Masters Running

Wednesdaily, 8.15.18 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday's workouts:

RunnerKSA (4 slow miles with keeping HR down + 1.2 post-race TM miles)

C-R (early AM 6.2 miles)

aaneb (6AM hourish EZ run )

Holly (3.3 miles, including 10X100M + 25 min of weights/core)

Pfirese (Tuesday ladder intervals - 8.6 miles including w/u & c/d)

Tammy (evening board meeting cross-training)

Henrun (3.1 old mile reservoir laps with neg. splits)

Marj (power walked opposite direction of Henrun)

Twocat (pre-work upper body weights)

Fatozzig (2X15 minimal bridges + upper body and gut/back work)

Dave59 (morning 4 miles in the park with growing humidity)

Tomwhite (60 min HH 3-1s in 92° at soccer fields)

Holly (1.5 post-work TM miles at the Y + spin/weights class) 

Spacityrunner (4 mile walk on the greenway with a friend)

Falconfixer (3.5 post-sleep in miles in fog + post-lunch 20 mile group bike ride w/ 1,000 ft climbing)

StarrRuns (2.5 mile morning jog by the calm lake in mild & muggy weather)

Evanflein (5.5 post-work miles in light rain)

Tavel well, KSA.

I hope DD did well with her potatoes, C-R.

So sorry about your brother, Tomwhite.

Marj, you've got it: keeping the toe up on landing in racewalking uses shim muscles more than we're used to, which is why they hurt. (We tell newbies that if their shins hurt, they are doing it right.) Given time, it'll go away. Staring with a 1/2-mile warm up walk can help too. I'm glad the arm pump is working for you.

Interesting technique, Dave, with its pros & cons.

Yeah, Mike might be crazy…

Wildchild, I'm sure that Twocat would/will tell you that Rule #1 ALWAYS applies.

Spacityrunner - I agree with Tet; acupuncture is not a "one and done" treatment. I'd give it at least 3-4 treatments before passing judgement. You could also ask the needle wielder how long it should take before you see results.

Our house guests were going to be in for dinner last night till a nearby friend of theirs said he'd meet them for dinner. So DW and I had a make-shift dinner on our own. Tonight we're all going out for dinner, and tomorrow I have a 6PM race. So before we go out tonight, I'll make tomorrow's dinner (which will be easily reheatable) so everyone else can enjoy it while I'll be out walking my cute little butt off at the race. How does this make sense?

7.1 RW miles this morning in 70° with dense fog and lots of muggy. I tried to get a little speed going, but there was just nothing there when I pressed on the accelerator. Doesn't bode well for tomorrow's race, but I'll just wait and see what happens when the gun goes off.

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.

So sorry, Tom.

on the parking lot shuttle at the airport. Made it this far.  2 early morning treadmill miles.  See y’all later!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

Thanks Jay - yoga this morning.  hope you come home with a shirt (I have a couple)

more later,

marj

...thanks guys.....

quick post to holly///.........try to add more Fiber to your diet,

and

take a sip of whatever you're drinking between bites

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning folks. Thanks for the recap Jay. And yes, it seems very wrong that you're preparing a great dinner and won't be around to enjoy it. Good luck with the race though!

Safe travels KSA. I never know where you're off to. Is this trip business or pleasure?

Hi Marj!

Thanks Tom. I do find that when I put my fork down, chew slowly and drink a lot of water with dinner, I eat less. Unfortunately I don't do that enough. And I've put on a few pounds since I haven't stopped eating like I'm still running. Gotta do something about that...

5 miles on the elliptical this morning, 20 minutes of weights and core and a 4 1/2 mile run/walk with the Y girls to finish everything off. It is muggy, muggy, muggy here. And we really need rain. None in the forecast for a while. Our grass crunches when you walk on it

Have a great day everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

while I'll be out walking my cute little butt off at the race. 

TomWhite - thanks, but I really am getting a lot of fiber and fluids.   I have not really made changes to what I eat other than cutting a few things out - not adding anything new.  I have actually been kind of concerned because I have been bloated and kind of full in the evenings, even though I have not eaten anything since a light lunch at noon.  Of course, all kinds of crazy things go through my head, but I refuse to start Googling causes to scare myself...

Everything was kind of tired this morning from the double workout yesterday, so my run was very slow and easy.

6 miles total in 71 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

This trip is our usually August get away to Crested Butte, CO.  Long drive from Denver, but it’s worth it.  We have friends there who we visit, although this year we aren’t staying with them because they weren’t sure when they were heading back to TN so we just grabbed a condo nearby.    I’m on the plane now with an hour or so to go.  Ran into a co-worker who is Southwest A List Preferred.  I’m just regular A List.  He signed me in to his free wifi so I didn’t have to spring for the  $8 to keep us with work and play on the internet.  We like to go to CO this particular week because most of the crowds (to the extent there are “crowds&rdquoWink have left Crested Butte to go back to school etc but it’s still gorgeous weather.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...30-min on Precor AMT......

may not sound impressive,

but

if I can do it two times in a row I plan to be a Happy Guy......

Tom - I watched the video of that machine.  Staying for any amount of time without falling off impresses me. 

Holly - Give your body time to adjust.  Stress in any form does weird things to us, including not helping with weight loss, and I find as I get older the harder it is to to adjust weight.

If Rule #1 ALWAYS applies, I'd never get to run in the winter.

I think I'm going to cancel my ortho appt for Friday. Hwy 299, the main highway between us and Redding, is still closed due to fires.  The other, crappy-unless-you're-on-an-easy-scenic-drive highway, Hwy 36, has reinstated closures from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. for ongoing, never-ending, it'll still going to be going on 20 years from now road construction.  Since 36 is the only way anyone from here can get to Redding at this point, including semis (unless you drive 3 hrs south to cross 20 to I5 and then back up), we'd have to leave no later than 5:00 a.m. for a 10:40 appt to make it through the closures and then couldn't head back until 5:00 p.m.  Can't leave the night before because I have a house full coming over for Bonkos.  The travel time makes it just not worth it right now.

Speaking of eating too much - I just wolfed down two salmon patties and rice in like 3 seconds flat . . . and stunk up the office with warmed up fish smell in the process.  It's the little things that are keeping me sane right now. 

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

It's the little things that are keeping me sane right now. 

....eerrr......I think I have some Bad News for you....

It's the little things that are keeping me sane right now. 

....eerrr......I think I have some Bad News for you....

Image result for insanity cartoon

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

Did I mention I have issues with hotel treadmills?  Managed 10k but ugh. No other option as it is near 100 here in Vegas.

DD's angry baked potatoes won Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion at the fair. She was very happy. As was the owner who sold said angry baked potatoes for a hefty profit.

Good racing tomorrow Jay.

Enjoy CO Karen.

Eating slower is a great idea. I shall try this.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

Karen, have fun in Crested Butte!

The air quality isn't great here today because of smoke, so I drove to the rec center. I rode 7 miles in 30 minutes on the stationary bike, and pushed it enough to work up a sweat.  Then I did some weights, and tried to run a few gentle laps on the indoor track. I alternated running a lap and walking a lap, but my knee wasn't too happy, so I stopped at 2 running laps - a whole 1/8 mile running!  Baby steps...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Quickadder

Early morning 7.4 easy miles with DD. She saw a shooting star, but I was either looking at the road or had my eyes closed. That reminds me, any of the RW crowd heard from or in contact with NB4?

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

A lot of people here dealing with smoke and fires right now. I will keep wishing for a big honking rain storm to go through the west and end it all. Maybe we can redirect the seemingly endless rain we are getting on the east coast your way.

Today I got all of my medical appointments set up from now until the operation. Surgery is set for a week from next Monday. Tomorrow I go to pick up my orthotic. Friday I see a urologist to make sure my urinary system cooperates this time, unlike last year after my tongue surgery. Next week it is a pre-op meeting with the surgeon and the anesthesiologist. The latter will be there because I have had trouble coming out of anesthesia in the past and it would be nice if nothing went wrong. Man, are operations fun or what! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/