White Rock Marathon (Read 225 times)

pfriese

Short version:

Chip time - 4:04:17

Gun time - 4:15:33

OA - 1497/4453

AG - 88/260

Long version:

Reason for running: My goal fall marathon was MCM where I achieved my goal of 3:50. I also ran the HHFMM in late November for the challenge of the course. Most of my long-run training friends were training for the White Rock Marathon. I had not even considered running with them and instead intended on rest, recuperation, and planning for a spring goal marathon. I recovered well from the HHFMM. I took an easy week after HHFMM, then upped my miles back up to >40miles/week. Longest run being ~8miles. I ran a couple of runs with the training group and they got my interest up for White Rock. Opie (from KR) of course egged me on a bit with having a place to stay, so I told everyone if it did not fill, I would sign up at the expo. It didn't fill, so I called Opie up Friday night and we made arrangements to ride down to Dallas on Saturday.

Goals (I always need goals): Since I already had met my time goal for the year and really wassn't trained up to attempt a PR in this race, I had to set myself some different goals.

• Goal 1 - In all of my recent marathons, I have suffered with stomach cramps, side stitches, nauseau, etc. I had given up on GU/gels several marathons before as the cause of these issues, yet still had isssues even w/o gels. In this race I decided to try the gels again, but starting far earlier in the race. Previousely I had waited until around mile 18 or so before taking a gel. In this race my plan was to take a gel every 10K or so. My thinking on this was that maybe it was an empty stomach that was causing my issues and that if I fueled earlier, maybe I could postpone these issues until after the finish.
    • Goal 2 - The other goal for this race was to try to achieve negative splits in a marathon. This is a bit of a repeat of goal 1, but since I was not pressured by time, I could really slow down at the start. Since I registered late at the expo, I was put in the last starting wave group, forcing me to go slow early on.
    Race day: We left the hotel early enough to arrive at the start about 1 hour before the race. That turned out to be cutting it too close. Everyone decided to arrive at the same time and via the same route, or so it seemed. We got caught in a huge traffic jam. The off-ramp from the freeway was a real bottleneck. We could see the starting area, but were not moving. From 7:00-7:30, we had progressed no further than 1/4 of a mile. At 7:35, I told Opie to bail out and walk the 1/2 mile to the start. He took my advice and soon after it seemed that most of the multi-passenger vehicles were doing the same with runners scampering down the embankment to the start area. At 7:53, I finally pulled into the parking lot (got the last space in that lot). I arrived at the back of my corral at 7:57. The race started at 8:00.

FR - Yellow/black Marathon Maniac singlet over long-sleeved black tech shirt, navy running shorts, Thorlos socks, black & yelow NB 904 shoes, white running hat and throwaway gloves (no throwaway shirt). While sitting in traffic, I checked Facebook and Spareribs had posted that it was a singlet only day and that most would be way overdressed for the race. I took his advice and shed the long-sleeved black shirt and gloves, running in a singlet. He was dead-on in his prediction, thanks Spareribs.

Weather - At start foggy and 51 degrees, at finish sunny and 62 degrees, light breeze, IRC.

The race: Starting at the back of the field provided an interesting perspective. I took it real easy and avoided bobbing & weaving as I passed slower runners. My pace for the first mile was >10min/mile. Coming out of downtown, the crowd started easing up a bit and I was able to run a comfortable pace of 9:15-9:30/mile. It was still very crowded, but much easier to manuever. I had planned my first gel at the 6 mile water station, but the crowds were still too thick for me to even try to take one on the run. I decided to wait until the lake after the half-marathoners had split off. After the half group split off, the course opened up a bit and I was able to set in at a nice 9:00/mile pace. I took my first gel at mile 9 with plenty of water. Miles 8-18 are easy rolling terrain around White Rock lake. Very scenic and easy to run. I picked up my pace a bit through here. I passed one of my long-run training friends at mile 15. He was pretty close to his expected pace and doing well. Mile 18 is the low elevation point on the course. I took my second gel here, once again with plenty of water and proceeded on to the big hill on the course (Dolly Parton hill). It's really not that big of a hill but being from mile 19-21, it is in a tough place on the course. From mile 21 to the finish it is truly downhill all the way. I planned on just holding my pace even at around 9:00/mile through here which would put me in a bit below 4 hours. At mile 22, I heard someone shout "Go Paul" from the crowd. Since my bib did not have my name on it, that suprised me. I have no idea who it was, though it was nice to have someone in the crowd shout-out. Just past mile 23, I caught up with another long run training friend who had started in B corral. His goal was 3:50 (trying to beat my MCM time). He was really struggling and walking at the time. Since I had no goal time and was only shooting for negative splits and a strong finish, I walked with him for a bit and we started running again after a couple of blocks. I decided to stay with him and try to help get him the rest of the way in. We ran together until ~25.5 miles and he said he had to walk again. We walked to mile 26 and ran the last 0.2 in. He finished with a 4:13 (15 minute PR for him, but he was still pretty bummed). At the finish we met the third member of our long-run training group who ran White Rock. He had finished with a 4:08 (30 minute PR for him). He, too, had struggled a bit the last 1.5 miles.

