Masters Running


Post-Boston & Earth Day Daily, Tuesday, 4.22.14 (Read 47 times)


    Mornin' everyone!


    Congrats to every single one of our Boston finishers for your outstanding efforts yesterday: Hermosaboy, Behern, Subdood, CNY, WRFB, PeterNC, Still BlueSky, PDR, Aamos, Robin, Deeze and Ilene. Whether your made or missed your time goals, you accomplished so much for yourselves, and for all of us. Kudos to Robin for finishing with her ankle taped after the unfortunate run-in with an errant water bottle on the course, and to Amy for her amazing AG success! Thanks also to Breger for doing all the tracking/posting.


    Nice runs yesterday, Tramps, Byll, Marj (on the bike) and Henry, Mariposai, SteveP, Twocat, Lamerunner (welcome back), and Mike. Wonderful photos of the GS, Tselbes!  Great wra-up post to yesterday's race, Tet - thanks.


    I had a long and busy morning in Hopkinton yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't see even one of our phabulous RA runners. I was one of the marshals in corral #3. We had to load the corral for each wave, checking bib colors and coral numbers to make sure everyone was in their correct corral, moving people up to the front, collecting excess clothing, etc. There were 9 corrals, 4 waves, and each corral held approximately 1,000 runners for each wave. I did see some runners I know from NH, met a guy from Idaho, a woman from England who had run the London Marathon last week, a South African who had run the Comrades Marathon several times, and various other veteran and newbie Boston marathoners. Security was much more evident than in previous years, but was not overwhelming, and was quite well managed. The day started out cool, but it warmed up more quickly than I think most people expected, and the sun was pretty strong. So, although it was good running weather, I suspect the heat got to some people more than they anticipated it would. I was on my feet from when I arrived at 7:15 until I left at close to noon and, although I had a great time, I was ready for some rest. Unfortunately, I had to go back to work, and then had a 2-hour meeting at 7 last night, so I had to wait a bit for that rest.


    No workout today: I got up at 4, fed the cat, and went back for more needed sleep. I'm also still having some problems with my right ankle. I thought it was a bruise from having tied my RW shoes too tight one day, but that doesn't appear to be the case. So I'm going to try to take it easy this week, and hope it heals in time for Sunday's half.


    Have a greta Tuesday!



    Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

      Good morning Jay and all to follow. Thanks for volunteering yesterday. And isn't that what makes runners such a great group of people? They always give back. Take good care of that sore ankle.


      And one more word of thanks to Bill for keeping track of all our RA friends running yesterday. It was so much easier to just pop in here to see everyone's progress.


      Robin - hope the ankle is better this morning.


      Ran 9 miles yesterday. This morning I ran 2 miles to the Y, did 45 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights and core, then ran 2 miles back home. I ended up taking the opener shift at the Y and I'll be starting next week. The hours will be 4:30 AM to 11:00 AM. While I'm always up at Jay o'clock every day, it will take some getting used to when it comes to being at work that early in the morning.  Oh well, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?


      Have a great Tuesday everyone.

        4 sort of aching miles this morning at an slow, easy pace.  I've developed a bit of a left hamstring issue lately.  I'm trying to take it easy to let it heal itself, while not stopping my training altogether.  After everything that our Boston runners went through yesterday, there was no way I was going to wimp out this morning!



        "Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

          Good morning friends.....thanks to all for keeping such a close eye on us yesterday!!


          Jay - hope you loved that human chains experience!!  I have done that 3 years in a row and am looking forward to joining the human chain gang again next year!!


            Good morning gang,


            Boston race day is always so much fun. A huge congrats to all our runners! Job well done.

            Spareribs, how can we access your interview?

            Byll, I am so sorry to hear that you are having some hammies issues.

            Jlynne, good job with your miles today.


            Up early this morning to run a few recovery miles with my friend speedy Stacey, who btw, BQed on her marathon on Saturday in Wenatchee. So this was our victory lap together to celebrate her BQ. Lovely rain run! I added a 30' XT after I got back home.


            Ok, got to keep this short. Listening to some blues and cleaning the kitchen. A great way to start the day.

            "Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

            King of PhotoShop

              Thanks for the recap Jay.  I suspected that weather may have been a factor for some.  Best Boston days are cold and overcast.


              And while I know many ran well, there is no performance more awesome than that of our Aamos!  What a race!  Congrats sweetie!


