure it out.  Meanwhile, I'm trying to solve my own vexing problem.  I'm not sure I'm going to figure out what the problem is, but I might still figure out the solution.  Yeah, that's the way my lab works sometimes ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

anneb

We have the small desktops in our office for people who don't travel - they are very nice and don't take up space on your desk! And they are not as much as you might think, you can get them nicely spec'd for around $800's, depending on how old your other stuff is, you might not need a new monitor/keyboard/etc. Anyways the one I have (we buy Dell's) is from late 2016 and I don't notice that it's slowed down at all yet!

My office is providing everyone with new computers. (I can't even begin to imagine how much it's going to cost.) I was in the first round because I've had so many problems with mine.  The new computer is 7" x 7".   It's so small!  Sits between my phone and my scanner, although I think I'm going to want it relocated.  But it's so small!  And so fast!!!!

Enjoy ~~

Anne

I forgot that I saw a red fox this morning on my run. And a bunny!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Starr, I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. I know how hard you've worked to get to where you are now and it's sad to see you endangered again. Stick with those who can help you. Anyone here would be right there for you if we could!

Erika, Carolyn is still posting on FB occasionally -- maybe just on hiatus from RA.

Holly, don't start out any more posts that sound like another tripping-on-a-sidewalk incident! At least this one was just a squirrel. I felt bad once when I think I ran over a chipmunk on my bike. Two ran across just in front of me and were clear, but then the 2nd one doubled back!

This morning would have been good for a run before it heats up by afternoon, but I'm still laying off for a few more days so took the bike out instead. 19 miles on an unplanned but interesting route. Now to get the lawnmower out for this afternoon's activity...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

BTY

Good afternoon, Runners!

Very few opportunities to get in the pool the last couple of weeks since the Senior Games, due to one session ending, another beginning but with far fewer opportunities, and my own life getting in the way.  Swimming maybe once a week the past two weeks and that's the way it's going to be for another week or so.   On the bright side, based on my lack of significant performance improvement between last October when I started timing my laps and this past month when I competed in the Senior Games, I really shouldn't go backwards much, and I'm still getting to the gym pretty regularly.

I had my blood tested earlier this week as part of my annual physical.  I used to get it done every year, but ever since my doctor started sending us out to a lab instead of doing the procedure in the office, I've been slacking off.   My problem has always been hypocholesterolemia - my HDL (good cholesterol) can never seem to get up above the threshold of 39 or 40.  One year, back when I was training for a half marathon and regularly running 35-45 miles per week, my HDL was only 35 or so, and he put me on Omega 3 supplements and asked me to come back in a few months.   I had it re-tested a day after running the targetted 1/2 marathon, and it was a few points above 40 and he said the bump was probably from the half, but hey whatever it takes.  My use of the Omega 3's trailed off......

So it's been 7 years since I was able to run regularly enough to hit 1,000 miles annually, and my annual running distances for 2018 and 2019 are 100 and 0  respectively.    3 or 4 times in the pool each week during April and May, and only once or twice a week in June, meant the only significant regular exercise I've been getting the past 6 weeks has been strength training at the gym.   I knew I needed to get the blood tested this year because I still eat as if I exercise a lot, and "can eat whatever I want", like 3 eggs for breakfast almost every day.

And so you can imagine how pleased I was to read my blood panel results this morning.   My total cholesterol remains at 125, my HDL climbed to 43 - meaning my ratio of Total to HDL is now 2.9 : 1, (if that counts for anything in today's science).   All other results were in the normal range as well.   Huzzah!

Masters (pool) swim meets are few and far between here in upstate NY.  This is open water season around here.  The calendar is up in the air until the facilities let the race directors know when they can have the pools.   The next anticipated race is in either late September or early October; my summer session of lap swimming ends around August 1st and the fall session will start on September 23rd.   So I'm hoping that I'll get at least a week of lap swimming in before the first meet!    There appear to be a total of 5 meets that will be placed on the calendar, including that one, between September and next April.    And then there are the Senior Games again next June, so only 6 opportunities to compete in my state over the next year.  Nearby states are Vermont, Connecticut, and (western) Massachusetts, so I plan to check for events there as well.   

Have a greta weekend, Runners!

I felt bad once when I think I ran over a chipmunk on my bike. Two ran across just in front of me and were clear, but then the 2nd one doubled back!

Dang Squirrels! (or chipmunks)

Thankfully, my current keyboard works fine with the new computer.  It's a Goldtouch that I've had for at least 10 years.  I've been using this type of keyboard for over 20 years and love it.

MTA: Walk at lunch - 3.22 in 48:32 with 18 min up and down a hill by the high school.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance