Masters Running

Ma Econo's RR: Woods Lady does well (Read 287 times)

RR. Ma Econo does well at hometown race. This was the Rhody Race 5K on May 16th :The race I had worked towards for since I started in Aug. of last year. Most of my friends and acquaintances don’t know I am running, so I wanted to do well. I had a cold that lingered before the race, and also, I had not improved my speed since the Napa 5K on March 1. The races (there was also a 10K) included 471 people, which was by far the biggest number in the 31-year history of the race in this little town. DD1 was with me. Econo couldn’t come. I knew the course well. I wore my long sleeved tech shirt, which looks nifty, but turned out to be a mistake, because it was sunny and hot, and I had expected fog and maybe wind. I also goofed and wore my signature cowboy handkerchief, and in the excitement, forgot to take it off before the race. So I was hot to start with. I had neglected to bring my own water, and there was none at the start of the race. Before the race was an up beat and well done warm up to peppy music. I loved it, but had to watch out that I didn’t spend a lot of energy just getting warmed up. I seem to do better when I do some sort of warm up, though. I placed myself about half way back. I moved once when a lady and a child got in ahead of me. I put myself in the middle of the road, because the road, which I had practiced on beforehand, started with a curve to the right, and then in about four blocks, there was a turn to the left. So I made a straight line of it. I was soon thirsty. My plan was to run what I could, and then walk, but when I walked, to remember to stretch out my legs and walk fast. Not to “just walk”, but to rest my heart and lungs while still making some time. There were many hills, it was hot, and in places there was traffic to watch out for. That traffic I did not appreciate. I passed up some good friends who were surprised, and acted like I would of course go along with them and chat, but after a few times back and forth, I was able to get ahead for good. They were very nice afterwards, though. There were others I waved to, etc., but in general, I kept the socializing under control, as my Coach had told me to do. I know how to squeeze the top of the water cup and also to drink the water not while I was running or passing someone, but when going a little slower, and not dealing with other things and distractions. I think I learned that on RA. I tried to turn up the heat at mile two, and that worked for a while. I knew I had a hill of two blocks at the very end of the race, so just before that, I slowed down a little to get my breath, and then poured it on the best I could to the end. When I came in, the announcer (he knows me) gave my name and age (70). Thanks, I guess! I had not seen any women my age, but that was because they were all behind me! The Mayor took off my tag. He knows me too, but didn’t seem to recognize me! Then I saw my DH, and Robby the Aussie. Nice surprise. I have a problem right after the end of a race almost every time. I get dizzy and want to hang on to something. I find that if I keep walking a little bit, and get to the water and food as soon as I can, I get right over it, but still, I don’t like the feeling. Anybody have that problem? I came in just 6 seconds slower than my PR at Napa. Napa was, though, completely flat, and had chip timing, and I had lost a few seconds getting to the start line, and maybe two or three trying to start my watch with the wrong button. I am very happy with my results. I finished the race in 42 min, 16 sec for a 13:38 pace. My best race, everything concerned. I was 1 of 8 in my age group. I hope to run an 8K soon.
    Slo

Congrats on a top age group finish ! Great report and I love your competiveness........moving when a lady and child snuck in ahead of you knowing they were going to slow you down. Not socializing......hell yea....it's a race right ? It appears you had an excellent race plan and executed perfectly. Your an inspiration.
      TammyinGP

Rockin'MaEcono!! Way to go at the Rhody Run! And I'm glad to see that rather than elbow that child out of the way at the start of the race - you just chose a different position to start out at. I hope someone is paying attention to that Tight lipped congratulations on your 1st AG!! and out of a field of 8! Way to go!

Tammy

Hi Tammy. Thanks! I saw you were carrying a small water bottle in GP last fall. It seemed to fit around your wrist. What was that? How much water? Where did you get it? Also, we were given in the packet some gum droppy chews with caffeine in the center, and I liked those for race days. What were they? Woods Lady

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Greta job MaEcono!! I had no idea that you were supposed to squeeze the top of the cup - I will try that this weekend!! Maybe I'll actually get some in my mouth. Roll eyes Conratulations on 1st place in your AG! I bet you would have had a PR if the course was flat. Cheers!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

TammyinGP

Hi Ma I use a handheld water bottle by Amphipod http://www.amphipod.com/overview/overview.html I like it because the hand strap is very comfortable and stays put. I don't need to constantly be gripping my bottle. And it has a nice little zip pocket to put in my keys, ID, a gu or two if I need it, etc. What they handed out at the GP race was Powerbar Gel Blasts. http://www.powerbar.com/products/19/POWERBAR_GEL_BLAST_Lemon.aspx You should be able to purchase either of these products at a running store - or even a sporting goods store might have them. Or I'm sure your coach would be happy to hook you up also! Cool

Tammy

Terrific race and first in AG!! You rock! I like your idea of taking the straight line. It does shave lots of seconds off the time you know. Dizzy I don't know. But it is never a good idea (for anyone) to come to a complete stop after pushing hard.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

coastwalker

Hi Woods Lady, Congrats on a well-run race, and your 1st place AG triumph! Finishing only 6 sec. off your PR on a warm day and on a challenging course is quite an accomplishment, and shows how far you've come in just a short couple of months. Congrats also on showing your friends (and the Mayor!) just how talented a runner you are! I am also a bit light-headed after some of my races, and I tend to think it is because I don't take in enough fluids during those races. When I drink more I feel better and recover more quickly. Race tip: When a race course is measured, the person doing the measuring takes the shortest route possible. That means that he/she takes the inside of every turn and every curve. So when you run down the middle of the road, you are going yards further than the course requires, and are losing time to the runner who cuts all the tangents. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

#artbydmcbride

Excellent racing and great report! Congratulations on the hardware! Smile Smile Any special training for the 8k?

Runners run

Renee the dog

You're Number 1!!!!! Very cool! I can't help you on the lightheaded thing 'cause I have that all the time -- running, not running, etc. I figure I'm just an airhead. Clowning around Thanks for the race report. Nice to read.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Congrats, Woods Lady! And you didn't have to throw any elbows this time. Big grin Re the dizziness - it would probably help a lot if you carried some fluids with you and, as others have said, don't stop suddenly at the end. Walk around for a bit and get some food and fluid in you. Just in case none are provided at the race, carry a little something in your car. We don't want you falling over and cracking your head open 'cause of undernourishment. It just doesn't look right coming from the person who got first place in her AG. Woo hoo!

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

First of all, congrats and well done. As others have mentioned a hot hilly course should be way tougher than a cool, flat one, so you are improving. You also learned a few things about race tactics by your own experience and from others' input here. Let me just recap a few: 1) Show up to the race having eaten a light meal a couple of hours before and be well-hydrated but not bloated. 2) Never take it for granted what the starting time weather will be like. Bring a bag of various race apparel so you can quick change. Most frequent racers have all sorts of tops for this purpose. 3) What Jay said about how the course is measured, always run the tangent, the shortest way you can go. 4) During the walk portions, quicker shorter steps are generally faster paced than longer strides where you said you "stretched the legs out". You can prove this to yourself on a running track. All of us here are very excited to see how well you are running. And I am also very impressed to see that you drove the course in advance; that's pro racing. Well done. Spareribs
                            Thanks for your advice, Spareribs. That is interesting about the quick steps as opposed to the long steps, and I will indeed try that out! I had no idea! Econo taught me about the tangent right after my first walk/run, when I surprised her, and just showed up, but I had figured that out. Yep, from now on, I will have shirts of various kinds in my car, and especially water and I do carry food, but maybe make sure I have some bananas. I have a little secret that helps me with the dizzyness. I am aware of GU, but have not used it, because until now I have not needed water on my 5K runs, so have not carried or stopped for it. I read that it is to be used with water. Now I have warm weather, am going faster, and have visions of running longer. However, I have a tendency to have low blood sugar, so always carry gum drops in my pocket for races. I usually have one or two at about mile 2, and a couple at the end. I swear they help me. Also, I head right to the water, Gatoraid, and bananas or oranges afterwards. Ileneforward. Yep - the 8K. I plan to train by going further on the woods road. I don't know the distance, but will use my pace as my guide, and go further each time or so. Same with running on the beach. I can do that. Those will be my "Long Runs". My ultimate goal for 2009 is to do a 10K. So far I have done one 6K and one 8K. I'd like those to become comfortable, then move on. There are few of the odd distance races, so I am on the lookout. I think I am more likely to be able to go further than faster. So for now, I will concentrate on distance over speed. Thanks, everybody, for the kind words and tips. WoodsLady

#artbydmcbride

Woods Lady, I highly approve of your 8k training plan. Smile

Runners run

SteveP

way to bust butt!!!! You race smart and work hard. It's paying off.

SteveP