Post race: Water, food, beer at the finish festival, in that order. Then off to find Opie to get checked-out of hotel and back to OKC.

White Rock Marathon comments: This is the 3rd time I've run this race. It is a beautiful course and well organized. For the first time though, I do have three complaints of which 2 are beyond the RD's jurisdiction.

1. The race has gotten very large. This was even more evident from starting at the back. The streets are narrow with too many runners. If they had not had a wave start this year, it would have been a stampede. Since the race proceeds all go to charity, bigger is better; but don't make it any bigger. Maybe start the half marathon separately.
    2. Some of the streets that the course follows were in pretty bad shape. Very rough and uneven with some pretty good sized pot-holes (some marked, some not). Once again the RD is limited as to fixing this problem. Hopefully the city will prioritize fixing these streets before next year.
    3. The one thing I think the RD can fix is the finish area. There was no water at the finish area. We got our medals, finisher shirts, and space blankets there, but no water. We had to cross through a crowd of spectators to get to the athletes village a block away to get water after the race. Either get the water closer to the finish or have better control of the crowd so the runners can make their way to the athletes finish area/village more easily
    Post-race conclusions: I had positive splits from walking with my friend. Extrapolating out my Garmin data, it looks like the half-split would have been almost dead even. I had no digestive/cramping/bonking issues in this marathon. Even though I walked a bit with a friend, I felt like I could maintain pace for the full distance. I'll try this early gel supplementing on more of my long training runs in the future and hopefully this will permanently solve that issue. Right now, my next goal is to BQ. With that in mind, I think I'll forego a spring marathon and focus on a goal fall marathon to achieve this. I've not selected the marathon for this attempt.

Thanks for reading.

Paul

pfriese, thanks for the interesting race report.  I feel like I was there beside you.  I like the way you had made appropriate goals for yourself.  You did really well, and were also kind enough to walk with your friend.  Say hi to me to Opie if you are on KR.
        Thanks for the report, Paul.  I am not surprised that the race has gotten too big with the growth of the half-marathon.  That's a problem and would be a deal-breaker for me as a runner.  I never felt the City of Dallas got behind the marathon the way other cities do, and I'm sure there was no concern about the condition of the streets for the race.  When I lived there the Dolly Partons seemed like big hills, but after training in Nashville, they wouldn't seem like much.   I was one of the people on the White Rock Board who opposed the growth of the race that many were pushing.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Congrats on another fine race, Paul.  Glad the digestive issues did not give you problems.  Perhaps you've found the answer to that. 

White Rock is on my to do list. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Congratulations Paul on another fine marathon with a different flavor for you.  It must have been nice to finish without being wiped out!  It sounds like they should have started the half at 7:30.  Good luck on your BQ quest.  But remember.. if you target a Fall marathon you likely won't be able to run Boston until 21012!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

pfriese, it sounds like the day was a success.  You avoided the stomach distress, got your negative splits, spent time with opie, and helped a friend finish.  Good job.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Paul - Very nice report - I really enjoyed reading this!  I hope that ends up being the answer to the gel/Gu issues for you.  I find that those marathons with no goal time are so much more enjoyable then those where I’m trying to get a “best performance” in.  Good luck with your fall BQ attempt.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great report, Paul.  It's always wonderful to hear when someone stops to help encourage a struggling runner.  Re the stomach/nausea issues - getting something in your stomach earlier is one of the keys I found, as well.  I can have some pretty nasty stomach issues anyway, but when I began taking in small amounts of calories earlier, it really helped.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance