Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 8.14.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts:
    Dave (1.3 miles to avoid a weekly goose egg)
    RunnerKSA (3.1 miles)
    Tramps (66 mile bike ride with TriBee on a new route - starting fine, finishing on fumes)
    Holly (18 miles with walking breaks under a brilliant sun)
    Mariposai (5 miles with Easy Pacer under [finally] clear skies)
    Rochrunner (4 recovery miles + a couple more walking with friends)
    Evanflein (6.7 miles with hillage)
    Wildchild (19 miles with a friend on the Colorado Trail)
    Mike (6.2 post-church miles)

Interesting dinner you had on Friday, RunnerKSA. Congrats to your DD on her big tri PR at Nationals!

Good job on the berry picking with DIL, Evanflein.

You earned a nap with that long ride yesterday, Tramps. How’d TriBee do?

Nice long run, Holly. Interesting book about things we are totally unfamiliar with…

Glad you’ve finally got some smokefree air again, Mariposai.

Good job of taking advantage of your early arrival, Rochrunner.

Nice carrot-thinning cross-training, Evanflein.

Strange that your Garmin and your RP’s phone are so far off on distance, Wildchild. Good run, regardless.

Congrats to your GD on her 16th birthday and passing her driver’s test - two exciting (?) milestones!

I did some yard work yesterday, but not as much as I wanted to do ‘cause my legs were shot after my longish, under-fueled workout, and my back was not happy about all the bending. For dinner, DW and I had grilled halloumi with sliced tomatoes and fresh basil, and then homemade cod cakes that were pretty tasty, even if we say so ourselves. Nice way to top off the weekend.

SRD today, so I caught up on some reading instead of heading down the road.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Happy Monday to all.

3.1 miles with a little drizzle.  A rare shoe that I completely hate is the Hoka Clayton, which I wore today.  It squeaked loudly with the SuperFeet insoles which I put in to try to like the shoe better.  Not good.

2 miles on the treadmill after work watching the news.  The GOOD news is that a new study says moderate drinking can be good for your health!    

5.1 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Jay--if her back holds out, TriBee can go all day.

Easy 14 mile ride this morning to loosen up the legs.

Be safe. Be kind.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Had guests in from out of town over the weekend.

Got back to it with 5 at lunchtime.

Sticky and nasty day, been spoiled the last few runs

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

TammyinGP

Hi all,

haven't checked in for the last few days. Had a busy weekend - Saturday was an all day "kitten adoption event" I helped with. Only 4 kittens adopted but hey! 4 kittens were adopted! It usually doesn't take long for all our kittens to be adopted, but the particular store we were at for this event, doesn't get as much traffic as a Petco or PetSmart for example where I'm sure almost all 14 we brought would have been adopted. 

Sunday was a nice cool day - so ran 7 miles in the morning and then spent the rest of the day just working on neglected things - like garden, laundry, dog grooming - all those fun things. 
            Today is another comfortable day in the mid 80's so will get in another run this evening after work. then we head back up to the mid 90's, which is a given since it's Fair week here. 

have a good day folks!

Tammy

Henrun

Got home last evening and did 4 jet lagged miles this morning (a bit faster than usual). Although it was in the low 60's with low humidity it felt much warmer and more humid than the dry cool air in Iceland (high40's and low 50's). Did the usual errands post travel this morning (post office, food, etc.). Kept running into a friend who was on the same circuit. Definitely a summer thing here. Some naps to try adjusting our sleep and meal patterns.

BTY

Huzzah!  Beautiful weather for the Albany area, especially for running.  Not so much for swimming but heck I remember getting in the pool near the end of summer vacation as a kid when the air temp was in the 60's and the water temp was in the 70's and it felt great getting in and out of the pool.  It'd probably keel me now.

So today I cut back the daily mileage to 3 for my lunchtime run.  I'm only running 3 days a week (at most) now instead of the 5 or 6 I used to run, so weekly mileage is pretty pitiful if you look at it without considering all things.  For example last week I ran a 4 and a 6 and missed the third day so only totaled 10 miles and felt inwardly ashamed at that, though I shouldn't.  Anyone else get that way?

