Masters Running

Post-Boston & Earth Day Daily, Tuesday, 4.22.14 (Read 47 times)

Congrats to everyone who ran the race yrsterday, and for the many volunteers. Ribs, your interview was great, it puts a special touch on it for everyone.

it it was a wonderful spring day here in MN today so I had to run. I used the alert feature on the Garmin to run ten minute, then walk one minute. I have only been running for about six weeks now and have not done any speed work, nada! So, for those ten minutes I did try to push the pace and it worked! My total time was six minutes less than Sunday when I bailed on that long run. I know I need to practice running faster, so this worked for me today.

I hope that to white has a great vacation, he sure deserves it!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Ribs, lovely interview, and I must say, it is always interesting to hear another RA master's voice for the first time.

That's exactly what I thought. 

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Spareribs very interesting interview.  Nice job!

coastwalker very nice of you to volunteer your time to help out with the race.

Jlynne those are some hours you are scheduled to work!  Have you thought about a career as a morning news anchor?  If you can work those hours you are perfect for the job!

breger1 as a former hamstring sufferer all I can say is let it heal!

TammyinGP if they do well at their next meet all will be forgiven!

Dave59 heh, I too remember the coming ice age forecasts!  This winter they seem to have come true!

fatozzig I have a cold smoker and your post has me convinced I am not using it enough!  I have to try smoking more things and see how they come out.

tselbs nice running even if you did not think so.  Just remember most people think that if you run 3 miles you are a hero.  Running 8?  They view as impossible!

enkephalin my DW was in the same boat as you for her HM (the More in NYC).  She did the run-walk routine, looked strong all the way through and ran a great race.  If you feel under trained to race it you might try the run-walk system from the start like my DW.  You may be surprised at how fast you turn out to be.

StarrRuns good strategy, make sure you tell enkephalin!

I ran yesterday so no run for me today.  Tomorrow I plan on doing 10 in the morning.  The weather looks to be just perfect for it.  Speaking of weather, I have started obsessing over the coming weather in Cincinnati.  Two days ago the long range forecast was perfect!  Low 60's for the high.  The race starts at 6:30am so that meant running mostly in 50° weather.  This morning the rats changed the long range forecast to the low 80's for the high!  What is with that?  

Speaking of Cincinnati any suggestions on where to go for dinner the night of the marathon (Sunday)?  Figure, quantity is no object!  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

2Kitty - So far I've had Joe's smoked cheddar, smoked Swiss, and smoked jack cheeses, and then the eggs today.  He does the cheeses by the big bricks.  I'll find out from him how long he smokes everything and see if he'll give me the extra ingredients for the deviled eggs.  He topped them with a little bit of  chopped bacon and chives.  They were hands down the best deviled eggs I've ever had.

From Joe:

Both the eggs and cheese are cold smoked. Meaning that the smoke temp is no higher than 75°-80°. I smoke the cheese for 3-4 hrs. Now for the eggs, I just hard boiled them, then peel and put on top grill of smoker for no longer 45 minutes. You can fix the yolks any way you wish. I'm glad you enjoyed them.

The Eggs:  It varies with the amount of eggs you decide to do. Its hard for me to break down the measurements so I will give you the measurements for 6 eggs and then you can add or take away from there. 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of spicy mustard, 1 teaspoon paprika,a dash of salt, some pepper and top with bacon and chives

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I remember the first Earth Day.

Me too dave and thanks for mentioning it jay.  In fact, I remember the first earth day (but called "Environmental Action" - EnAct) the year before the first national one when a graduate student in Oriental Studies asked another grad student in another department who had been his classmate the prior year in language studies in then heavily-polluted Japan (just as China is now) if he could organize a luncheon panel on what was going on over here too, e.g. the regular burnings of the Cayuhoga River, Dow Chemical, the Santa Barbara oil spill, etc.  The luncheon ended up being a three day affair featuring Ralph Nader, Barry Commoner, Sens Gaylord Nelson and Edwin Muskie, entertainers Arthur Godfrey, Eddie Albert and Gordon Lightfoot, an environmental lawyer from NY (probably the first one), and others. The next year they did one on Asian Environments and were sent on to environmental studies in Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan and Europe. . Those were the days.  We were going to change the world.  Oh well.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Good morning Jay and all to follow. Thanks for volunteering yesterday. And isn't that what makes runners such a great group of people? They always give back. 

And one more word of thanks to Bill for keeping track of all our RA friends running yesterday.

Nice interview Ribs.

Justification is a powerful tool, Leslie. Use it wisely.

Tet, where would the world be today without that three day luncheon? Even changing a person's world for a day has a lasting impact. Picking up a discarded cup in a parking lot, makes a positive change.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Great interview Ribs!

All day seminar yesterday so no time to post, but I did get in 6 miles yesterday morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Me too dave and thanks for mentioning it jay.  In fact, I remember the first earth day (but called "Environmental Action" - EnAct) the year before the first national one when a graduate student in Oriental Studies asked another grad student in another department who had been his classmate the prior year in language studies in then heavily-polluted Japan (just as China is now) if he could organize a luncheon panel on what was going on over here too, e.g. the regular burnings of the Cayuhoga River, Dow Chemical, the Santa Barbara oil spill, etc.  The luncheon ended up being a three day affair featuring Ralph Nader, Barry Commoner, Sens Gaylord Nelson and Edwin Muskie, entertainers Arthur Godfrey, Eddie Albert and Gordon Lightfoot, an environmental lawyer from NY (probably the first one), and others. The next year they did one on Asian Environments and were sent on to environmental studies in Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan and Europe. . Those were the days.  We were going to change the world.  Oh well.

"Tet, where would the world be today without that three day luncheon? Even changing a person's world for a day has a lasting impact. Picking up a discarded cup in a parking lot, makes a positive change."

Tet, it's great to hear about that.  Thanks.   I remember the first national one too, but I unlike Dave was not in grade school!

wonderful comment, Steve.

You've both reminded me of that Graham Nash song.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHK__w2ukvY.      A few years ago, we were fixing to break into my snooty subdivision's (sorry.  judgmental) 4th of July parade & change the world.    My BF was going to back out because his father somehow found out about it & threatened him.   We drove around the night before the scheduled event, & this song came on the radio.    Well, we did disrupt the parade (anti-war) & of course he got arrested.   & his dad took his guitar ; ).    But we tried!   I'll remember now to pick up discarded cups.   Smile