Masters Running

Saturday 12/20 Runs (Read 560 times)

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, I'm up with an early run this morning...lots of stuff to do today. 10.11 miles of hills @ 8:54 pace...wonderful run today in 60F temps and overcast....will finish up some Christmas shopping later. Good runs to all & healing vibes to those on the DL...4 months til Boston!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
    Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
    Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good morning peter and thank you. If I didn't have so much to do too I'd be doing it too but, as it is, I'm up early too for a non-run in the Pigtails Flat Ass 50K that I'd like not to do not just because the RD is a famous local princess (still about three years away from boomer goddess status though) who has won the Trail Runner Magazine Trophy Series for the last two years with winning most of her more than 50 marathons and ultras each year, but also because, . . . uhmm, . . . let's see, . . . oh yeah, . . . because I love running in the winter on packed slippery, icy snow so much especially when it's 20F with biting winds. In fact, maybe I'll start it off by going back to sleep. viva la tapering. <>afterallit'sstill5:30amhere)>>> ,

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

'morning guys. Cat woke me up at 5:18 this morning - but I've got a long list of stuff to do today so it's just as well. 5.24 miles this morning at a nice and easy 10:04 pace. A little windy and cold, but tomorrow's gonna be worse with sleet and freezing rain. Oh joy. But I'm not complaining (much). I am grateful to be healthy enough to head out in any weather. Peter! 4 months!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Ummm Peter, nice run but check your calendar before posting a subject line. It's not Christmas quite yet! This morning I ran with the Big Boys and Girls. As expected they gave me a good workout. I started out with the really fast group initially before they headed off for 22 or so. So after that I tried to catch up with another group who was a ways ahead of me. Every time I caught up to them (after running my legs off) it seemed like they took a turn and I was on my own again. This happened 3 or 4 times. Oh well. So I just kept going at what felt like a solid pace. Overall, 17 miles at 8:23 min/mile pace - about 15 seconds below MP, really quick and long for me. I'm seriously happy with this one. Several miles in the 8:00 minute range and many miles at 8:10 and 8:20. Avg HR 147. IRC. Bagel breakfast after running with the group. Now for a nice nap ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

You can tell Peter has Christmas on his mind Smile Hey, Bill -- that was a heckova run, my friend. Good luck in your 50K, Tet! I don't think I had a chance to post yesterday. Last two days were recovery runs: Friday: 3.2, 29:07, 9:13/mi, AHR 127 (?!?) Today: 5.1, 46:55, 9:11/mi, AHR 137 Not sure what was with my HR yesterday, maybe I was getting bad readings. Today I felt a little sluggish.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh boy - I hope it is not the 25th yet!! Big grin I think I joined the more degrees than miles club today - if you factor in the wind chill anyway. 9 degrees - windchill ZERO. I ran 7 sloggy mile - 11:03 pace - 167 avg HR. We are supposed to get hit with another storm late tonight into tomorrow. Looks like if I do anything tomorrow it wil be on the dreadmill for sure. Happy Saturday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

