Masters Running

The Saturday Daily: 3.18.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday’s fantastic workouts:
    Stumpy (3.25 miles around the lake on surprisingly cleared walks)
    Dave (2.2 +/- Garminless miles in temps in the 30s)
    BerthaSlayer (1 CL mile on day 16 of new streak)
    Tramps (EZ 6 morning miles)
    RunnerKSA (2 morning miles after getting home late from TX)
    Tomwhite (40 min bumped-up HH on the gGreenway in sprinkles)
    Catwhoorg ((uneventful 6 miles)
    Marj (2 hrs digging in a crypt at the Old North Church in Boston)
    Holly (4 hotel TM miles)
    Rochrunner (6 miles around the lake with a friend for the 1st run in almost 2 weeks)
    Mike (10.2 nighttime, windy miles with potty break detour)
    Evanflein (3.71 miles on the elliptical + 1 mile run & .5 mile walk on the track)
    Twocat (14 miles while DW did 4)
    Mariposai (4 miles with the Easy Pacer)

It’s a little scary to read everyone’s ‘worst hotel’ stories! Eke, knife holes and people screaming are definitely not good signs at any hotel. I think Tomwhite is right, and that you win. Mike gets honorable mention for the home invasion. And Steve gets jealous points for his great stay on Lake Michigan.

Stumpy - March is barely half over, so let’s see what the 2nd half brings

Dave, it sure seems that Annabelle is a successfully-practicing teenager.

Jlynne - isn’t that the Hotel California: You can check in, but you can never leave? Sorry about the flu, and about the St. Paddy’s Day meal.

BerthaSlayer, gotta love those racewalkers! Congrats on missing only 1 day since Dec. 26.

How’s the back, Tomwhite?

Dig well, Marj, and smile for the cameras.

Can you race on crutches, Leslie?

Good luck in Sunday’s Mercer Island Half, Tet. ‘Intrepid retired’ indeed!

Welcome back home, Rochrunner!

Welcome back to you too, Twocat. What a bummer that the 4-miler is being postponed and is messing with your training/racing plans.

Mariposai, that paella looks phenomenal!

We went to Hawaii for an anniversary trip years ago, and were greeted by a gaggle of roaches when we first opened our hotel room door. We turned right around, told the front desk we weren’t staying, and were able to check into a more expensive (of course) but perfect hotel about a mile down the road.

I was going to sleep in this morning, but that didn’t work out so well, so I was out the door for a workout at 4:35. I had planned to go in one direction, but changed my mind when I got to the end of the driveway, and made up the rest of the route as I went along, covering 7.6 RW miles by the time I got back. It was a good workout, except that, no matter what I did, my hands would not warm up. I wondered if the temperature had been dropping, and sure enough, it had gone from 20 before I started to 16 by the time I got back. There was also some wind, so even though it was only a few degrees’ difference, it made a big difference to my digits. We have another RW training session on the indoor track tomorrow morning, and I’m OK with that…

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

It's been a long time since I posted.  I got a text from SteveP the other day which prompted me to check in.  I haven't run since the race I did last summer with Steve and Tag.  I'm not injured, I just haven't felt like running.  It had gotten so that it was a struggle getting out the door to run and I was dreading the thought of each run.  I've been walking 4 miles most days to get some exercise but haven't felt any desire to break into a trot while doing so.

I have thought of my RA friends and should have posted sooner.  I miss hearing about what's going on with you.

For the most part, things have been going on in a routine manner.  I think that when I last posted a spot on my face had been diagnosed as melanoma.  It's been operated on and everything on that front seems ok now.  Our daughter and her husband are having a baby, a girl, this summer.  We're excited and are planning on babysitting for them one day a week as we continue babysitting one day a week for our son and his wife's two boys.

I hope all of you are doing fine.

TomS

Tramps

Good morning, Jay.  Sounds chilly.  BTW, how did that FDA (?) visit go a while back?  I don't remember a follow-up.

Tom!  Great to hear from you.  Glad you're doing well and walking regularly.  Check in, if you can.  We'd love to hear how you're doing.

Well, my knee's flared up this week so I'm taking a rest day, hoping it'll allow me to do a medium-long run tomorrow.  I suspect trying a little speed work is what's caused the issue.  I may have to back off.

I laughed at some of the hotel stories yesterday and this...

Like the house we lived in, in Wichita Falls, TX--when you turned the lights on in the kitchen at night, the whole floor would look like it was moving from all the cockroaches scrambling for a hiding place.

...reminded me of college.  My last year of undergrad, I was flat broke and lived in a house with about a half dozen other students, including Tribee.  She and I were the only two Americans in a house with international students, and we were the only students in the otherwise heavily Puerto Rican neighborhood. We got along fine with the neighbors; having foreign students and clearly not being"rich college kids" helped a lot.  Anyway, the house was a total dive across the street from a tiny "park" with two basketball courts. Folks hung out in the "park" conducting various business transactions and playing congas seemingly 24/7, so there was always background music--which was cool, except when you tried to sleep. And the roaches!  We had an informal "quota" where everyone was expected to kill a certain number of roaches in the kitchen each day (though I can't remember the number now).  I didn't want to worry my parents, so when they came to visit once, I arranged to meet them elsewhere so they'd never see where I was living.

Ah, good times. It actually was good times; great bunch of housemates and a good learning experience.

Someday I'll tell you about our New York City apartment with the landlord who kept a gun tucked in his waistband and made it onto the Village Voice's annual list of "up and coming slumlords." 

Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

...hiya tselbs//...........we all go thru this,

just look in from time to time and when You're Ready, it'll Happen........

==========

.....knocked out 40-min PoolRun

TheBack was a wee bit ''iffy'' today,

so

wore the Flotation Belt to keep Neutral Spine Position

saw some Geese'' when I headed back to the car

and

This Song came to Mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkplPbd2f60

I hate Geese

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

3.1 outside miles now that the rain has moved on.  Moved my longer run until tomorrow.  My work weeks are tough and Saturday mornings aren't  the best for me.    Done for the day!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Singer who runs a smidge

Just de-lurking to say that I made Twocat's Drunken Irish Soda Bread.  Wowza!!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Today was raining and then it turned to snow. Blowing snow.

I ran 20 miles and got lost. On an out and back route.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Mike E

MM #5615

Awesome!

HopesMom really happy to hear you liked the recipe! If you get a chance please review it. Recipes with more reviews move up when people do a search for something.

Mariposai that paella looks wonderful! Tastes wonderful too! I should know having had it a few times. 

evanflein spring break in CT also tends to be winter break. See more snow for the weekend.

Mike E if you just kept going in the same direction you would have had the wind at your back the whole way! Take a while to circumnavigate the globe (and it is a long swim across those oceans) but you are so fast I am sure you would get it done in record time! Plus you would have the wind at your back the whole way. 

tselbs glad to hear all is well post skin surgery.

BerthaSlayer sound like something I would do! My DW refuses to run with me on trips because I get lost so often.

No running for me today. Just an hour on the elliptical. If all goes well I should get in 19 miles tomorrow. I also got some exercise doing a temporary fix on our mailbox. The town snow plow driver must have been drunk or mad or both after the last snow storm. Whoever was driving knocked down a ton of mailboxes in the area, mine included. Split the post in two.  Yesterday I went to the hardware store and purchased 4 braces. I spent this morning drilling holes and then inserting wood screws to attach the top and bottoms together. The ground is frozen solid so I am hoping this fix holds until it softens up enough to replace the post with a new one.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - thanks for the rundown.

wind'll make a big, big difference at those temperatures

Fortunately, every time I was up in Erika-land in the temps

she faces all winter long, there was no wind but I'm not sure

if there's a wind break or something whenever the temps

get that cold.

I'm not injured, I just haven't felt like running.  It had gotten so that it was a struggle getting out the door to run and I was dreading the thought of each run.   

tom - thanks for the update.

I've been that way all my life and have always needed the incentive of a race

or somewhere to go, e.g. friend's house, morning 'mute, etc. to justify

running otherwise just for running's sake.  Now, getting in Jay's

daily recap helps too, especially since it's not necessary

to say whether the five miles that are becoming

kind of a morning habit were running or walking.

I've been walking 4 miles most days to get some exercise but haven't felt any desire to break into a trot while doing so.

That's what's happened to me since last November's Seattle Marathon

when I early registered for tomorrow's half marathon fully expecting

to run all the way. However, I just expo'ed down to the walker

division.  Happily, it starts an hour-and-a-half early so
                      I'll see all the friends I would have been running

with when they catch up at the end.

What does your daily four-miler entail?

Do you walk in the snow?

Twocat would probably like mine as it goes under the I-90

and I-5 overpasses in the first and last half miles, respectively.

Fortunately, there's a mile-and-a-half over Lake Washington

floating bridges that used to be used for the Seattle Marathon.

However, kind of brutal when the wind's been up in the recent

rains we've been having almost every day since October.

ps enke/mariposai - maybe one of the conveyor-belt sushi restaurants

on the East Side where I think enke lives.  Hey, wanna join me

in picking out a delectable morsel for each other as they

pass by and, if the other person can't eat what they

get selected for them, they give it to me, . . . I mean

to the person who chose it for them, . . . and pay for it too?

Or just see who can eat the most items the other person

doesn't want to eat. Is MBE coming?

pps - don't tell him but I sometimes have to tell people

that I must have made a mistake when I told them

what they just ate because it was actually something

else they might not have otherwise eaten.
                      Years ago, I got walked out on when I did it.

ppps jay -  DD just did what you did for the scallops

and got some winter king crab from a boat in the harbor.

I've seen 'em selling salmon from pick-ups in the Seattle

area but it's usually frozen warehouse fish

from one-or-more years ago they're

trying to get rid of.

I need a winter excuse to go up to GS-land.

pppps tramps - so, did you guys' ever tell your

parents about your accommodation's roaches, etc. ?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

spacityrunner

I could do that...the lost part...not the 20 miles part 

4 miles...80f....hilly hilly hilly silly miles in 51 min...meltdown city.  I did not wear my water belt and I thought I was going to pass out...I better toughen up...summers coming 

Trails Rock!

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - love the quota. Reminds me of my niece's artist studio at Ohio University, where she and her classmates worked on their art assignments in their allotted areas. I noticed a series of tally marks on a blackboard with dates next to them, and asked.  She said it was their "stinkbug count of the day."

BerthaSlayer - nice run!

TomS - nice to see you!

Today was DD's first lacrosse game, which was very exciting.  At halftime our team was losing 8-4, but in the second half they brought the score up to a tie game, 9 to 9, and then scored the winning goal with one second to go.  DD played defense and made an amazing interception that I wish I had on video.  I think it even surprised her.

6.6 miles for me today in a windy 40 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

catwhoorg

Labrat

6 easy round the hood.

20 pull-ups (4 sets of 5) when I passed the playground.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Hey, TomS!  Thanks for checking in.  It's nice to hear you're doing well.

Nice that you popped in, too, HopesMom!

I went into work again, this morning...then came home and sent out two more resumes.  One of these times somebody will be take me.

I went 10.6 miles, today.

When I was in 3rd grade, my dad was stationed in Thailand.  Before he left, he found an apartment for us to live in until he got back.  It was a triplex on the outskirts of Minneapolis.  A couple guys lived in the one unit downstairs--they handed out coins in condoms for Halloween.  We lived upstairs in one of the two units...and one bathroom that we shared.  Baths and any other bathroom visits were done quickly.  One time I opened the door from our apartment to go across the little hall to the bathroom only watch a woman chase a man from the other apartment, out her door, and down the stairs, with a butcher knife.  Oh, it was wonderful time!

Okay--gotta go!  Supper's ready!  See ya!

Dave59

I ran 3 miles this morning. The rest of the day was with the grandkids and their parents. We said our goodbyes tonight because we will be leaving very early tomorrow morning. We had a duel birthday party tonight for granddaughter Annabelle (9 on the 26th) and son-in-law Matt (30 on the 22nd).

Annabelle was sad, but she didn't lose it like last time. I hate that they live so far away, but I guess it could be worse. We can make it here in 12-13 hours.