Masters Running

Suddenly it's Sunday 12/2/18 (Read 38 times)

SteveP

RunnerKSA expands on the size of her household's heart. She dodged the drops and put in 4 miles. Sadly, she didn't have to beat up any little kids for a doughnut. Maybe next time.

BTY powers through the pool. Man is he aver gearing up to be competitive.

Tom White dons his pool shoes for 40 min. He passes tried and true tips to a friend.

Tetsujin209 got in a power walk while wearing shoes.

Jlynne keeps it sweet with her elliptical/weight mashup.

Joe618 offers encouragement when he pops in. His 4+ feel good miles sound sweet.

Coastwalker beams over DN's performance. His 9.1 got it done miles are impressive.

Dave59  has a nice 3.51 mile condo hike. Here's hoping for a good run.

Spacityrunner celebrates her 1st AG in a hilly cherry picked 5K. Take your victories where you can get them.

Quickadder makes a triumphant reappearance and smashes out 13.9 in 75F temps

Evanflein checks in. Our politics often neglects the rural point of view. She has a fine 8.3 but fights with equipment shortcomings.

Mrrun puts a smile on a face or two.

Bioguy knocks out six and dissects a drier. good for you.

MikeE burns of Christmas shopping stress with his 6 miler.

TwoCat put in an hour on the treadmill! wow!

Stumpy rubs our noses in the fact that he has a new pup.

Falconfixer is as excellent as ever. His PT makes me long for my youth. I'd do the junk without anyone making me.

Mariposai has the work from home blues. She still dates a wonderful EZ Pacer out on the track.

I hit 4 easy miles on the treadmill while watching Batman:Bad Blood. I guess my family isn't too dysfunctional. I got a chunk knocked out of the house cleaning and laundry while DW did the crafts show things with DD#1, DD#3, 10 5/6 year old Noah and one month old baby Owen. Someone at the crafts show was selling zippy bags of reindeer food. Noah bought some. ggggrrr.

The DW and I put two miles in on the trails with Avenger Doggie and his side kick du jour, Marley. Firearm deer season is over!

Then we had Noah over for a little talk followed by some action. We mixed up a batch of real authentic reindeer food to give away with chunks of the Northern Lights to help guide the flying flea bags.

I can manage to do the quote from a previous thread but it is not an elegant solution. I quote in the original thread and then cut and paste into a reply on the current thread. Can build multiple quotes in a similar fashion. Would welcome a simpler way.

Okay--now, tet's just showing off.

SteveP

bioguy

Thanks for the start. We are heading back home and I’ll go to school and work. Hope to sneak in a run. Put the dryer back together and it works; really glad I tried the repair.

Tailwinds!

Then we had Noah over for a little talk followed by some action. We mixed up a batch of real authentic reindeer food to give away with chunks of the Northern Lights to help guide the flying flea bags.

Such an endearing term: "flying flea bags"

And radio active reindeer food? Great stuff!  The candy store I'm working at for the holidays is selling little bags of "reindeer food" which includes oatmeal, mini chocolate chips, some sprinkles and assorted other stuff. It was flying out of the store yesterday. The economy must be very strong around here - I had several orders over $200. Really? Who spends $200+ on candy?? I even waited on some football fans from Arizona.

Tramps - the movie "Green Book" was a "feel good" movie, granted. And I wish I could say that the segregation problem is much improved since the 60's. But sometimes it's nice to just watch a flick and forget about all of the bad stuff going on in the world today. If a movie can leave you imagining that people of all colors can get along, is that such a bad thing? Even for a little while?

We're in the middle of a snowstorm here. Nice day for a football game at Lambeau Field, and SO glad we gave our tickets to DS#2 and his GF. I've got my snowshoes out and will head out for a few miles on the trail when it lets up a bit.

Have a peaceful Sunday everyone.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Steve--so what the heck is that glowing stuff?

Jlynne--I hear ya. Though one of the most interesting things about working with a diverse population of students over the years has been seeing how ideas about race have evolved rather quickly. In recent years they're much more ready to confront uncomfortable things--both history and current issues--more honestly and head on. It's one of the areas I find most hopeful about the future. (Have fun snowshoeing!)

Re: pictures--Most of you know this but for others, here's my understanding; correct me if I'm wrong and add caveats.

• RA doesn't store pictures on its servers, it only links to pictures stored elsewhere. That's why you can't upload a photo directly from your computer/phone.
            • You can link to photos stored at a photo hosting site (Google Photos, Flickr, etc), social network sites (Facebook, Instagram, etc), or most websites (newspaper, etc). The URL (web address) for these photos can usually be found by right-clicking on the photo and choosing "copy image address" (or its equivalent). To link to a photo stored on your computer, you can always upload it first to a site like TinyPic which exists precisely to give your photo a URL. (Be aware that all hosting sites and services have pretty atrocious terms of agreement that no one reads. "Free" is never free. You can usually find layperson explanations of the "terms of service" agreements for different sites. Here's one explanation for Google Photos, for example. Facebook's has long been one of the worst in terms of invasiveness.) 
            • There are many caveats here depending on the device you are using. Some of this won't work from some phones, etc. I'm not a big phone user so others will have to chime in about tricks and workarounds they might know.
            • Once you have the URL, just click the little photo icon (a mountain with sun) at the top of the screen when you're writing and paste it into the "source" box and you get this:

(Happy Hanukkah!)

Steady rain out so I think this will be a rest day, unless it clears up later.

Be safe. Be kind.

Erika, sounds sorta like Detroit is to Michigan as Anchorage is to Alaska. In reality, the Detroit area is the only really large metro area in the state, plus state politics have always been the western, Grand Rapids area (Betsy DeVos territory) vs. "The People's Republic of Detroit", as they say over there . BTW, glad to hear you didn't have any real effects from the quakes. My brother worked in Berkeley, CA when they had that big one a while ago, where his usual route across to where he worked in SF was the bridge that pancaked!

Was a bit sluggish and WAY overdressed out by the lake this morning. It went from low 40s when I arrived to mid-50s by the time I left for home. I could easily have run in shorts and a long-sleeve shirt instead of tights, jacket, etc. Of course, it will be back in the low 30s tomorrow. Such is our weather around here.

Anyway, I got in 5 miles at an 11+ run/walk pace. My friend who dragged me to such a good time last week is back in Florida now.

This is also the day of our town's annual Christmas Parade. It seems like the weather is always one extreme or the other (I can recall my DS's last time marching in the HS band on a bitter December morning). With the day shaping up to be so nice, my DW and I might walk down to watch for a few minutes. Seems like only yesterday that my DS and I were in the parade on our Indian Guides "tribal" float...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

alright, that didn't work.

oh well more practice on pictures.  Still puppy walking, no running.

Falcon--impressive testing!  Can't imagine how long it might take me to do 100 PUs.  Wow.

Image may contain: dog

Ah, second time's the charm.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Thanks, Steve and happy Sunday, y'all.

The whole photo thing is one of my few gripes with RA, but I get why Eric doesn't want to store a ton of pictures for us.

6.2 pretty miserable miles on a gorgeous, 63 degree, sunny day.  I rarely get sick, but I think I am sick again- sore throat this time.  Went to the walk-in clinic after my run (you know you are a runner when your run is so bad that you know something must be wrong with you....)/ Strept test was negative but they will send out the culture for the longer test.  Probably a virus causing the sore throat.  HR was high and the attempt at low HR was a total fail on my run even with lots of short walking breaks.  Oh well.  I got out in the sunshine at least.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618

Let's try a photo from Google Photos.

My two youngest granddaughters

2nd try with image

Doesn't look like that worked, despite having a URL from Google Photos.

I wonder if this link will work for the photo of my two granddaughters.

I'll try this more...but I'm posting using a Chromebook on the Chrome browser.  Likely some flag somewhere that gets in the way.

Such a first world problem...

Falcon, that is an impressive PT test...well done!!

Ran 14ish around sunrise this morning..more on that in a sec.   But, unexpectedly, I got to see with my own eyes examples of the so-called "Gig Economy".    At about 7:15am, I was running on my normal long route along a large apartment complex which has housed Purdue students for many years.  I have niticed since last fall the preveleance of many, many Bird Scooters parked all around campus.   If you've seen these in your town, you know them...if not, these are small, electric scooters which are parked, unsecured, to pick up, ride and leave wherever, all with a scan and click of an app.  The deal is each scooter needs to be picked up every night after 10pm local time, charged and then replaced by 7am the next morning.   Bird contracts with local individuals who pick up the scooters, haul them home, charge overnight, and replace the next morning, paying them $5 per scooter per night to recharge.  I've been fascinated by this organization of a distributed workforce, all connected via a single phone app.   But this morning, at 7:15am, I actually saw three different folks who had charged scooters and were replacing them this morning.   I actually talked with two of them.  One guy said he charged 30 to 50 scooters a night.   "Does it pay?" I asked.   He smiled "If you don't have a regular job, it's a good deal."   Hmmmm.     I saw another lady unloading scooters out of her pickup.  "How many did you charge last night?"  I asked.   "Seventeen."   Does it pay?  "If you do 3 a night, not really...but 15 to 20 a night is a decent deal."    Fascinating.  

Then, as I ran back towards home, closer to 8am, I saw a minivan pulling out of the same apartment complex, the driver fiddling with her smart phone, the car having both Uber and Lyft logo signs in the window.   More Gig Economy jobs.

You read about this stuff...it was fascinating to see it up close.   Without smartphones (the one thing in common for all these things), none of it could happen at all.

Oh, and my long run?   Went lousy.   Right glute really sore and tight.   'Nuff said.

Enjoy your week, folks.

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Hi Masters - back from a fun weekend with friends celebrating a 50th birthday and enjoying Christmas Prelude in Kennebunkport!!

Just what I needed weekend with lots of laughs and quite a bit of celebrating!!

Sorry to post about my sad Wed at work then not be able to reply to posts - yes usually the labor floor is a very happy place to be, but we are a high risk, high volume unit so we see it all and Wed was just unusually bad. Still very thankful for the work I do and the care I am able to provide in both the joy and the sorrow.

Stumpy - I love your new addition!!

MikeE - glad to hear your son is moving home!!

Runs - 1.2 in jeans after we checked in to the townhouses in Wells, Maine --- had to get our fat ass challenge miles in!!

Sat - 5.2 miles with the birthday girl - lots of stopping for fun pictures, a mimosa stop at 2.5 miles and a short distance of running right on the beach before we ate a hardy potluck breakfast and went in to Christmas Prelude.

Sun - 4.2 drizzly miles

Time to get ready for 5p mass then watch the end of the Patriots game - think I will be going to bed very early tonight!!

denise

Joe- the gig economy is fascinating, but, as you can imagine- tons of turnover.  We experiment with it a little at our company with a concept/app called “Roadie”.  It’s sort of like Uber for delivery.  Say you buy something at one of our stores that is too big or heavy for you to haul home.  You get on the Roadie app and an available delivery person will respond and show up to take it home for you.  Some of these drivers are even our off-duty store employees.  Don’t get me started on the liability concerns, but it is a helpful service.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618

Joe- the gig economy is fascinating, but, as you can imagine- tons of turnover.  We experiment with it a little at our company with a concept/app called “Roadie”.  It’s sort of like Uber for delivery.  Say you buy something at one of our stores that is too big or heavy for you to haul home.  You get on the Roadie app and an available delivery person will respond and show up to take it home for you.  Some of these drivers are even our off-duty store employees.  Don’t get me started on the liability concerns, but it is a helpful service.

Indeed, Karen.   Those are all real.   I'm just amazed at the number of people who will haul a scooter home late at night and deliver it early the next day for $5 a pop.   And I saw three of them in a quarter mile part of the road.   One of them actually took advantage of the turnover...he was, I'd guess, in his 40s and commented how many scooters he can charge on a Saturday night when "the competing Purdue students aren't interested."  And he charged close to 50 last night.

It is the challenge to the status quo which most fascinates me about this.   Indeed, the turnover is big...so that's a management exercise.   The liability question is real...that's a legal challenge.   Your "Roadie" role is a good one...can sell more big stuff.  And it's a challenge.   How do we take these disruptive forces and do judo with them and turn to our advantage.

I enjoy challenges.  

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

bioguy

Went to my classroom and cleaned the lab a bit. Quick grocery trip and just enough time to run 3. Now wrestling with a frozen nut holding the toilet tank on. Want to paint behind it and install new trim.

Tailwinds!

wildchild

Carolyn

Interesting about the scooter charging jobs.  Not something we see out here in the boonies, but I'm sure Denver has lots.

I planned to meet some friends for a trail run at 9 this morning in Evergreen.  When I got up, it was only 7 degrees at my house, and not much warmer in Evergreen, so we quickly changed plans and met at a different trail down in Golden, where it was in the low 20s.  It was in the 30s by the time we finished our 8.5 miles, so not bad at all!  Nice to have different temperature options due to the altitude variations here.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

That would be nice to be able to drive a few miles to find better weather conditions when you don't like yours.  I'd have to drive quite a ways.

Jeanne--how do you like the decision to fire McCarthy?  13 seasons is not a bad run.

I ran 6 more miles, today, on the treadmill, while watching the Vikings get beat.  The Bears might be the only team from the NFC North to make the playoffs, this year.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!