WOW Peter you scared me I thought I'd over slept because I don't have a cat to wake me up Roll eyes Well I did sleep very well last night Cool Anyway 5.5 miles around the neighborhood figure 8 loop at 9 MM pace w/DW Smile She is getting fast Big grin Peter and Bill nice runs Smile Let's see if you can shop that good Peter Roll eyes PDR I agreed 100%, grateful for everyday I can run Everyone have a great weekend!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet – I don’t understand, are really you running it today or just teasing us? Smile PDR – yes, here, too. I did my LR today, too, just because of the freezing rain in tonight’s forecast. Bill – you are just doing awesome! I only dream of runs like that. SimonR - thank you! That is very kind of you to say. Smile I decided today to run a “simulated 5K.” McMillan predicts my current 5K pace at 8:10, based on my Thanksgiving Day 5-mile race, and I wanted to see if that was accurate. 25 degrees out, with 12mph winds, I chose a stretch of bike path that was relatively flat and ran out away from the wind (is that cheating?). After a 2.7 mile warm up (ave pace 10:33), I hit “Lap” on the Garmin and took off. “Simulated 5K” official results: Mile 1: 7:56 Mile 2: 8:05 (slight hill) Mile 3: 7:59 Last .1: .46 (7:35) Time: 24:47 (ave pace 7:59) 1/1 AG 1/1 OA Smile I dreaded this run, hated it while I was doing it – pretty much like every other 5K I've run…While it may be true that even the elites suffer the same 5K pain – lungs tearing, side cramps, feel-like-puking, etc – people like me are out there suffering that misery at least 10 minutes longer, so I have absolutely no sympathy for them…Big grin Still, there’s nothing quite like that feeling of triumph at the end of a hard effort. I should do one of these every month, and gauge my progress, like SR. After a short walk break, I re-Lapped the Garmin, continued with 10.2 more miles, on legs stiff with “simulated 5K” fatigue, with several short walk breaks (ave pace 10:52). Total distance: 16 miles This gives me a "current 5K" number to plug into McMillan and get some pace advice. I think according to this I need to be running my 800s faster.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anachrotech

Back at it after flu. 2 miles on the old treadmill. Now on to what I hate doing - wrapping gifts. Good runs all.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

flash - just woke up and realized I'm already nine miles into today's nonrun 50K. some of my friends aren't so lucky as to have other stuff to do today so I'll find out how they are doing in six or seven hours. RD reported this morning's conditions as trail covered with about 2 inches of packed down snow but very runnable . . . but bring or do what you need to feel secure. . You'll be working different muscles, so try to take it easy and enjoy the snow For me, snow's for skiing but maybe I'd like to try it running someday.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

“Simulated 5K” official results: Mile 1: 7:56 Mile 2: 8:05 (slight hill) Mile 3: 7:59 Last .1: .46 (7:35) Time: 24:47 (ave pace 7:59) 1/1 AG 1/1 OA Smile
                        Congrats Holly!! Big grin About the more miles than degrees.... If it's -1F and you run 0 miles, does that qualify?
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          Ok, so I was looking for some motivation to get out into the 19F, with winds coming later freezing cold, and I think Holly just gave it to me! Wow, awesome effort! The roads are so slippery here that I won't be able to get to the gym and run on the TM. And I don't own yaktraks. So, slowly sipping another coffee and procrastinating big time! Got my balaclava (sp?) and wind pants all set to go...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tramps

Great run, Byll. Holly—super effort showing McMillan who’s the boss! Tet—sometimes I think I need a translator for your posts. Confused Typically a rest day for me but tomorrow’s forecast of cold, windy rain was enough to get me out there today instead. 15.66 miles on my hilly-palooza route @ 8:36 pace, 135 AHR/67% HRR. 40F by the end but I wish I had worn gloves since a good stiff breeze kept my hands pretty darn chilly. I sympathize will all of you struggling with tough weather this weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Bill, that is one of the best LR's you have posted. Well done. Holly, why don't you try 800's at 4:09 with a one minute rest. See if you can do four of them that way, no faster. And see how you feel on the last one. If you ever do an interval workout where you say to yourself, "this pace is too slow," then that means you should do another 800, not speed up the pace. I got 5 miles in today giving me back-to-back 30 mile weeks. My fiveK race was within that 5 miles (one mile w/u, and one mile c/d). This is a far cry from the way I used to run a fiveK (fiveK w/u and fiveK c/d), but that's where I am. My goal was to run 8:30's or better and I missed it by a second per mile, running 8:31's. But progress is progress and I am not complaining. These are very slow steps and I am relishing every one of them. Spareribs
                              anachrotech

But progress is progress and I am not complaining. These are very slow steps and I am relishing every one of them. Spareribs
                                1 !!!! Thank you - I needed that.