Masters Running

Tue Sep 23 Runs and Workouts (Read 537 times)

Good morning, everyone! Nice easy 4 for the real start of my taper for Portland, OR on Oct 5. 4 striders thrown in in the 3rd mile. Beautiful morning to run, although somewhat dark Smile . Stoopid equinox. 4.1 miles, 37:02, 9:05/mi, AHR 141

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

The Jogger

Morning Gang Lou, your taper is my tempo runSmile nice pace and thanks for starting us off. Went out with the wood boy for an undulating 5 m trail run, nice crisp morning although it looked cold so it took me a while to get out the door. Anyway 5m 47:24 @ 09:29 AHR 156 74% WHR 10:05/148, 11:08/150, 09:36/155, 08:20/164, 08:14/170 Good Runs All Roy

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Nice run this morning Lou. Did you really get clipped by a car the other day? Cracker of a run Roy! I'm sure Woody enjoyed it too. 5:05 a.m. - 55 degrees - 5 miles 9:44 Avg. pace 157 Avg. HR During mile 4 a bunny wabbit decided to get Brinley's attention and run right down the side of the road rather than ditch it into the woods. Stupid wabbit! Finally it stopped teasing us . . . I felt like a Greyhound for a couple of minutes. Happy 2s'Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone...nice runs already this morning Lou, Roy, and Mary Smile Well, need to get payroll done for my guys, so just a quick post of my run. 4 easy recovery miles, but wanted to run more but better rest after my big mileage weekend. Have a great day everyone Smile I wanted to say this post broke my heart when I read it last night, and I did shed a tear or two...we are with you and thinking the best for your son Jeanne Reporting in late today. 45 minutes on the eliptical with leg and ab work at the Y, 5:00 AM this morning. Haven't slept much in the last few days and didn't want to run three days in a row on tired legs. Just wanted to say thanks for all the good wishes. DS#1 and I dropped DS#2 at his check-in point yesterday afternoon. Lots of tears were shed, and he made the statement "I don't think I want to do this" more than once. I told him I was sorry - I couldn't get him out of this one and this was going to be the best experience of his life - he just needed to take one day at a time. So, I cried a little on the drive home but I'm convinced that this is the best option for him. I read him the Robert Frost poem "The Road Not Taken" and hope that made an impact: " Two roads diverged in a yellow wood And Sorry I could not travel both And be one traveler, long I stood And looked down one as far as I could To where it bent in the undergrowth Then took the other, as just as fair And having perhaps the better claim Because it was grassy and wanted wear Though as for that the passing there Had worn them really about the same And both that morning equally lay In leaves no step had trodden black Oh, I kept the first for another day Yet knowing how way leads on to way I doubted if I should ever come back I shall be telling this with a sigh Somewhere ages and ages hence Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference" Have a great evening, everyone. Jeanne Thanks for feeling comfortable enough here to share something so heart felt. I have 3 children in the Military, so I can somewhat relate to your feelings. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Aamos wrote:
            Don't you hope we'll be just like her when we're Super Veteran Grand Masters, or whatever term they'll have to invent for us b/c so many of us will demand a new category? Cool
            Yes!
            {1} 3:30, 4th female, 1st masters, red shorts, black maniac shirt. Neg. split and last 3 full miles: 7:32/7:44/7:33
            But I can only dream about running like this. You are amazing! Today’’s workout was a wave run of sorts: 2 mile WU Mile 3: 8:52. Mile 4: 10:34 Mile 5: 8:43 Mile 6: 11:01 Mile 7: 8:40 2 mile CD 9 miles total, and I still felt pretty sproinky at the end. Maybe the cool temps made the difference, but this was the best run I’ve had since before my injury. Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good Morning, The week is zooming by---or at least it feels that way. I am still in Boone, NC and have a later start today. I still got out for a run at 6 AM and this time took it easy with 8 miles at 8:30 pace. It is spectacular here at this time of year (you are so right Peter) and the temps and feeling in the air remind me of home. The Berkshires near where I live will be ablaze in color soon and you can start to see the leaves turning here. There were lots of students out exercising and the men’s cross-country team streamed by me while on their morning run. Ah to be 19-22 years old without a hitch in one’s stride! My run felt good and it was another clear and cool morning at 47F. I don’t know about a Muslim community here Stumpy. I asked and the folks at App. State said not really. Home tonight and no plane travel until next Tuesday-----last really long run (23 miles) coming up on 9/28---thank goodness. Have a great day all, CNYrunner Big cyber hugs to (((((((Jeanne))))))) MTA: Great news Holly...on your way back. Aamos is phenomenal even if she won't cop to idol status---she is mine and managing her fan mail is a full time job these days!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good Morning! (((((((Jeanne))))))) I can't even imagine how it feels. He'll be very fine and you'll see much maturity develop. Lou.. taper baby!! Enjoy CNY.. Boone must have been chilly this morning. 2 miles at 10:25 and 10:01 with Tory to loosen the bum leg. Then 6 miles at 8:27 pace feeling better and better. Overall 8 mi in 1:11:05 (8:53 pace, AHR 156). Hope Dr today will call for MRI to see if I'm on the right track. Have great runs!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Today I decided to do some short 1/4 mile Intervals that are on Day 1 of the FIRST Half Marathon training program. Depending on whether I use my last 5K time (current conditioning) or my PR 5K, the target paces are between 1:39 and 1:43. I decided to use my current conditioning and target 1:43 per 1/4 mile and try to run them by feel. So, 8.5 miles altogether with 12 x 1/4 mile with 90 seconds rest intervals between each. My Garmin logged the 1/4 miles at: 1:51 (7:24) 1:49 (7:16) 1:46 (7:04) 1:44 (6:56) 1:46 (7:04) 1:44 (6:56) 1:44 (6:56) 1:42 (6:48 ) 1:43 (6:52) 1:41 (6:44) 1:41 (6:44) 1:41 (6:44) A little slow getting started, but good at the end. I don't think I've ever seen 6's at the beginning of any paces for any distance - ever. I had little left for the last 3 or 4, but I got them done. I walked a bunch of the Intervals but that's okay. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow - great job Byll! Perch - I hope you get your MRI! {{{Jeanne}}} It'll get better. Nice recovery run Tim. I talked to my neighber about your 22 mile suggestion and she is game. Wonderful run this morning Holly!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Wow some great runs already. I am waiting till the day warm ups before I go do a tempo run. Take a look at this new New Balance commercial if you have not seen it yet. Funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9IxvAZKCD0 or this racier one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJFsE4bz_SQ&feature=related