Dropping back from 4 to 3 for the day allowed me to run a progression run with some confidence that it would actually progress, and that it did.  My easy running zone these days seems to be in the 8:35 - 9:05 range (depending on the weather conditions) and today's progression went 8:36 / 27 / 05.   I didn't know I ran an 8:05 for the last mile until I actually did the math when I got back inside the building.

That was at lunchtime.  This morning before work I did a back/biceps workout at the gym.

My peaches are ripening.  I have a young peach tree in the yard that has never yielded more than a few peaches at most, and the deer got to my largest potential harvest (4 to 6, hard to tell) a couple of years ago.  There were none last year due to a frost after the blossoms had come out, so this year there was a ton of energy in the tree, and there must be 700 to 800 nice large peaches on that tree.  I guess I was supposed to thin out some of the blossoms back in the spring but didn't get appropriate guidance (I need Dick and Jane directions when it comes to horticulture and agriculture).  Anyway, I ate the first ripe peach of the season the other day and it was very good, but the rest are about to ripen and I'll have a ton to share with neighbors and co-workers.  If you run by my house, feel free to pick a couple.  Smile

coastwalker I love grilled halloumi! Send some my way. I hardly ever see halloumi in my local stores.

TammyinGP I wish DW would let us have cats again. 

My days are filled with doctors these days. This morning it was off to get a second opinion. Then home. Ran 7. Then walked to the train station. On my way to meet DW her BFF and BFF's DH for dinner. It is an annual joint birthday dinner for my DW and her BFF. Their birthdays are just a day apart. As to DH of BFF, I used to like him. But his FB rants have really turned me off. I keep saying that posting three sentences about politics on FB will not change anyone's view about the issue. But it may change their views about you.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Nice run, Tammy.

Henry, it seems like it takes me the better part of a week to feel caught up after returning from a longish trip.

Tramps is turning into a real cycle bum!

A take-it-easy day with my only physical activity a session on the weight machines at the gym. I get pretty lax on this in the summer since I'm usually biking or running almost every day, and it shows when I finally get in there.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

BTY - Don't be so hard on yourself.  Any amount of running, walking, swimming, biking, etc. already makes you a winner.  And my easy running pace is about 2 minutes slower than yours - I would LOVE to have that as my easy running pace.

Twocat - re FB, I agree.

No run for me today, just about 35 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Roch, it also takes me a week or so to get over jet lag. But when I wake up at Jay time I find it helpful to go out for a run, have breakfast and then return to bed for a longish nap. We retired folk are fortunate to be able to do that.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Heavy sigh. A tough weekend here in Virginia.

80ish

humid. humid, humid.

NJTWILI

King Leonidas and I walked around the swamp. We met up with an older gentleman and his beagle. Ended up walking over one mile with the pair. It was a fun and lively discussion. I love real life human interaction with jovial people.

We went our separate ways and Leon and I walked on. Soon we met up with Bob and Scout by the retention pond. We had a nice chat. Bob is my neighbor and we've been friends for close to 18 years. He is a retired from the NYPD. Scout is a border collie. She and Leon get along just fine.

Blaine saw Dr. Lambert this morning. He has some plica syndrome thing and microtears in the meniscus. MRI to determine the extent of the damage.

The rs saw Dr. Lambert this afternoon. He might have a meniscus tear but other than that his knee "looks pretty good". He has to schedule an MRI.

I probably should start running again. It is so difficult to get into a routine with all the traveling.

Go make the world a better place.

Your friend,

RCG

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Four humid miles.

steph  

catwhoorg

Labrat

20 cycling in gorgeous weather after work.

Had a gap in the clouds and went for it

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Dave59

Just 2 miles this morning in a very light rain. Not enough rain to be breaking any forum rules.

Had a checkup with the doctor to go over the latest lab work. The main numbers are in line with our goals (cholesterol). I talked to him about my back issues and he had me go for xrays. I've gotten to the point where i just sort of live with it so i don't care what they find. I hope to get back in a work-out groove as long as it doesn't get worse.

The current activity going on in the wellness challenge at work is drinking 8 glasses of water per day and logging it in their web site. It isn't hard to do, especially if you heat the water and pour it over ground coffee beans or let it ferment with some hops first.