              I've been in San Antonio the past two days on college visits for Hudson, so it was very strange for me not to be in front of the TV set all morning watching the race.  We finished up down there and I opened FB on my phone to see that Meb had won and I was blown away.  Old guys rock!


              I got an easy 3.4 miles in this morning, and now off to the surgeon's office for my pre-op session, meeting with anesthesiologist and other tests.


              As to the TV clip Mariposai, here it is. I got most of it right:





                that's a great interview segment Ribs!

                special thanks to Bill for the tracking yesterday. I know that was time consuming. I was live-tracking several of my local friends so it was so nice to pop over here and get such quick updates on our RA friends!


                I guess today I better be double-productive to make up for yesterday


                I coached the distance kids yesterday. some probably don't like me anymore. 3x800, 6x400 and then 2x400 at (almost) rtyp speeds. with w/u and c/d laps they got in a solid 4.5 miles yesterday.



                  Very nice Ribs.


                  WTG Jay volunteering. Cool stuff.


                  As a tribute to all you masters that ran yesterday (and the other 34000 people I don't know that ran) I did a hard hill workout.


                  Back to work.



                  "He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel


                    5.1 miles of low heart rate running.  I can finally run (very slowly) and keep my heart rate down in the Maffetone range.  I have been doing a ton of walking over the past 3.5 weeks.  Today was the first day that I could shuffle along without walking (after the first mile.)  It also kept my heart rate more steady instead of yo-yoing up and down.


                    I remember the first Earth Day.  I was in grade school and they showed a film strip that said we were headed for another ice age because of industrialization.  My how things have changed.  If I live long enough I imagine we will return to ice age warnings again.  It's always something.

                    And so it goes

                    The Goofinator

                      Congrats to Amy and Karin!!  Re Karin - look at this.


                      Thanks, Byll, for keeping track of everything yesterday.  Helped me be more productive . . . unlike some people who shall remain nameless (*cough* "tammster* "cough).


                      7 miles this a.m. with 5x1/2 mile hilly tempo running in the middle.  Egads, by the time I got #5, I was SO glad it was the last one.


                      A co-worker's husband brought in smoked deviled eggs that he made . . .   He also brought in smoke cheese (Swiss and cheddar), but those eggs - Oh Freaking My!!  I was a pig and ate 3 halves.  I justified it by the fact that for the past two months I haven't been able to partake of all the goodies that have been coming through the kitchen, including the cookies The Hub made a couple of weeks ago.  Yep, it's all about justification.  And I hope he makes them again (the eggs) real soon.

                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain


                      Trail Runner Nation



                        A co-worker's husband brought in smoked deviled eggs that he made . . .  


                        Recipe please, if you can get it Leslie? We have a LOT of leftover Easter eggs!!!

                          Fantastic job by all our RA Boston runners.  Many thanks to breger for the updates.  Jay, neat that you volunteered.  ribs, nice interview.  CNY, it's a deserving honor for you to make the newspaper.  I only wish the link was such that I could have read the words.  Nice long run Twocat.


                          This morning, the temperature was in the low 40s and there was a decent wind.  I struggled through 8 miles at an 11:28 pace.


                          A good day and good runs for all.


                          The Goofinator

                            I'll ask him, but I know he used a cold smoker to smoke them whole for a short while once they were hard-boiled.  It was an experiment, and let me just say It Worked!


                            He does a lot of smoking - food, that is - and we get to be his guinea pigs.  His smoked cheeses are really wonderful, too.  Also smoked in his cold smoker.

                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain


                            Trail Runner Nation

                            MM #5615

                              Hello everybody!


                              No run, today, just popping in to say hi.  Very nice interview, Ribs and I hope everything went well with your appointment.


                              Okay--that's it.  See ya!

                                Ribs, lovely interview, and I must say, it is always interesting to hear another RA master's voice for the first time.

                                I did not follow all the action, but it appears I should go back and read over all the adventures and successes from yesterday.


                                I left work early today and did 3 miles with Remi - he found a bone and wanted to get straight home, and he was getting hot in the sun.  So I ditched him, changed into lighter running clothes and went out for a 3.5 mile out and back, uphill and into the wind both ways for a total of 10 miles on this terrific Tuesday.  I am feeling ready to at least cover the half marathon distance now at Ave. of the Giants, but absolutely not to race it.

                                "During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."