Recent Best times: None recently

King of PhotoShop

so just a quick post of my run. 4 easy recovery miles, wanted to run more but better rest after my big mileage weekend. Tim
                        The 4 easy recovery miles are not just because you ran so long over the weekend, but to prepare you for your track workout on Wednesday. Workouts should be forward thinking, not backward looking. Bill, that's an encouraging workout, especially the volume of 400's. Where did you come up with the 90 second interval? These were not all-out were they? I suspect you were feeling pretty fresh toward the end. Nice splits. Well, I guess then I'll join in with everyone else and like Aamos too, but I am kicking and screaming as I go. *&%$# Jets, *&%@#$ Brett Favre! Will do a walk/run this morning with the Saint. Spareribs

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Steve, take it easy on that leg until you hear something.... Spectacular Fall morning here today 60'ish and sunny when I finished up this morning. Beautiful crisp stars in the sky at 6:00AM and a beautiful sunrise as I finished up my run. 10.18 miles of hills @ 9:04 pace today running in a brand new pair of Asics -2130's. Enjoy the beautiful weather.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Spareribs I am a Charger fan, hope this doesn't put me on the enemy list.
                              Nice run this morning Lou. Did you really get clipped by a car the other day?
                              Seriously? No -- remember the source of the statement. Smile (it was my hat which was run over)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

The 4 easy recovery miles are not just because you ran so long over the weekend, but to prepare you for your track workout on Wednesday. Workouts should be forward thinking, not backward looking.
                                Ribs, in my statement I was doing a recovery run looking ahead to my track workout. If not, I would have ran 10 or more miles last night. In other words, why would I need a recovery run if I was not recovering from something? I guess my post should have read...4 easy recovery miles, but wanted to run more but better rest after my big mileage weekend, and get ready for my track workout Weds So I was thinking backward, looking forward Confused That sounded kind of goofy Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!